Is Fluttershy overrated?

Toughbrony20

I ask this because about 2 days ago I saw 4 different polls asking people what is their favorite of the mane 6, it's seems that all of the polls had fluttershy win unanimously. I'm not bashing on any people who enjoy it (or should i say her) the most but I just want to know why, because I see it (or her) as a character that doesn't do much

• Brohoof 1

Oh come on, the cuteness, the shyness, the innocence, it creates a maximum amount of 'DAW that makes you squee. How can you resist them cute eyes?

EDIT: So, if I'm the first person to post after the guy who actually started the thread, I will get unlimited brohoofs?

MOAR EDITZ YAY: Gaah! The amount of Brohoofs makes me want to post some Fluttehshai.

Posted Image

Congrats, you just got a heart attack by looking at a butter and pink pony.

Edited by The Awesome One
  • Brohoof 23

SIGNATURE_1.jpeg

No, I do not see Fluttershy as being over-rated. She is a true introvert, but she has a deep well of strength that she taps during adversity. A lot of it has to do with her element which she does embody. Who can be hostile to kindness?

• Brohoof 1

Silvadel, the Pegasus of Insight.

She is, in my opinion, the cutest of the Mane 6. :|

Fluttershy is easy to love, simply because she's adorable! She was my favorite when I first watched the show. My reaction was something like "D'AWWWWW" and I believe most of us had the same reaction. I don't think she's overrated. In fact, I think she has, more-or-less, the same amount of fans as Rainbow Dash.

Edited by DrizzleSTAR
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I guess she could be, she is one of my favorite characters, and just happens to be really adorable, so I can see why a lot of people like her, it's true that you just can't help but love those innocent eyes, not to mention voice. :)

Edited by ApocalyptiCchaos

signaaaaaa.png

I think a lot of people can identify with Fluttershy, I know I can even though she is not my favorite pony. I don’t think she’s overrated, she is so cute, and shy, and overall nice that she is just so hard not to like.

• Brohoof 1

876bc244.png

Signature Courtesy of

Like A Boss

Her voice, shyness and overall personality is heart-melting. Not to mention how beautiful she is, and those EYES. How can you not simply adore The Shy?

Posted Image

• Brohoof 2

img-4349-1-img-4349-1-img-4349-1-2ikaxhc.jpg

"Let the steel of my resolve be not bested by the sum of my fears."

I feel like this thread is going to start a shitstorm.

Anyway, I think Fluttershy is a tad over-rated. Sorry to those who like her, but she is.

Fluttershy is easy to love, simply because she's adorable!

Her voice, shyness and overall personality is heart-melting

How can you resist them cute eyes?

I don't wanna sound rude, not at all but I really don't understand how she is the cutest of the Main 6. :| She's just like any other pony except she's shy.

I feel like I'm gonna get hate for this.

• Brohoof 8

derpy_hooves_pixel_by_blaze33193-d54dpo3.png

I feel like this thread is going to start a shitstorm.

Anyway, I think Fluttershy is a tad over-rated. Sorry to those who like her, but she is.

I don't wanna sound rude, not at all but I really don't understand how she is the cutest of the Main 6. :| She's just like any other pony except she's shy.

I feel like I'm gonna get hate for this.

I can understand what you're talking about. But I'm sure that it's her shyness that makes her adorable, y'know? Something about her voice, her 'squees' and bascially everything she does. I don't have a good example to give, but that's basically the reason why everybody likes her. She's shy :P

She's not my favorite either, but I still like her. I'd feel horrible if I hated her. D:

Edited by DrizzleSTAR
  • Brohoof 1

Yes, Fluttershy is overrated and I do like Fluttershy best of the mane 6. I find a lot of differences between why others like her compared to me. Everybody finds her adorable and then people make provocative fan art and stuff like that... I don't get it, shes shy when would she do that, that's not fan art that's fan fic art. People take her character out of context all the time and I don't get it. You can't change her attitude from that of the show. Also, she never does anything besides tend to the animals unless given direction(generally from her friends).

Fluttershy isn't necessarily overrated. If quite a lot of people like her, that's their choice. Plus, she is the second cutest pony of the mane 6. (Who can resist Pinkie sneezing confetti?)

Oh, I found this cute Fluttershy gif.

Posted Image

Fooled ya! :3

• Brohoof 6

C4APAJc.png

(I used to be Sapphire until I drank some cactus juice.)

