NavelColt

62 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

So far? This was my favorite episode of S3. I really hope they try to characterize Rainbow Dash as more and more of a leader type from now on, the only thing that bothered me way this,... Lightning Dust when strapped into the Dizzatron says "Maximum Dizziness!" Is that  possible? Are there varying degrees of dizzy? I thought there existed just "Dizzy" and "not dizzy" 

So far? This was my favorite episode of S3. I really hope they try to characterize Rainbow Dash as more and more of a leader type from now on, the only thing that bothered me way this,... Lightning Dust when strapped into the Dizzatron says "Maximum Dizziness!" Is that  possible? Are there varying degrees of dizzy? I thought there existed just "Dizzy" and "not dizzy" 

I would say there are varying degrees of dizziness. If you stand up too quickly and get a head rush, that's slightly dizzy. If you spin around a half dozen times, you're going to be less dizzy than if you spin around 20 times. The higher you set the machine, the dizzier you get. 

I would say there are varying degrees of dizziness. If you stand up too quickly and get a head rush, that's slightly dizzy. If you spin around a half dozen times, you're going to be less dizzy than if you spin around 20 times. The higher you set the machine, the dizzier you get. 

Hmm ok fair enough, so is Lightning Dust a stronger flyer than dash?

Heck no. Dust lost control of the tornado first, recovered more slowly and can't pull off a Sonic Rainboom. Not that I'm biased though.

Until Lightning Dust shows the ability to do a sonic rainboom, I'm going to have to say no. I think Dash has a slight edge in terms of pure speed, (which would account for her SR) but Dust is probably just a little bit more maneuverable. Another thing to consider is that Dash had the Dizzatron at the first level. Dust had it on the highest setting, and took only half a second longer. That tells me she has a better sense of balance, which makes the maneuverability thing a bit more likely. Finally, when they lost control of the tornado, Dust was thrown out first, so she is probably not a strong as Dash.

My verdict - Dash is (slightly) stronger and faster, while Dust is more agile in the air.

Darn, ninja'd. Dashy herself would be proud of that speed, DashForever. Although you forgot to account for Dust having Dizzatron at max. She recovered more slowly, but only just.

Edited by Full Spectrum

Heck no. Dust lost control of the tornado first, recovered more slowly and can't pull off a Sonic Rainboom. Not that I'm biased though.

I gotta be honest though, I was really really hopeful for Lightning Dust when we first saw her, I wish she had been a more likable character because I really wanted to like her.

I gotta be honest though, I was really really hopeful for Lightning Dust when we first saw her, I wish she had been a more likable character because I really wanted to like her.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I liked her too. I wanted Rainbow to beat her at everything of course, but I still liked her :). I have a feeling that they aren't done with her character though so you may get your wish. I wouldn't be unduly surprised if she came back in season 4.

Darn, ninja'd. Dashy herself would be proud of that speed, DashForever. Although you forgot to account for Dust having Dizzatron at max. She recovered more slowly, but only just.

Ha ha, thanks for the compliment. And I didn't forget anything. When I was talking about Rainbow recovering more quickly I was referring to her recovering from spinning out in the tornado. She was able to reorient herself quick enough to save her friends where Dust was nowhere to be seen until later. I take this as evidence that over the course of the week Dash surpassed Dust at recovering from spinouts. Of course as I said before I'm totally biased so it's fine if you disagree with this :).

Edited by DashForever

Yeah, I know how you feel. I liked her too. I wanted Rainbow to beat her at everything of course, but I still liked her :). I have a feeling that they aren't done with her character though so you may get your wish. I wouldn't be unduly surprised if she came back in season 4.

Eh if we are lucky! Hopefully she will have learned her lesson by then. Also, because Rainbow Dash was back in "Spike at your service" doesn't that mean she graduated the academy? where is our information on that!? I demand answers!

/table flip

Eh if we are lucky! Hopefully she will have learned her lesson by then. Also, because Rainbow Dash was back in "Spike at your service" doesn't that mean she graduated the academy? where is our information on that!? I demand answers!

