Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dealing with Scammers

Courageous Thunder Dash

Scammers are sooo cunning, but in the end, they're just sneaky thieves trying to get your money. 

So I've been searching on YouTube, finding people who have gotten phone calls or visits from these scammers. 

I have noticed that when they get the call or visit, they toy with them for a little while and troll them, until they get to a point where they say that they're wrong.

And do you know how you can REALLY tell that it's a scammer?

• They insist that you need the product or whatever they're trying to sell
  • They always ask for your personal info
  • Once you know and tell them that they're wrong, they'll curse you out to try to justify themselves.

The funny thing is that they don't want to admit they're wrong. But really, they curse you out, or be extremely hateful and say mean things to you.

Sometimes, when you talking to a scammer face to face, they might want to physically abuse you to still justify themselves.

Really, they're the ones who are wrong. They are the ones that are stealing and they need to be locked up behind bars.

Lately, I've been receiving text messages saying that I won a sum of money, but that's not true, because I know for a fact, that I had not submitted any personal info to a drawing. This is most likely an attempt at identity theft. 

I have also recieved those annoying calls, but reject them all the time. Maybe someday I might toy with a phone scammer and then catch him. 

So, have any of you caught a scammer or have been scammed before?

• Brohoof 1

once but it was along time ago, i went into a game shop with my dad to buy a game that i really liked. well we payed for it then when we made the long trip home i happened to open it up to find that the game chase was empty. so yea i have been shammed by a store owner.

Heh, I just got an email recently telling me that I had won 1,000,000 euros.

Funny thing, I live in the US.

But other than that I love to mess with these type of people especially on the phone.  I just put on a nice, heavy, completely incomprehensible accent and start asking them the same questions they ask me.

"Alright then! All we need is your credit card number sir to confirm with your travel agency"

Me: "Ok, so what is your credit card number sir?"

"My num... No no no sir, it's YOUR credit card"

Me: "Yes, YOUR credit card number"

"No not my credit card, do you have an insurance card then?"

Me: "Yes, I use it to slit the throats of my enemies.  Why?"

"Um, goodbye!"

• Brohoof 4

It's so much fun to mess with those people.  I once popped a balloon and screamed so it sounded like I got shot, I then dropped the phone.  They are extremely annoying though.

• Brohoof 2

HAHAHAHA! My grandpa caught a scammer once who claimed that he was me. He claimed that he - or should I say I had just gotten out of a short stay in jail, and that I needed money to help get myself out of the rut that I (or "he") created.The conversation went something like this:*Phone rings* Grandpa: "Hello?"(Caller, in a frantic voice.) "Grandpa! I'm in a bit of trouble and I need some money...(rest of the imaginative tale follows)."My grandpa simply asked: "How old are you?"He replied: "Oh grandpa, you know how old I am."Again, my grandpa asked: "Son, how old are you?"He promptly hung up.*Chuckles to himself* I called my grandpa the next day and started the conversation by saying "Grandpa! I'm in a bit of trouble and I need some money..." He thought it was pretty funny.But I feel sorry for that poor caller, because even if my grandpa believed his story, the hard, weathered cowboy in him would have simply responded with something like: "Boy, you're a man now. You can get yourself out of your own problems."I love my grandpa. :P

Edited by CloudFyre

I've been getting several text messages with links to websites saying things like "Y0u've won 1st place in 0ur drawing! Visit this site t0 claim your prize!" *insert obviously fake website link here*

I usually reply back with something like "Help, I tried to click the link and nothing happened! I really want my prize!"

They never reply back  :(

Edited by Velvet Remedyiscael
  • Brohoof 1

I remember there would always be those ads on websites where it says "You are our 1000th visitor! You win a free iPad!"

I wonder if people actually fall for those scams? >.>

When I was little, I nearly fell for it. You know those little games that say "Shoot the bunny and win a free (fill in the blank). Yeah, they're fake, and you end up having to pay a price and you may get your personal information stolen, especially if they ask for your social security code. 

