Beginning of the End Poll  

152 users have voted

1. 1. Thoughts?

• “Cozy Glow you silly pony. Be evil!” - Hated it
    • “Who you calling Cheeselegs?” - Not a fan
    • “Hey is that glowing sphere low calorie?” - It was okay
    • “Who the buck is Radiant Hope?” - Enjoyed it
    • Grogar! Ahhhhhh it’s finally Grogar ahhhh! - LOVED IT

One villain down and counting Grogar, 4 to go! Personally I think Chrysalis is going insane! When she returns and if she acts coco-for coca puffs, I'm going to be pleasantly surprised.

I'm not sure what to think of this two-parter, it's all over the place. I'm not sure it if I like it, love it, or am indifferent to it either. It had many moments where it made me chuckle, and I loved how Discord's trolled the mane 6, but with the best interest in his heart. And the speech he gave them is just heart-warming coming from a former villain. And yes, the whole "they normally do nothing" part is priceless. Because it's true.

But as someone already mentioned, the pacing was... off. I expected it to be the case as soon as I saw the number of villains it had, but it was even weirder. I can't explain, it just felt off.

So, I guess the other villains will work from behind in the future episodes? It's an interesting set-up for MLP which usually didn't have villains unless in specific episodes (usually two parters + that Crysallis one).

PS Cozy Glow was just adorable. Not in her usual way, either xD

• Brohoof 6

1 minute ago, Will Guide said:

One villain down and counting Grogar, 4 to go! Personally I think Chrysalis is going insane! When she returns and if she acts coco-for coca puffs, I'm going to be pleasantly surprised.

Knowing Grogar, he isn't playing around. Once King Sombra was gone, he was gone for good, permadeath-style too. And knowing this show, it's not all about sunshine and rainbows anymore.

Just now, Jon the VGNerd said:

Knowing Grogar, he isn't playing around. Once King Sombra was gone, he was gone for good, permadeath-style too. And knowing this show, it's not all about sunshine and rainbows anymore.

Just like FFXIII's Vanille!

• Brohoof 1

Great start for the final season! Sombra was a little op there but It actually showed why they had to stop him from reaching his full form in the s3 premier. So the legion is consist of grogar ,chrysalis , cozy and tirek as expected. 

Some parts felt rushed but considering how many things happened here they balanced it well. Cool comeo of nightmare and daybreaker is cool. Sombra was more goofy and talkative then I expected but I can live with it. Grogar was great but I preferred him to be a little more intimidating. 

The lady writers did a fantastic job again,I hope they wrote more episodes. 

• Brohoof 3

9 minutes ago, Jeric said:

As one negative about some of the writing, pacing was rushed but that is typical in these 2 parters. Also the “happens off screen” bits were a little overdone. I understood why they went that route. Now that I’m thinking about it the Grogar introduction and putting together a team might have been a better placement at the end of Season 8 as a teaser.

Like if the shadow of Grogar appear at the end of S8 as the final shot, it would be an awesome tease to have us waiting for all these months, right?

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

This premise is giving me "Justice League Unlimited" vibes.

I was thinking this, too! :o

Also,

S09:E01+E02 - The Beginning of the End Spoilers

Spoiler

I didn't think Grogar's design looked very intimidating, TBH. I think giving him red eyes would have made him look more menacing. 

• Brohoof 4

I enjoyed it.

It would have been nice to have a slower and more fleshed out pace to it, but I suppose they needed to keep it fitted into two episodes. That's the only criticism I have with it to be honest. I loved everything else. I'll definitely be rewatching it again at some point. Also, I now want a log with a changeling's face drawn on it.

• Brohoof 3

Well, welly well well. This was a premiere alright.

The pacing fluctuated between rushing and too slow-paced. The characterization for the mane 6 is great, all of them. And Celestia/Luna get their moments too and even help (off-screen, but still a real surprise to me). Even if I didn't like the pacing, I'm glad they used this episode to set up the overarching plot for the season. Gives us something to all look forward to!

Also, I need more Tirek and Cozy interaction in my life.

• Brohoof 7

I was hoping that King Sombra would be brought back via his severed horn, or by traveling through timelines but being brought back straight from the grave with dark crystals appearing works too.

This wasn't the Sombra I've come to know though. He alone had the capability to achieve more than any other villain could. The alternate timeline where he takes the Crystal Empire to war with Equestria is proof enough of that. 

His plan was alright, but he became far too full of himself. Sombra has ego for sure, but he's supposed to be ruthless, not careless. Leaving the mane 6 in a prison they could dig out of was just lazy.

No blame towards the voice actor, but his deep booming laugh was taking away, and he was given a pompous personality. They executed that perfectly if that's what they were going for, part of what makes Sombra so intimidating is him being a stallion of few words. He's not supposed to give monologues or directly antagonize anyone, they're not worth his time!

