62 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Pinkypie is not dumb!

I'm not enjoying how they are characterizing with Pinkypie in season 3, she was always outrageous, funny, zany, easily distracted. But as the season goes along Pinkypie is treated like a simple minded low intelligence creature. The writers should discern the difference from being wild and hyper than from just being dumb. Especially in this episode where she keeps opening a letter box for example, and you say, well that is how she is, a bit zany. I say nay, she's smarter than that, her unusual way of coping or finding solutions is her strenght not her weakness. And that is the point. When she is just annoying that is all she is but if she is comic relief from her unusualy way of seeing the world then that becomes her charm and makes ponyville a better place.

I have to say that this is probably one of my favorite episodes. it had probably one of the closest references to an air force. And it really had a Top Gun vibe to it. overall i would give it a 9/10 not as good as a finely or a season starter,but still a great episode. I really was hoping that they were going to bring back Derpy when Pinkie was freaking over the mailpony. But they did not.   :(

Edited by irobern2857

Here is my review of the episode.

The episode was good. I have to say. I don't want to go too deep, cause my last review was about a page long. So, in this episode, I felt Pinkies relationship with Rainbow Dash is getting more powerful. The characters are connecting more. Anyways, she was hysterical. I felt this is one of the factors that made the episode so awesome. One of the things I sort of didn't like was how mean Spitfire was in the beginning. Alright, maybe not Gilda mean, but, had this bitchy attitude. I mean, people look up to her. I mean, Rainbow Dash was at least happy and proud to be a Wonder bolt in the end. I feel like Spitfire's meanness was just not necessary. Rainbow Dash has seemed to be less, of a bitch. She actually was nice, for a change. I appreciate her more now (well, she is my favorite pony, so, that means I love her more). Lets move on to the rest of the episode. I thought it was absolutely hilarious when the balloon in the opening scene rose up. I mean, seriously, I think the animators did this on purpose. I think the ending ended well. So, I give this episode a 9.5/10. I mean, it was a great episode. Actually, it was THE BEST EPISODE EVAR!!!!! Nothing can be perfect about an episode, right?

Lol the brown police man with the black moustash looks like

Moses Hightower from police academy

Is it a coinsadince that a pony at the wonder bolt academy looks like a person from police academy

I think not

It's time to get my nitpick on.

"That's an academy record!"

Stop Saying That

"My friends could have been smashed to pieces!"

"You unleashed a tornado that nearly demolished my friends!"

"That 'effective tactic' nearly took out my friends!"

Yes, it's a kid's show but without the k-word these lines lose impact. You're friends were not nearly "smashed to pieces" or "demolished" or "took out" they were nearly killed.

"hoof bump"

That's what they call it? Lame.

Lastly, that cloud slide RD made at the beginning, I was expecting her to craft something impressive and just making a slide came across, again, as lame.

Alright, that's enough nitpicking for now.

Edited by ByTheTides
  • Brohoof 2

This is definetely one of the best, if not THE BEST episode of FiM to grace the Earth.

Dashie showed us (once again) that she is the element of LOYALTY.

She never let down her friends in that life-threatening situation.

She DESERVES to be a Wonderbolt because of the sh*t she's gone through (saving Rarity (twice), Spike, the Wonderbolts, saving Soarin's pie and the rest of the Mane 6).

I give this episode "best Season 3 episode as of far".

I'll probably rewatch it before giving it the title of best ep ever, ofc.

Edited by StefanSreto (Chetnik)
  • Brohoof 3

"hoof bump"

That's what they call it? Lame.

It was called a "hoof bump" as far back as the second season's "A Friend in Deed", during Pinkie's "Smile" song, so it's a little late to be complaining about that sort of thing now. It makes sense, since that gesture is called a "fist bump" by most people, and "hoof" is an obvious substitute. Were you expecting "bro hoof" instead? Would it have been any better? It's only the brony community that uses the term "bro hoof". For most other issues, though, I must admit that I agree with you.

This was not a great episode, in my opinion. Pinkie was off-colour, (she's random, not stupid) and Spitfire was too strict. I think a new character should have been used. Spitfire being "nasty drill sergeant" just doesn't gel with her usual character, which created a huge dissonance for me. Furthermore, Lighting Dust didn't really have any redeeming features, making her seem very flat and unrealistic (even in a cartoon, characters need to have depth in order to be interesting) and the entire episode still failed to address the ramifications of RD's desire to join the Wonderbolts and how it affects her friends. In other words, it resolved nothing. 

Sorry to those who love RD episodes, but I feel this was the weakest of Season 3's offerings. I only hope that Lightining Dust comes back for revenge. Unlikely, since they already used that plot for "Magic Duel".

