Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dark Qiviut

Title: A Home to Share
Release Date: April 7, 2021, 8am Pacific.
Written By: Jessica Silcock & Naomi Smith
Synopsis: ”Sunny and the ponies try to make the Crystal Bright House better on the inside rather than the outside.” (Copied & pasted from the G5 Wiki.)
Note: This is the first episode of Tell Your Tale, released on YouTube by Hasbro. Each episode is five minutes long. Also, one of the three episodes released prematurely in international markets (before the videos became private).

The OP will be edited accordingly. Meanwhile, sit back, relax, and enjoy some new Pony! :yay:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I saw something that this was up on YouTube and watched like a minute. NOT impressed with the animation AT ALL.:scoots:

From what I've seen so far, things seem less spazzed out than Pony Life. I don't know though, I still don't really care all that much about these characters. I did watch the movie too already.

Izzy is the only one I do kind of like, design (3D design) and personality wise. She's kind of like a less crazy Pinkie.

I'll probably watch more when I have time, to better see what I think of the writing, but I definitely consider that animation style lazy and unappealing to my taste.

Edit: I watched three of them- didn't realize they were so short. I still think it's just kind of meh so far. Then, since I was on the Hasbro YouTube, I clicked on a G4 clip and the animation was DEFINITELY better in G4.

For the "Intended age" demographic, I'd say it's OK, WAY better than Pony Life. In terms of the MLP fandom, I'm pretty sure I'm on the older side of average anyways at 33. There's a lot going on in my life at this point competing for my time. G4 specifically caught my attention due to the animation being Flash (something I've done some animating in), and because a lot of the cast/crew were involved in cartoons I liked and grew up with. Both factors really are just not there for me with G5, and the characters themselves just aren't as likable to me so far.

Also, does anyone know if this "shorts" format is what Hasbro is doing for G5, or are they planning to do an actual normal type/length series or something?

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm watching Tell Your Tale.

It's... actually not that bad?

If Make Your Mark is dinner, than Tell Your Tale would be a bag of chips you eat to tide you over between meals.

Also, Hasbro released FOUR episodes today, so you might want to make threads for the other three.

Edited by CastletonSnob
  • Brohoof 4

Well sense there aren't any other threads for the other 3 episodes released today, I'm just going to use this one to cover my thoughts on the first 4 episodes as a whole.  With this in mind here are my overall thoughts on them so far:

Firstly It didn't really take long for me to get to used to the new voice actors.  I feel that they did a pretty good job at capturing the essence of the characters, and that the change between them from the movie actors really isn't going to be a problem for me.  Next I have to say that I actually rather like the art style.  I know that not everyone is going to like it, but I thought it did a decent job at capturing the style from the movie into 2D, especially when it came to minor characters like the guard pegasi seen in the second and third episodes.  Which given that some of the initial attempts at turning the movie into a 2d art style such as the leaked bedding covers came out as uncanny, I see this as a notable improvement.  Plus I just found it be really cute and that it fit the tone this webseries was going for pretty well. 

Overall I have to say that I liked what I have seen of it so far, and I look forward to seeing what else it has in store.

• Brohoof 1

• The title was changed to G05-TYT:S01:E01 - A Home To Share (MLP: Tell Your Tale)

Quite cute. Even though the humor so far is not great, the paint turning out to be glue got a good chuckle out of me. I also enjoyed the song well enough, even if it is on the simple side. Not a whole lot to say about this one, considering the episode length, but it is perfectly fine for what it is. It even had a moment where Sunny "spoke" to Starshine again, which was nice; I thought they were just never going to bring him up again. Not too bad overall.

2 hours ago, Cirrus. said:

Also, does anyone know if this "shorts" format is what Hasbro is doing for G5, or are they planning to do an actual normal type/length series or something?

The Make Your Mark series will be the standard 22-minute episode show. Tell Your Tale is more or less a hook for younger viewers to ask their parents for Netflix subscriptions so they can watch the full series. Make Your Mark should be coming out in May.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

A cute and sweet start to the series. I wasn't really into the song, but I do think it was pretty funny to see everything steadily spiral out of control while the upbeat tune kept going! Outside of that, I think everything is pretty standard imo. 

Edited by Scila Bell

I really love the resonating G4 feel I'm getting. That first song felt as if Twilight and her friends could sing that. It's pretty amazing how they crammed in a great lesson in for a 5 minute series...welp..let's get this thing going and head on over to the next one! :pinkie:

• Brohoof 1

The premiere isn’t anything to write home about, but it does have its nice moments. Sunny reminded herself what her father would say to her if he was still alive, and they shared a nice selfie once decorations completed.

• Brohoof 1

Loved that reference to her father that Sunny experiences close to the end. That makes me like her even more than I already do. Also, this episode is similar in scope to 'Castle Sweet Castle' in that everyone is trying to make their home resonate with them the most only for it to become a disaster. I'd call that a respectable homage to what came before.

• Brohoof 2

First.... why did I watch this last? :BornAgainBrony:

It was basically a music number. Quite cute, and I did like the design of the house! Not much can be said about this episode, but knowing the other episodes before seeing this made me think how they purposely made this episode simple so that Bronies React will think this series is cute. They usually watch two episodes anyways, so I can say, the first two are kinda "safe" and okay. The song is really stuck in my head too :BornAgainBrony:

Where's the catchy intro song? Pony Life!!!! Maybe it is for the better not to have one :kindness:

Now, what to do to not think about legs when seeing the animation? That's my biggest problem spla_flutterlegs.png

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
17 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Loved that reference to her father that Sunny experiences close to the end. That makes me like her even more than I already do. Also, this episode is similar in scope to 'Castle Sweet Castle' in that everyone is trying to make their home resonate with them the most only for it to become a disaster. I'd call that a respectable homage to what came before.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Pipp putting up all of those self-portraits reminded me of the HUGE painting of the Mane 6 that Rarity wanted to hang.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

It's not bad. I feel like this will grow on me over time, it's also a good way to kill time. The song was pretty catchy and the visual style wasn't as bad as I thought. I was wrong to judge this as much as I did before. 

Tender memories of Argyle aside, I’m really not sure why the five didn’t have more organization in the first place. Sunny obviously had everything planned out, and from what we knew about the characters, only Izzy would have dived into them headlong instead of waiting for explanations.(Hitch especially should know better.) In this light it also feels incomplete to say that the problem was a lack of inspiration from the leader. 

I also wonder that the deal is with that rainbow waterfall (lightfall? light beacon?).

• Brohoof 2

Although I’m not a fan of the character designs, I am a fan of how the personalities and voices made the characters feel close to how they were in the movie. I liked how Izzy’s horn was out of control in the first part, but I would have liked that to be the reason for most of her klutzy behavior rather than her bubbly personality. According to what I saw in the movie, Izzy wasn’t as clumsy as she was excited.

I did really like the nod to Sunny’s dad, that was a really sweet moment. I hope he continues to be mentioned in more episodes. One thing I like about this series so far is that is hasn’t broken canon yet. I also thought seeing Hitch’s animal followers help out in the background was cute, too.

I’ll never forgive Hitch’s fat chin though :nom: He used to look so charming. I’m not a fan of Izzy or Sunny’s new manes, either, they don’t look very natural, especially Izzy’s. At least the animation is decent enough for me to overlook those designs at times.

• Brohoof 2

• The title was changed to S01:E01 - A Home To Share
  • 1 year later...

I like the Brighthouse but it baffles me that this group of friends would get a chance to design their dream home but didn't give them individual bedrooms.

Also, though I hate Family Guy, this episode makes me think of this: