Artists incorrectly attributed to music they never made?

A mysterious air dancer

I was just told by someone that this song called "Remember Me" by Sunchase for some reason was incorrectly associated with Pendulum when it had nothing to do with them.

Apparently, a long time ago a lot of people were sharing rips of this song but they kept saying Pendulum remixed it, despite the "remix" actually being literally the same as the original mix by Sunchase. People STILL think Pendulum remixed this song when it actually has nothing to do with them AND that they're actually listening to the original mix but don't know it, so I'll link only the original here:

Spoiler

Any songs and artists you know of that are victim of this?

• Brohoof 1

It's not quite the same as what happened with that Sunchase song, but I've seen Spotify mix up artists who share the same name.

For example, a new single by Oasis that popped up a couple weeks ago around the time the band announced its reunion. Except the single was by a completely different artist. It seems Spotify fixed the problem soon after.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Prospekt said:

It's not quite the same as what happened with that Sunchase song, but I've seen Spotify mix up artists who share the same name.

For example, a new single by Oasis that popped up a couple weeks ago around the time the band announced its reunion. Except the single was by a completely different artist. It seems Spotify fixed the problem soon after.

I say this counts, and it seems to happen more often than not with smaller names.

The biggest one of the small guys that I can cite right now is through YT Music, where an OG DnB artist named Seba had one of those auto generated "Topic" channels for his music uploads taken over by a mumble rapper who's also named Seba.

I wonder if he was on Distrokid or CD Baby or whatever, somehow tricked those distributors that this "Seba - Topic" channel was his (probably wanted to seem popular since it had ~4K subscribers at the time), and shoved his stuff next to the DnB Seba. Then he changed the artist picture to himself instead of the auto generated one from the most recent album.

He didn't even change the bio which was funny. It was basically full of mumble rap, yet the description was talking about the DnB Seba's career.

I just checked since it's been a while, and DnB Seba moved all his stuff to a new "Topic" channel and now has just under 4K subs, while the other guy is stuck at just over 4K (barely any growth). The DnB bio was removed from the other guy to the new one now.

It took a bit of scrolling to even find the mumble rapper, he's gotten buried super deep in the search, while (at least for me) the DnB Seba is right at the top of the search.

That reminds me that there's another incident recently, also with DnB, where some guy was taking the most popular, old 90's DnB songs from multiple labels of the day and maliciously copyrighting and taking down all of their work wherever it existed. Basically, he was stealing a lot of songs from the 90s and claiming that they were his remixes of various soundtracks from Sonic games.

It wasn't even the highest fidelity that he was claiming was his. They were so crusty that I'm baffled he didn't even take the time to look for the actual digital downloads for the songs. Most of these were either uploaded to digital services by the labels before they went quiet, or were remastered directly by the artists (there were at least 2 that were literally remastered as recently as a few years ago!).

Turns out it went beyond DnB. He stole from everyone, 2000s alt rock bands to older trip hop acts, just as an attempt to rebrand it all as his own remixes of Sonic soundtracks and other "personal" works. It's insane how far it went!

A lot of people reached out to these old guys who own the actual rights to those works and it seems like it's starting to flip back around on this dude's face. He first took down Intense - West Side Blues (yes, the very same Intense that made the meme song for the "breakdancing Sims cat", titled Only You) then began threatening to take down The Chameleon - Links, something about "I own the copyright and I'll sue all of you for slander" but it's back up now:

Spoiler

It was uploaded/digitized the same time as "Close Your Eyes and Listen" originally, got taken down, but the original guys got it back up.

image.thumb.png.1f978d634eff8bbf2e296cd023e99dd9.png

unfortunately, West Side Blues was never properly digitized, and the most popular uploads of it on YT are now gone. Thankfully he didn't hit all of the uploads as there are still some up, but still he made a huge attempt to try and hide what he was doing and scare people away.

other related stuff:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.804792141c63a1c5f7f02c97e6c6bca3.png

image.thumb.png.1802c60b30a21002af194bdfd6b18d3b.png
context: LTJ Bukem is the head honcho of GLR/Good Looking; them, Creative Source label, Moving Shadow label, and Renegade label are pretty much what inspired all of those DnB/Jungle soundtracks for multiple N64 and PS1/2 games of the day.

image.thumb.png.6c8a17e09b559dce744eaba789c374a1.png
bro tried stealing something that was just uploaded officially a few years ago, but also had terrible quality? LOL

image.thumb.png.7366c53149b4ec02e13c828e75137569.png

"Wave" is another one that was actually remastered by the artist (Makoto, who is another very active and popular DnB artist. Actually, the most popular DnB artist of all of who he stole from):
image.png.d7856ce58dd2a46cdb09de10eda792d3.png

• Brohoof 1

Hmm...

Off the top of my head, I remember when The Living Tombstone's  >>>REMIX<<<  of "Discord" got so popular that people started bullying Eurobeat Brony, the actual >>ORIGINAL<< artist who made it, for taking credit. It got so bad, he had to tag the song as "The Original!" in the title. Doesn't help that TLT's remix was getting heavily requested at events and such. :please: (It's good, but the original beats it by a mile.)

As a Sonic the Hedgehog fan, I've groaned anytime someone mistakenly tagged Crush 40 as the band behind all the vocal songs, which just is not true. Crush 40 only has one singer, and there have been PLENTY of other musicians donating their talents to the blue blur. But for a long while, anytime you heard rock music with vocals, there was also someone saying "It's Crush 40!!". :yeahno:

Last of all, while I can't remember the exact song, there was a song by the band SR-71, and people on the internet were constantly crediting the wrong artists for it. All this was obviously before YouTube had a system where music companies could upload their music for legal copyright reasons, and I think the biggest reason for the confusion was because SR-71 were (and still are) a relatively unknown band in the eyes of the mainstream. They were a gimmicky rock band that existed for a short time, and never got the same recognition as their mainstream predecessors.

• Brohoof 3