Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Christian bronies: meet, greet, and mingle!

Zach TheDane

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I have not been much active lately on the forums. Anyways, I am popping by to say hello :)

Hi! I'm a Christian brony.  :squee:  I'm just kind of popping into say hello, I exist, and I'd like to make friends. I totally understand if this thread is more for theological discussions, as I've seen a lot of them on here while scrolling through. Anyhoo. It's nice knowing there are more Christian bronies out there.

A belated welcome to you! And as others have already said, this isn't primarily for discussions, though some might pop up every now and them. But it is nothing heated. The thread is mainly to meet and talk ^_^.

I finished 1st year Engineering. Can't say with flying colours 'cause it's the hardest schooling I've ever done, but I made it. ANd Only God could've carried me through the hard parts.Wh

What'd I miss?

Nice to see you back around here, even if for just a bit ;)

Hey guys, let me ask you this, what do you all think defines faith?

I know I am a little late to reply this, but anyways here is my take.

Faith in a Christian context is not just knowing or believing that God exists, as even the demons in Hell know that God exists. Faith here involves trusting in God.

Faith is "the certainty of what you cannot see", at least not yet see. But this should not be mistaken by blind faith, which is accepting something without any knowledge or basis. Faith can, and ‒ I dare to say ‒ must, be grounded.

For example, one knows that the existence and life of Jesus Christ is a historical fact, also knows what he teaches, and so one decides to trust in Christ and become a Christian. Or, even if someone does not have much knowledge about Christianity, he can still see the good Christ made on the live of another person, and then get convinced.

• Brohoof 1

we are 10 days into Ramadan for our Muslim friends.

It seems polite to acknowledge it, but perhaps "Ramadan Mubarak" is going a bit far?

My muslim friends know I'm a christian, and have responded positively to that greeting though.  

Any thoughts?

• Brohoof 1

It seems polite to acknowledge it, but perhaps "Ramadan Mubarak" is going a bit far?

After looking up what it meant, this website suggested that 'Kul ‘am wa enta bi-khair!' is also an acceptable greeting, and apparently means 'may every year find you in good health' which is not directly related to Ramadan but would probably be taken well.

• Brohoof 3

After looking up what it meant, this website suggested that 'Kul ‘am wa enta bi-khair!' is also an acceptable greeting, and apparently means 'may every year find you in good health' which is not directly related to Ramadan but would probably be taken well.

lol, that sounds great, but I have no idea how to pronounce it!

(edited)
I have no idea how to pronounce it!

I'd just have a bash at saying it phonetically - Arabic doesn't use Latin letters, so my understanding is that that is an emulation of it using standard-ish rules for English pronunciation. A phonetic transcription website suggested this for the pronunciation: Kul æm wa enta baɪ-khair  which sounds about right (I used google translate to turn the English phrase into Arabic, and although it was clearly translated into a slightly different phrase there were certain similarities / repeated words that were pronounced the same way -  although 'khair' was pronounced 'ka-here.' Not being an Arabic linguist, or even any form of linguist, I can't really advise on which is correct.)

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon

(edited)

Evangelical Protestant Christian here. I tend to not overthink God so much except to pray and go to bed and sing before eating. But then again i try to keep Jesus in my hearth. Other than that its a good summer!

Edit: For fun, i actually played World of Warcraft again, to be honest i used to hate that game lots of times before because i never understood it. But after some years i am understanding that thinking + game = fun. So i started looking up what class and race was useful. I figured that since priest seemed kinda useful for healing and fitting, i made it in a pvp arena. I also made it shaven on top and not long hair, afterall priesthood in the bible is not supposed to have long hair. I mean i cannot commit blasphemy now can i :P

I find it fun! I can play up to level 20 before i have to pay for it. Its either way a good way i think to explore more without having to rush to play it before next payment comes. More easier to get the hang of it with patience that way :)

Edited by Fluttere
  • Brohoof 2

Edit: For fun, i actually played World of Warcraft again, to be honest i used to hate that game lots of times before because i never understood it. But after some years i am understanding that thinking + game = fun. So i started looking up what class and race was useful. I figured that since priest seemed kinda useful for healing and fitting, i made it in a pvp arena. I also made it shaven on top and not long hair, afterall priesthood in the bible is not supposed to have long hair. I mean i cannot commit blasphemy now can i   I find it fun! I can play up to level 20 before i have to pay for it. Its either way a good way i think to explore more without having to rush to play it before next payment comes. More easier to get the hang of it with patience that way

Hell yeah! Hit me up with a PM if you ever want to talk stuff like lore. I'm a dedicated WoW player since vanilla. 