Most of you guys and gals are funny! B)

And here is why: Lets not forget one of the reasons we like the show in the first place: The personality and character integrity, and/or wide variety of different personalities in the show. To say any one single main character is overrated, is the same as saying "I like you until I get bored with you, and then I'll move on to the next character". In my opinion, if you take that attitude, you are going to run out of characters my friends!

What I am trying to say is this: everyone is going to identify with a character more than the others, based on his or her personality. One theory: most people that are shy do not want to be seen as such, so they also try to pick a character opposite from them to fill that void, if you will. But I won't go too deep into this!

Lets also not forget: the majority that probably like Fluttershy more are probably younger guys and gals that do not yet associate themselves with online polls and forums. Fluttershy could be the most popular character! Ya never know! Although the internet is huge, its not the only medium out there.

Last but not least, everypony is best pony! Nuff said! :wub:;):P:D:lol::huh: ........ :ph34r: ninja wanted to join too.

EDIT: whoops! I misread the OP as (not unanimous as opposed to unanimous. But my main point still stands!)

Edited by Steel Matt
  • Brohoof 2

HollyDash14.png

I am completely indifferent to Fluttershy. I don't find her to be the most adorable. I can look at her and feel nothing. I prefer Pinkie Pie when it comes to cuteness. I don't know, Pinkie Pie is fluffy, Fluttershy isn't. And the fact that I'm like her changes nothing. Meh. It does bother me a little people say she is the best. She just tends to animals and keeps to herself. I can respect that, since that's sort of like me.

One theory: most people that are shy do not want to be seen as such, so they also try to pick a character opposite from them to fill that void, if you will.

Can you read my mind or something? :blink:

Edited by Berry Pie
  • Brohoof 2

Flutters_and_Dash.png

Fluttershy was my personal favorite when I first watched the show, but when I start watching season 2 I realized that there were much more awesome ponies. Why?

First off, she's somewhat boring. Yes, she does have some funny moments, but her personality can be summed up as "a shy, cowardly wallflower that doesn't fit in". Of course, most of her funniest moments come from her cuteness, shyness or rare assertiveness, which isn't much variety as say Rarity, who's a hammy drama queen who over exaggerates a lot. That's only a small percent of her personality though, while with Fluttershy her shyness is most of her. She needs more character development, and I'd be fine with that, but for now, her personality is quite one-dimensional compared to her other friends.

Second, her episodes and morals are all too similar. Hurricane Fluttershy is one of my favorite episodes, but it's all very similar to say, Dragonshy or Putting Your Hoof Down. Essentially, in all of the episodes Fluttershy's shyness and social anxiety get in the way of something and she has to overcome it. As soon as I saw the Hurricane Fluttershy episode summary I instantly knew, "Oh, yeah, it's going to have the same moral and plot elements as every other Fluttershy episode, boring." That said, because I had no expectations for Hurricane Fluttershy it ended up being one of my favorite episodes, but it still is Fluttershy having to overcome the same thing again. We get it, you're shy. I hope the essential season 3 Fluttershy episode doesn't revive the idea, because then the writers should really stop making a character learn the same thing over and over again.

Yes, Fluttershy is adorable, but she doesn't deserve all the constant attention. She's doesn't compare to the other ponies in character development or structure. I'm not saying you can't identify with her or enjoy her, she's just bland. And that is why she's least favorite mane 6 character. And that is why she should improve.

Edited by Rarietty
  • Brohoof 4

n1eS6.gif

No i dont think she is over rated. The reason people, well some people like me like her because she is quiet and her personality is just over all cute. I am guess people like her because she is sooo shy. She does need to build up her self esteem at times but i think that is common for some people. I feel her personality is alot like humans, if u will. This is because she deals with everyday issues such as being shy and all that stuff that people usually have to deal with. This is my opinion so please dont judge what i say anyone. thanks :333

Fluttershy was my personal favorite when I first watched the show, but when I start watching season 2 I realized that there were much more awesome ponies. Why?

First off, she's somewhat boring. Yes, she does have some funny moments, but her personality can be summed up as "a shy, cowardly wallflower that doesn't fit in". Of course, most of her funniest moments come from her cuteness, shyness or rare assertiveness, which isn't much variety as say Rarity, who's a hammy drama queen who over exaggerates a lot. That's only a small percent of her personality though, while with Fluttershy her shyness is most of her. She needs more character development, and I'd be fine with that, but for now, her personality is quite one-dimensional compared to her other friends.

