Where do you cross the line?

Harmonic Revelations

Where is it that you cross the line between flight and fight?

Would you jump in front of a bus to save a stranger? How about your own child.

Would you take a bullet for your peers, how about your parents?

Where is it that you cross the line between flight and fight.

I suppose I'd give my life to help a stranger.

Well, unless I'm Superman in this situation, I don't think jumping in front of the bus would save the stranger. It would just kill both people. I don't know about the second question because I'm far from the time when people start having kids (I don't even want to have children one day).

I don't really like my peers, so I wouldn't take a bullet for them. And my mother would die of a heart attack if something happened to me. Furthermore, jumping in front of the bullet is a myth. The bullet would just go right through you into the next person.

In general, I wouldn't give my life for a stranger, but I would give my life to save a loved one in certain circumstances. I would almost always find a 3rd option that keeps me alive, while also saving everyone else.

Well, unless I'm Superman in this situation, I don't think jumping in front of the bus would save the stranger. It would just kill both people. I don't know about the second question because I'm far from the time when people start having kids (I don't even want to have children one day).

I don't really like my peers, so I wouldn't take a bullet for them. And my mother would die of a heart attack if something happened to me. Furthermore, jumping in front of the bullet is a myth. The bullet would just go right through you into the next person.

In general, I wouldn't give my life for a stranger, but I would give my life to save a loved one in certain circumstances. I would almost always find a 3rd option that keeps me alive, while also saving everyone else.

You would push them out of the bus's way with the chance you'd still be in front of it.

It's a shame to hear you think lowly of your peers.

It depends what type of bullet it is. You can't just generalize it into a "bullet".

I'm really, really flighty. But, if you DARE threaten one of my friends...

I am really attached to friends, not so much family. Unless you're one of my younger female cousins, or a close friend of mine, expect me to not even notice. Maybe yell if there's imminent danger. But I'm always worrying about my friends when I'm hanging with them IRL.

Actually, did you hear about the Grandma that wrestled a crocodile in Australia to save a strangers life? She wasn't even seriously injured, and she was a Grandmother, AND it was a STRANGER! It's CRAZY!

You would push them out of the bus's way with the chance you'd still be in front of it.

It's a shame to hear you think lowly of your peers.

It depends what type of bullet it is. You can't just generalize it into a "bullet".

Just thinking about the physics of the situation, I can't understand how someone pushing a person would move them more than if the person just jumped out of the way. And I doubt one push would even get the person out of the way of the bus. Its just a hypothetical anyway. I probably wouldn't save the stranger. If I help, he, slightly less likely to die, but it opens the potential for both of us to die. At the minimum, one person would be hit by that bus, so it wouldn't be wise to just throw myself in there, possibly just increasing casualties. This is under the assumption that all human life is equal. However, subjectively human life is not equal. My life means more to me than a faceless stranger of which I have no preconceptions.

My peers are not very pleasant people, for the most part.

If someone is putting me into this situation, I'm going to assume they mean serious business. It's probably not going to be just a .22 or 9mm. If they are using such low caliber ammunition, it is far more likely that the "human shield"would live as well. Thus if I had this knowledge, id be far more likely to take the bullet. However, someone in that situation wouldn't know what was being fired, so hesitation to possibly sacrifice one's life in vain is understandable.

well I've put my heath on the line to save someone before, I kinda just throw risk out the window when it comes to these things

I once jump off my bus a few stops early to break up a fight, i've broke up attempted rapes and muggings and I jumped to help a drunk who fell on some train tracks however i havent rely encounter a situations were my life will be at an extream risk like yeah i could save this person but i wouldn't be able to save my self...... i try to avoid those kinds of thing just like everyone else.

but ones health and ones life are different if i was to die saving someone what would happen..... would my loved ones balme the person i saved.... maybe the person will die a few days later and my death would be for nothing, its all uncertain 

Edited by PonyEcho

Why is the stranger standing in the middle of the street? Why can't they get out of the way themselves? Why can't the bus driver stop the bus? Why do I have to jump in front of the bus?

Why is somebody shooting one of my peers? Did they steal something, is some dude going crazy with a pistol? Even if I did take a bullet for them, the person would just shoot them with another bullet. Me taking a bullet won't change anything. It'll just result with 2 people dying instead of 1.

I may or may not fight or flight, it all depends on the situation.

• Brohoof 1

Well not trying to brag about it but I've saved 2 lives already. The thing is that in both cases my life was not endangered. Still I have think of this many times in the past, and In a way got to the conclusion that saving a life is the best way to die(reason of why im now in the donors program you can say im a living harvest waiting to happen XD). 

I dont know if I will be able to react as fast or have the wits to do something in that kind of situations, maybe the fear gets the worst of me and I will keep still or maybe I will do something, Don’t with any of this things happen but if they do I hope to be able and strong enough to do something (and not die in the process). I just don’t like the idea of not doing anything. 

