Is it bad that I like the darker side of MLP?

Pinkaminas_little_helper

Well, first I started out watching the show and this gap between Season 2 and 3 has led me to explore Mlp a little more. Started with people like BronyDanceParty and My Little Dashie but eventually I got to the darker stuff like Cupcakes and Rainbow Factory. After reading I noticed that I actually enjoyed reading them. Tumblr didn't help much either. With things like Ask Pinkamina Diane Pie and Ask Sadistic Rarity its gonna be hard to go back to the colorful, happy world of Season 3. Any advice?

You should not be ashamed of yourself! I love reading grimdark too. Just because many bronies don't like that kind of stuff doesn't mean that you have to dislike it (After all we as bronies should be used to this :P).

• Brohoof 2

Don't be ashamed people enjoy different parts of the fandom. What Juggler said "Just because many bronies don't like that kind of stuff doesn't mean that you have to dislike it." You just enjoy another part of the fandom.

• Brohoof 1

With things like Ask Pinkamina Diane Pie and Ask Sadistic Rarity its gonna be hard to go back to the colorful, happy world of Season 3. Any advice?

I love reading fanfiction! I don't like grimdark fics, but if you really want to, just watch some of the other FiM episodes. My favorites are Green Isn't Your Color and Find A Pet. Again, you can enjoy whatever part of the fandom you want, I don't care. But I think that would help best if you want to go back to rainbows and butterflies. Edited by Jverne

actually it was the darker stuff that helped bring me into MLP, it was a point in my pre brony phase, it was during the 3 week gap between episode 2 and 3 (of the second season of course) when i started researching bronys more, i read cupcakes, and read tumblrs like lil miss rairity and similar ones

People all have different interests and different things that catch their fancy, and it doesn't make one person better or worse than anyone else. You're just as entitled to enjoy grimdark, depressing and dark stuff, as I'm entitled to treat it like the plague :3

• Brohoof 2

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

• Brohoof 3

I myself don't really enjoy any Pony related things that involve excessive violence and gore, it just doesn't click right in my brain when combined with cute innocent ponies.

I do like slightly darker Pony themes though, like the idea of a big fantasy story type Equestria with swords and monsters. :D

No it's not bad at all, you enjoy what you enjoy, I don't usually read dark stuff, but thats because I don't read or watch a lot of fanfic stuff in general, so to each their own!

No not at all! It's not bad! It is just what you like. If you enjoy it then why would it be bad? :P

I love all horror themed stuff myself and there are alot of other people who does. If you don't like that you enjoy it, then try to watch more happy stuff or something. Maybe try avoiding it and rewatch some mlp episodes? :)

Not at all, like I've said before dark stuff is a way we face our own fears and demons.

I've enjoyed a little of it myself, one gulity pleasure of mine was Cheerliee's Garden for it's psychological horror.

If you want to wash Cupcakes away read Silent Ponyville, it will give you so much respect, love, and sympathy for Pinkie not even the worst gore fic will be able to make you think bad of her.

Heh, without the darker stuff, I wouldn't be here today.

basically, my first ever MLP:FiM related video was 'Sandvich' using the clips from zecora's shot and the cupcakes song shot.

I found out later about 'cupcakes' Animations...Then (Skipping a massively pointless but amusing adventure load of story-telling.) I watched Lesson Zero and fell in love with Psycho-Twi....Then I watched everything else....

Now I love the odd nicely done piece of Grimdark...Silent Ponyville got me into Silent hill....Berry's tests got me into SAW....Yeah, the dark stuff is just as good as the other stuff, you'll see the contrast when you watch an episode.

I thought I'd been corrupted by SPV.....I was wrong - I watched an episode, and realized; The darker stuff is so unlike the normal, we don't put the two together.

-Joe-

I thought I'd been corrupted by SPV.....I was wrong - I watched an episode, and realized; The darker stuff is so unlike the normal, we don't put the two together.

-Joe-

It had the opposite effect on me, it made me feel for Pinkie so much it washed away the effects up Cupcakes and prevented them from ever coming back.

It had the opposite effect on me, it made me feel for Pinkie so much it washed away the effects up Cupcakes and prevented them from ever coming back.

I'm sorry, and that was a fine point. It's just, after reading that, I realized how much that's true....In horror stuff in general for me.

Example: After watching SAW II, III and first half of IV, I saw how much I pitied Jigsaw, it seems odd, but makes sense to me.

Also, in Silent Hill, I pitied the witch-woman and the little girl and her mum..I'm odd.

-Joe-

I'm sorry, and that was a fine point. It's just, after reading that, I realized how much that's true....In horror stuff in general for me.

Example: After watching SAW II, III and first half of IV, I saw how much I pitied Jigsaw, it seems odd, but makes sense to me.

Also, in Silent Hill, I pitied the witch-woman and the little girl and her mum..I'm odd.

-Joe-

I still hold to this day that SPV is the best Cupcakes brain bleach on the face of the earth. Seeing Pinkie go through that and overcome it make her my favorite character all over again.

I need to play the Silent Hill games, I have 1, 3, and 4 laying around here.

• Brohoof 1

Dude. Most of us are teenage men. And what the hell do teenage men like? Violence, actions, death, scary things, ect. I like a bit it of the dark stuff as well. (not too dark...) Don't be ashamed man. To each their own.

And besides... the stuff you listed doesn't even come close to other things i've seen some people make... *shudders...

• Brohoof 1

hey some people like that kind of thing and well its just darker and probably gives confused people a reason to why you like it. but i dont like it im not into that kind of thing

Friendship is Betrayal. Yeah I do read some of the grimdark stuff as well -- but I can keep (most) of it in its separate mental drawer. I would be lying though if I said I didnt sometimes catch a hint of potentially dark implied meaning in the normal stuff sometimes now.

Thing is there are also a lot of really nice fanfiction that has brought me a little closer to some of the characters I didnt quite like as much -- this includes a little softening of celestia.

Dude, I love the darker side of the fandom, yet I still have a passionate love for the original show itself. You shouldn't be ashamed of yourself dude, if you like what you like, that's fine, no-one should tell you otherwise.