Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So Spike will one day hibernate for 100 years.

Captain Marvelous

28 users have voted

1. 1. Should they play the "life long sleep" in the series?

• Yay
    • Neigh

Im pretty sure that when he's the age that dragons hibernate, Twilight and everypony else will be gone. Dragons live for an extremely long time...

I wonder if they'll ever bring it up in the show. Like maybe Spike will comment on how one day he'll be huge or something like that...

actually me and someone had talked about it on deviantart about how it would go in the show.

Spike says that he has to sleep, Twilight feels like she will be left alone... an episode about a lesson in that no matter where you are, or how far apart you are, friends will always be friends.

Spike falls asleep.

Twilight writes to Princess Celestia.

Turns out since Spike is only a baby dragon, he only needed to sleep for about a week.

see a good lesson and a comical ending..

reminds me I need to work on that fanfic

• Brohoof 5

I think that it will be quite a while until he gets that big. He will probably be either a teenager or a young adult by the time the mane cast have all grown old and passed away. He will need to be a few centuries old before he ever sleeps that long. Him sleeping for a week is a pretty good idea though.

Edited by Slendermane

Yeah, in most species the metabolism of babies and children is much higher than older ones, so I'd imagine that the hibernation for him couldn't begin until his body was more developed. It would be too hard to change the physics so that he could sleep for that long, at least at his young age. So it would probably be something that happens after the show is complete.

On the good news side, Spike won't have to endure Generation's 5-whatever's attempts to mimic the awesomeness that is Friendship is Magic! He can just sleep through them all until the 22nd century. :D

I like to think that dragons live for a long long time Much longer than ponies. Like 20 thousand years or so. And so they mature veeery slowly and don't reach full maturity until they're like 1000 years old. That would explain why Spike is so small and different compared to the other dragons we've seen in the show. Therefore, Twilight & friends will probably never get to see Spike as an adult (neither will we).

100 years isn't that long for a full grown dragon.

I'd like to think Spike will grow into his adult form and be Equestria's greatest ambassador to other nations since Twilight will be the next princess and gain a 1,000 year renewal on life. Sure their friends will grow old and pass on but at least they'll still have each other to reflect upon the memories.

Something to consider is that Spike is pretty unique. He's a purple dragon. I don't think I've read much mythology on purple dragons and (I'm probably wrong) I don't think there's a purple D&D dragon.

But as far as the show's universe goes, we've seen a red and green dragon so far. Both of them breathe fire which suggests they're probably closely related. Spike, however, breathes green flame which, although it could just be written off as being what babies fire looks like, I personally like to believe that it means he breathes magic. It does at least suggest he's different from other species of dragon which means he very well may not get as big as, sleep as much as, or possibly even live as long as other dragons.

Personally I like to believe that purple dragons are a very rare form of royalty in the dragon culture who have all but become extinct due to in-fighting over territory and power. But that's completely fan theory.

Well Spike's flame still burns things, the only thing that his flame does differently is send things to Princess Celestia, which we don't even have any confirmation that other dragons can't do the same.

Though it's rare to find a purple dragon in anything and the Legend of Spyro suggests that purple dragons are special in some way, that they have the ability to do things that other dragons cannot or can wield power of all other types of dragons given the opportunity to learn it.

(edited)

well there is a chance the only reason Spike's fire is different is because he was A) Hatched unnaturally or B ) Celestia had a dealing in it, so that she could keep in touch with her student

Edited by Captain Marvelous

That's true but at the same time...how does Celestia send hers to him?

...Now that I think about it that may actually be the case, she had a dealing in his hatching and that fire breath because it uses a power that she apparently uses herself.

Spike hibernating for centuries is a depressing thought, but then again (like so many people have said already) it probably won't happen for a loooong time since dragons mature slowly.

About Spike's breath: I think that all dragons have the ability to send messages with firebreath (or at least in the fim universe) - let me explain.

So, Twilight's "initiation" test to get into Celestia's school was to hatch a dragon egg. She couldn't have been the only one with that sort of test - remember at this point no one saw her as anything different than another initiate, so it makes sense she got the same initiation test as some other ponies did.

Now, the dragons certain students get aren't just given to them for no reason. I'd say it makes sense that they're given as companions and "messengers", explaining why Spikes breath can send letters to Celestia...

Hope you followed my explanation.. That's just what I think, but of course I could be wrong - just what makes sense for me.

• Brohoof 2

Well, if the entrance exam to Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns involves hatching a dragon egg EVERYTIME, I suppose she just grabs one and shoves the scroll up its behind... I suppose she has plenty of them baby dragons lying around.

I always just assumed that transporting and burning flame were completely separate, and that Spike could breathe either at will.  So far, there's no evidence that points to the contrary.

Reflexes are a completely different matter, of course.  From what we've seen, sneezing = burning and hiccups = transporting, and Spike has no control over that.