Wild Manes - Tell Your Tale Inspired Cartoon

Iforgotmybrain

So, theres a new horse cartoon on the block you might’ve heard of. It’s called Wild Manes. Wild Manes is a 5 minute long cartoon featuring horses that currently has one episode released on YouTube. It seems to be heavily influenced by My Little Pony’s own Tell Your Tale as it has the same runtime, a similar art style, and a somewhat similar “Mane” cast. New episodes look to be releasing weekly, with the next episode set to go live on the 19th of July. Here’s a link to the first episode of Wild Manes, which released on the 12th of July:

Spoiler

I watched the first episode and… it’s okay. Hard to judge a show on a single 5 minute episode but yeah, it was alright. Kinda like TYT but with less personality and somehow an even more basic plot. Like I’m already having a hard time remembering who’s who and the characters’ names, that never happened with G5 I can tell you that lol.

If you’ve watched the first episode or are seeing this thread after other episodes have released, what did you think of it? Do you think having some competition in the 5 minute long horse cartoon scene might inspire Hasbro to kick things up a notch with TYT, like releasing the episodes weekly again? Wanna discuss anything else Wild Manes related? I guess put it here? Thanks?

• Brohoof 5
  • Shocked 1

I do agree with the general consensus that this first episode of it was mid. It makes me feel like I'm watching a less entertaining version of Tell Your Tale, but it's totally fine for its target demographic. What's really had me puzzled is the brony fandom's reaction to this. Although I like how our fandom knows how to take MLP being "copied" like a champ...what I don't like is how our fandom seems to have the reverse problem of embracing MLP being "copied" too much. :pip-err:

For real...I have no clue why this show is being hyped the way it is in the MLP fandom. Filly Funtasia and Unicorn Academy, two other MLP "clones", were not hyped like this at all. I mean, Equestria Daily, an MLP site, making an episode discussion for a show from an MLP competitor...like, really? It's not a spiritual successor to MLP...it's not made by people who worked on MLP...it's not made by the same company that made MLP...so why are we treating it like it's MLP? :zipp-wut:  

• Brohoof 2

Holy Celestia, What The Fu:lostit:I mean, well, if it's inspired by a show I don't like, then I couldn't expect less from it, watched this episode and I just found it even more joyless and lackluster than Tell your Tale, so definitely avoiding the next episodes of this...thing :catface:☆, as well, both shows just aren't for me. It's also bizarre to see this just dropping out of nowhere just a few days after I went full bye bye on TyT :mlp_confused:

• Brohoof 2

On 2024-07-13 at 1:41 AM, Misty Shadow said:

Although I like how our fandom knows how to take MLP being "copied" like a champ...what I don't like is how our fandom seems to have the reverse problem of embracing MLP being "copied" too much. :pip-err:

I can't speak for the fandom, cause honestly I've never really been concerned with girl shows in general, even if average and such.  I don't know, it's like how people will hold the original 1980s Transformers in high regard more than the MLP cartoon of the time.

Except said Transformers series while fun, definitely not good even factoring in the decade.  For good 80s fare you have The Raccoons, Gummi Bears, DuckTales, Beginning of Garfield & Friends, The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin and the syndicated portion of The Real Ghostbusters.

I don't know. If low quality boy fare is worthy of praise, then it just seems wrong for any similar girls fare to be judged more strictly.😅

But looking forward to this.

Edited by Antiyonder
  • Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

I just watched it and enjoyed it. However, it's hard to say anything about this show after seeing only a 5 min episode. 

What I don't really like are the phones and live streams. Maybe it's just me but I think that these things do not go well with the horse/pony world.

Same with G5... not a big fan of Pip using her phone et cetera.

... or I am just grumpy *shrug*

• Brohoof 2

14 minutes ago, Finding_Marty said:

I just watched it and enjoyed it. However, it's hard to say anything about this show after seeing only a 5 min episode. 

What I don't really like are the phones and live streams. Maybe it's just me but I think that these things do not go well with the horse/pony world.

Same with G5... not a big fan of Pip using her phone et cetera.

... or I am just grumpy *shrug*

Maybe it's because you're very used to how it used to be in the past generations, there weren't phones or live streams at all, their approach was more based on the 20th Century (with G1 going even further back), G5 just tries to be in line with the current generation we're all living, it's part of its concepts from the beginning (which already kinda started back with Equestria Girls and Pony Life).

I'm personally not a fan of it too, but as long as it doesn't get in the way of the story, I don't mind it :-P

• Brohoof 2

19 minutes ago, Rafa Stary said:

Maybe it's because you're very used to how it used to be in the past generations, there weren't phones or live streams at all, their approach was more based on the 20th Century (with G1 going even further back), G5 just tries to be in line with the current generation we're all living, it's part of its concepts from the beginning (which already kinda started back with Equestria Girls and Pony Life).

I'm personally not a fan of it too, but as long as it doesn't get in the way of the story, I don't mind it :-P

Yes, I needed to be told this.  It's true! I am old :s

And you're right. It's not like the whole plot focuses on the phones, the Internet or such. It's fine :)

I just always hoped for some more pony-adapted items and not just human-like world. But it's kid's show. The producers know better what they should do to attract their audience.

• Brohoof 1
  • Thanks 1