Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Giving back to the brony community

If you want to get into fanfiction writing, I would suggest that you try participating in a few role plays here on the site. They can really help with inspiration and give you some practise on writing stories. Your character will develop with the role play and give you ideas for further fanfiction writing!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a brony for well not quite as long as others but recently I have been offline and when I am online I don't post art or music.

I don't make music or art D: …

I need help, I have no artistic ability and have no musical talents, I need a way to contribute to the fandom, it would make me feel better besides being a useless brony.

• Brohoof 3

Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. 

Edited by NONAME
  • Brohoof 6

No one is ever useless.

Your definitely not useless if you don't make music or art, there are other things that you can do besides those two main factors. You could write fan fictions and do other things as long as your having fun while your doing it.

• Brohoof 1

Frist, there is no such thing as a 'useless brony', that kind of attitude is unproductive at best and counterproductive at worst.

Second, all skills takes time. Do not worry about  what you are good at, instead, focus on what you like  to do. I used the community as a catalyst to help me develop my skills. I am not the best in the world, but they are supportive and I have loved every second of it.

Only the problem is, I have no skills to even develop … the only skills I have are well minor discussions, that does not cut it for me.  I feel the need to do more but don't know where to start.

I have been a brony for well not quite as long as others but recently I have been offline and when I am online I don't post art or music.

I don't make music or art D: …

I need help, I have no artistic ability and have no musical talents, I need a way to contribute to the fandom, it would make me feel better besides being a useless brony.

Have you tried writing fanfiction? :) That's what I do, I either write my own or co author one with a fellow brony! :) don't worry just because you can't or don't want to contribute anything to the fandom doesn't mean your a 'useless brony' it just means your like everyone else in the fandom you here for the love of the show. :)

Again, do not worry about, 'skills'. What do you like to do? What is the thing that you dream of doing? If you could have one skill right now, what would it be?

one skill? or several … ok, umm concept art, Ive always wanted to be good at it but I can't even draw worth two cents.

Seems out of reach..

Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. Something was here. 

Edited by NONAME

Ok, so let's get you started drawing. You won't 'just be good at it'. Becoming a good draftsman/draftswoman, takes time and lots of practice. What guidance do you need to get started? I can provide a little, I am ok at best. Through there are plenty of supportive friends here that can get you moving along the correct path. In a few months, you could look back on this day and be pretty happy with yourself.

Lets say this, Is it possible for me to get from, can't draw my profile pic to 'pertty' good artist to dang thats cool to wow you've improved a lot.  In under a year?

btw i appreciate you helping me out.

one skill? or several … ok, umm concept art, Ive always wanted to be good at it but I can't even draw worth two cents.

Seems out of reach..

In the ever wise words of Aristotle,“For the things we have to learn before we can do them,we learn by doing them.”

So pick up a pencil and start practicing if you wanna become an artist!It takes time to become proficient at a skill,but never impossible.It's only impossible if you think it is.You're only gonna become better the more you do a thing.

I'm not any sort of artist myself,but there's tons of way to get feedback about your art.The art forum we got on here,DeviantArt,Detective Butler up there,and probably a lot more places I don't know about.Might be a bit rough at first,but there's definitely tons of advice you can pick up around here if you just ask around.

In the ever wise words of Aristotle,“For the things we have to learn before we can do them,we learn by doing them.”

So pick up a pencil and start practicing if you wanna become an artist!It takes time to become proficient at a skill,but never impossible.It's only impossible if you think it is.You're only gonna become better the more you do a thing.

I'm not any sort of artist myself,but there's tons of way to get feedback about your art.The art forum we got on here,DeviantArt,Detective Butler up there,and probably a lot more places I don't know about.Might be a bit rough at first,but there's definitely tons of advice you can pick up around here if you just ask around.

Theres probably no point in arguing at logic … ok paper pencil, google images (for reference) ok now motivation *plays smile smile smile*

Ill see if I can start tomorrow, its late now

• Brohoof 1

i always recommend blogging as a way to be involved with the creative community even if you don't have the skills to make things yourself. Do you have a passion for mlp art, writing, or music? Could any of those be an avenue? I've made lots of blogs and spent a lot of time blogging about music myself way before i started making it.