• Brohoof 1

Is Catholic exorcism still a thing btw. Or maybe those really never existed but were just in movies, but i will assume they existed if i imagine "In the name of Jesus" to throw demons out of people or some stuff like in the bible and some might get inspiration from that, the most extreme cases i have seen have been to some holding a hand and talking in tounges, although those are usually in protestantic churches.

Is Catholic exorcism still a thing btw. Or maybe those really never existed but were just in movies, but i will assume they existed if i imagine "In the name of Jesus" to throw demons out of people or some stuff like in the bible and some might get inspiration from that, the most extreme cases i have seen have been to some holding a hand and talking in tounges, although those are usually in protestantic churches.

some of the guys i've talked to who have served in less developed countries have told me stories of demonic possessions, and of casting them out.

I've never heard someone call it an exorcism though.  

Is Catholic exorcism still a thing btw

I've never heard someone call it an exorcism though.

Actually yes the Church does train exorcists. Their first step though is to run through psychological tests and such, first ruling out more mundane answers to the problem. If that does get ruled out, they do start considering demonic occupation or possession. The film the Exorcist is actually quite accurate in terms of how it portrays the Church as an organization with different levels of individual piety and doubt and different orders within it with different jobs.

• Brohoof 1

Do you guys ever find the fury and rage and let's call it wrath of atheists and the like to be disheartening? I mean I've said it before, if someone doesn't believe in God, that's fine, and for the most part the reverse seems to be true with others. Then you have those few that give the rest a bad name if I were the sort to generalize.

Maybe it's just my experience but of those Christians who I find to be the worse in our number, they may be condescending as all Hell and self-righteous but rarely have I seen or heard of one that's angry and vengeful. With non-believers though? (And again I stress this isn't even the majority of them.) Their venomous words send my heart plummeting. I can honestly say it's sent me into bouts with doubt. I wanted to abandon my faith just so that wouldn't be something someone could hurt me with anymore. I wonder though, would at least one person consider that a victory?

"I brow beat and bullied the religion out of someone!"

What about you guys? Even if your experiences with atheists have been otherwise pleasant, have you ever encountered one that seemed disproportionately angry and rancorous?

• Brohoof 1

i rarely find the rude anti-christian behavior of others to be infuriating; more, I tend to feel bad for them.

however, when Christians behave badly, it drives me batty.  

• Brohoof 2

i rarely find the rude anti-christian behavior of others to be infuriating; more, I tend to feel bad for them.

however, when Christians behave badly, it drives me batty.  

Well yeah, they're your peers in faith so it's naturally embarrassing and shameful. I feel the same and would swiftly intercede were I to witness such behavior as discrimination and damnation.

Do you guys ever find the fury and rage and let's call it wrath of atheists and the like to be disheartening? I mean I've said it before, if someone doesn't believe in God, that's fine, and for the most part the reverse seems to be true with others. Then you have those few that give the rest a bad name if I were the sort to generalize.

Maybe it's just my experience but of those Christians who I find to be the worse in our number, they may be condescending as all Hell and self-righteous but rarely have I seen or heard of one that's angry and vengeful. With non-believers though? (And again I stress this isn't even the majority of them.) Their venomous words send my heart plummeting. I can honestly say it's sent me into bouts with doubt. I wanted to abandon my faith just so that wouldn't be something someone could hurt me with anymore. I wonder though, would at least one person consider that a victory?

What about you guys? Even if your experiences with atheists have been otherwise pleasant, have you ever encountered one that seemed disproportionately angry and rancorous?

Atheists are very cantankerous individuals sometimes. For a reason I have observed being that they feel lied to. If they deconverted they went from believing x to now believing x to be a lie or untrue or at least not proven. Not saying christianity is a lie or untrue. Especially if the religion was fundamentalist or cultist.

