Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you a Mac or PC user?

Nightfall Veilwing

8 minutes ago, ProjectRKA said:

Because of mac fanboys. :ButtercupLaugh:

You can literally build a windows pc that is about as good as a mac and save money in the process.

Do you know if you can build a Windows PC that looks like an iMac, even down to the thinness of one? :mlp_ooh:

2 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

Do you know if you can build a Windows PC that looks like an iMac, even down to the thinness of one? :mlp_ooh:

You can't really build a laptop. But there are very thin windows laptops.

1 hour ago, Millennium Shadow said:

What can you do with it? You can't run software made for Windows on it without some sort of software for compatibility, can you? :mlp_ooh:

On this linux mint laptop, I just use it for customization, talking to my friends on discord in private, watching videos and MLP. Especially since my other laptop has a broken screen

I'm a PC user currently working on Windows 10.

On 2022-11-25 at 9:58 PM, Millennium Shadow said:

Also, is it true that Macs are ideal for creative works, or does it actually come down to personal prefrence on wether you use a Mac or a PC for creative works? :adorkable:

From what I've heard, the app/software selection is a bit more strict on macs, and these are optimized well for the operating system there. The OS itself is probably neater and optimized better for its devices too. This means, that the programs are stable and there are no random crashes, or at least close to none. No one likes to lose precious progress just because a program crashed for whatever reason, and that's where macs seemingly perform better, and are a better choice for professional content creators overall, due to being more reliable. ...Or so I've heard.

I suppose it's somewhat like comparing iOS to Android. iOS is supposedly optimized well and has much better memory management than Android, so a worse phone (in terms of specification, like less RAM) on iOS may actually perform better than a better phone on Android. There's a limited amount of devices, that run on iOS, making it far easier for Apple and app developers to optimize their software for these devices, unlike with Android, which is present in tons of different devices from different brands, where even two phones with seemingly the same specification may behave differently, not to mention all these different Android distros (basically customized operating systems based on Android, that brands like to make for their devices). Perhaps something similar applies to PC & Macs?

I never owned Mac, nor any other Apple devices, so I'm unable to share my own experiences.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

PC user since forever. I do know how to operate a Mac though, since we pretty much have to use it in college.

I use PC personally. Mac unfortunately is neglected a lot by gaming companies from what I saw which makes me unable to even look that way. That and I've been using PC my whole life so I am already used to computers with Windows on them. 

I exclusively use PC.

I actually know someone who uses Macs, and they once had me try to fix and/or find something for them (It's been too long, I don't remember specifics) because they are, to quote the person in question, "computer illiterate". I was very confused and figuratively dizzy at the interface.

Aren’t they both doing the same thing today? You are basically a subscriber to the internet through their tracking and selling your information. The Facebook way.

I’m using PC for all my work related things.

• Brohoof 1

Got PCs (my main gaming pc, my laptop, and my media centre pc), I do prefer macos now that i've learned how to use it, but now that Windows 11 is a lot better than Windows 10 for me, so I don't really feel like I need to switch anymore.

2 hours ago, The Spitfire Simp said:

Got PCs (my main gaming PC, my laptop, and my media center PC), but I do prefer MacOS now that I've learned how to use it, but now that Windows 11 is a lot better than Windows 10 for me, I don't really feel like I need to switch anymore.

Is it true that Windows 11 is/was terrible? I heard it was awful. :eww:

I don't plan on using Windows 11, but I did find a tutorial on how make make Windows 10 look like Windows 11. :P

Spoiler

And can Windows be used for creative works like Macs? :mlp_ooh:

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

Is it true that Windows 11 is/was terrible? I heard it was awful. :eww:

I don't plan on using Windows 11, but I did find a tutorial on how make make Windows 10 look like Windows 11. :P

Reveal hidden contents

And can Windows be used for creative works like Macs? :mlp_ooh:

It's SO much better than Windows 10
it's so stable, you don't need to fuck about with the registry for it to not be so bloated, and yeah it's just so much better it's unreal

Windows *can* be used for creative works, but Macs are more efficient at it, and often more reliable
So yeah you can use windows, you just need to account for paying a lot more when it comes to your hardware to get equivulant editing speeds

I'm definitely a PC User on both Linux and Windows.

I had and have to work with MACs occasionally at work, thought that is never really enjoyable to me 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

Always been a PC/Windows user. Trying a little to get into Linux but that will take time since that's all about nitty-gritty customization and lots of trial and error. As much as I want to, I can't get creative when I'm troubleshooting compatibility problems!

I personally lean away from any Apple products since they can be more difficult to repair or upgrade, because Apple does want customers to buy the shiniest new product they release.

Not like PC/Windows doesn't have that issue either (laptops and certain prebuilts where they are generally more likely to use proprietary, or in other words just oddly shaped and designed hardware that nobody else makes).

