Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

C.Discord's Pony Body Language Topic

NavelColt

Humans express their emotions mostly through their face, arm or leg movements. When you think about it, ponies have quite a few ways of demonstrating their emotions through their bodies that we don't have. I've been thinking about this idea ever since I read a story on FIMFiction called 'Moodwings', which I thought was a fantastic and unique story, and I wanted to make a discussion topic, because I personally see lot's of potential.

Disclaimer: I'm gonna lay it out there right now that there there's many, many, many examples in the show where these body languages aren't used when they could have been used, are used when they didn't need to be, etc. Being a TV show, there's inconsistencies everywhere, and I'm sure accurate portrayal of something subtle like pony body language is not what the animators are making their priority, 24/7. But even more than that, these explanations are not all there is to this concept, either. I don't pretend to be expert on this. Explaining things like body language is complex to begin with, and there are always exceptions and variables on the individual situation at hand, that result in all kinds of tell-tale body language signs being used or not being used. There's also plenty of examples where body language signs are used for no particularly known reason at all. So take this topic with a grain of salt, and picture it how it would implement in Equestria as a basic concept that tries to explain common emotions and their common body language signs, and nothing more. Thanks :3

BTW: Model is mostly Dashie, cause she's best pony, and cause she has wings, a main part of this explanation. Hogging it to Dash gives ya'll an opportunity to post examples of the other ponies in your own examples of emotion depiction, as well, if you want Posted Image
--

Ears:
Unlike humans, whose' ears are next to pointless when it comes to body language seeing as how (most people) can't really move theirs a whole lot for it to make an actual noticeable difference, ponies' ears are very flexible, and we've seen them used numerous times as an indication for mood.

Happy ponies, as well as generally content ponies have their ears in an upwards fashion.

post-4006-0-87317200-1347434546_thumb.png
post-4006-0-53063100-1347432697_thumb.png

Sad, unhappy or angry ponies, even ponies in a generally negative mood will often have their ears flattened or pointed a bit downwards.

post-4006-0-50351100-1347433242_thumb.pngpost-4006-0-21119900-1347432940.png
post-4006-0-35032000-1347432952_thumb.png

Shock, surprise, nervousness and focus are often examples of when flattened and downwards ears are used, as well, it would seem. As if 'battening down' their ears is some sort of jolt reaction, anxious from nervousness, and also used when a pony is trying their best to concentrate on something difficult at hand, or, just in suspense of something intense or fun.

post-4006-0-48810900-1347433461_thumb.png
post-4006-0-28801400-1347434794_thumb.png
post-4006-0-06887500-1347434994_thumb.png
post-4006-0-20913500-1347433011.png
post-4006-0-80514400-1347432963_thumb.png

Hooves:
Although ponies often use their hooves to express emotion in the air or by placing them against their own bodies, much similar to us humans, they do have natural things they do that humans don't; after all, these are hooves, not hands. Along with ears, hooves are a basic body language all ponies have. Sometimes it's obvious what hooves are being used for, other times, not so much.

Perhaps one of the most interesting yet common uses of a front hoof is when one front hoof is picked up over the other three. A pony can be demonstrating excitement, surprise, a friendly greeting, or sign of contentment when talking with friends. They could also be displaying a sense of defense or being taken aback. Some ponies will do it simply because they're confused or baffled.

post-4006-0-31961800-1347436068_thumb.png
post-4006-0-33203200-1347436212_thumb.png
post-4006-0-08094800-1347437715_thumb.png
post-4006-0-82920500-1347436053_thumb.png
post-4006-0-22965900-1347436318_thumb.png
post-4006-0-69147000-1347436365_thumb.png

Wings:
Pegasi possess wings, an entirely unique way to demonstrate emotion that Earth ponies and Unicorns do not have. For the most part, wings are put away for disuse next to a ponies' body, but they often flare up, even when a pegasus doesn't plan on flying any time soon.

