Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Idea about Discord and Harmony/Chaos balance

Arcanel

I just thought about his, after remembering something about the balance of chaos and harmony, which I agree.

Discord LIVES for the chaos. It's his way to go, it's pretty much what he's made of, etc. However. HIS idea, is that world needs to be chaos, not only for fun, but as his way of ruling. If Discord (somehow) realized that both chaos and harmony need to exist...what would he do?

Yes, I'm considering the fact that he would probably ignore that fact, and cause more chaos anyway, but imagine what would happen if the fact that only chaos is the way to go....would need some harmony to actually be correct?

Bottomline is: "What would Discord do IF he were to accept that chaos and harmony should coexist?"

Edited by Arcanel

Intriguing topic, although I feel like that wording could be referring to a couple different concepts:

-The idea that harmony is necessary for chaos, and vice versa

-The idea that Discord may/could come to accept a balance between the forces of chaos and those of harmony

-The idea that in the show as well as IRL, an equal amount of harmony and chaos is needed

Just curious, which of these best fits your original idea? Or were you referring to some/all of them?

• Brohoof 1

Intriguing topic, although I feel like that wording could be referring to a couple different concepts:

-The idea that harmony is necessary for chaos, and vice versa

-The idea that Discord may/could come to accept a balance between the forces of chaos and those of harmony

-The idea that in the show as well as IRL, an equal amount of harmony and chaos is needed

Just curious, which of these best fits your original idea? Or were you referring to some/all of them?

All three, actually. I firmly believe that where harmony appears, so does chaos. And viceversa. The topic idea that I want this to generate is related to the second thing you mentioned. "What would Discord do IF he were to accept the fact that chaos and harmony should coexist?

You know, I'm adding that question as the bottomline.

Ahhhhh the whole there cannot be darkness without light and all that jazz..... Right.... Ummmm what would Discord do if he realised that?..... Well he still represents chaos... So I still think he would try to cause as much of it as he possibly could.... Just beause he comes to realise that both will always be present doesnt mean he wont continue to try and have as much of the prefered..... That of course being Chaos and Anarchy...

Edited by Valureon

All three, actually. I firmly believe that where harmony appears, so does chaos. And viceversa. The topic idea that I want this to generate is related to the second thing you mentioned. "What would Discord do IF he were to accept the fact that chaos and harmony should coexist?

You know, I'm adding that question as the bottomline.

Well in that case,

-I actually don't think that harmony and chaos MUST be balanced in nature. I think that they ARE, but i would argue that in Equestria we see a world that approaches much closer to pure harmony than our own does. And how do we view it? We want to be in it.

The idea of living in a world of near-pure harmony is so enticing to us that (you may or may not have noticed this, but) every other fanfic is about humans escaping this world to go to Equestria.

-If Discord were to accept the idea that some harmony is necessary would be extremely interesting. I think that'd be like a "redemption" themed fic or episode, kind of like Luna's "Luna Eclipsed", where Discord finds something he loves in Equestria or in Ponyville. He then must decide who he wants to be: the happy-go-lucky anarchist tyrant, or someone friendly who appreciates the beauty of harmony to a slight degree.

Come to think of it, it would also be pretty interesting if an episode/fic happened where Celestia began to appreciate whatever merits chaos may have.

Still, really that would never happen, as Celestia is pretty much the embodiment of harmony, and likewise Discord the embodiment of chaos.

Edited by Night Shine

The idea of living in a world of near-pure harmony is so enticing to us that (you may or may not have noticed this, but) every other fanfic is about humans escaping this world to go to Equestria.

I like to think that the fics that mention transport to Equestria, are because of the infamous "worse world to better world passage" or, just as the imagination of a different world. After all, not all of those fics are for the same thing are they?

-If Discord were to accept the idea that some harmony is necessary would be extremely interesting. I think that'd be like a "redemption" themed fic or episode, kind of like Luna's "Luna Eclipsed", where Discord finds something he loves in Equestria or in Ponyville. He then must decide who he wants to be: the happy-go-lucky anarchist tyrant, or someone friendly who appreciates the beauty of harmony to a slight degree. Come to think of it, it would also be pretty interesting if an episode/fic happened where Celestia began to appreciate whatever merits chaos may have.

So would I. it would pretty nice something around that. Or if not Celestia, Twilight, given the circumstances.

Still, really that would never happen, as Celestia is pretty much the embodiment of harmony, and likewise Discord the embodiment of chaos.

Well...Celestia isn't really the embodiment of Harmony. She's the embodiment of the sun, if anything, but there isn't an especific character who would represent Harmony for itself, considering ALL the acts that have had harmony have been conjoint forces..........which....makes a little bit of sense, when I think about it.

Harmony is something that represents the conjoint force of many things for everything to be in equilibrium. Chaos is more independent, something happens alone and that by just itself can do more.

Ahhhhh the whole there cannot be darkness without light and all that jazz..... Right.... Ummmm what would Discord do if he realised that?..... Well he still represents chaos... So I still think he would try to cause as much of it as he possibly could.... Just beause he comes to realise that both will always be present doesnt mean he wont continue to try and have as much of the prefered..... That of course being Chaos and Anarchy...

