Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can't open my Pony.fm profile

afan

(edited)

Hello and sorry for my English

My Pony.fm profile page (Night Blaze) wont loading (just freezes on white fade effect).
Upload page also have the strange glitches in the head of page, definitely related with personal data that failing to load.

I written in GitHub about this issue a year ago, but no even answer since then. So I try my luck here.

Edited by afan

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Oddly enough, trying to go to your profile directly returns a 404. (HTTP response code which indicates that the requested resource wasn't found).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_404

404 parasprites invaded the town!

We couldn't track down the page you were looking for! Perhaps a parasprite has eaten it, or it may never have existed in the first place. It's also possible that Princess Celestia banished it to the moon for heresy.

In any case, we're sorry this happened. Perhaps you would like to go to our home page?

That seems pretty weird to me, but maybe the data was lost/corrupted or the site's code changed and doesn't work correctly for some things?

Based on Pony.FM's FAQ page, you might try sending an email about this issue directly to mercury@poniverse.net or support@pony.fm if you haven't already done so.

Given the description of Issue #239 (https://github.com/Poniverse/Pony.fm/issues/239), which I see someone (probably you) commented on, I would guess that either there is a more complicated problem or the site back-end may be treating your profile as though it is disabled.

I assume you are still able to login based on your statements?

Edited by StormyVenture
  • Brohoof 1

21 hours ago, StormyVenture said:

Based on Pony.FM's FAQ page, you might try sending an email about this issue directly to mercury@poniverse.net or support@pony.fm if you haven't already done so.

Thank you. Il try it. Hope there'll be an answer.

22 hours ago, StormyVenture said:

Given the description of Issue #239 (https://github.com/Poniverse/Pony.fm/issues/239), which I see someone (probably you) commented on, I would guess that either there is a more complicated problem or the site back-end may be treating your profile as though it is disabled.

Yes, it's me. I also created a ticket there long before it (1.5 years ago) about this issue, but nothing changed. Only silence. 

22 hours ago, StormyVenture said:

I assume you are still able to login based on your statements?

Yes, but completely can't manage anything on my profile. Subsequently, can't upload anything.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
On 2024-03-17 at 3:59 PM, afan said:

Thank you. Il try it. Hope there'll be an answer.

Any luck?

I suspect part of the issue might be with this code (app/Http/Controllers/ArtistController.php) or at least part of problem manifests/is affecting the results at this point. The reason being that if I try to paste the exact profile URL (https://pony.fm/night-blaze)  directly into my web browser, I get sent to a 404 page!

As you should be able to see in this code:

IF the user variable ($user) is valid AND neither of the attributes 'redirect_to'  or 'disabled_at' exist THEN the app should return the results of View:make('artists.profile').

An invalid user and the existence of 'disabled_at' as an attribute should both result in App:abort('404') happening instead.

public function getProfile($slug)
    {
        $user = User::whereSlug($slug)->first();

if ($user) {
            if ($user->redirect_to) {
                $newUser = User::find($user->redirect_to);

if ($newUser) {
                    return Redirect::action('ArtistsController@getProfile', [$newUser->slug]);
                }
            }

if ($user->disabled_at) {
                App::abort('404');
            }

return View::make('artists.profile');
        } else {
            App::abort('404');
        }
    }

https://github.com/Poniverse/Pony.fm/blob/master/app/Http/Controllers/ArtistsController.php

Edited by StormyVenture
  • Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, StormyVenture said:

Any luck?

Nothing. Both mails are silent just as GitHub.  : (

8 minutes ago, StormyVenture said:

I suspect the issue might be with this code or at least the problem manifests at this point.

Thank you. I suggest to tell the same in GitHub issue thread, just in case.

Well that's a bummer. :(

Without having access to any of the actual data for the site it's hard to know whether anything else is up, but it seem likely that your account might be marked as disabled based on how I think the code probably works. It sure is interesting that you can log in, though.

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, StormyVenture said:

but it seem likely that your account might be marked as disabled

It's intereting how it was happened then. I was constantly active as a musician. I saw some errors before it (with upload mostly) but usually they were fixed some time later. But 2 years ago, all of the sudden I got this issue... and this time it wasn't fixed. 

15 minutes ago, StormyVenture said:

It sure is interesting that you can log in, though.

Yeah. May be because it's "ponyverse" login... I don't know.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help.

(edited)
2 hours ago, afan said:

It's intereting how it was happened then. I was constantly active as a musician. I saw some errors before it (with upload mostly) but usually they were fixed some time later. But 2 years ago, all of the sudden I got this issue... and this time it wasn't fixed. 

Yeah. May be because it's "ponyverse" login... I don't know.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help.

Sure, anytime. I just wish I could be more helpful.