Pegasi's wings will fluff up to demonstrate shock, showing passive irritance or fluttering their wings open like how a peacock does it's tail feathers, to show off.

post-4006-0-80031100-1347433884_thumb.png
post-4006-0-12685200-1347432958_thumb.png
post-4006-0-85049700-1347433871_thumb.png
post-4006-0-58848200-1347433924_thumb.png

Timid ponies may often droop their wings to show shyness or as a generally submissive behavior. They may even do it when they're disturbed, or feel extremely awkward. Other times, their wings may refuse to fluff out when desired, due to fear.

post-4006-0-25716800-1347435515_thumb.png
post-4006-0-70871200-1347437586_thumb.png
post-4006-0-37673200-1347435586_thumb.png

• Brohoof 20

YES :D Mood wings, that surely is one of the most amazing ideas ever :D Love that fanfic.

I would read trough this topic even if this idea for discussion wasn't amazing, because well, Dashie.

Mood wings was kind of amazing. Plus it means anyone who was put into equestria would probably end up being looked at as a stalker as I would figure looking at the wings would be something any of us would find natural to do.

Wow this is very well thought out. Ponies show all kinds of body language. I have seen one charter showing emotion threw his hoofs. When ever Pound Cake got sad or mad he would whale his hoofs around franticly. He did it when Mr. and Mrs. Cake left for the party, during Pinkie Pies song, during snack time, and bath time when he broke the faucet. Also after Pinkie pored the bag of floor on her head to make them stop crying at snack time, he began to bang on his tray. This also a movement to show he is happy.Posted Image

Update- Thought I add a video to show the meaning.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=62nTScmHUbY&list=PL1C437539CD931798&index=94&feature=plpp_video

Edited by pinkiefan1287
  • Brohoof 1

Wow nice work.....This should be a school project or something. Just think you could tell how some pony feels just by looking at them.

Edit: Should have added Wing boners for the lulz

Edited by ~Chaotic Harmony~

So much Dashie...

I like tyhis thread alot it really is interesting and I havent seen to many threads made by you Chaotic. This one however is quite nice indeed! /Brohoof.

It must have took a bit of observing to notice all these subtle things. I noticed a few but the ears really surprised me. Once again well done. It almost makes me a bit annoyed I didnt think of it...

• Brohoof 1

So much Dashie...

I like tyhis thread alot it really is interesting and I havent seen to many threads made by you Chaotic. This one however is quite nice indeed! /Brohoof.

It must have took a bit of observing to notice all these subtle things. I noticed a few but the ears really surprised me. Once again well done. It almost makes me a bit annoyed I didnt think of it...

Feel free to hunt through any topics I've made in the past, via my profile ^^ There's certainly a dozen or so I've done in all. And thanks, I'm glad this idea has been so well recieved so far. I stayed up till 4 in the morning finishing it among some other late-night things xD

Wow nice work.....This should be a school project or something. Just think you could tell how some pony feels just by looking at them.

Edit: Should have added Wing boners for the lulz

Well, shit. I always noticed the "one hoof above the rest" emotion (which I actually love to see in the show for some reason... yea I'm weird) but this is just like info to the extreme on each emotion. Good job CD!

You and your long walls of text xD

• Brohoof 1

Nice! You seem to do a lot of research on these things... I have to say though, the ears flattening, could just be because when your sad you look down, when your nervous you look down, so I think having the ears go down as well finishes the emotion.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

Thought I'd just make a reply to this ancient topic of mine, because this isn't relevant enough to be a new Show Discussion thread, but I also don't want to make some reply in a Forum Lounge thread no one will read nor care about.

In the S5 premiere, I noticed a certain pose being used again, of which has been used a few times, before. I call it the 'Friendly Flank Lean'.

869416__safe_screencap_spoiler-colon-s05

The last time I remember seeing this was all the way back in Swarm of the Century. Though I'm certain it's been used in-between these two episodes, too.

tumblr_m4xdz4u5Mh1qglk3d.png

At its base, and in the case of Night Glider and Double Diamond, it's a defensive display, hiding behind your stronger friend in the face of a danger. Though in Dash's case I think she'd just bored and perhaps a bit lazy.

"AJ hold still, I'm checking out these weird people watching us. You seem em too, Twi?"

"I do. What...are those things?"