Also I just can't get a hold of their OS. The way they have it is not my cup of tea.

Plus, after building my first PC... that's fun! Could've spent less on everything but whatever it works and I'm doing well with it

I was also curious on the whole "Mac vs PC for creatives" debate and it stems from the 90s/2000s. This was from my browsing of old old old forums and boards of musicians and composers debating on this issue of that period, so mind you that's only one wave of the creative spectrum. I did this digging a few months ago so I'm trying to recollect my memory as best as I can now.

In a nutshell, back then Mac had more stable and reasonable specs for the price compared to PC/Windows. Windows machines were a bit all over the place with their hardware configurations (still is today lol) whereas Mac was more consistent.

Now though, that whole debate is not as extreme as it was decades ago and it definitely is just a fanboys thing or something that older folks hold onto (outdated info) when it's no longer the case. Only because Apple products are way too overpriced for what they are. They're good products with a high price tag and they can market themselves well.

Both Mac and PC/Windows can do whatever creative work you want given that you meet specific hardware requirements for whatever software you want to use.

I've seen many people use 10+ year old Macs and can do their creative work just fine. Same with PC. 

The worst things today though from what I can tell:

Windows is relatively more bloated with unnecessary software and telemetry (not that Mac doesn't do that, it's just Microsoft has made it quite bad on Windows). There's ways to get around and remove it but that does take trial and error, though less so vs. something like Linux since a lot of the methods and tools out there for that purpose are "foolproof" now (speaking from personal experience but thankfully many are free guides to follow or free open source tools). Not doing so may eat up precious performance on CPU and memory, which are vital to ensure a smooth experience with creativity (don't wanna worry about any unwanted hiccups, lags, stuttering, slowdowns, whatever else you can imagine that can be an issue in any creative work).

With Mac AFAIK there's 2 main problems for creatives: OS updates breaking compatibility (either bridge older software or pray that the developer of that software makes a compatible update which may not be compatible with a future update again) or compatibility concerning M1 CPU's vs. older Intel CPU's (bridging may fix that if that software is a must-have and the devs haven't updated it for the newer M1 CPU's).

As a side note, "AMD vs. Intel" popped up a lot alongside "Mac vs PC." for creative work too when I originally looked. They seemed to go hand-in-hand. If Mac vs. PC was mentioned, someone would derail it with AMD vs. Intel.

Back then, Intel was regarded as much more stable and worked much more smoothly with drivers and popular software of that time. AMD, while they did hold their own ground in performance for a while a few decades ago, specifically with gaming and overclocking records, would result in more crashing and instability. So, Intel was recommended just as a safe bet because troubleshooting compatibility and crashing problems takes away from creative work.

Now though, as an AMD user using a Ryzen CPU, I can confidently say there's no noticeable problems on AMD's side. And people using modern Intel CPU's have no problems either. Same with M1 folks, though there is that concern with current compatibility in the Mac ecosystem with older software that was only made with Intel-based Mac's in mind that needs to be bridged if they're needed for work. Otherwise, everything is absolutely running alright for everyone!

• Brohoof 1

I do not use Apple products. The company is evil with its anti-repair nonsense, but that's not the reason. The reason is that I don't need them. I can use a PC with Windows or Linux, it is easier to modify and repair it and I do not like the look of Apple devices. 

Linux is a good alternative to Windows, a lot of Windows programs can run on Wine and now even a lot of games can run on Linux thanks to Valve.

• Brohoof 1

I myself have been an avid linux user for about a decade or so :laugh:

That said, I would probably say it's not for everypony. It's definitely a more rewarding and enjoyable experience for the more technically inclined. That's not to say you shouldn't use it if you're not, just that you'll appreciate it more if you are. It has improved a LOT over the last decade, to the point that I no longer even worry about whether or not I'll be able to play a game with my friends or something. It's safe to assume that, barring a few edge cases, everything just works.

• Brohoof 1

I used Linux for servers for over a decade, but only recently started using it on my ultra-portables and that is because I dislike Windows 10 and 11, but I could not make Windows 7 or 8 run on them properly.

• Brohoof 1

I've always been a Windows lad. I have tried out Linux and really enjoyed it but flight sims don't really play that well with it. Not surprising since they barely run on Windows sometimes lol. But most of my other games work pretty well though which is impressive. I'd probably switch to Linux if it weren't for the flight sims not working.

I've never tried MacOS, simply because I've never owned a Mac or gone through the process of making a hackintosh. Really the only Apple products I've owned are iPods and iPads, since Android tablets are really underwhelming. I have thought about trying out iOS and the iPhone just out of curiosity, maybe buy an old used iPhone and try it out.

Edited by Iforgotmybrain