Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Higgs Boson found.

I_wesley125

The search does not like to work for me. If someone already made this thread, sorry.

Today, scientists at CERN have claimed to have found the Higgs Boson.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/07/120703-higgs-boson-god-particle-cern-science/

This could be significant for science, but it probably won't affect anyone other than converting a few more people away from religion.

What are you thoughts on this?

• Brohoof 3

FANTASTIC! I love the fact that it's found. And I can't wait to learn what it is in depth!

I'm happy that they've nailed something to the wall at least. I would be happy if it was or wasn't found. But now that we know something is there, I've finally got my answer! :D

I have no idea what this means or could mean, but it sounds like it can be a monumental finding and development

Higgs Boson is an extremely small particle that gives every other particle it's mass. This is crucial on finding out how the Big Bang happened.

But anyway, I am very excited about this discovery and I'm looking forward to hear more from the scientists!

• Brohoof 1

I know this is important and is very exciting for lots of people. I myself don't really care though.

Go doodle underneath an apple tree or something, I'm sure you will have a change of heart.
  • Brohoof 1

OK. Someone please explain this to me like I'm 3. I saw this on Reddit earlier and looked at a post under the "Explain like I'm 5" Subreddit, basically explaining like I'm five what a Higgs-Boson Particle is and how it impacts us. I need someone to explain like I was fresh out the womb or something. Please? :P

Should I even ask how you think this discovery will "convert" people away from religion?

I missed the memo saying people can only believe in God or particles.

Other than the laughable comments tacked on to the OT post, this is great! Love to see history in the making.

• Brohoof 1

Now hold on a minute! The Higgs has NOT been confirmed yet.

The OP's link leads to an article with the title "Higgs Boson Found?".

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/04/us-science-higgs-idUSBRE86008K20120704

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2012/07/20127472355220626.html

These sources confirm that a particle has been found, but no one knows if it is the Higgs.

Should I even ask how you think this discovery will "convert" people away from religion?

I missed the memo saying people can only believe in God or particles.

Other than the laughable comments tacked on to the OT post, this is great! Love to see history in the making.

That was kind of a joke.

This reminds me of the Omega Molecule from Star Trek. A string of these could power an entire civilization for a lifetime.

Posted Image

Inb4 some alien race comes down to our planet and demands us for it.

I kind of doubt it. Remember the particle that supposedly could travel faster than the speed of light? Proved false. They might have found another particle similar to the Higgs Boson or found the Higgs Boson but maybe they can't isolate it to study it further? Call me a pessimist.

This reminds me of the Omega Molecule from Star Trek. A string of these could power an entire civilization for a lifetime.

Inb4 some alien race comes down to our planet and demands us for it.

But the Higgs Boson is a sub-sub-atomic particle that acts as the force carrier for gravity - not a huge, unstable molecule whose degradation releases unfathomably huge amounts of energy. They're about as similar as weapons grade plutonium and delicious medium cheddar cheese.

• Brohoof 1