Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Christian bronies: meet, greet, and mingle!

Zach TheDane

Has anyone here seen the new Hillsong movie?

It looks so good!

I have just heart of Hillsong here, so I haven't watched the movie. I looked around on the Internet about the Hillsong band, and my first impression is that they look very passionate about what they do :)

• Brohoof 1

I'm one! ^^/

I do also like being a logician, so it's a bit fun to poke at inconsistencies or problems of other peoples' beliefs.

For the most part, though, I'm kind of indifferent of what other people believe, as long as they don't belittle me for my beliefs. ^^/

Edited by Ruudo Burei
  • Brohoof 3

Funny enough I really don't go out and just talk about christanity to random people. It this modern age where if you even say you're Christian or -insert other faith here- you'll get weird looks.   I feel i'm failing on so many accounts these days...

Could use a freind though.

• Brohoof 1

Funny enough I really don't go out and just talk about christanity to random people. It this modern age where if you even say you're Christian or -insert other faith here- you'll get weird looks. I feel i'm failing on so many accounts these days...

Could use a freind though.

If people are judging you or not treating you respectfully because of your faith, then that's very narrow-minded of them. However, as a fellow Christian, I can definitely relate with you about those uneasy feelings. Edited by Lady Kiriness
  • Brohoof 1

If people are judging you or not treating you respectfully because of your faith, then that's very narrow-minded of them. However, as a fellow Christian, I can definitely relate with you about those uneasy feelings.

what i have an issue with is with convercial topics and beliefs which really make me come off as insentive( mostly same gender romance stuffs) I'm not very good at disucussing such thing but having a group here at least gives me hope.

what i have an issue with is with convercial topics and beliefs which really make me come off as insentive( mostly same gender romance stuffs) I'm not very good at disucussing such thing but having a group here at least gives me hope.

Yeah, I don't approve any of the LGBT ships* in the MLP community, but I try my best to just keep that to myself and ignore the pictures. As Christians, we should defend our beliefs, but that doesn't mean we are to go out and start unnecessary controversy. 

*I don't approve of Fluttercord, in case anyone was wondering. I have this sig, because Fluttershy is my favorite pony, Discord is my favorite (Ex-)Villain, and one of my favorite episodes is "Keep Calm and Flutter On."

Edited by ChB
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, I don't approve any of the LGBT ships* in the MLP community, but I try my best to just keep that to myself and ignore the pictures. As Christians, we should defend our beliefs, but that doesn't mean we are to go out and start unnecessary controversy.

*I don't approve of Fluttercord, in case anyone was wondering. I have this sig, because Fluttershy is my favorite pony, Discord is my favorite (Ex-)Villain, and one of my favorite episodes is "Keep Calm and Flutter On."

That's how I feel about a lot of things this fandom or other people do that don't particularly affect me. You do you in my mind. Do I find a lot of it bizzare? Yes but move on.

I think coming off as insensitive is fine as long as it's not intentional and then you get to understand why it's insensitive and correct yourself willfully. To be honest a lot of what the lgbt community faces is just a lot of ignorance that can easily be aided.

That's why Id rather you ask a question with the intent to learn and understand that happens to be insensitive than harbor ignorance that hampers your relations with someone who is lgbt.

Edited by alpinefroggy
  • Brohoof 1

I'm more "eh" about it.

If certain people want to be LGBT or whatever, it's not my problem. That's between them and God. :P

Totally not my problem. XD

LGBT ships in MLP are...also pretty "eh". Cartoon characters, remember? So, I kind of also am really indifferent about it.

Besides, all the ships I care about are the ones I like! :D

...They tend to be with OCs, though, because I feel that there aren't enough males that I like in the series...

Yeah then they bring up that "oh but don't we deserve to feel loved and have arealtionship.." I just..yeah no idea how to repsond to that

Keep in mind that it is the view of some christians on this thread and many Christians abroad is the way jesus preached to love thy neighbor. Lgbt people in this view are absolutely deserving of love. Their relationships and doings aside (a topic for another day). Approaching them in anything but love I think to be to be the wrong thing you should do.

Regardless of how you feel about lgbt people. They are human beings. They did not choose to be born lgbt. They are just people like you and like everyone on these forums. Why should they not be deserving of anything but love?

I'm more "eh" about it.

If certain people want to be LGBT or whatever, it's not my problem. That's between them and God. :P

Totally not my problem. XD

The word want is not a good word to use. It implies some form of choice and a general desire to be lgbt. For the former, it is current prevailing scientific opinion that it is not a choice. And for the latter, I interact on a daily basis with the lgbt community. I'm a member myself as well and the vast majority of anecdotes I hear about demonstrates that being lgbt is not desirable. Being in a discriminated minority sucks anyway you pull it isn't fun. And especially for transgender folks who face quite a bit more hate and have severe mental distress from being the gender they do not indentify as.

