Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Higgs Boson found.

I_wesley125

Thought that said Bison. I was like, "OOH I WUBS BISON WHAT IS A HIGGS BISON"

*leaves disappointed*

OK. Someone please explain this to me like I'm 3. I saw this on Reddit earlier and looked at a post under the "Explain like I'm 5" Subreddit, basically explaining like I'm five what a Higgs-Boson Particle is and how it impacts us. I need someone to explain like I was fresh out the womb or something. Please? :P

Higgs Bosons are what give everything mass and it's really complicated.

(edited)

As it stands now it seems the only certainty (within scientifically acceptable standards) is that we have a new elementary particle... That's it, the only certainty that every scientist (involved) seems to agree with

Edit: And being a Boson yes

It's just one thing, but it's quite a big thing :o This hasn't happened in like 20 years!

The amount of questions it brings... well, the first is "What Do we have?!" They don't know if it's the actual Higgs Boson they were looking for in the first place. They expect it to be given the available statistics on it. But they can't be certain at this point.

For all they know it could be a totally different particle it seems. Heh, it could even be a Higgs Boson but not THE Higgs Boson they were looking for... :huh:

Should be interesting to see how many questions this all will bring with it.

Edited by AIMonkey

They don't know if it's the actual Higgs Boson they were looking for in the first place. They expect it to be given the available statistics on it. But they can't be certain at this point.

Well, it was a boson with a mass of 125.3±0.6 GeV/c^2, so it was probably the Higgs Boson (certainty of 5σ [99.9999%]).

Well, it was a boson with a mass of 125.3±0.6 GeV/c^2, so it was probably the Higgs Boson (certainty of 5σ [99.9999%]).

Yes sorry Indeed they also know it's a Boson. Made a small edit to my post

But for it to be the Higgs Boson they were looking for they will need more information besides the mass. Seems the first or primary thing they are looking at is the spin of the particle. Which is expected to be 0. And it seems that even if it's 0 it might still be a different Higgs Boson than the one they were looking for... :huh: Make me wonder how much further this will go lol

"The CERN teams did not outright say that they have discovered the Higgs boson itself, which has been the focus of a 40-plus year pursuit.

The Higgs boson, which was first proposed in the 1960s by the English physicist Peter Higgs, is believed to give all matter in the universe size and shape.

" Quoted from *http://news.yahoo.com/god-particle-discovered-european-researchers-claim-discovery-higgs-101720774--abc-news-tech.html*

So, it's not yet sure that it's found...

But really, that would help in proving the Big Bang as stated earlier... XD

(edited)

I have no idea what this means or could mean, but it sounds like it can be a monumental finding and development

Hmm. I may be wrong, but I think mass is essentially something like waves in a sea made of Higgs Bosons. Higgs carry mass, are responsible for gravity and a lot of things.

Discovering it's real and you're not crazy and not just math is the first step to learning to control it. I want to see anti-gravity before I die, baby! :P

So I take it the Standard Model is now complete?

My Little Particle,

My Little Particle...

My Little Particle

I used to wonder what matter could be

Until you all shared it's physics with me

Big kinetics!

Tons of work!

A beautiful bond faithful and strong!

Sharing electrons!

It's an easy feat!

And the Higgs make it all complete!

[What I wrote should be read at a slower tempo than the music...]