Edited by Full Spectrum

Really enjoyed this episode, can't say it's my favorite episode yet because not all of them have come out but this episode will definitely be in my top 3 ^.^ Hard to believe I resisted long enough for the stream instead of watching the it leaked and reading spoilers.

I really liked Rainbow Dash's attitude in this episode, it's really showing her 'loyal' side and not the bad side everyone hates her for. In my opinion, I didn't like Spitfire's voice as much as the one in "Best Night Ever". They already voiced her once in the series and then they suddenly change it, not really a big deal but I still thought it was a decent voice. Most people probably don't understand why Spitfire was strict, but I think it's called discipline xP The academy sort of resembles a boot camp, so obviously there will be a lot of discipline. You wouldn't expect a pat on the back for doing what you're told would you?

I was glad to see old background ponies like Roid Rage and Cloud Chaser! Funny moments were had during their screen time, even though it wasn't much. I also thought Lightning Dust was a cool character, she sort of like the less-loyal, ruder, more competitive version of Rainbow Dash, plus she leaves a fast trail pattern when she flies like when Rainbow Dash flies.

Overall I thought this was a well-done episode, I don't think it will make anyone disappointed. Can't wait till' episode 8!

Edited by Rainbow Dash Loyalty
  • Brohoof 2

I really liked Rainbow Dash's attitude in this episode, it's really showing her 'loyal' side and not the bad side everyone hates her for.

I personally love Rainbow Dash for her bad side. Her wide array of flaws is what makes her such a fun character!

• Brohoof 2

I find it shocking how they already wrapped up Rainbow Dash's dream to be one of the Wonderbolts so early in the fandom. I hope this isn't hinting that there will only be one more season, because that will be a cruel joke on Hasbro's part.

They didn't officially make her a Wonderbolt, she was just promoted the Lead Pony for the remainder of the academy course. Whether you become a Wonderbolt upon finishing the academy, or whether there are more steps wasn't mentioned. And I wouldn't worry so much about the end yet, the show is one of the top Hub shows, and it's making Hasbro plenty of money. ^_^

This is where I come to the point that I didn't like about this episode: why did she have to get kicked out by Spitfire? Granted, she made a mistake, but so did Rainbow Dash in a few episodes, yet the episode acted like Dust was worse than Trixie. I mean Dust wasn't a stuck-up egomaniac Snitch; she had every good quality that RB had, and I can't think of one part of the episode where she was ever mean to RB or to anyone. She was just overly competitive; how is that implied worse than enslaving an entire town? It's a terrible reason to end the show like it did, without any form of forgiveness or even a hug. What kind of message is this supposed to imply?

She got kicked out because she nearly sent five ponies plummeting to their deaths! It doesn't matter how good you are, if you are willing to go that far to accomplish your goals, you need to be kicked out. And that is exactly why Rainbow Dash was going to quit, she didn't want to be part of an organization where someone could get away with harming others to achieve their own goals.

I really was hoping that they were going to bring back Derpy when Pinkie was freaking over the mailpony. But they did not.   :(

Derpy was never actually a mailpony. She did, however, work for a moving company in Feeling Pinkie Keen. I'm not sure, but I think they used the same mailpony that was already seen in The Last Roundup.

I vastly prefer the name Snowflake to Roid Rage. The latter is obvious to the point it's annoying but the former works because it's ironic.

Well, you keep using Snowflake, and I'll keep using Roid Rage unless we get a canon name. :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Another thing I want to add is that I ALMOST started liking Lightning Dust until she started showing that she had no care for Rainbow Dash's friends.

That was pretty much when I said things I should not say here

She's a meanie :/

• Brohoof 3

Another thing I want to add is that I ALMOST started liking Lightning Dust until she started showing that she had no care for Rainbow Dash's friends.

That was pretty much when I said things I should not say here

She's a meanie :/

lol i agree at first she was cool but then she as u put it started to be a meanie XD she kinda reminds me of gilda

Reading the opinions of others, repeated viewings, and further reflection have lead me to hold this episode in higher esteem than I did initially. That said, while intellectually a good case has been made that this episode deserves to be considered on the same level as episodes such as Read It and Weep and Hurricane Fluttershy emotionally I'm not feeling it. Despite all my nitpicking, this episode doesn't have much in the way of flaws so far as I've yet been able to tell. Spitfire's presentation was fine, jarring at first yes but easily explainable. Pinkie Pie's presentation is more iffy though I find this to be a compelling position of the matter:

Is she smart enough to wait? Sure! DOES she want to wait? HELL NO! Pinkie lacks patience for TONS of different things! OF COURSE she wants to get the letter as inmediately as possible! And why does she worry so much? Well...this is Pinkie Pie. The one pony who cares about her friends more than anyone. And as a plus, she's not totally used to her close friends leaving for long. And as someone else said, Pinkie had a sad, lonely past back in the rock farm. Of course she's worried she might lose her friends in the same way she did in "Party of One". That paranoia that takes over Pinkie over her friends sometimes is part of her character, in my opinion.