Unfortunately a lot of bronies/pony fans seems to have effectively ditched the fandom and anyone who knew them through it, at least as far as casual friends and acquaintances. Mind you that's just my perception and I've never exactly been super social.

I don't know when Pony.fm changed hands (from the original creator/owner or anybody it was handed off to) and became part of Poniverse.

If this problem predates that switchover, then it's probably some weird bug related to changes in the code over time. Otherwise it may have occurred during any technical efforts involved

in the change of ownership and any back-end updates or changes.

Edited by StormyVenture
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I want to add that this problem also happens with the General Mumble profile, so it's not unique to your account. Also, I noticed that this problem occurred after the recent March outage of Poniverse, so maybe corrupted data occurred because of the outage. I don't have much else to say, but I hope the pony.fm developers solve this problem, and your account gets recovered :izzy-shine:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

That problem with my account occured more than a year ago. Anyway,  if the same thing happened with someone else recently - it's a bad sign. So I hope the problem will be solved too.

Edited by afan
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, Zetix63 said:

And in the end what happened?

I tried every contacts including github and mails - everything silent.

2 hours ago, Zetix63 said:

Did you create a new account?

Not yet. It was a Poniverse account and a had a hope to recover it. But now I think about creating a new one.

Edited by afan
  • Brohoof 1

That is unfortunate, I'm sorry about that. I actively use pony.fm, I have many saved playlists, and I would not like anything like that to happen to me.

Well, let's hope that in the future the administrators of pony.fm will be active again, because now it seems that they only maintain that the servers do not go down.

Best of luck in recovering your account! :muffins:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
On 2024-04-09 at 1:57 PM, afan said:

I tried every contacts including github and mails - everything silent.

Not yet. It was a Poniverse account and a had a hope to recover it. But now I think about creating a new one.

@afan

Any updates?

Just checked for kicks and it seems to work for me, right now. The forum complained that link embedding isn't working with respect to pony.fm, but I don't know what that's about.

https://pony.fm/night-blaze

Edited by StormyVenture
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

2 hours ago, StormyVenture said:

Any updates?

Whoa... Its seems working. It's really working!!! Finally! Whoever fixed this - thank you! ^_^

Edited by afan
  • Excited 1

Hey everypony,

I'm a Poniverse dev and I figured I should give some sort of update here now that I had the opportunity to investigate the issue. I'll do so as well on the corresponding GitHub issue.

First and foremost, thank you to everyone for reporting the issue and for your brief investigative work. Pony.fm is open-source software after all, so everyone's contributions are welcome and appreciated!

On the backend, there appeared to be some data issue that was leading to missed queries. I still don't know the extent of the issue, but the mitigation is pretty simple.

3 hours ago, afan said:

Whoa... Its seems working. It's really working!!! Finally! Whoever fixed this - thank you! ^_^

Night Blaze, your report helped me investigate your profile's issue and it was the first one I was able to unblock. I'm glad you noticed. That's an excellent track! :mlp_pinkie:

We appreciate your patience with us as we work to unblock as much as possible.

~Comp

• Brohoof 4
  • Excited 1

@Comp

Just my two cents here, but as should soon be evident (if it isn't already) it took almost a year for @afan to even hear anything back on this particular issue! That's a pretty terrible turnaround time just to find out if anyone even got the message, let alone where things stand. It really shouldn't have been necessary for him to use every option listed on Pony.fm's FAQ page, especially when it apparently went completely unnoticed (from his perspective at least).

The fact of the matter is that it's really quite difficult to figure out who to contact or what the best place/way is to communicate that there is a problem. While the admin may well conceive of the "Poniverse" as being a unified set of websites (and a community), from my perspective (and maybe that of other users) it's not much more than a unified login system.

There are a bunch of different places on MLP Forums alone that one might try, but there's not much obvious reason to go there if the issue is with anything other than the forums. And there's very little in the way of contact information on the very plain Poniverse account site.

E.g.

https://mlpforums.com/forum/377-support/
https://mlpforums.com/support/
https://mlpforums.com/contact/ (Contact Us link in TINY BLACK TEXT at the VERY BOTTOM of the webpage.)

P.S.

First and foremost, thank you to everyone for reporting the issue and for your brief investigative work. Pony.fm is open-source software after all, so everyone's contributions are welcome and appreciated!

I would like to point out that while using/being open source software is great, with something like a website it can be challenge to help or contribute from the outside. You pretty much have to run your own instance of it (database server, web servers. etc.) plus a local dev environment just to be able to contribute anything beyond feedback.

Edited by StormyVenture

21 hours ago, Comp said:

Night Blaze, your report helped me investigate your profile's issue and it was the first one I was able to unblock. I'm glad you noticed. That's an excellent track! :mlp_pinkie:

Thank you! I'm glad the issue is finally solved (will have to catch up a bit, but for me it's not a problem).

Best wishes!