Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MasterCode

(edited)

Although this video is well-made, there is something that needs to be brought up. The commonality I've been reading in comments questioning whether or not this news actually does mean the end for Make Your Mark is that there's no confirmation of it being canceled and that CG shows take time to produce. Those things are true, yet there's more stuff that needs to be pointed out. Shameless self-promotion, I talk about this in my MYM Chapter 4 review too. 

https://www.deviantart.com/cloudmistdragon/art/MLP-G5-Make-Your-Mark-Chapter-4-Review-968464575

To apologize for that shameless plug, I'll start with stuff I didn't talk about in the review. First of all, Hasbro's determination of Tell Your Tale being more profitable was done by a "basket size comparison" of TYT bringing in fourteen more dollars than MYM and a "higher repeat purchase rate" of 22%, something that does not indicate that MYM is failing in comparison to TYT at all. Second, although it's been viewed more than MYM for understandable reasons, MYM's views on Youtube are fine, with an MYM video outdoing a TYT video in viewership on the official MLP channel actually being a common sight.

Moving on to stuff I did bring up in the review, data from the presentation that determined TYT's slightly better profitability was gathered from an analysis in March 2023. This is a time when MYM was in what is currently its longest period without updates yet. However, even if MYM is intended to end this year, that actually would not be unusual for a plot-centric kids CG toy promotion show. MYM was conceived long before the G5 movie's release, a time when Hasbro had no clue how successful the G5 franchise would be and had a reason to not estimate that long of a lifespan for it given G4's downward trend in toy sales.

There is a good chance that this twenty-seven-episode order was intended to tell a story with a definite conclusion, it was the same way with another plot-centric kids CG toy promotion show, Lego Ninjago, which originally had twenty-six episodes meant to tell all of its story. That show was revived rather than renewed after it initially ended because of the Lego Ninjago franchise's outperformance and it didn't get any new content the year following its original finale. Yet it kept going until 2022 and even has a sequel series airing now. If the G5 franchise continues to trend upward in the growth it saw in late 2021 and all of 2022, MYM could see a continuation even if it's planned to end.  

Edited by CloudMistDragon
Elaborated more on determination of TYT's profitability.
  • Brohoof 2

MyM has much less activity. MyM is only available on Netflix. We get 2-3 hours of shows a year. How did TyT get more profit? What a great mystery... 

The biggest mistake for the series was signing an exclusive deal. The G5 would be more sought after if it was available on Youtube channels, on TV and live.

I've stopped watching Netflix myself and I want to stay away. Difficult access to free MyM causes the series to lose potential audience. Whoever wants to watch it without Netflix... will watch it anyway so. 

I hope, however, that plans for MyM will be updated. Personally, I am calm and give 10 bucks that in September / October we will get updates on the next chapters or the decision to pause / or end. If chapters 5 and 6 are in an advanced stage of completion, it's safe to announce them, if work on the next chapters could potentially continue, then there's no need to put pressure on it if we do one chapter, two or four next year. Just make it well.

Single sentences have been extracted from the entire segment. I don't see the fairness in this. For me, the key information is that the whole narrative is about 2023.

Statistics are weird to me too. More than one video from FiM has as many views as all of TyT for 4 months. Many songs have much more. If we go to the official MLP channel check streams, G4 has 200-300 viewers while G5 has around 10. EG also has more viewers....  Bright. Videos from FiM have had a long time to get such views I know. FiM ended 4 years ago... I don't understand the comparison then. Is this a good sign? I mean... a show that hasn't had any updates in 4 years And a show that's still in the works?

These stats are just laying the groundwork for decision making. Too bad they're not real. What kind of fool would believe that TyT is the bigger success of the entire franchise. It totally isn't. And that the value of the basket jumped up numerically ... I think it's not a question of the great success of the new show. Prices from 2022-2023 have gone up terribly, including toys ... I'm not into US topics, but it seems to me that the policy that is increasingly leaning towards social treatment of people (raising the minimum salary, for example) has an impact on the fact that the value of purchases even if it is greater on the bill, it does not have to be proportionally so.

It's like... People make $5 a month and spend $2 on food... let's write a law that they have to earn at least $10... hardly anyone notices that food starts to cost $5... is it really good is to say that "our profits increased by 100%"? I don't see it that way. Stupidities.

Do not get me wrong. I like G5, I wish TyT was longer, but I feel great ideas are lost there. Something that has the potential for 20 minutes closes in 5 minutes. Pity.
I feel the information is trying pretty hard to be manipulative.

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, nataalya said:

These stats are just laying the groundwork for decision making. Too bad they're not real. What kind of fool would believe that TyT is the bigger success of the entire franchise. It totally isn't. And that the value of the basket jumped up numerically ... I think it's not a question of the great success of the new show. Prices from 2022-2023 have gone up terribly, including toys ... I'm not into US topics, but it seems to me that the policy that is increasingly leaning towards social treatment of people (raising the minimum salary, for example) has an impact on the fact that the value of purchases even if it is greater on the bill, it does not have to be proportionally so.

While I do not believe they're lying about the stats, the greater thing of note here is what I've already mentioned, these stats do not indicate a failure on MYM's part at all. A difference of fourteen dollars in "basket size" and apparently 22% more people buying MLP products again because of TYT does not indicate that TYT is immensely more profitable or popular than MYM. MYM had been dormant for a while when that analysis was conducted too. TYT's unprecedented popularity is likely a result of unexpected demand for G5 content, not just because of the aforementioned downward trend of G4, but also because of the worst inflation we've seen in decades, something Hasbro has acknowledged.

The amount of jumps to conclusions over these minor statistics that could easily become outdated I've seen lately is getting ridiculous, I even saw a guy today who used to doubt that MYM would be ending this year abruptly turning around and saying that "all things related to G5 are now going to use TYT's art style". Like, where did this come from? This is demonstrably false. G5 toys are still using 3D promotional art, the mainline G5 comics are still using the art IDW MLP comics have always used, and the upcoming video game is likely going to be in 3D like the other G5 games, A Maretime Bay Adventure and Mane Merge. 

• Brohoof 1