One can feel lied to and be resentful of this religion they deconverted from. Regardless of whether they were justified, regardless of it was for good reasons and regardless of whether their decision is actually true. That's my observation as a nonbeliever

• Brohoof 2

Do you guys ever find the fury and rage and let's call it wrath of atheists and the like to be disheartening?

Maybe a little bit, on occasion. I will say that the 'hopping mad' variety (thankfully something of a rarity) can be... I really shouldn't say entertaining, and it isn't really, but anyone who says that turning the other cheek isn't effective clearly hasn't seen how much it infuriates a wrathful atheist. In that sense it validates the whole 'you will be hated but you must not hate them' aspect of our faith, and gives a very favourable impression of Christianity to observers. That I find satisfying*. 

I mean I've said it before, if someone doesn't believe in God, that's fine, and for the most part the reverse seems to be true with others. Then you have those few that give the rest a bad name if I were the sort to generalize.

I do understand the anger some feel. I get rather irritated by certain things - usually misuse and abuse of statistics, and I can appreciate that some people genuinely believe that religion is a blight on the world. Once you understand that, you can see that their desire to eliminate religion from the world stems from a misplaced desire to do good - and at that point we all suddenly have a common interest. When one's stated goal is to love one's neighbour as one loves oneself, criticism of one's fundamental position becomes nigh untenable.

Obviously there will always be disagreements about how best to go about making the world a better place, but we have those within the faith as well. If anger at Christianity can be harnessed to achieve something good... that's far better than letting it fester.

*it's funny, really, that a lot of the guidance we can find in Jesus' teachings actually translates into really good PR - even in cultures less influenced by Christianity, or when faced by modern methods for influencing public opinion. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

People can believe what they wish, and don't have to believe in what they don't. This is also part of God's will in giving free will to everyone. I do believe in God and have faith in my Christianity. If I don't believe in something, I don't feel hateful toward it. There are other religions in the world that I don't believe in, but I don't feel hateful or resentful toward them. I respect all beliefs. 

God wants us all to find Him in our own ways, whatever those ways may be. Sometimes it can take a lifetime to gain perspective. We all have a journey to take to reach understanding, and happily God is patient and loving as we go through it. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 4

Steel Accord, on 08 Jul 2016 - 01:28 AM, said:

The amount of times that I met such hostility in person, directed specifically to me, is exactly zero. I only had such issues online, even then it wasn't as bad as it could be, considering other cases I know. Rudeness is something that really irks me, on any subject, but if it is about religion, it just adds insult to the injury. I default to courteous and polite, but I can get incisive and assertive at the moment my education isn't reciprocated. This can be a flaw on circumstances that could have been better handled by diplomacy, but I do think that it is necessary on certain cases.

Though rudeness in general irritates me, what particularly irritates me is some uncalled hostility towards religious folk, like attacking just on any mention of faith or other religious stuff. The religious individual wasn't doing harm to no one, was being educated and forcing nothing on other people, but then the bashful atheist comes totally uninvited. If it is online, one can easily tell what a certain discussion or article is about by just reading the title. If he is not interested, he can just move on. But he enters in the discussion just to attack and be generally rude, he can't really complain that he doesn't like the subject because (1) he knew full well what it was about before entering, (2) he wasn't forced to come, and (3) it wasn't harming him. Those unprovoked attacks are what irritate me the most.

Pro tip: contrary to popular belief, religion can be discussed; it is just necessary to have enough education and knowledge for that. I notice that those who prefer to just avoid the subject usually either are afraid of hostility, or isn't capable of discussing it in an educated manner. About myself? My personal policy is if I am not doing something wrong, then I have no reason to hide it; which is why I am open about my beliefs and about discussing them. On the top of that, I can really respect the courage of other people who are also open about it.

What also irritates me, is being accused of something I didn't do. Like when other people assume I think or do something bad because of what I am, that is the very definition of prejudice. I am not against science, I don't hate gays, I am not ignorant, or whichever other stereotype. But some assume that just on mention that one is Christian. Bonus points if they start attacking on sight without caring to even mention what accusation it is, because it is supposedly so obvious, and you are let wondering why the heck they are attacking you. Around an year ago I got involved in discussions on the Sonic Stadium forum and on the late BumbleKing forum, about the legalization of gay marriage in the USA. Instead of rather discussing the subject at hand, I ended up spending a lot more time having to explain that I don't hate gays, that I don't want them prosecuted, explaining that I am not ignorant, that Christian theology is logical, that the faith has historical basis, and defending myself against insults.