Yeah, but I want to go further on that philosophy. If he created more chaos, I thin that eventually something harmonic would come to appear as well. As in, always a proper balance of Chaos and Harmony. Should Discord realized this...what would be his point? What would he do? Would he continue? Or would he stop after an eventual meaningless deal after deal of harmony going back to destroy his precious chaos once more?

Yeah, but I want to go further on that philosophy. If he created more chaos, I thin that eventually something harmonic would come to appear as well. As in, always a proper balance of Chaos and Harmony. Should Discord realized this...what would be his point? What would he do? Would he continue? Or would he stop after an eventual meaningless deal after deal of harmony going back to destroy his precious chaos once more?

Since...(According to this theory) that harmony will always come from Chaos eventually..... I would like to think that if anything... this gives Dicord purpose.... something to live for.... He will always have something to fight against, he will be able to battle harmony and always try to spread Chaos across Equestria.... It may be a fight he will never be able to fully win... (Which is why you may think... and he may very well see it as a useless endeavour and give up).... But I still think he wouldn't see it this way.... And I think it gives him something to live and fight for.... And he would continue doing what Discord does best... Spreading Chaos and all things that go with it... I may very well be wrong with this.... But I dont think I like the idea that he would just stop... because he realises that it is a neverending conflict and that he cannot defeat harmony fully....

Since...(According to this theory) that harmony will always come from Chaos eventually..... I would like to think that if anything... this gives Dicord purpose.... something to live for.... He will always have something to fight against, he will be able to battle harmony and always try to spread Chaos across Equestria.... It may be a fight he will never be able to fully win... (Which is why you may think... and he may very well see it as a useless endeavour and give up).... But I still think he wouldn't see it this way.... And I think it gives him something to live and fight for.... And he would continue doing what Discord does best... Spreading Chaos and all things that go with it... I may very well be wrong with this.... But I dont think I like the idea that he would just stop... because he realises that it is a neverending conflict and that he cannot defeat harmony fully....

Do you know the irony of it all....chaos fighting harmony forever....and in a neverending cycle...would bring Discord to do what he would hate the most...routine.

I think people fail to understand that chaos is nothing more then opposite polarities conflicting with each other regardless of the medium of the polarity. Should the earth unite and live in harmony and become on singular polarity, we will be met with either another race that matches our own polarity, or a race that is the opposite polarity. We as single individuals are nothing more then an expression of the war of polarity in our own mind in which few try to discover and balance and bring to harmony with knowledge and understanding.

Edited by TwilightCircuits

I think people fail to understand that chaos is nothing more then opposite polarities conflicting with each other regardless of the medium of the polarity. Should the earth unite and live in harmony and become on singular polarity, we will be met with either another race that matches our own polarity, or a race that is the opposite polarity. We as single individuals are nothing more then an expression of the war of polarity in our own mind in which few try to discover and balance and bring to harmony with knowledge and understanding.

Interesting theory about polarities. Much as if it was some sort of magnet. But I'm wondering, do you have any idea for what Discord might in the situation described?
  • Brohoof 1

The bottom line is, sadly, I don't believe he would need to change his approach to anything, even if he did have an epiphany telling him such things. Discord is unnatural chaos. Chaos not found in nature. Whereas natural chaos happens with or without his presence, in ponies' everyday lives. It's the natural chaos interacting with natural harmony that keeps the universe in balance :3 Discord just sometimes comes out and warps everything to be his own personal brand of chaos, on top of everything else.

The bottom line is, sadly, I don't believe he would need to change his approach to anything, even if he did have an epiphany telling him such things. Discord is unnatural chaos. Chaos not found in nature. Whereas natural chaos happens with or without his presence, in ponies' everyday lives. It's the natural chaos interacting with natural harmony that keeps the universe in balance :3 Discord just sometimes comes out and warps everything to be his own personal brand of chaos, on top of everything else.

Well...yes and no. We actually don't know WHEN exactly did Discord appear on the world of Equestria. For all we know, he might have been part of it since the beginning of ti, thus, making him part of the natural chaos that maybe, just maybe, is destined to come back every now and then to bring the necessary spike of chaos that suchb a harmonic world like Equestria needs every now and then... :ph34r:

Well...yes and no. We actually don't know WHEN exactly did Discord appear on the world of Equestria. For all we know, he might have been part of it since the beginning of ti, thus, making him part of the natural chaos that maybe, just maybe, is destined to come back every now and then to bring the necessary spike of chaos that suchb a harmonic world like Equestria needs every now and then... :ph34r:

I think he's been here since the beginning as well, but that doesn't result in him inherently being apart of the natural chaos :3

I think he's been here since the beginning as well, but that doesn't result in him inherently being apart of the natural chaos :3

If he was from the beginning then he either came as the natural chaos for Equestria, OR created unnatural chaos since the beginning of Equestria. In theory, it could be argued this way that unnatural harmony was needed in order to cancel this unnatural chaos, AKA the Elements of Harmony.......interesting...