Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Christian bronies: meet, greet, and mingle!

Zach TheDane

I always get hammered for my conservatism.

i'm very conservative, but I don't take shit for it.

is it possible that you are being a bit in-your-face about it to the people you interact with?

the fact that you have a political name, picture and profile makes me wonder if your political leanings annoy the people around you in real life, and maybe they are just reacting to you?  

If politics is an important part of your life, more power to you, but you should be aware that many people have no patience for it, and other people are so passionate that they will go off on anyone who will listen/respond.  

i'm very conservative, but I don't take shit for it.

is it possible that you are being a bit in-your-face about it to the people you interact with?

the fact that you have a political name, picture and profile makes me wonder if your political leanings annoy the people around you in real life, and maybe they are just reacting to you?  

If politics is an important part of your life, more power to you, but you should be aware that many people have no patience for it, and other people are so passionate that they will go off on anyone who will listen/respond.

Just making a statement. I only get passionate about politics on the internet, plus its easy to piss people off.

Uh. Hi everyone!

Glad there is a thread like this 

Always wanted to share my love and passion for Christ

Welcome back :)

I see in your profile page that you are a roller coaster enthusiast. That's a pretty uncommon hobby, and sounds very interesting! What made you like it? Personally, I have rode roller coaster like two times in my entire life, I could not even manage to look at the ride, I kept my eyes closed all the way because I was terrified :lol:.

And good you like to share your love and passion for Christ, good things are supposed to be shared :)

What weesh said above, plus I would like to add some stuff.

I generally does not worry much about political labels, I just defend what I am convinced it is right without caring which political ideology it fits. But if I have to apply some term to me, I use "conservative", because it is what closest describe me. I prefer minimum government, without not too much power in the hands of state, plus its powers should be divided (legislative, executive, and judicial). I defend traditional values of religion, nuclear family, and property; and that it is the duty of the family (not the state) to educate children. I also defend the right of free association for private individuals and freedom of speech for them (Want to to express your faith in public places? So be it, the state must not hold you back from it).

The above values could also fit, at least in part, with the terms "libertarian" or "constitutionalist". Anyways, what I am trying to say is to not worry too much about labels. First make clear what your values are and what you are defending, just stating what is your political alignment might be misleading since other people might have a different understanding on what it means, or even have some misconceptions about it. Some people think that "conservative" means "racist", "sexist", "fascist" and "homophobic", when this is far from truth. You should define what are your values first and explain why you defend them, instead of just naming them. :)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Doesnt everyone, when they are born, have their soul assigned to that body?

That seems like the sort of question that both:

1) doesn't have an answer that can be proven or will be widely accepted, and

2) probably leads to more arguments than debates.

Assuming that a soul is "assigned", is it at the creation of eggs?  conception?  at some point during pregnancy?  at birth?  

does "assigned" imply that the soul is created at that moment, or is it somewhere else until it is assigned?

Personally, I'm unwilling to draw a line in the sand and say when and how it happens, because I care deeply about Christian unity, and I'd rather discuss core theology in the online forum, and discuss the smaller stuff in a personal setting with people who know and respect each other.  Also, I don't know the answer to your question.  

Edited by weesh
  • Brohoof 1

Doesnt everyone, when they are born, have their soul assigned to that body?

The soul is unique for each person. Actually, it is what makes a person being a person, and not a corpse. If you want a simple definition of soul, it is "your inner being". The soul is created directly by God, and not produced by one's parents, like the body. It is what animates the body, giving it life. The body is flesh, while the soul is spirit. The soul is the subject of human consciousness and freedom; soul and body together form one unique human nature.

Reincarnation is not part of Christianity, so according to this faith each new individual is his or her own unique new person. Our current body is corruptible and will die, but the soul is immortal. At the Judgement Day, everyone will resurrect with a new body, but an incorruptible immortal one, not unlike the body of Christ after he resurrected. Only God knows how, where, and when it will happen. It is worth noting that "reincarnation" and "resurrection" are not the same thing. The former would mean the same person being born again as a different individual. In Christianity, you are always yourself, and at no point you turn into someone else. You keep your personality and memories.

I can think of 3 different answers of when the soul is joined to the body: (1) at the instant of conception, (2) somewhere along the course of pregnancy, or (3) at birth. The third option I cannot really see how it could be defended, the second I at least see where it is coming from; something in the lines about whether the brain is yet formed or not. However I am inclined to agree with the first one, because that is where the cell have their own unique genetic code, different from both parents, and it has the potential of becoming by itself a full featured person unless stopped.

Anyways, I do understand the exact moment is a question that cannot be proven beyond any doubt. So even if there is doubt, I choose to "play it safe" and take the earliest possible moment (conception) as the one that a person becomes a person, so this way there is no risk of wrongly stating that something that actually is a person isn't.

