Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Question of the day: Would you go to space?

DiscordPerson

(edited)

Okay, imagine that NASA is sending a bunch of random people to space and you get chosen. Would you go or would you stay? I personally wouldn't just because there are sooooooooooooooo many dangers that could be avoided by staying on Earth.:fluttershy:

Edited by Sophie
We all love space, but too much space should be avoided on a post
  • Brohoof 1

This is a tough one for me. Space is one of the most fascinating things ever, its vastness and sheer scope makes us non-existent in comparison. I would absolutely love to see parts of its glory for myself. Only issue is, I'm scared of a lot of things and have crippling anxiety, something that I bet would be triggered by being entirely off the planet. XP Maybe if I was put into a sleeping pod or something until we got off world, then afterwards my mind can become lost in the beauty of deep space, if we can get that far. :3

• Brohoof 2

You both make good points but I wouldn't go just because there are about an infinite number of ways that things could go wrong. From Daleks to asteroids there are just too many possibilities. :sunny:

• Hugs 1

I would go in a heartbeat. Modern manned rockets have pretty good safety records, it’s (thankfully) not like the Space Shuttle days anymore. Being able to see the Earth from space would be amazing. Experience weightlessness, see all the stars in the background of space without any light pollution or atmospheric interference. So many things about space and space travel are just so cool. Even if it wasn’t 100% safe I’d do it. I really think it would be worth the risk.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go. I've always wanted to experience zero gravity. 

It's always been my belief that you should use life to collect great experiences, how could I turn that one down?

• Brohoof 1

Nope, never ever.

The distance we can travel today in space, is like vading a short distance into sea and then looking back to land. That is way to short for me, and the risks involved just to big. I can see pictures of earth from space. That's enough for me.

Just ask Luna if she enjoyed her journey to the moon *giggle*

4 minutes ago, Princess Celestia said:

Nope, never ever.

The distance we can travel today in spce, is like vading a short distance into sea and then looking back to land. That is way to short for me, and the risks involved just to big. I can see pictures of earth from space. That's enough for me.

Just ask Luna if she enjoyed her journey to the moon *giggle*

@Princess Luna well did you?

Maybe i'll would go to space, but main reason for me is purpose of this travel. Maybe it's colonize Moon or maybe Mars, or even different galaxy. But if solo purpose of travel is simple entertainment then no.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to go to space, see what it's like up there being zero gravity, and on the space station doing whatever, the view of Earth in space would be pretty spectacular. Just no explosions on launch for the love of god!

Space is neat and I'd love to see it/experience it... At the same time, I'm scared even getting on an airplane. Lol. The risks with space travel are astronomically (pun not intended xD) higher, and I think it'd be a straight-up bizarre experience to be separated from the earth for so long. I watch some Sci-Fi shows and while they're not realistic at all, one thing that is realistic about them is long amounts of time in space where you don't have day and night, seasons, etc. Like they'll mention it's November, but... it's no different at all, just another arbitrary month, whereas on Earth you have the changes of the seasons, which have always been an important experience for me.

In short: Nah, probably not.

I wouldn't want to go on an Interstellar level journey, but I would totally go up to the ISS station for a day or two! Seeing the Earth from up there would be a fascinating, eye-opening experience! :pinkie:

Experiencing zero gravity or zero gs would be fun, but staying in that environment for any length of time is terrible for our bodies. What they don't show on camera is some astronauts can't even walk for a few months when returning. It also can rapidly increase certain immunity problems like cancer. 

I would rather stay on earth. Lots of cool things in space but lots of cool things on earth too. If I really wanted to avoid humanity, I'd just go to Alaska or somewhere around or above there.

Of course I’d go! Space travel is the ultimate opportunity. I love terrestrial travel as it is, but going beyond into the great unknown of space is not to be missed. There’s no end to it and thus no end to the possibilities. If there is any spirit of adventure or discovery left in existence, it can best be satisfied in space. It doesn’t matter the danger because no great undertaking can ever be taken without it, and there is no greater undertaking that mortal man can take. Count me in!

• Hugs 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been a sci fi person, so ... going into space myself would be great. Of course it is dangerous, and of course not everthing is nice there .. but sure I would be interested