Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Pinkie Pie Schizophrenic?

Mint Petal

It's no surprise I love Pinkie Pie that's a given :P

She doesn't have "Schizophrena" because my father has that and I know the symptoms that come along with having that disorder. I would say that Pinkie Pie struggles from a lot of anxiety or Generalized Anxiety Disorder which is something I have myself. I spoke to a friend of mine tonight and he is going through the exact samethings I have been experiencing lately from this disorder and it runs along in my family and so in my friends family as well. 

Pinkie Pie is a very very caring character and has shown to be quite insecure in the show from time to time also worrying about many things as well. I'm sure if you have been following the show you may have picked up this about her character. If you read up about Generalized Anxiety Disorder you will have a better understanding about what I am talking about here. 

Edited by Gone Airbourne
  • Brohoof 2

"What I Learned This Time" on Youtube mentioned something about Pinkie Pie that made sense. She has abandonment issues.

Pinkie Pride

Your friends can be happy for reasons that have nothing to do with you. Work on those abandonment issues girl.

• Brohoof 2

I've heard some things saying that Pinkie Pie is schizophrenic in episode 25, Party of One, while others just say she's just reverting to her childhood. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Allow me to simply leave this video in response.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, She seems to have Paranoid Schizophrenia and Depression ,but most of the mane six appear to have some form of mental illness,Rarity and Apple Jack are the only ones of the mane six who I can say are completely "normal" by society's standards. But calling someone schizophrenic or OCD is just plain ableist. Twilight has OCD not because she's very organized but because not being on time and "perfect" has caused her a lot of emotional stress in various episodes. Heck in Lesson Zero the very idea of not being on time with her letters caused her so much stress that she decided to "make" a problem so she could send her letter on time.

Edited by CookieK

Research confirms comedians are more likely to get schizophrenic, bipolar, manic, or depression. I do believe Pinkie Pie has displayed those symptoms(to a degree).

Comedians tend to die younger as well, but they say it could be from the stress of their jobs, like worrying constantly if people are going to like your jokes or not, and job instability and competition. They say their humor is often derived from their skewed perspective which means they sort of depend on those poor traits in order to make their jokes funnier. At least one study shows the more successful comedians tend to die younger(younger than their other comedic partner, it may not have been a full study but it does still reveal some information. The article I read about the study didn't give in depth details, such as if the funnier one also was portrayed as more miserable or something)

I love Pinkie Pie though. But I have a schizo brother who is stable on meds after years of instability, I can see some he has in common with her honestly.

But not too  much in common, and pinkie still differs a bit beyond a few episodes from what one would expect from ill persons.

Edited by Lil Pip

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/generalized-anxiety-disorder-symptoms/

People with GAD can’t seem to shake their concerns, even though they usually realize that their anxiety is more intense than the situation warrants — that it’sirrational. People with GAD also seem unable to relax. They often have trouble falling or staying asleep. Their worries are accompanied by physical symptoms, especially trembling, twitching, muscle tension, headaches, irritability, sweating, or hot flashes. They may feel lightheaded or out of breath. They may feel nauseated or have to go to the bathroom frequently. Or they might feel as though they have a lump in the throat.

• Restlessness or feeling keyed up or on edge
  • Being easily fatigued
  • Difficulty concentrating or mind going blank
  • Irritability
  • Muscle tension
  • Sleep disturbance (difficulty falling or staying asleep, or restless unsatisfying sleep)

Pinkie pie's mood tends to ride in waves from being extremely happy then sad in a spur of the moment. Over-thinking and worrying about her friends and such... anxiety can be a direct cause of depression as well. That is just what I think though... Schizophrenia has a lot of things in common with GAD but their are major differences.  

Edited by Gone Airbourne

Doesn't seem like Pinkie Pie is Schizophrenic at all. Seems more like just how she acts :P

I've heard of how easy it seems to label people with mental illnesses based on their past and how they are now but seeing her all through the seasons...Nah.

Just seems like, maybe?

Edit:Typos

Edited by Cassiel

Watch episode 55 too many pinkie pies.

That episode showcases pinkie's issues with problematic anxiety... people can start seeing disorders develope later on in their life as well such as you could start showing signs at an older age also because it runs in your family as well that could be another triggering factor.

Panic attacks they come in waves in different levels of severity and at unpredictable times. Anxiety takes the better of you and you can't relax yourself... Pinkie pie too me after all this time watching the show that's what I see from her. She's just a greatly missunderstood character in my opinion and you wouldn't understand someone else unless you've truly gone through out the samething as them... my close friend told that to me the other day.

Edited by Gone Airbourne

For a lack of a better way of phrasing this, I don't take the storyline and various elements very seriously, as they're not supposed to be very realistic or reflective of RL personalities. Pinkie Pie's personality is the most inexplicable and hyperactive out of all of them for comedic effect, but she's always innocuous. I suppose another way of viewing this is, that behavior is not disordered in a magical and foreign place such as Equestria and thus our definitions of illness sometimes don't apply.

Also, I doubt schizophrenia would be applicable regardless. She's not paranoid or prone to delusions or hallucinations (barring that one episode, which, again, was done for humor). She's just constantly manic yet harmless. She wasn't intentionally designed to be actually mentally ill.

Edited by Roketsune