Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Christian bronies: meet, greet, and mingle!

Zach TheDane

If I might contribute to the subject of "truth", hoping of course that I'm not intruding or causing a heated debate, then I would like to pose these questions:

Why is God unable to lie?

If God cannot, then why should we?

If Jesus is the "truth", then what justification is there to lie?

Reading Rev 12:11, I'm thinking that the argument "I can lie to save a life" is rather selfish, and (if I may be so bold as to say so) is rather idolatrous of one's life (that it, to value life on Earth more than one's loyalty to God). You cannot serve life and God.

I believe that by "justifying" a lie in any case could be the breeding grounds to justify lying for selfish gain. For example, my friend thought it was okay to lie to me so that I would drop a subject.

On a final note, Rev 21:8 seems to make it clear that lying is cowardly and would constitute as "leaning on one's own understanding" rather than putting faith in Christ. I think the thing we forget a lot of the time is that life here will end and that the only thing that will truly matter in the end will not be our years but our faith in God's gift of salvation.

Thoughts?

• Brohoof 1

Reading Rev 12:11, I'm thinking that the argument "I can lie to save a life" is rather selfish, and (if I may be so bold as to say so) is rather idolatrous of one's life (that it, to value life on Earth more than one's loyalty to God). You cannot serve life and God.

One is required to love thy neighbour as thyself and that, along with love the lord your God with all your heart, 'there is no commandment greater than these.'  [Mark 12 (29:31)]

I therefore believe that other directions one finds throughout the bible, such as being honest, are not absolute but guidelines for loving thy neighbour; genuine efforts to always be honest should be a natural corollary of loving God with all thy heart and thy neighbour as thyself after all. The caveat to honesty would therefore be that with all the grey areas and confusion of life one has to make difficult decisions where there doesn't seem to be a right answer - at that point it's a case of pray that you are guided to make the right choice.

• Brohoof 2

Hey guys let me ask you this. I've always said "God helps those who help themselves" so I've always been skeptical on the power of prayer. At least in terms of being an approach to problems that aren't spiritual in nature.

What have you been taught or what's your interpretation? How is prayer more than a simple communique with God?

Hey guys let me ask you this. I've always said "God helps those who help themselves" so I've always been skeptical on the power of prayer. At least in terms of being an approach to problems that aren't spiritual in nature.

What have you been taught or what's your interpretation? How is prayer more than a simple communique with God?

I believe that it is ok to talk to God about anything, although I personally feel that you should talk to God about certain things that are beyond your control, such as forgiveness, a problem that you can not control or if you feel completely powerless in a certain situation.

"A man is powerful on his Knees." ~ Corrie Ten Boom

• Brohoof 2

I believe that it is ok to talk to God about anything, although I personally feel that you should talk to God about certain things that are beyond your control, such as forgiveness, a problem that you can not control or if you feel completely powerless in a certain situation.

"A man is powerful on his Knees." ~ Corrie Ten Boom

I personally wouldn't agree with that quote but I see what you mean. Submitting yourself to God, admitting there are things you can't control is good as it's an acknowledgment of one's own humility. 

The idea just personally strikes me as lazy, like just wishing everything will turn out all right and expecting it to do so just because you asked Jesus really nicely.

• Brohoof 1

I personally wouldn't agree with that quote but I see what you mean. Submitting yourself to God, admitting there are things you can't control is good as it's an acknowledgment of one's own humility. 

The idea just personally strikes me as lazy, like just wishing everything will turn out all right and expecting it to do so just because you asked Jesus really nicely.

It's not about asking nicely. God can't be bought by your "charisma". No, it's a matter of whether or not he wills something to happen. We are told to "voice our requests with thanksgiving and supplication", and it isn't lazy either. Prayer is showing yourself to God without hiding or concealing. It's coming clean and asking for help. It should also be noted that with prayer comes closure; if we ask for something that will bring honor to God then we can be assured that it is heard and we don't need to be anxious about it. Completely taken care of.

• Brohoof 2

Valiant the Baptist checking in. Been a believer in Christ for the majority of my life (21 years).

It's awesome to see a thread like this.

I've felt really blessed to be a part of the Brony fandom for the past three years. You guys (and not just everyone right here) are awesome.

Keep rocking it, guys. God bless you all.