• Brohoof 1

How you make your point, be it conservative or liberal, is important. To use an example:

I can think of 3 different answers of when the soul is joined to the body: (1) at the instant of conception, (2) somewhere along the course of pregnancy, or (3) at birth. The third option I cannot really see how it could be defended, the second I at least see where it is coming from; something in the lines about whether the brain is yet formed or not. However I am inclined to agree with the first one, because that is where the cell have their own unique genetic code, different from both parents, and it has the potential of becoming by itself a full featured person unless stopped.

As a discussion a fair few pages ago shows, I believe that (2) is correct, rather than (1) - specifically, when a brain is produced. @@Sunwalker, as they stated, takes a different view, and explained why.

As a result of our differing views, we take different stances on certain topics - I believe that abortion is fine until the aforementioned point (2) is reached, at which point it is not. I would err on the side of advising against it anyway, if only for a lack of certainty, but I believe that it should be legal until that point. Here I disagree with @@Sunwalker, but we both understand our respective positions; one could refer to mine as 'liberal' and @@Sunwalker's as 'conservative', but to be honest that hardly matters. We have each made our point, and each understands the other's position.

How you work with these differing views to produce a country's laws... that, I am afraid, is beyond me (for all that it's fashionable to criticise politicians, the job they have seems nigh impossible. Herding cats is nothing compared to herding activists.)

• Brohoof 1

Christian. Yes, what kind...I'm not 100% sure, cause there are teachings that I agree and don't agree with. Am I Brony? Sure (as suger) are.  And like any pony, we all come in different shapes, sizes, personalities and trots of life. And I for one accept them for who (and what) they may be.

• Brohoof 3

Catholic/wicca. I am reading the catholic catechism, well atleast when i have time. I have works 3 days a weekend, just got employed which i am thankful for. But i feel more inclined to not care so much about religion but i also do like to learn and talk with people who are.

Im Non Denominational christian.Im a American but a live overseas. Like my profile pic ? Did it my self.

Nice profile pic ^^. Whereabouts do you live oversees, if I do dare ask?

Welcome to the thread! :D

Hello everypony! I'm fairly new around here and had no idea there is a Christian bronies thread. It's nice to have somewhere to talk about my faith, since every time someone like me brings up their religious affiliation on other message boards that I'm a part of, they get attacked almost immediately and the whole thread becomes a debate.

• Brohoof 4

Hello everypony! I'm fairly new around here and had no idea there is a Christian bronies thread. It's nice to have somewhere to talk about my faith, since every time someone like me brings up their religious affiliation on other message boards that I'm a part of, they get attacked almost immediately and the whole thread becomes a debate.

You're not alone, when I first mentioned this to my folks and started talking about the meetups and social gatherings that involved MLP FiM and stuff like that. I believe the word 'cult' was thrown around. As I have said to many a nonbrony. We are not a cult, we are a passionate fandom,  yes we joke around with 'praise Celestia' and the end of the world will involve Discord somehow, but seriously, it's just a cool, somewhat creepy show( at times), comon, it's not like we're doing crazy drawings on the ground for some kind of summoning ritual or using a silly board for entertainment. We're just having fun breaking the norm that people are so established with(or at least I am). 

• Brohoof 6

that doesn't surprise me, but my experience is somewhat the opposite.

I see lots of preemptive religion bashing, but not as much directly bashing of individuals.  

• Brohoof 3

Well I'm glad you found this thread. You are certainly welcomed to talk about your faith  :rarity:

• Brohoof 1

Hello agian guys. I hardly talk on this thread much but glad it here if i need it.  Atlhough one thing I wanted to mention but nto sure it fall with rules. mostly was hearing the new of some churches legalizing same sex marrage in the church *shivers* have they no dignity. no of course you can offend anyone -_-

(edited)

Hello agian guys. I hardly talk on this thread much but glad it here if i need it.  Atlhough one thing I wanted to mention but nto sure it fall with rules. mostly was hearing the new of some churches legalizing same sex marrage in the church *shivers* have they no dignity. no of course you can offend anyone -_-

I know what you mean - I've gotten permanently banned from several communities for saying my thoughts on LGBT things, of course I'm not going to interfere and say it's wrong like I'm a certain group that doesn't represent the Christian faith very well (you know what I'm talking about, which I would not touch that group with a 10 foot pole), but I personally wouldn't go that way (being gay), because it's just not my thing. Some people actually think this is the same as saying you hate/despise gays with all your heart, which it is TOTALLY NOT THE CASE.

I really, really wish I could say more, but I'm already fearing nasty comments if I say any more.

Edited by Toast_Science

...mostly was hearing the new of some churches legalizing same sex marrage in the church *shivers* have they no dignity. no of course you can offend anyone

Even churches that are trying to love same sex marriage couples and other types of "non-traditional" people (i don't knew what a good word for that is), can easily fall into traps that make these guests feel unwelcome.

