Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E40 - Secret Canter

Ashen Pathfinder

Title: Secret Canter
Release Date: December 15, 2022
Written By: Alex Collier
Synopsis: N/A

NOTE: Another compilation following the actual episode!

• Brohoof 2

Just waiting on them to make on of these episodes 20 minutes... I'll hold my breath 

Sparky "almost" ruined it for me, it's like with his magic we can just have him blow his magic fire on anything to make it better lol, but Izzy being sentimental saved the day on this one. Really liked that, "can't improve perfection" lol 

I thought it was alright, maybe they'll all get different tradition episodes 

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Savygriffs said:

Really loving the Holiday episodes!:D

Pipp's faces in this one were so good omg

I am, too!

It feels like these recent TYT shorts are a second Winter Wishday "special episode" when you watch them together. :rarityhat:

• Brohoof 1

All of the holiday episodes have been really good and this one is no exception! It was so awesome seeing everypony make something for the each other, but it didn’t matter what it looked like because they made it with their hearts. :BrightMacContent:

It had some funny moments too with everypony struggling to make their gifts and Sunny got covered in glue trying to make her present. :P

As usual, a really good episode and this episode is number 40 too! Keep on trucking, G5B)

• Brohoof 4

The two holiday episodes preceding this one are better, but it's aight. Some of this fart humor is getting stale (I was already tired of the fart noise gag with the dough after it was used twice in Foal Food), but I do like how hard Izzy tries to make Secret Santa seem like a serious ritual. It's really funny how much emphasis she places on secrecy before she repeatedly declares herself to be the one who made the crafting belt gifts and starts writing in a diary in front of everybody at the end. 

• Brohoof 1

Sparky's sneeze ends up making things better. Yeah... That was pretty much a deux ex machina moment right there, but it was a very cute one which was deserved as they had all worked hard on their individual projects. At least we now know that Izzy is the expert when it comes to putting things together.

• Brohoof 1

Wow another holidays episode? Well that's interesting. Anyways, Izzy was quite interesting in this episode, from her intimidation voice to her interesting traditions and sentimentalism. Also, I think that between this, the other TYT holiday episodes and The Winter Wishday special, we're starting to get a pretty clear picture of each character's holiday traditions and how they share them with each other. Also, the use of Sparky as a plot device is getting quite old. It feels like they want something to happen within five minutes, so they just throw some dragon fire magic at the end.

• Brohoof 2

One other thing I noticed, and as an ex gambler I am a man of probability, the chances of none of them out of 4, a 1/4 chance, it's x4 though since they're each drawing a name, NOT drawing their own name, it's reduced Everytime a pony draws someone else's name, eventually those odds were likely 50/50 lol, destiny :kirin:

• Brohoof 1

It's, okay.  The weakest of the current holiday episodes we've gotten so far, in my opinion.  The continued development of Unicorn ritual like behaviors to traditions is neat and Izzy plays it all quite well.

Seeing Sunny struggle to make a gift seemed a little odd to me.  As the movie set up Sunny to be somewhat crafty herself, not to Izzy's level of course.  With all her posters, stickers and other Unity propaganda.  Maybe that falls more in artsy, but meh, still seemed a little odd to me. 

Sparky almost ruins the message.  Okay, ruin might be harsh, maybe damage the message.  'It's the thought that counts.'  Oh, Sparky can just sneeze, burp, hiccup or fart and now everything is fixed and perfect.  Please nerf. 

Luckily Izzy saves the day by preventing the dragon from touching her gift.  "You can't improve perfection," that's sweet.

• Brohoof 4

The moment they were setting their simultaneously-ruined gifts on the coffee table, I knew something magic would happen and fix them all.  That seems to happen a lot in G-5:  Zipp and Izzy make a dilapidated trolley with wings that are falling off, and the magic lantern turns it into a sleek, modern-looking airship with advanced tech.  The airship is crashing, and the lantern causes it to stabilize.

Magic is turning into a predictable deus ex machina that the mane five aren't even controlling; I understand that magic is relatively new to the G-5 world, and IMO things like the "frostyshivers" and "warm wishiehoof" incantations from Bridlewood are well-done examples of how they haven't really figured magic out, yet.  But when it's used as a deus ex machina like this, it feels like it's making things too easy for the mane five.

EDIT:  I just remembered that Sparky farted fire.  Spike never did that!

Edited by HereComesTom
  • Brohoof 2