One reason why I think such hostility exists is because denying God requires to hurt your own conscience, because people naturally have a tendency for spirituality. And hurting your conscience hurts, and when you see someone who reminds you of the pain you caused yourself, there might be some hostility towards this other person. This isn't a logical reason to be hostile, I admit, but people aren't logical when they let themselves to be led by their primal impulses.

Another reason, is what alpinefroggy said:

alpinefroggy, on 08 Jul 2016 - 02:00 AM, said:

Atheists are very cantankerous individuals sometimes. For a reason I have observed being that they feel lied to. If they deconverted they went from believing x to now believing x to be a lie or untrue or at least not proven. Not saying christianity is a lie or untrue. Especially if the religion was fundamentalist or cultist.

One can feel lied to and be resentful of this religion they deconverted from. Regardless of whether they were justified, regardless of it was for good reasons and regardless of whether their decision is actually true. That's my observation as a nonbeliever

I used to have the habit, though I didn't do it in a while, to lurk atheist boards and sites, just to read why they became atheists. A bad experience with religion was almost a constant, and I didn't manage to find anyone who gave some philosophical or logical reasons. This when they don't just say that discovered that religion is stupid, without ever elaborating it further.

Being forced into something, or having the ideas shoved in you without the right to question, have the opposite effect when it comes to convincing. The feeling that remains is something in the lines "I was deceived once and I won't be again". That is why "live by example" is a recommended. I remember about that quote of Saint Francis of Assisi: "Always remember to preach the gospel, and if necessary, use words" . If something is justifiable, there is no need to force it and neither the need of using any rhetorical tricks.

Anyways, I would like to add that here in Brazil I didn't see those issues not as often and not in the same intensity as I notice in North America. To be honest, I still have a hard time understanding how religion works there. Here I don't think I had anyone to raise the stink eye while finding about my faith; but when I get to discuss it with international people, I already get in aware of which image they might have about the subject. Anyways, it might be healthy to get a different perspective on the subject, which leads me to the next point:

Once In A Blue Moon, on 08 Jul 2016 - 06:33 AM, said:

Maybe a little bit, on occasion. I will say that the 'hopping mad' variety (thankfully something of a rarity) can be... I really shouldn't say entertaining, and it isn't really, but anyone who says that turning the other cheek isn't effective clearly hasn't seen how much it infuriates a wrathful atheist. In that sense it validates the whole 'you will be hated but you must not hate them' aspect of our faith, and gives a very favourable impression of Christianity to observers. That I find satisfying

Breaking stereotypes is satisfying. I am aware that certain people will be expecting me to behave in a certain way, but then I behave better. That destabilize them. Those discussions of mine that I mentioned earlier in this post only were effective because I kept a straight face, and didn't let their preconceptions to faze me, and I kept going strong and assertive. They didn't expect anyone to come and give an argument that is logical and that not is "because God or the Bible said so". I could notice a difference on their behavior, like thinking twice before engaging with me or others using rhetoric.

Aggressive atheists aren't usually expecting anyone to keep standing still, they didn't plan on what to do in the case the other side continued instead of backing away with its tail tucked between their legs. Just continuing might be the enough, as they lost the north and don't know what to do. A handful of people willing to not accept being intimidated might be the enough to make others not willing to attack them.

On the top of that, when you are virtuous yourself you might break the reasons that other people thought they had for attacking. At the bare minimum, when stereotypes about religion are removed, other people might even start warming up and being more sympathetic to religion itself, regardless of agreeing or not.

• Brohoof 1

Why the discrimination against non-Christians?  :(  :(  :(

why indeed?

it doesn't serve any purpose, and is counter to Christ's model for us.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

why indeed?

it doesn't serve any purpose, and is counter to Christ's model for us.

Laymen's understanding. X is sinful because of y. We must separate ourselves from x. Then a disconect that you must still treat people of x or partaking in x as humans and respect them but human nature sullies this and creates situations where because x is sinful we must therefore discriminate. But then then the christians are being sinful as well with a misunderstanding of the teachings.

Human nature is atrocious sometimes

Edited by alpinefroggy