Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Haruhi Suzumiya

Sepia-chan

I watched 5 episodes in one sitting, and I can officially say it's one of my favorite animes.

It's about a teenager named Kyon who meets a girl at his school named Haruhi, the title character. For the first few episodes, it's just slice of life hijinks with the SOS Brigade, the club Haruhi made, then part 4 of the first episode arch comes along.

Then shit gets real.

If you're planning on watching this anime, I'd recommend looking at a chronological episode list, since they were aired out of chronological order.

All the episodes can be streamed on CrunchyRoll for free.

So, what is you guy's opinions on this show?

(edited)

Just wait until you get into the surprise twist.

DO not look at this picture unless you have seen the series completely.

Posted Image

Edited by Crona The Critic

(edited)

I'll have to check the show out, is crunchyroll any good I've heard of it but never tried it out . I'm trying to get back into anime again (haven't watched it since college 5+ years ago) so that I can get lost in new worlds that are better than this one. (on a seperate note does anyone know of a good site for reading manga online?)

Edited by Abaddon

I'll have to check the show out, is crunchyroll any good I've heard of it but never tried it out . I'm trying to get back into anime again (haven't watched it since college 5+ years ago) so that I can get lost in new worlds that are better than this one. (on a seperate note does anyone know of a good site for reading manga online?)

Crunchy Roll is very good for anime watching.

You're tempting me, Crona.

I watched 5 episodes in one sitting, and I can officially say it's one of my favorite animes.

It's about a teenager named Kyon who meets a girl at his school named Haruhi, the title character. For the first few episodes, it's just slice of life hijinks with the SOS Brigade, the club Haruhi made, then part 4 of the first episode arch comes along.

Then shit gets real.

If you're planning on watching this anime, I'd recommend looking at a chronological episode list, since they were aired out of chronological order.

All the episodes can be streamed on CrunchyRoll for free.

So, what is you guy's opinions on this show?

Technically, they weren't aired out of chronological order. When they decided to make a second season, they went back and made more episodes to fit into the first season structure too. I never heard of an animation studio doing that before! This is related. It's one of my very favorite AMVs! Some would tell you it's also my theme song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYqJSBQKkIw

I got the manga, but I also watched all the eps available I think it was last summer or the one before that.

The novel is also genius.

Just watched the final episode of the Melancholy episode arch. Honestly, they could've left the series at that and it would still be my favorite anime.

Once I got into the Endless Eight, that's were things start to get interesting to say the least. It's just that you really need to be dedicated to get through that point in the series. The pay-off, however? so totally worth it.

On another forum I am a member of, one of the admins is batshit crazy about this show. Every day I come on that forum, I see at least one Haruhi related picture or quote. I haven't watched it but I'll take that admin's word that this is a good anime.

Once I got into the Endless Eight, that's were things start to get interesting to say the least. It's just that you really need to be dedicated to get through that point in the series. The pay-off, however? so totally worth it.

I'll be honest, at the third episode I started skipping scenes, so I ran each one (excluding the final) for only about 3 minutes total each.

Personally, I'm a Kyonist, but Haruhi is awesome -- if a bit psychotic.

Kyonists theorize that it's actually Kyon who is the one with godlike powers, but he expresses them through Haruhi. There are actually several hints in both the novels and the anime that support this notion, though nothing conclusive -- as one would expect from this excellent series.

I've only seen the first season so far. I love it. I've heard of those eight episodes in the second season though and Imma watch it eventually. When I watch anime I usually watch in places like animefreak or watchcartoonsonline and such though.

(edited)

For anyone that hasn't seen the series and is at least remotely interested in it, I highly recommend checking it out. It remains one of my favorites, to the tune of having spent over $200 on getting the special edition releases of each DVD as it came out.

You don't even want to know how many Haruhi & cast figures we have between my wife and I. For example, we've got a full set of the figmas that I'll arrange as dioramas going across the fireplace mantle - the current lineup features such highlights as elk-headed Kyon terrorizing Mikuru, and Tsuruya gleefully giving a too-cheerful Itsuki a Thousand Years of Pain. Yeah... we're a bit weird.

Edited by Spooky

For anyone that hasn't seen the series and is at least remotely interested in it, I highly recommend checking it out. It remains one of my favorites, to the tune of having spent over $200 on getting the special edition releases of each DVD as it came out.

You don't even want to know how many Haruhi & cast figures we have between my wife and I. For example, we've got a full set of the figmas that I'll arrange as dioramas going across the fireplace mantle - the current lineup features such highlights as elk-headed Kyon terrorizing Mikuru, and Tsuruya gleefully giving a too-cheerful Itsuki a Thousand Years of Pain. Yeah... we're a bit weird.

I have the special edition of the first volume but it was entirely by accident. I thought it was a box set for the whole first season and then when I got home and opened it up it was just one. I spent like 20-30 bucks on it I think. Oh well, I kept it and I have no regrets.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is one of the only anime shows that I have dropped. I couldn't make it through the first season. From what I'm seeing, I may need to try watching it again.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is one of the only anime shows that I have dropped. I couldn't make it through the first season. From what I'm seeing, I may need to try watching it again.

It really depends on why you dropped the show - what didn't you like about it? Knowing that would help in making a recommendation of something you might enjoy more. Even though I love the show, I will admit that it just isn't for everyone.

I couldn't make it through the first season.

If you think that was hard, try making it through "Endless 8" in the second season. :blink:

But I wouldn't want that to discourage you from completing the first season, because it's truly an excellent series, and a high point of the art.

It really depends on why you dropped the show - what didn't you like about it? Knowing that would help in making a recommendation of something you might enjoy more. Even though I love the show, I will admit that it just isn't for everyone.

It was a mix of things. The characters were unlikable, the fight scenes were unnecessary and boring, the music was annoying, and the art style was generally off-putting. I guess it's not the kind of show for me, since I'm usually more invested in a series with a lot of world building, but I really think it could have been made better.

It was a mix of things. The characters were unlikable, the fight scenes were unnecessary and boring, the music was annoying, and the art style was generally off-putting. I guess it's not the kind of show for me, since I'm usually more invested in a series with a lot of world building, but I really think it could have been made better.

It sounds like you had enough problems with it that I wouldn't recommend trying to pick it back up. If you're looking for something that's got more emphasis on building out a more involved story with something that is very different in tone and style than Haruhi, perhaps try checking out Durarara or Baccano? That's the first recommendation that comes to mind for me.