Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

WAIT A DAMN MINUTE!

ZLTavs

In the episode "Cutie Mark Chronicles" if that was Fluttershy's first ever trip to the ground in her life, how did she instantly know all of the animals' names?!

Sources: So Many Wonders.

• Brohoof 2

well i do believe that they have school... and that they could of learned all about the earthly animals that where on the ground... just pointing that out i mean how else did we learn what animals there where we learned about them some how either in school or Steve Erwin taught us. :P

• Brohoof 13

One either does not think to deeply into this or perhaps she read a book (that doesn't fall through clouds.) with pictures to know what these animals are.

How did you learn about animals like lions or giraffes before you actually saw them? :P From people who've already seen them, of course. As previously stated, she probably learned it from a book or her teacher/parents.

• Brohoof 3

Alright, if you've never been to Africa, you would still know the names of the animals that reside there, no? You'd watch it on Animal Planet or National Geographic, learn about it at school or go to the Zoo and see the animals there. Fluttershy obviously went to school and so, she learned the names of the animals. She knew what they looked like too.

• Brohoof 1

I understand what you're getting at! I mean, sure, they have school, but she also says in her little song something along the lines of, "If I had known the ground had so much to offer..." which implies she didn't know

However, my strongest opinion goes with everyone else that she went to school and learned about them. C:

We learn the names of planets in school even though we're probably never going to travel to them.

That and knowing names of animals is common knowledge. Even if she wasn't taught about them, she could probably hear by word of mouth.

Edited by Rarietty
  • Brohoof 1

I'm actually listening to a remix of so many wonder's right now :D

Yeah, i presume she had seen them in school but not in real life. The first time i saw animal's in real life like alligator's and whales/dolphins i was amazed at the size of them!

Posted Image

Probably from pictures and books. I've never met a platypus before, but I would recognize one if I saw it.

The strangest thing to me is that there are pegasi who never leave Cloudsdale, at least maybe not until they grow up. Those wings are pretty useless if you never use them to go anywhere.

Well there are a lot of people who never leave their hometown or at least home area(spend their entire lives pretty much within 100 square miles say). I would think it would also depend a lot on your talent. I mean if you have a talent for making snowflakes, you might not have much impetus to leave. It does seem like a very bustling city.

As for fluttershy -- she might have known about the animals in an abstract way but not really visualized how "ground" would actually be.

I've wondered this question before, but was not actually interested enough to think about it any further. Glad to know others out there are just teeming with answers to questions like these, so I don't have to think. :D

Well, I kinda wondered about that too, but then I thought about it some more.

It's kinda like this: You have (probably) never been to Africa, right? Well, does that mean you don't know ANYTHING about the country? Of course not. You learn either in school, or from family members and friends who have been there before. Ponies in Canterlot/Ponyville still know a bit about Cloudsdale, so they know. :P

• Brohoof 2

I agree that she learned it in school or something. I assumed she thought that animals were somewhat rare to see since they probably only occasionally saw birds in cloudsdale.

It would be a shock to go from 3 or 4 birds a day to creatures everywhere you look.

• Brohoof 1

School... that is the only possible explanation, except of course from family... I think I can be correct in saying the ponies in Ponyville know something about Cloudsdale

• Brohoof 1

Ok. I've seen a couple of answers like books and abstract and all that stuff. However, I believe there is one answer that'll top them all and it is thus:

SHUT UP AND DON'T QUESTION IT!

If the previous answer did not help:

magic. *snort* *snort*