• Brohoof 1

Spread the Brony fandom. I believe you can do it, or at least, stay in the fandom. That's enough to contribute.

Do whatever you want. That's what I do. I don't really care if I'm skilled in what I'm doing or not. The thing is, do it. It's hard to say someone is a good artist if he or she doesn't make anything. It's hard to say someone a good programmer unless the said someone actually makes something.

So...DO WHATEVER THE BUCK YOU WANT TO DO!

P.S. I found out that doing something increases my skill at it. Seriously. Just do.

Edited by Sky Warden

Spread the Brony fandom. I believe you can do it, or at least, stay in the fandom. That's enough to contribute.

Do whatever you want. That's what I do. I don't really care if I'm skilled in what I'm doing or not. The thing is, do it. It's hard to say someone is a good artist if he or she doesn't make anything. It's hard to say someone a good programmer unless the said someone actually makes something.

So...DO WHATEVER THE BUCK YOU WANT TO DO!

P.S. I found out that doing something increases my skill at it. Seriously. Just do.

You tell it like it is, I like that.  My thing is i feel there is always a duty to be done with everything.

Logic - just bucking do it.  Straight forward, I like that.

Lets say this, Is it possible for me to get from, can't draw my profile pic to 'pertty' good artist to dang thats cool to wow you've improved a lot.  In under a year?

It's not altogether likely it'll happen in that short a time frame, since most skills take years of careful honing to bring them to a level you'll be personally satisfied with (I've been playing bass for 7 years now and I can still find plenty of things about my playing to nitpick), but it is possible. After all, progress is only proportionate to the amount of work and time you're willing put into something. If you're serious about wanting to become good at drawing, you've got to push yourself to start in the first place, then you've got to just keep at it. Stay diligent in your work and don't be discouraged by minor muck-ups or criticism; it's all part of the learning and improvement process.

For drawing specifically, I would heavily recommend studying proportion theory. Learning how to draw exactly what you see is an important tool, but for me personally, I found my sense of proportion improved dramatically when I started sketching out the "skeletons" of everything before drawing the final outlines. Hope this helps somewhat. :D

I think contributing can involve giving an oc to ppl to draw so that they may improve themselves true its not contributing any thing like music or art but it contributes to the success of others in the community and is my contribution to it. Does any of this make sense to anypony

• Brohoof 1

You tell it like it is, I like that.  My thing is i feel there is always a duty to be done with everything.

Logic - just bucking do it.  Straight forward, I like that.

Personally, I don't care about how skilled I can be. Just do it. If I can't do something, Google it until I can do it. Learn and learn. It's funny to see how I've improved in the last six months. :lol:

The key is, buck skills. I do whatever the buck I want to do. :3

• Brohoof 1

I am going to follow your threads, friend me. I want to see you posting drawings, even rough sketches, of characters from scenes in the show in the 'fan-art gallery'. Is there any chance you can send me a sample of your work?

Aaaand the fear sets in.   Yes, if given the time I will start on something tomorrow.  I am not going to post things until I'm  sure its half decent. But yes I will send you everything i do *gulp

I can't wait to see it. Remember though, you are doing this for yourself, you might find out you hate it, or that you really enjoy it. tongue.png

When summer hits I will be drawing a lot more.  Busy - ish during the school year. 

Hate drawing ponies? Impossibru 

Honestly I can't wait to see it either, but I'm deathly afraid 

Edited by Dashicorn

By coming to MLPforums and discussing ponies with other people.You're technically contributing to the fandom. You don't need to be a flashy developer or artists  to "contribute" to the community.

• Brohoof 1

Well you don't have to contribute directly if you don't have or want to do anything really, your presence in conversations and the community is sufficient I think.

If you really want though you can always take up something you have no real talent in, I don't have any art talent, yet I took up drawing some mlp stuff and from Practice got sorta half decentish.

There's all kinds of other stuff like fanfic writing and stuff, or just you can be a good member of the community. Don't exactly have to do anything again, so don't feel obligated :)