So what's holding back my enjoyment such that I don't consider it a top-tier episode? I've yet to figure that out.

Edited by ByTheTides
  • Brohoof 1

Well, this episode started off bad and got worse. All that boot camp crap is just evil, and the whole philosophy behind  it is one of the most negative aspects of American culture. The disgusting bullying culture is counter to all lessons the ponies are supposed to teach us. All this "Yes Ma'am!" shit is so militaristic, and authoritarian. It is the opposite of everything I watch MLP for.

Pinkie Pie is a pain in the arse in this episode, with her hyper moronic aspect in full flow.

Rainbow at least shows some redeeming features, in not liking to beat up on the other ponies to get ahead.

Spitfire's response to her walking out is the moralistic bollocks, but the end where Rainbow gets the other ponies to salute her, it all just feels so wrong for a pony episode.

I won't be watching this one again.

Well, this episode was awesome. The only thing I could say that I didn't like about it is how they didn't put any Top Gun reference in it. That would have been epic.

Now that Rainbow Dash has started her training, I'm guessing we wont see her in the next one or two episodes. Also, she said she'd be gone for a week. Is that all the training it takes to become a WonderBolt? One week? Or maybe it was like the beginning phase and then the top fliers will be selected and start the next level of training.

Another thing I didn't get was Spitfire's new voice. It just didn't fit. 

And one final thing, this is just another one of those 'X goes to Y camp' episodes. Almost every cartoon show has this.

P.S: YEAAAAAAAAUGH

Edited by The Awesome One
  • Brohoof 1

alright... this episode was good, not the best this season, but good... I thought Lightning Dust and Rainbow Dash made an awesome team, all their stunts were great to watch, Spitfire was good she may only talk to new recruits that way, maybe once they officially join the Wonderbolts she'll lighten up to them, and I don't believe Lightning Dust was kicked out of Wonderbolt academy, they only took away her role as a lead pony and probably demoted her to wing pony so she could learn a lesson, possibly from RD... Well anyways good episode 8/10  Although I am really disappointed that Derpy wasn't the Mail Mare... I mean come on it would have been PERFECT!!!!

I really hated Pinkie's behaviour in this episode. She turned from an ever-happy pony into an hysteric depressed pony. She overreacts to everything, is all over the place ALL the time and goes depressed VERY easily. Other than that it was a great episode.

Eh, I just really didn't like this episode.  I'm not a big RD fan as it is and the last episode was already RD heavy.  Like someone else said, it's a "someone goes to camp" episode.  Seems like every show has one, I'd like to see a little more originality.  I do agree that some of Dash's better qualities came out, but in the past she's been just like Lighting Dust many times.

I was ok with the way the Academy was set up though, but I don't think it's "one week at the Academy = instant Wonderbolt", I think it's really more like summer camp for ponies interested in being a Wonderbolt.  It's a good way to see if you would stand a chance or not... and if you really want to.

Not much to say here, but I loved the episode, Rainbow Dash, ect...

But anyone else found Spitfire's actions... peculiar?

We all know we first met her, in Sonic Rainboom, when Rainbow dash saved her life, and won the 'Best Flyer's Competition'. And she definitely showed that she was great full afterwards by tapping her shoulder, and asking to hang with her.

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Soarin%27/Gallery?file=Spitfire_thanks_Dash_on_behalf_of_Wonderbolts_S1E16.png

And again, in the 'Best Night Ever' episode, she asks Rainbow Dash to hang with them again, all in respect.

And in 'Hurricane Fluttershy', she seems to show the same for her as previous episodes.

And in this one, she acts like she just met Rainbow Dash. And the way she underestimated Rainbow Dash after all she's witnessed... is just weird. Anyone else think so?

Spitfire fully remembers Rainbow Dash, her accomplishments, and what she's capable of.  But in boot camp, she has to treat everybody as equals.  She also didn't want RD to think she could just rest on her laurels and get in with a halfhearted effort. 

• Brohoof 5

I watched it, it was okay, but I feel like there could have been a better plot. I'm not saying it was bad, but I've watched better episodes.