I'm not sure what Grogar's supposed to do now. Sombra is powerful on his own. Chrysalis is weaker than she's ever been, and along with Tirek, have to obtain their power from others. Cozy glow is just along for the ride. Grogar giving some of his power to Tirek wasn't very impressive I think, and he's chosen to summon these characters while Equestria is actually the strongest it's ever been. He should have made his move during Chrysalis's first takeover, get most of the dirty work done by someone else, take them out then step in.

I'm more than happy to see Twilight take on a stronger leadership role, but I still say she's not ready to be leading Equestria, even with her friends.

Overall, this was a good season premiere, and I'm looking forward to what the rest has to hold.

• Brohoof 6

Just now, SharpWit said:

I was hoping that King Sombra would be brought back via his severed horn, or by traveling through timelines but being brought back straight from the grave with dark crystals appearing works too.

This wasn't the Sombra I've come to know though. He alone had the capability to achieve more than any other villain could. The alternate timeline where he takes the Crystal Empire to war with Equestria is proof enough of that. 

His plan was alright, but he became far too full of himself. Sombra has ego for sure, but he's supposed to be ruthless, not careless. Leaving the mane 6 in a prison they could dig out of was just lazy.

No blame towards the voice actor, but his deep booming laugh was taking away, and he was given a pompous personality. They executed that perfectly if that's what they were going for, part of what makes Sombra so intimidating is him being a stallion of few words. He's not supposed to give monologues or directly antagonize anyone, they're not worth his time!

I'm not sure what Grogar's supposed to do now. Sombra is powerful on his own. Chrysalis is weaker than she's ever been, and along with Tirek, have to obtain their power from others. Cozy glow is just along for the ride. Grogar giving some of his power to Tirek wasn't very impressive I think, and he's chosen to summon these characters while Equestria is actually the strongest it's ever been. He should have made his move during Chrysalis's first takeover, get most of the dirty work done by someone else, take them out then step in.

I'm more than happy to see Twilight take on a stronger leadership role, but I still say she's not ready to be leading Equestria, even with her friends.

Overall, this was a good season premiere, and I'm looking forward to what the rest has to hold.

The episodes clearly address that she's not ready (yet), numerous times.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I enjoyed the season premiere and it was great! :love:

Looks like one of our past evil villains is back and Grogar as an ancient villain makes his first appearance for this season premiere. Queen Chrysalis and Tirek is back too, I cannot believe it! :o Equestria is in grave danger from our past evil villains who wants to take over Equestria, it looks like King Sombra is up to it now. He took over the Crystal Empire but then defeated temporarily by the Mane 6 with their Elements of Harmony. Back at the Tree of Harmony, I tell the Mane 6 don't leave your Elements of Harmony at the Tree of Harmony as King Sombra will be back soon and destroy the tree and there will be no way to defend Equestria by that! At the second part of the premiere, King Sombra takes over Equestria and mind controls ponies with a look in their eyes that are green, including Starlight Glimmer, Spike, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders as well! As soon as the Mane 6 is broken free from the Everfree Forest, all of those ponies in Ponyville and Canterlot ignore the Mane 6 whenever they ask and head straight very slowly to Canterlot. Luckily, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna is not under Sombra's spell and hold off the vines. Star Swirl the Bearded makes another appearance in this episode, that's great! His magic is stronger to hold off the vines and cut through the big vines. I knew I expect one of the Pillars' appearance in this one too! :-D When the Mane 6 ponies approaches Canterlot, they're blocked by mind-controlled ponies who tries to enter. It's time for the Mane 6 for action to fight their way into the castle. Luckily, Discord's inside and the Mane 6 know what is going on with their Elements that is gone. It's time to battle against King Sombra to defend Equestria! Without the need of Elements which it was broken before by King Sombra, the Mane 6 ponies do hooves together to represent "Friendship is Magic" and with stronger magic in hand by Princess Twilight, they defeated King Sombra and made him disappear, once and for all! I believe Princess Twilight Sparkle is likely to be part of an Equestrian leadership as Princess Celestia and Luna are leaving their jobs as rulers. I believe she can do that when she is more important for all the ponies like a V.I.P. (Very Important Person, or simply called Very Important Pony in My Little Pony too). At last, King Sombra failed Grogar as he was defeated again that he cannot believe! Therefore, I will say Equestria will be defended at all costs whenever one of our villains will plan the next invasion.

Edited by Allen
  • Brohoof 1

I actually didn't have a problem with the pacing in this episode, they needed to cover A LOT so it felt like the necessary pace that they needed to go at. The most important things in any episode are the character and the story, and I thought the character interaction was pretty damn excellent and the idea of all these foes uniting to take down Twilight is something to truly behold! It's almost been 9 years guys! 9 years!

