Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I need some serious help with my computer

Flying Whales

Okay, so I believe the bearings on the hard disk are coming loose or something, quite honestly I don’t really know what the issue is, but sometimes while I’m using the computer the disk will make these scratching sounds and I’m not really sure what it is. I was worried it was a head crash but I know it can’t be that because the computer is working fine. I’m worried there is something terribly wrong with it and it may be toast here soon.

What I’d like to know is if anyone knows how to enable my external hard drive to run the OS off of my hard drive in case of disaster?

Your help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :)

Edited by Flying Whales

I can only speak from what my brother has said, but I think when the Hard Drive starts getting noisy it's a sure-fire sign it's ready to go out on you. Hard drives spin, and when they spin the make noise. I'm not sure the scratching is necessarily your screws or if your hard drive is just getting old.

How long have you had said hard drive?

Try to open up the computer and remove it then put it back again.

What I’d like to know is if anyone knows how to enable my external hard drive to run the OS off of my hard drive in case of disaster?

http://www.ehow.com/how_4853479_operating-system-external-hard-drive.html

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070615071622AAXjpuq

Google is your friend.

I also want to add that I think you need a computer and an external hard drive with eSATA support to do this.

I've had it for almost a year now which is kind of shocking. All I know for sure is that is unusually noisy and my family is pretty pissed about it. The thing cost like $1,200 and I want to make it still useable should the disk die on me.

Yeah, all I know about hard drives is when they start to make noise like that, they are probably about to die. So the external hard drive thing is your best bet, really. And I wouldn't put it off because if it is going to die, it always does so at the most inconvenient time ever.

Personally i would do a back up of anything you need to keep that is vital.

Maybe if you have a large enough one... back your entire system up?

or use a cloud company until you figure out what the problem is.

So yes back up your HD...

(edited)

Personally i would do a back up of anything you need to keep that is vital.

Maybe if you have a large enough one... back your entire system up?

or use a cloud company until you figure out what the problem is.

So yes back up your HD...

What I need to know and I’m not sure how to do, and I’m beginning to think I should just call Apple is how to run the OS off it though. Also, my external HD is plenty big it’s 1 TB bigger than this computer’s HD so that’s not an issue.

@,

@@PrincessPixie,

@@Jokuc,

@,

@@Lunalicious,

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it. ^_^

Edited by Flying Whales

I can only speak from what my brother has said, but I think when the Hard Drive starts getting noisy it's a sure-fire sign it's ready to go out on you. Hard drives spin, and when they spin the make noise. I'm not sure the scratching is necessarily your screws or if your hard drive is just getting old.

How long have you had said hard drive?

Hardware problems? Macbook? Yeah, you're screwed. But, in all seriousness, it might be a difficult fix. You can't really run Mac OS on an external HDD, because of Apple's closed up source, so I would just take it to a genius bar, because they might know how to fix it.

That just really sucks. I own PC's only, it's my thing. But people I know who have or have had Mac's never have had this sort of problem.

Best advice, that everyone already has said, is take it in to a store that knows what they're doing.

If it's been just under a year since you've bought it you should hurry and up send it off for warranty as there's a one year warranty form the date of purchase.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/mac-english.html

You'll ever need to take it into a authorized apple reseller, or send it off to them yourself. The easiest way would probably be to take it back to where you bought it from though as they should provide after-service if they want to buy from them again.