Second, her episodes and morals are all too similar. Hurricane Fluttershy is one of my favorite episodes, but it's all very similar to say, Dragonshy or Putting Your Hoof Down. Essentially, in all of the episodes Fluttershy's shyness and social anxiety get in the way of something and she has to overcome it. As soon as I saw the Hurricane Fluttershy episode summary I instantly knew, "Oh, yeah, it's going to have the same moral and plot elements as every other Fluttershy episode, boring." That said, because I had no expectations for Hurricane Fluttershy it ended up being one of my favorite episodes, but it still is Fluttershy having to overcome the same thing again. We get it, you're shy. I hope the essential season 3 Fluttershy episode doesn't revive the idea, because then the writers should really stop making a character learn the same thing over and over again.

Yes, Fluttershy is adorable, but she doesn't deserve all the constant attention. She's doesn't compare to the other ponies in character development or structure. I'm not saying you can't identify with her or enjoy her, she's just bland. And that is why she's least favorite mane 6 character. And that is why she should improve.

Hmmm...well...maybe it isn't so much as you say. In a sense, yes, every chapter dedicated to Fluttershy was to her overcoming fear, but they ARE different kind of fear. Dragonshy is in the sense of her friends and protecting them, even when afraid of ALL things moving and, pretty much.. Now, out of all of the mane 6, she DOES have the biggest sense of protectiveness, so to speak. And this was developed after taking care of her animals. Besides, compare each pony in something. ll the mane 6 have something that they would protect with their lives, and the only thing more important would either be family or friends.

Putting Your Hoof Down isn't so much as in fear. Yes, the fear of becoming a living doormat in a sense, but that's something NEITHER of us want. And in truth, she does overcome that and become more assertive. However, and I think this is one of the things most people ignore of Fluttershy in my opinion, she took it to the extreme. Because she doesn't know how to control it, and since it worked, why change it? Only when she saw her friends became really hurt by her actions did she avoid doing so. It was after this chapter she DID regain a bit more of assertiveness, as for example seen in Dragon Quest, when she DIDN'T let Rainbow Dash drag her down.

And finally, Hurricane Fluttershy deals with the infamous stage fright. And also, this chapter brings us another feature of Fluttershy. After her encounter with almost death, she developed two things. One was the fear of flight, and, after seen that she could feel safe, most stuff around (which is another way of, again, taking it to the extreme. Since staying away from everything works, let's do that as much as we can, pretty much). The other thing she developed was her love for animals.

And the reason the writers CAN'T add much to Fluttershy's character, or rather, not as quickly, is because of the same reason writers take a risk when writing a character as Fluttershy. Whenever you do such characters, you can't just expect them to just overcome everything out of nowhere. That would be highly unrealistic. Doesn it seem like a reapeat ad infinitum of the situations she has to overcome? Maybe, but they are still different things, and plus, they make her character slowly grow. The only thing they can try is adding something new to Fluttershy, which again, with a character as shy as she is...yeah, that's not so easy to do. Does that make sense? (Also, Fluttershy is second fav pony to me. First place goes to Rarity darling XD). Also, I don't think she is overrated. Shy just has that combination of shyness/adorableness that pretty much very few resist XD

Edited by Arcanel
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think Fluttershy as a character is overrated, but I do think people take the idea of her being 'the cutest thing ever' a bit far sometimes. Frankly, all the ponies, not just Fluttershy, are bucking cute, to the point where I feel my heart about to implode whenever any of them do something. The fact Fluttershy's shy and caring personality adds to this is why she's perceived as the cutest. But you know, to me, that doesn't make her the cutest. I find Dash the cutest, because she has that natural Faust pony cuteness aspect to her like all of them, but she purposefully tries to act tough and cool, aka, trying her best NOT to be cute, which in turn, makes her all the more cuter to me

So yeah. Yes and no.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 2

fSnYzne.png

Is Fluttershy Overrated?

Yes

Does that mean she can't be sombody's favorite pony?

Heck no!

It's all in preference really, in my opinion, she kinda is over-rated, but that doesn't mean people can't lover her ^.^

• Brohoof 2

lel.png

:3