Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Touhou Thread

Mint Petal

(edited)

No Touhou thread? This is my chance!

Yep, one of (if not the) the most prolific doujin games made now has its own thread at the MLPForums! Discuss anything Touhou, including favorite game(s), favorite character(s), and even inside jokes like watermelon Suika and overeating Yuyuko.

First question to start off the topic: What's your favorite Touhou game? Mine is a tie for either Imperishable Night or Ten Desires. I don't know why, but they both just stand out to me in their own way.

Edited by Mint Petal

I've only played three Touhou games so I have little knowledge on them. The ones I've played are:

Gundemonium Recollection

Hitogata Happa

GundeadliGne

From the Gundemonium Collection on PS3. Great games though HH is balls hard.

I've played Perfect Cherry Blossom and a few others. The music is always the standout for me in these games.

Oh, definitely. The music is where ZUN shines when it comes to Touhou. Possibly some of the best video game music I've heard in years!

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Just curious if anyone is a Touhou fan. I love the game's style, art, and music. =3

Touhou is a game series made by one Japanese person who goes by ZUN. The game is basically galaga on steroids, and BOY IS IT HARD. It's a top down shooter that has spawned a big fan base. It's a bit like vocaloid in a way, a bunch of people like it.

Still don't know what the Touhou project is? Google it, and watch this:

Edit: Ooooh, topic merge.

Edited by VioletLinked
  • Brohoof 1

Can't say I have played any of the games, sadly, so I can't really call myself a Touhou fan. But I really like the characters and I like to watch movies with them (such as MMD).

And Bad Apple is the win.

(edited)

I found a torrent of an english version of Embodiment of the Scarlet devil.

Hard as heck, but SO MUCH FUN.

I NEED TO DOWNLOAD MOAR

Edited by Ninjaneer

Count me in! Love Touhou, and played just about every one of the games, including the old ones on the PC-98. My favorite one has to be Imperishable Night.

...or Ten Desires...

...or Fairy Wars.

I can't choose! :(

Posted Image

Bad Apple? How trite, t'is almost as overplayed as the entirety of the IOSYS discography. Tsk.

I've got a drawer full of Touhou merchandise from my fanboy days. All of the Windows games up to 12.3, several doujin games, several doujin albums, a few random items and trinkets, and similar stuff. I'll admit to being a scrub where the shooters are involved, but consider myself somewhat decent at the fighters, which is where I think the real fun is to be had. ;)

As a side note, I went ahead and merged two Touhou threads.

• Brohoof 3

I've only played three Touhou games so I have little knowledge on them. The ones I've played are:

Gundemonium Recollection

Hitogata Happa

GundeadliGne

From the Gundemonium Collection on PS3. Great games though HH is balls hard.

trololololol? none of those are Touhou games.

on topic, I am really really bad at all Touhou games, but I like the music and art. Crow's Claw, aw yeah.

trololololol? none of those are Touhou games.

on topic, I am really really bad at all Touhou games, but I like the music and art. Crow's Claw, aw yeah.

I would highly appreciate not being called a troll because I don't know something. If they aren't Touhou then I don't know what Touhou actually is because I always thought they were bullet hells that used anime-style characters, usually women, as playable characters and/or enemies.

I would highly appreciate not being called a troll because I don't know something. If they aren't Touhou then I don't know what Touhou actually is because I always thought they were bullet hells that used anime-style characters, usually women, as playable characters and/or enemies.

thus the question mark. seems someone is a biiiiiit sensitive. ;) Touhou is a series of bullet hell shooters. but not all bullet hell shooters are Touhou.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touhou_Project

lol Forgive me then, I see people misuse the term "troll" a lot so when you said "trolololol" it sounded like you were serious.

I know not all bullet hells were Touhou I just thought the anime-style combined with being a bullet hell is what made it Touhou. Looking it up I suppose Touhou is an actual series but there are many fanworks too, would Gundemonium count as a fanwork?

Really I don't know.

(edited)

My favorite of the series was the one that introduced me to Touhou which was Perfect Cherry Blossom. At first the overwhelming number of bullets threw me off, I wasn't used to bullet-hells and that was my baptism by fire. Eventually after learning where the hit-box was it got a lot more fun.

I however do enjoy the fighting type Touhou games especially Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. Marisa was always my go-to gal, imo she had a nice balance of close and long-range attacks. The use of her ultimate attack as a finisher was quite enjoyable, I'm not quite sure it was her ultimate though. It was that one ability that kind of resembled a diagonal rainbow kamehameha that took up most of the screen.

Edited by Sand Piper

Marisa was always my go-to gal, imo she had a nice balance of close and long-range attacks.

Marisa is fun, but my trinity of terror was always Youmu, Patchouli, and Yuyuko. Too much good stuff between the three of 'em.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Okay, I'm giving in, I'm gonna play this.

...I have to set my computer to Japanese then restart my computer? Screw that.

Wait, how do I even download it?

Edited by Konata-Chan

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I'm playing "Touhouvania" right now and I'm really enjoying it, especially the music. I can't find any download links to the other games in the series, though. Does anyone have working links of any of the games from 6 and onwards, bullet-hell or otherwise?

Update: Beat "Touhouvania". Really great game, though the level layouts were a bit repetitive. But the addition of new enemy types ever level kept it feeling fresh, and I always looked forward to the next interesting boss fight.

Speaking of, DAMN! That final fight was dramatic as hell, and equally as hard. Luckily you have 20 lives at the start of each continue, and you start right at the phase of the boss battle that you died at.

Update 2: Downloaded, patched, and installed english language for Touhouvania 2. I haven't even entered the first level yet, and already this game is lookin' fiiiiine.

UPDATE AGAIN: Played and beat Touhouvania 2 twice; once on easy mode, once on normal. As much as I liked the original, the sequel absolutely puts it to shame. This is possibly one of my all-time favorite games, now. Fantastic music, great graphics, amazing control and gameplay... the only negative is the nonsensical plot. Installing the English language patch was not worth it.

Edited by Legendary Emerald

(edited)

Okay, I'm giving in, I'm gonna play this.

...I have to set my computer to Japanese then restart my computer? Screw that.

Wait, how do I even download it?

You don't need to go that far for touhou, since there are translation patches.

I could get my folders of touhou 6, 7 and 8 up for now, if someone is interested. Got 9+ on my other hard drive which is "currently unavailable".

Edited by Marelin
  • Brohoof 1

You don't need to go that far for touhou, since there are translation patches.

I could get my folders of touhou 6, 7 and 8 up for now, if someone is interested. Got 9+ on my other hard drive which is "currently unavailable".

I'd very much appreciate it. I've ran myself ragged looking for download links that haven't gone down, and found absolutely nothing.