But anyway, the episode did have some problems admittedly. Those being Twilight's characterization, the laughable defeat of Cadence and Shining, Celestia and Luna's out of nowhere retirement and some pretty horrendous power scaling.

15 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Hide contents

I didn't think Grogar's design looked very intimidating, TBH. I think giving him red eyes would have made him look more menacing. 

Spoiler

I agree they should've gone with something more akin to the original design. image.thumb.png.30fc433f142706aeffddbbe8d4662df8.png

• Brohoof 9

(edited)
13 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

The episodes clearly address that she's not ready (yet), numerous times.

Yes, but I don't think she's ready to the point it's not even worth addressing.

I think they should promote her with additional duties and oversight on national matters, not just hand over the thrown, even if they're going to help prepare her for it.

When it comes down to it, it's a decision I disagree with under pretty much any circumstance, which would be unreasonable of me if not for the fact that so much is being overlooked here. Then again this is a children's show we're talking about here, but then then again maybe this is actually a good thing since Twilight sees the importance of it while the Royal Sisters were simply shrugging it off.

What's the line of succession look like now though? It's not exactly easy to date when you hold such a high position, so I have doubts of Twilight producing an heir but she is full of surprises. Maybe Flurry Heart will take on leading both Equestria and the Crystal Empire :ooh:

Edited by SharpWit

4 minutes ago, RulesofRarity said:

Hide contents

I agree they should've gone with something more akin to the original design. image.thumb.png.30fc433f142706aeffddbbe8d4662df8.png

I must agree with something, Grogar neither looks, nor sounds that big of a deal. However, I think that’s where they are going for with him, making him feel unassuming, but always giving him a hint that he’s far more dangerous (he casually gave bit of his magic to make Tirek be about halfway of his full power after all)

• Brohoof 4

6 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

Yes, but I don't think she's ready to the point it's not even worth addressing.

I think they should promote her with additional duties and oversight on national matters, not just hand over the thrown, even if they're going to help prepare her for it.

When it comes down to it, it's a decision I disagree with.

Except they kind of did, what with making her the Princess of Friendship and watching how he handled it for 5 Seasons.

• Brohoof 1

24 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

Well said Friend its like they took Sombra Out on purpose. His Powers is epic.

Dam they ruined him. I can see cryasliis being this careless, do to her obsession in revenge.  however they way they Done Sombra was a Slop Job. Even he is far more powerful than that bug queen.

This ruined the whole Excitement of hope this will be an epic battle to the end of the series.

Major let down :(

SPOILER ALERT:

So I got to see this amazing MLP opener. I really liked the idea of a villain team up and Grogar looked so cool design wise. It cracked me up to see Crystalis going insane. It was also funny to see all the self aware jokes about Celestia and Luna not doing anything. I’m intrigued to see what happens now that the Tree Of Harmony is believed to be dead. I still think Twilight’s castle which was grown from the tree of harmony and the roots under the school will become the replacement tree of harmony so I don’t think its magic is totally gone. That’s just a fan theory though. I completely related to Twilight’s feelings in this episode. Although I’m not about to become the ruler of anything I have taken on more responsibility and people now look to me as someone who knows how to lead but I still feel like I’m not ready either. I liked that Discord got to be part of the story and the scene with him was incredibly touching especially when Fluttershy thought he died and then he encourages them,Fluttershy’s tears broke my heart for a moment, but I was pissed that Discord was faking because I have been in the position that Fluttershy was in that scene and I would have been fuming mad if my friend faked it. However it does make perfect sense for Discord’s character! I was a little disappointed like Discord that Twilight didn’t take the throne in this episode but I’m glad Celestia and Luna are letting Twilight ease into a more intense role and I hope that they will still assist after Twilight takes full power. My only other issue was that the episode seemed a little too fast paced with a lot of dense info.

• Brohoof 5

6 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

I must agree with something, Grogar neither looks, nor sounds that big of a deal. However, I think that’s where they are going for with him, making him feel unassuming, but always giving him a hint that he’s far more dangerous (he casually gave bit of his magic to make Tirek be about halfway of his full power after all)

Here's hoping they give him a satisfying pay off!

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

Except they kind of did, what with making her the Princess of Friendship and watching how he handled it for 5 Seasons.

Except not much has really been done with her in that role, and she would have made most of the same choices during that time regardless of her position.

Not to mention she's had a mixed reaction from the populous, since she's been seen taken too seriously as a celebrity type and not seriously enough as a leader. There's work to be done for the poor mare.

Luckily she'll still do well in the end because that's what the show demands.

• Brohoof 1

I have a feeling that Grogar will eventually bring Sombra back into the fold after a time out. 

• Brohoof 1