Edited by alpinefroggy
  • Brohoof 1

The word want is not a good word to use. It implies some form of choice and a general desire to be lgbt. For the former, it is current prevailing scientific opinion that it is not a choice. And for the latter, I interact on a daily basis with the lgbt community. I'm a member myself as well and the vast majority of anecdotes I hear about demonstrates that being lgbt is not desirable. Being in a discriminated minority sucks anyway you pull it isn't fun. And especially for transgender folks who face quite a bit more hate and have severe mental distress from being the gender they do not indentify as.

Before anything else: Disclaimer/Warning: If you give out your opinion against mine, be prepared to have to read a (probably long) retort.

Buddy, when you've worked in a jail and see arrestees come in as heterosexual and leave homosexual or bisexual, then it's obviously a matter of choice-- a choice to be lonely with no pleasures of the flesh or a choice to have fun while being incarcerated for a few months.

When you see several people outright saying that they are "switching sides", then it's obviously a choice-- a choice to be heterosexual or a choice to be homosexual.

If it's someone who has the mentality of being attracted to the same sex or believing that they are the opposite sex on the inside, then whatever. They could be people who did not or cannot make a choice on their sexual preference(...although, technically, we can still call it a choice, because they chose to act upon how they feel).

Also, some people have been proclaiming that everyone is naturally bisexual or pansexual, but our conditioning from society forces us to choose to be heterosexual, homosexual, etc.

In addition, one of my good friends is transexual; another is planning to have the sexchange operation after she turns 20; and a few others are gay. Heck, one of my uncles is gay. I don't have a problem with them or whatever, because it's not my problem. They can choose to remain that way or choose to be heterosexual. It's up to them, not up to me.

I don't understand what several peoples' problem is, but it's as if you and a large part of the LGBT community think that you're a special case or exalted or something. From the looks of it, you also probably look down on people who do make being non-heterosexual a choice or try to explain away that a choice isn't really a choice, despite the obvious.

Also, best not subtly imply that people who have views, opinions, or experiences that don't match up with your views of the LGBT are "haters". It's just bad debating, you know? ;3

Besides, prevailing scientific opinion at one point believed that bloodletting and leeches are the best ways to get rid of diseases. Prevailing scientific opinion at one point also believed that rotten meat gave birth to maggots. Prevailing scientific opinion at one point believed that the Earth was flat. Prevailing scientific opinion at one point believed that gravity was a phenomenon that forced elements to try to return to its bigger cluster of elements.

Just for funzies: if twenty of 25 people say that 1 + 1 is 9, does that make the five wrong for saying that 1 + 1 is 2? The answer is no, the five who said that 1 + 1 is 2 are correct, despite being in the minority.

Just keep this in mind: being in the majority or consensus doesn't make you right-- it just makes you the majority. ^^/

To reiterate, I am indifferent of the LGBT. They can do their own thing. I'm not going to care, because it's not my problem. I do not hate the LGBT for being LGBT. I do get annoyed of people who happen to be in the LGBT if they repeatedly paint themselves as victims or better than heterosexuals.

This is why I like the LGBT people of my country of heritage. The people who happen to be homosexual, bisexual, or transexual there don't demand acceptance or special treatment. They are treated like everyone else. Here in America, the biggest exposure of the LGBT community usually is of them demanding special treatment and a desire to be "more equal than others". Heck, I lost a good (American) friend who is gay, because he was pressured by his other LGBT friends to do so, just because we were having a discussion about sexuality. So, what? It's taboo to give your own opinion of sexuality to a person who is LGBT now?

--EDIT (added the following part)--

Keep in mind that it is the view of some christians on this thread and many Christians abroad is the way jesus preached to love thy neighbor. Lgbt people in this view are absolutely deserving of love. Their relationships and doings aside (a topic for another day). Approaching them in anything but love I think to be to be the wrong thing you should do.

Regardless of how you feel about lgbt people. They are human beings. They did not choose to be born lgbt. They are just people like you and like everyone on these forums. Why should they not be deserving of anything but love?

It seems a bit random for you to mention this, because it's as if you're immediately offended or something and are just breathing it in.

BlinkZ just doesn't know how to respond; BlinkZ isn't saying that they shouldn't be loved or have a relationship or whatever.

Also, please complete the line. It's "thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself" or, in other words, "treat others the way you want to be treated." I am who I am, and there's nothing to it...so, my minimal requirement is indifference. However, technically, in the context of the entire chapter, it could mean to practice justice with everyone else.

Anyway, according to you, we HAVE to love the LGBT, at a minimum. I guess a minimum feeling of indifference towards everyone isn't an option. Go figure.

Unrelated: I think the Quote mechanic in this forum miiiiiiight be broken. ^^;

Edited by Ruudo Burei

Hi Everypony. Mind if I post a verse, once a week? I think it will help me keep up my quiet times. And I hope they will be edifying to us all. 

Matthew 6:25-34 (ESV)

"25 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?27 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?[g] 28 And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29 yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

• Brohoof 1

Unrelated: I think the Quote mechanic in this forum miiiiiiight be broken. ^^;

Ok I don't agree with some of it and I agree with other parts of it but this isn't a debate thread. I'm not looking to get into a debate about this.