I've always viewed most people as pure evil who are willing to do anything to harm others so I've never fell for any scam because I already suspect that it's a scam whenever they offer anything.

I love messing with telemarketers and scammers

I believe in social darwinism when it comes to members of the same bloodline so the whole long lost cousin trick or maybe grandchildren later on in life won't work.

Edited by khaine21x3

• 2 weeks later...

I never got scammed  but  there was an attempt.  One night out of nowhere I got a text that says my wells fargo debit card got hacked  so they locked my card, they wanted me to send my info  in order to unlock it.  Well, first things first,  i am not a member of wells fargo bank. 

We get phone calls all the time from scammers, usually I just answer with eather "Go fuck yourself" or "Is there a window nearby? *wait for the yes* good, go jump out of it"

I decided to have some fun with one a few months back, he called up claiming to be from Microsoft telling me there was a problem with my computer, so I played along acting all worried asking what was wrong, he told me that my motherboard had a virus that it got through the internet and it was corrupting my processor, so i told him that it was impossible and he started blurting out random computing terms which went even in the correct context, I stopped him mid sentence and told him it was obvious he had no idea what he was talking about, that I had 3 qualifications in IT and working towards my 4th and that he should findvanother job rather than attempting to scam people. He promptly hung up :P

I have been scammed before though, not sure how, but someone got hold of my PayPal account info, they stole about $300 from my account, which was especially bad as I live in the UK, so when I got it refunded, the exchange rate difference meant that I lost out on £20 which I couldn't get back.

The only solution: send the scammer a P-P-POWERBOOK!

haha, but seriously, people never get me long enough on the phone to scam me. I give telemarketers the count of 1 to respond with a hello. If it's someone I know, they don't need to take longer than 1.7 seconds to say hello. So if you are calling for a genuine purpose, you better speak quick!

Also, there's been a rash of door to door water-heater scammers in our area. I shut the door in one man's face who claimed to be a serviceman. Seriously, don't let these people put a single toe into your home! If they do, slam the door on it! Sorry, that was vicious and not tolerating the crap out of them, but they really make me mad for having the nerve to do this in person.

Also, pro tip: those "win an ipod" banner games? They're fake. Who would have guessed those quality games requiring the utmost dexterity were actually scams? Also it appears that every visitor is the millionth visitor to any given website.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

Scammers... they play a tricky game and I tend to have fun with them. Like for example, on Runescape, I noticed that an untrustworthy source wanted my account info. So what I would do is I made an account, hacked it, gave it to the scammers, scammers logged into it, and there IP address/Computer got banned from the site XD. Though you must be careful, if you screw up the game, you will be the one screwed over.

Funny thing actually, I just got a call from a "supposed" Boost Mobile representative telling me I owed them money. It was actually one sad attempt at trying to phish a SSN number from me. Cuz' one you get start questioning the scammers, they'll hang up on you in a heartbeat.

I have indeed been scammed before. Though I was quite young when it happened, so at least I have a bit of an excuse. It was one of those: "Your computer needs a security check! Download TrojanHacksMc1337.exe today!" Needless to say, my computer got infected with loads of viruses. Although, it was a really old, crappy computer, so no one really cared. 

One time, I thought I had gotten a virus, when in actuality I had just accidentally pressed "ctrl+alt+down" (Try that, by the way. It's one of Windows' most pointless features. To fix it, just do "ctrl+alt+up".)

Edited by HylianTwilian

I think the best one I ever had was a guy calling from Apple to say my computer had a virus (I was running Windows XP at the time.). I played along. First thing was to open my web browser (I claimed it was Safari :) ), and when "nothing came up," he told me to try to "open the window." I got out of my chair, and pushed on the window, and told him "nothing's happening." I opened it, then said "Oh, its open now," and he replies "What do you see?"

"I see a house, a bird, a car accident."

And then he hung up.

I like to have fun with scammers. I hate scammers with a passion. Telemarketers are annoying, but I'm generally polite to them, I mean, its how they put food on the table, they're told by someone higher up to call.