/table flip

There was an alternate ending that featured both Dust staying in the academy and Dash being named top student, and saying that even if she isn't part of the Wonderbolts yet they've got their eye on her. I'm accepting the second part of that as canon. The ending did seem rather open ended.
  • Brohoof 1

Is it just me, or does Spitfire' s voice change from her previous appearances in the show?

No, I seem to recall that they used a different voice actress for Spitfire in this episode. If they were going to do that, though, they should have just had a new character in her role. I really don't know why they used her. I know she's the most well-known of the Wonderbolts, but does she just do everything that needs doing in that organization? She's a performer, was a judge for the Best Young Flier competition, was in charge of the water lifting, apparently runs the Academy... when does the poor girl get a chance to rest?

No, I seem to recall that they used a different voice actress for Spitfire in this episode. If they were going to do that, though, they should have just had a new character in her role. I really don't know why they used her. I know she's the most well-known of the Wonderbolts, but does she just do everything that needs doing in that organization? She's a performer, was a judge for the Best Young Flier competition, was in charge of the water lifting, apparently runs the Academy... when does the poor girl get a chance to rest?

Well she's the captain of the Wonderbolts.

Also it seemed like she had a different voice, but it apparently is the same VA in the episode as the Gala. Someone different voiced her in the tornado competition.

Edited by Toastypk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As previously state, this episode didn't particularly hit home for me. I suppose I always assumed RD had this more serious, mature side to her so I didn't take it as anything special when I was shown it. 

Edited by ByTheTides

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i personally hate the ending to this episode. lightning dust was kicked out for stupid reason. 

trying to be the best should not be a crime. all the other ponies were not good enough and it their fault. i am hoping we see her in episodes in the future. 

If i had to rate this episode it had to be tied with sleepless in ponyville and wonderbolts academy i really liked the good morals it did in this episode because buck that moral can be used a lot, Rainbow Dash also was surprising how well she took care of the situation going on in this episode ,but i only wish they showed more of Snowflake as well.

Just watched this episode, it was great! But I hope Rainbow Dash and Lightning dust still remain friends, they made an awesome team smile.png

I don't really think that Rainbow Dash and Lightning dust will remain friends because after what Rainbow Dash thought about Lightning dust doesn't really seem like they will be friends ,but you are right that they do make a awesome team though

i personally hate the ending to this episode. lightning dust was kicked out for stupid reason. 

trying to be the best should not be a crime. all the other ponies were not good enough and it their fault. i am hoping we see her in episodes in the future. 

Ok Ok let me get this straight after all of that you still think that this was horrible? trying to be the best isn't a crime but Lightning dust was being a real jerk to all the other pegasus in the academy and at the end you can hear Spitfire saying being a Wonderbolt isn't about being the first or trying to be cool it's about working together to perform the act itself.

• Brohoof 1

While this was one of my favorite episodes of the season, I must admit that I believe the main reason I liked it so much was that it, in it's near entirety,  parallels Top Gun. I didn't really realize it until about 5 minutes after first watching it, but it somehow made the whole episode worth it to me. If they had found a different way of doing this episode, I really don't think I would have liked it all that much.

not my favorite episode they could have had a better ending.sad.png  lightning dust could have a new episode with her and what happened after she got kicked out.i hope she will come back in all seriousness i really liked her.even though ponies almost died......because of her.

lightning dust had the potential to be an even better flyer than rainbow dash

but on the other hand we have not seen her do a sonic rainboom yet ether. 

we will just have to wait and seederpy_emoticon1.png

Edited by pokethepony

just stopped by for three things:

1. Lightning Dust is one of the best written characters to appear on the show.

2. This is hands-down the best RD episode.

3. I ship RD/Pinkie solely because of this episode.

• Brohoof 3

This episode of rainbow was kinda disappointing. I felt like lighting dust ruined the whole episode. She is not my favorite pony. She is simply more stuck up then rarity.