But on that unrelated note the quote button is inefficient. Trying to get the retort quoted and narrowed down was a job for a word processor not on the forums.

• Brohoof 1

I'm one! ^^/ I do also like being a logician

Firstly, hello - I'm a mathematician myself, so logic is very much my thing. 

I admit that it's not the most welcoming way to greet somebody, but I do take issue with a statement you made:

Besides, prevailing scientific opinion at one point believed that bloodletting and leeches are the best ways to get rid of diseases. Prevailing scientific opinion at one point also believed that rotten meat gave birth to maggots. Prevailing scientific opinion at one point believed that the Earth was flat. Prevailing scientific opinion at one point believed that gravity was a phenomenon that forced elements to try to return to its bigger cluster of elements.

I do have a response below, but if you wish to discuss the matter further then I would recommend doing so in a private message with me rather than here, as a lengthy debate about scientific consensus does stray somewhat from the purpose of this thread. If not though, take or disregard my remarks as you will - and once again, welcome.

I rather doubt that the methodology behind bloodletting and leeches was scientifically tested - the formalised scientific method did not appear until quite some time later, so it's not really a particularly good example. However, I will defend a certain logic behind a 'flat earth' theory in that the earth is roughly flat locally - that is to say, when a person stood on a hill and looked around, the world around them looked flat. As that is all they could observe, theorising that the world was a flat plain that stretched on forever was reasonable. Of course, when it was mathematically demonstrated that the surface of the world was curved, the idea that it was round moved to become the accepted theory (I think that technically it took until the entire world had been mapped to really 'prove' that it wasn't some weird half-sphere or anything unusual like that, depending on how strong a proof one required, but it was the prevailing scientific opinion quite some time before then.)

The point I'm getting at is that scientific consensus is built on the evidence we have available - a scientific theory has been tested and challenged, and if nothing has been found to disprove it whilst significant evidence has been found to support it then it is quite a strong theory. There can be mutually exclusive theories which both have evidence to support them, and then there can be a division in the scientific community as to which one is correct (so individual judgement of which evidence seems stronger) but that is not justification to denounce the entire process.

As such, if the scientific consensus is that sexual orientation is not a choice then that is what the current best theory is - even if it is not entirely correct then successor theories will most likely demonstrate why the current evidence points that way.

arrestees come in as heterosexual and leave homosexual or bisexual, then it's obviously a matter of choice-- a choice to be lonely with no pleasures of the flesh or a choice to have fun while being incarcerated for a few months.

"Sexual orientation is not synonymous with sexual activity or sexual behavior (the way one chooses to express one’s sexual feelings)."

[American Academy of Pediatrics, Sexual Orientation and Adolescents, definitions section]

Further:

"The mechanisms for the development of a particular sexual orientation remain unclear, but the current literature and most scholars in the field state that one’s sexual orientation is not a choice; that is, individuals do not choose to be homosexual or heterosexual."

[ ... , Etiology and prevalence section]

• Brohoof 1

Thanks for the words and yes i know we are supposed to be different but somehow it comes across in my head as 'tolerate is to surrender" But I still be squish if topics came up but if the person told me and we hung out i'd probably be just fine just as long as said topics didn't come up again.   Hate the sin but don't condemn the sinner to hell cause well sin is their choice, not yours. Still doesn't stop my skin crawling every time said topic brought up.

Anyway rewatch Veggie tales the other day and ah good times..good times... well until they went bankrupt and sold the rights off and no ti just...I dont know what they did with it but it not what it used to be. and they really screw up the pengiuns too.

• Brohoof 1

With the way the media and universities glorify being LGBT and being "different!". Perhaps this is a North American (anglo) thing but the degradation of the family is what's ruining the US and it all starts with the large institutions pushing onto children and that being gay and "unique!" is superior to the heterosexual normative. Being gay is fine, let hI'm who is without sin...cast the first stone, I and no one else on this earth is without sin. However the gay community used to be far more respectable, nowadays we have young children being taught and encouraged to be trans in some Washington state schools and parents bringing children to the folsom street fair in SF(if you don't know what this is, look it up). I will always treat others the way I want to be treated. But the way some in the LGBT are behaving it makes it difficult to not feel contempt for them.

I know this isn't always a popular opinion in this Fandom but that's why opinions are opinions. God bless.

• Brohoof 3

Welcome poneyperson17! MLP is certainly a good show to enjoy immensely(as long as it doesn't distract you from God), it has morals worth promoting  :twi: Sucks about the type 1 diabetes, hopefully it doesn't impact your eating too much. So many challenges we face in this world. 

Welcome to the forum  :D

• Brohoof 1

I'm sad to say I've been falling out of my faith a lot as of late, and I'm trying to rebuild my relationship with God to what it once was. I'm filled with shame and regret for my actions, and I humbly ask for your prayers, my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ...

• Brohoof 3