Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A mother's love.

akita-ken

I'm continuing to practice in SAI in line with my experiments into raster art and have done (yet) another piece based on the fanfic that I read called "Colors of the Heart".

Before you start going "Hey what happened to her eye did you go crazy with the brush or something", well here's the context: Prism (the filly) has gotten bullied in school! But Mother is always there for her little angel :3

post-7476-0-07270400-1360761736_thumb.png

As always comments are welcome (i know it's far from perfect   :blush: )

Edited by akita-ken
  • Brohoof 7

I'd be grateful for any tips regarding which tool is best used for what as well, I'm more or less just bumbling around in SAI and figuring stuff out by trial and error

Very good drawing! It appears you aren't using minimum line thickness. Under brush/pen size there should be a slider for Min Size. Set that to zero and draw to see if you like it. I happen to use it but I know a few artists don't. Also, when drawing in a specific area or shading use the magic wand to select that particular area. Make sure to set it to target all image though. 

• Brohoof 1

Very good drawing! It appears you aren't using minimum line thickness. Under brush/pen size there should be a slider for Min Size. Set that to zero and draw to see if you like it. I happen to use it but I know a few artists don't. Also, when drawing in a specific area or shading use the magic wand to select that particular area. Make sure to set it to target all image though. 

Oh! Turns out my minimum line thickness was set at 40%, no wonder the pen felt too sensitive. Also, once I select stuff with the magic wand and the purple overlay appears, how do i deselect it without having to use the deselect tool and coloring over it?

cant....handle....cuteness.....must....resist....urge......hold...HOLD.... *explodes* bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! ITS SO CUTE IMA DIE! on a more calm note, you did some goo work here! its not spot on but i dont get the feeling you were trying to go for a standard mlp look. either way excellent work.

• Brohoof 2

Hello!

Great drawing! You sure are improoving quickly! :)

My tip would be to work on the snout and legs/hooves. These parts give the most effect to the pony, and it's crucial to master them.

Good luck!

• Brohoof 1

Haha, awww they're so adorable together :D. I think you did a really wonderful job. They look so peaceful and loving together, its a fitting thing to see with valentines nearing.

Great job :).

• Brohoof 1

Oh! Turns out my minimum line thickness was set at 40%, no wonder the pen felt too sensitive. Also, once I select stuff with the magic wand and the purple overlay appears, how do i deselect it without having to use the deselect tool and coloring over it?

Pressing ctrl+D deselects everything. If you have any other questions about SAI just ask away! I'm in no way an expert on SAI but I've been using it enough to know some tips

• Brohoof 1

cant....handle....cuteness.....must....resist....urge......hold...HOLD.... *explodes* bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! ITS SO CUTE IMA DIE! on a more calm note, you did some goo work here! its not spot on but i dont get the feeling you were trying to go for a standard mlp look. either way excellent work.

You're right, I'm trying to pull away from the standard mlp look. I already more or less know how to do show-accurate vector art, so right now I'm trying to see if I can work out a style of my own :)

Hello!

Great drawing! You sure are improoving quickly! :)

My tip would be to work on the snout and legs/hooves. These parts give the most effect to the pony, and it's crucial to master them.

Good luck!

Thanks, I will :)

Haha, awww they're so adorable together :D. I think you did a really wonderful job. They look so peaceful and loving together, its a fitting thing to see with valentines nearing.

Great job :).

Yeah, with all the hype about V day, sometimes we forget about the person who loves us the most :3

Pressing ctrl+D deselects everything. If you have any other questions about SAI just ask away! I'm in no way an expert on SAI but I've been using it enough to know some tips

I'll be sure to PM you when I've questions ^_^  

• Brohoof 1