:)

• Brohoof 4

I'm a Baptist Christian. It's nice to see that there is a topic for people like me. Who love God, and MLP.

I'm glad you found this thread :)

We all have our arms open if you wanna talk about God. Or ponies ;)

• Brohoof 2

have you done your quiet time today :o

To be honest, I haven't been consistent on my quiet times, this past month.

Thanks for reminding me to continue my study of the Epistles. :)

Hey guys let me ask you all this. What are your thoughts on the parable of Babel? That is one of those stories that seemed to contain a very unhealthy message. Maybe I'm reading it the wrong way but the way it was taught me was that the story was about not going too big on a societal level that we should never advance as a civilization.

Just that if we were to apply that same logic these days, God is telling us to stay on Earth and eventually go extinct in the same dirt and ooze we crawled from. Pretty defeatist is all I'm saying. Am I simply reading the message wrong?

• Brohoof 1

Hey guys let me ask you all this. What are your thoughts on the parable of Babel?

Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.

My understanding is that the bit that crossed the line was 'a tower that reaches to the heavens' - far from a prohibition on space elevators, high-rise offices, great endeavours or high aspirations, it is the belief that through mighty deeds one can achieve a glory to rival or eclipse God that is wrong. 

But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

I am less certain about this bit, as God appears to state that humans can rival him if they work together, but my view is that this refers to physical endeavours that would not be beyond a united humanity (or even just a large enough group.) They would not be Gods, but their efforts would result in idols to their arrogance and hubris. What I take from this, at least, is that for all that we have achieved so many efforts are confounded by the lack of a shared language* or other petty differences - we aren't gods and we never will be. There may well one day be a tower that reaches into the heavens (a space elevator) but this isn't about the specifics. 

As an interesting observation, the conflict resulting from the divisions in the world has done wonders for scientific progress - if the objective were to slow scientific development then preventing wars through unity would probably be a better method. 

*(I recall a lecturer explaining how a unit of measurement difference resulted in a space probe failing, as a more modern example.)  

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 2

have you done your quiet time today :o

I have to admit that I have not been as consistent with it as I should. I usually have my quiet time before I sleep, most of times I just do some prayers, but I think that I should get into the habit of also including some Bible readings.

The advice I got, and that I would like to share, is that it is good to create a routine, to have some time just between oneself and God. A fixed time, a portion of the day that you plan only for that, and seek to follow it, to have discipline. What was recommended to me was at leas 30 minutes, but even if you can do only 5, be disciplined about it.

Even when I end up not spending all the time I should, I have established to myself that I will not go a single day without making at least one prayer. :)

christian brony here yo :grin:

Welcome! :pinkie:

SideBarwelcome190_zpsd961b822.png

Hey guys let me ask you all this. What are your thoughts on the parable of Babel? That is one of those stories that seemed to contain a very unhealthy message. Maybe I'm reading it the wrong way but the way it was taught me was that the story was about not going too big on a societal level that we should never advance as a civilization.

Just that if we were to apply that same logic these days, God is telling us to stay on Earth and eventually go extinct in the same dirt and ooze we crawled from. Pretty defeatist is all I'm saying. Am I simply reading the message wrong?

Once In A Blue Moon, above, already gave a good explanation and I agree with him. People were trying to be like God, which just isn't possible, they fell victim of their own arrogance.

God may speak differently to each people, he speaks in an way that people of a certain time and place can get the message. The time and place of the Old Testament is very different than our own, and God has spoken in a way that they could understand, and they did. It was a completely different mindset than our own, and it will go over the head of anyone who tries to analyse it with the modern day mindset.

The Babel Tower would have never reached God even if it continued, because God isn't in the outer space (a physical place), he is in the Heaven (spiritual place). But the people of that time didn't have the knowledge of space that we have today. They thought that they could reach God and be like Him if they went high enough. The fall of the tower was to shown that their goal is unreachable.

On a related note, I would like to point out something that came to me while I was typing my response: while people in the Old Testament were arrogant enough to try elevating themselves to the level of God, God Himself in the New Testament was humble to the extreme in lowering himself to our level, so he could walk among us :)

Christian over here! My background is united but I'm fairly open to others as well. Currently attending a Christian University.

Welcome to you too! :D

Pinkie-JoinUs.jpg

• Brohoof 4