I suppose I'd give my life to help a stranger.

I wouldn't jump in front of bus to save anyone. Unless I would be reasonably sure I can get away without being hit by the bus. And my child? I don't know, I really despise children, so I doubt that will ever happen.

I wouldn't take bullet for a stranger, friend or parent. Both because I don't want to die and because if you have enough time to dramatically move between shooter and a person, you probably could've done something more productive like distracting or taking out the shooter instead. Additionally, after you get dead, they can shoot the person you protected anyway.

Yeah, I know you didn't mean it like this, but there you go anyway.

I would never give my life for a stranger. Not willingly anyway.

If you fall into a metro tunnel, I'll do my best to help you out of there without compromising my life, be it offering you to pull you out or running to the control booth to make them stop the train, but I will not jump down and carry you away when the train's coming.

Similarly, I won't push someone out of the way of a car, but I'll be the first to call ambulance and will try my best to give you first aid.

I hate people who pull out their cameras instead of helping, as such I will do my best to help, but not put my life on the line.

Edited by Jessper

1) Bus situation- there is a chance that both of you will die, a very good chance that you yourself will die, and highly likely that you will at least be put into traction.  Not worth the risk.  I'd do it if it were my kid, but that's it.

2) Taking a bullet- problem with that scenario is that the human body will most likely not deflect the bullet.  And even if it does, what's to stop the shooter from shooting your friend or loved one again anyway?

Frankly there's too many people in my life whose hearts I don't want to break for me to lay my life down like that.

I'd take a calculated risk for strangers, but I wouldn't outright lay down my life for them. I think people start to forget, when it comes to self-sacrifice theories, that the life of the individual and the individual's right to preserve their own life have value, too. A one-for-one swap especially is meaningless because both lives are valuable unless you want to start calculating the value of individual human lives, which is always uncomfortable.

I'd do it for my child, because I do think I'm obligated to as their source of everything from protection to food to comfort to ensure their safety at all costs to myself.

I would most certainly not give up my life to save a stranger, and in fact there are very few things I would die for, if any. My idiology says that in essence we're all just people getting through life, no more, no less, that means that day-to-day people are no more than strangers to me, and I wouldn't treat them like any more than that.

I refuse to draw the line until I fulfill my goals, and at least start a family.

I've come close enough to death a couple of times (I get REALLY really really sick) that I've just sort of accepted it as an inevitability. So I've decided that if a shooter came into my school and was threatening people, I'd just go stand in front of whoever he was pointing the gun at and take it like a hero boss. Death is just another adventure to conquer, so why be afraid of it?

Well, realizing that my life is shortened to begin with, I might actually do something like this. I'd really have to be in the right state of mind, though. Naturally, I am a coward, but if I were able to awaken the state of mind I've had before where I might have killed myself it wouldn't be much of a problem.

That sounds so screwed up, but it's true. This would actually be the best way to go - Somebody would be saved and I would be gone without having done it myself in my family's eyes seeing as when somebody does something like this they don't go down in infamy for having killed themselves.

Perfect! I've found it - the way to commit suicide that wouldn't be looked down upon! Too bad it's not a scenario one can easily walk into...

Edited by Envy

I don't know honestly. I have yet to experience fight or flight in a dire situation like the one you described. I want to say I would fight, but I have no idea.

Some of you guys are going to dislike what I'm about to say, almost sure of it. I'm not the kind that would help a stranger if it puts me in a vulnerable position of any kind, why? Because I only look out for myself and those I find close to me.

If the time ever came where the tables were turned on me. Than I honestly wouldn't blame anyone if they did the same, it's almost something I'd expect. 

• 1 year later...

I can't just run.. from anything and its just in me to help everyone does not matter who they are.. or what they have done to me. If they need help, I'll be there to help. Even if I must give up my own life to help.. don't really want it to come down to that but if I must..

hmmm you know I would love to say that yes I would jump in front of a bus, or a bullet to save some stranger, often times I have even fantasized about it. but really I couldn't really answer that question until I have been put in that sort of situation. so far I have not 

• Brohoof 1

In most conflicts, I try to assume the role of mediator, if it is appropriate for me to do so.

however, if someone threatens my girlfriend, I will not hesitate to use any means necessary to defend her

for those of you who read my reply to "are you happy", we are all peachy keen now.

Where is it that you cross the line between flight and fight?

If you throw one at me, I'm goin hard.

For a stranger?  No I would not.  For my kid? Probably. 

I would never take a bullet for my peers, or my parents. 

I value my life. 

"Flight or fight" isn't a conscious thing. It's an automatic reaction. Your brain takes in all the information all at once and makes a snap decision for you. You have little to no say about whether you give a fight or a flight response.

I think my nature is to have a flight response most of the time.

Absolutely to all questions. I've made a career out of putting myself between strangers and evil motherfuckers. I'd take a bullet for my friends just as fast as they would for me. That, of course, is if I don't shoot the bastard attacking me first.