It drives me crazy when Christians use these highly visible signs as an excuse to dismiss or abuse or marginalize people, when that is not Christ's example for us at all.  However, just not being openly offensive isn't really good enough.  To be welcoming, there is some vocabulary to get rid of, and some worldviews to shift, and attitudes to correct.  Of the top of my head, the unfortunately common phrase "love the sinner, hate the sin", misses the mark.  

• Brohoof 2

Even churches that are trying to love same sex marriage couples and other types of "non-traditional" people (i don't knew what a good word for that is), can easily fall into traps that make these guests feel unwelcome.

It drives me crazy when Christians use these highly visible signs as an excuse to dismiss or abuse or marginalize people, when that is not Christ's example for us at all.  However, just not being openly offensive isn't really good enough.  To be welcoming, there is some vocabulary to get rid of, and some worldviews to shift, and attitudes to correct.  Of the top of my head, the unfortunately common phrase "love the sinner, hate the sin", misses the mark.  

"Love the sinner, hate the sin" is like saying "You're a great person, but... (insert disrespectful comment here)." It's a painfully thin disguise for the judgement of other people. So many churches have good intentions, but they will still drive away these "non-traditional" people because they risk being interpreted as insincere.

I know what you mean - I've gotten permanently banned from several communities for saying my thoughts on LGBT things, of course I'm not going to interfere and say it's wrong like I'm a certain group that doesn't represent the Christian faith very well (you know what I'm talking about, which I would not touch that group with a 10 foot pole), but I personally wouldn't go that way (being gay), because it's just not my thing. Some people actually think this is the same as saying you hate/despise gays with all your heart, which it is TOTALLY NOT THE CASE.

I really, really wish I could say more, but I'm already fearing nasty comments if I say any more.

You're fine, seriously. So often, "I don't agree with this" gets interpreted as intolerance/hate, which is painful to see. I think it's certainly possible to love the LGBT community without being a member or even an "ally" per se.

• Brohoof 1

Good day y'all! I have a question that has been lingering with me for a while now. I say I'm a Christian and that I believe in God but it doesn't always seem sincere. I do try to believe sincerely but it usually comes off more of a Pascal's wager than actual belief in my mind. I don't know if this is some sort of test or not but it's been bugging me for years. Have any of you dealt with something like this before, and if so how did you overcome it(if you have)? All suggestions and advice are welcome  :grin:

I do try to believe sincerely but it usually comes off more of a Pascal's wager than actual belief in my mind.
Ooo nice, Pascal.

Going to your question....So of course other people's answers will be different than mine, but I find myself in your situation a lot. I often find myself in a lackadaisical/drone mode of belief, which I admit is my fault a good part of the time. Belief is a tricky issue with religion, as.... well.... it's belief. It's that leap of faith that you make into the unknown that makes it scary. Could it all be true? Is it all a lie? Most of us won't know entirely for sure. Because we don't know entirely for sure, I personally think that forcing belief of something(in this case God) is bad, whether that thing be true or not.

Now, I'm not saying to give up on the idea of God or to stop trying to sincerely believe, I'm just saying you can't fit a square peg into a round hole. Forcing it into the hole, although it might work, takes a lot of effort and isn't smart. You want to sand the edges of the peg down so you have a more circular shape. It's still not going to be a perfect fit, but it'll fit a lot better and be a lot easier than trying a square peg.

So, what am I saying? I'm saying to don't give up and keep trying to fit the peg into the hole, but let God do the sanding so it fits in better. Let God help you overcome your doubt, but the only way for that to happen is for you to be open and to ask for His help. Belief isn't the easiest, and sometimes we just need to use Pascal's Wager to re-gain our footing. Sometimes we just need to go back to the very basics and go from there.

"In the silence of the heart God speaks. If you face God in prayer and silence, God will speak to you." - Mother Teresa

I hope this helped some. Hope you have a good day!

• Brohoof 1

I like your analogy of letting God sand the edges instead of forcing a square peg in a round hole. Forcing the matter usually doesn't work out no matter the idea in question. I used to go to church every single week and on my own accord too; but as I got older it became more of a force of habit than anything else. I eventually asked myself why I kept going and I soon started going less and less until I just stopped completely and the lingering thought of sincerity kicked in. 

You're right in that it's the unknowingness that makes belief scary. I usually feel the need to know something in order for me to accept it as truth, and that's what I think is the primary force behind why I sometimes have trouble with putting trust in belief. At the end of the day I have to understand I will not be able to know everything for certain and that some things I just need to put faith into. 

Thank you for your nice reply!

"In the silence of the heart God speaks. If you face God in prayer and silence, God will speak to you." - Mother Teresa

In this modern world we're living in it's difficult to find silence. I shall keep on searching. 

• Brohoof 1