Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP ripoffs

SarevolThePony

I was curiously interested to see if there was any ripoffs of G4 MLP, Since over the years in usually everywhere especially dollar stores, I've seen these awful ripoffs of MLP, And I actually found a few fakers.

post-7147-0-71882400-1345366372.png

post-7147-0-93942000-1345366443_thumb.jpg

post-7147-0-57761600-1345366465_thumb.jpg

The "My Little Funny" one's gotta be the worst ones, I mean really? My Little Funny? And they rearranged the cutie marks in different places.

But I've seen worse, But they're not bad just, Why use the same Hasbro vectors? I dunno, Chinese are always like that.

Edited by DaddyCewlSterTube

It isn't even funny. They probably mean it as a joke. Oh, I'm laughing, cause I have plan to burn these fake toys.

Its just a different brand. Probably meant for those who can't spend 30+USD on a single toy.

Just because its from another company dose not mean its fake. Its like saying cloths that are not from Nike are fake.

Edited by Vicke
  • Brohoof 4

they would only be fake if they were claiming to be hasbro products but do not have the stamp on the hoof to confirm that, other companies are aloud to use the likeness of characters for there own toys (with hasbro's permission)

Yes, these are ripoffs, but it's only considered.

They may have maketing permission from Hasbro themselves, but we dont know. it's only a icture.

But if they can't give applejack a Stetson... I will burn their fake toys and steal their money!

When I was a young, ignorant philly I used to buy Yu-Gi-Oh rip off cards from a dollar store. I thought I had found some amazing secret in the poorly made cards with bad grammar and stats like infinity attack and defense. Eventually I realized that these were fake wastes of paper, but for the time I had them I felt like the coolest kid on my block.

Moral of the story: Yes, these are cheap knock offs of the real MLP toys, but for those who don't know any better or who can't afford better these could be the find of a lifetime. As long as these don't seriously impact the sales of the originals (highly unlikely), I don't see any problem with a potential source of enjoyment being sold as a cheap alternative.

• Brohoof 5

Though I agree with most of which that was said above, I must ask if it is legal to use the actual character on the box? Yes, the figurines themselves aren't the exact characters, but the pictures are the EXACT same as the Hasbro toys.

• Brohoof 1

Though I agree with most of which that was said above, I must ask if it is legal to use the actual character on the box? Yes, the figurines themselves aren't the exact characters, but the pictures are the EXACT same as the Hasbro toys.

if they have permission to do so, yes they so, they are allowed to use the ponies likeness in any form even the picture on the box
  • Brohoof 1

Rarity (Or funny) toy that comes with colored pineapples and a tiara? I say........AWESOME. I still find them pretty funny.

No company licences its own images to companies that produce knock-offs. They wouldn't want their work associated with another name. Usually a knock-off item will have something changed on it, just enough so that it's legal... but these are using the same images the real Hasbro toy boxes use. They definitely wouldn't be able to sell them in the US for very long without someone noticing.

Notice the website names, though. These are sites that import mostly Chinese items, and China isn't so strict on copyright. Those "ponies" are probably all over the place in Asia, but I seriously doubt you'll see "My Funny" in a US dollar store. :P

Edited by Questio

Bootleg anything is pretty hilarious.

Especially when you read the back of the box description in great broken english.

So much this. I used to have this little POS digital camera with manual and stuff that I got for free that I only kept because the manual described plugging it into the computer as if it was *ahem* innuendo.

To those saying these aren't bootlegs: These obviously are. Thes ripoff design, the packaging, etc. are pretty telltale signs. I'm pretty when if Hasbro was going to have another company manufacture merchandise for one of their biggest product lines, there would be quality inspections, etc, and they would actually look like the actual ponies, and not, well, knockoffs.

Gotta love the bootleg "Rarity" in the OP, though. "I seem to be breaking out in a crystalline rash! I wonder if these technicolor pineapples did it? Hurrrrrrrrrrr..."

• Brohoof 1

depending on cheap they are ($2 im sold!), id buy them. they are still cute! and sure they aren't real MLPs, but they'd still look cute next to real ones on the shelf.

• Brohoof 2

I saw some other knock offs at CVS... It was pretty hilarious, at first I was like :D then I was like :(. I wouldn't buy a knock off because I want to support Hasbro and Hasbro only (for pony toys that is).

• Brohoof 3

When I was in Majorca, I saw loads (well, actually my mum found them) loads of rip off G3 ponies. Even though some of them carried the original brand name 'My Pretty Pony', they were still complete rip offs. They also had ripped of Spiderman, a toy that had all the same features of Spiderman (even the spider on the chest) and gave it a different name.

• Brohoof 1

But with Hasbro's current track record, do you honestly believe they would really give away the opprotunity to make more money?

if they have permission to do so, yes they so, they are allowed to use the ponies likeness in any form even the picture on the box

But with Hasbro's current track record, do you honestly believe they would really give away the opprotunity to make more money?

its a good business decision on Hasbro's part, the company will have to pay for the rights for a ponies likeness and there will alway be people who want the real deal so Hasbro wins and makes a profit either way Edited by PonyEcho
  • Brohoof 1

Yes, but if they can't realize the fact that most of the people on these forums are will to spend more than quadruple than their target audience can pay just for a show accurate toy, then what makes you think they'll realize that?

its a good business decision on Hasbro's part, the company will have to pay for the rights for a ponies likeness and there will alway be people who want the real deal so Hasbro wins and makes a profit either way

Yes, but if they can't realize the fact that most of the people on these forums are will to spend more than quadruple than their target audience can pay just for a show accurate toy, then what makes you think they'll realize that?

you rely want them to realize that because if they did they would likely increase the price of all the toys also consider the fact that the target audience doesn't pay there parents do.

also its not like there aren't any Hasbro MLP toys on sale it just these toys are out as well

• Brohoof 1