Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people think that G1 Firefly is Rainbow Dash's mother?

ManaMinori

Yeah, I get that Faust said that she based Rainbow Dash off of Firefly of G1, but to say that she's RD's mom is quite a bit of a stretch, I think. Frankly because the both the comics and the show itself mentions/ depicts (General) Firefly as being around quite a few generations before Rainbow Dash ever was, which would not make her Dash's mom- if they're even related at all.

Evidence to support this is in IDW's My Little Pony Micro comic, a filly Firefly is shown living in the era from before Celestia had to banish Luna.

The episode "Testing, Testing 123"gives evidence to support this, when Twilight goes over the history of the Wonderbolts to Rainbow Dash. Word for word, she says: "Prior to the great Celestia/ Luna rift, there was no need for the Earth Unicorn Pegasi- or EUP Guard. But after Luna's banishment, the Protective Pony Platoons were formed. On the anniversary of the first celestial year of peace, a celebration was held; headed by General Firefly. An elite team of aerial performers were chosen to help commemorate this auspicious occasion. The first performance was so full of energy, so highly charged, that magical lightning showered down from the crowd. Everypony was so filled with amazement and wonder that General Firefly dubbed them....THE WONDERBOLTS!"

IOeIB84.jpg

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

Well there can be more than one Firefly, especially if it's an historical name.

You see her flying around in the background in plenty of episodes.

Besides its just a headcanon.

Like Suri Polomare being Diamond Tiara's mother or something like that.

• Brohoof 1

Well there can be more than one Firefly, especially if it's an historical name.

You see her flying around in the background in plenty of episodes.

Besides its just a headcanon.

Like Suri Polomare being Diamond Tiara's mother or something like that.

and I suppose all the Firefly's have the same lightning bolt cutie mark? Because in the episode, as Twilight's explaining the Wonderbolts, and general Firefly's founding them, she conjurs up an image of the Wonderbolts insignia- which has a lignting bolt that looks like Firefly's of G1's cutie mark. Which is the same pony people wrongly presume as being RD's mom.

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

and I suppose all the Firefly's have the same lightning bolt cutie mark? Because in the episode, as Twilight's explaining the Wonderbolts, and general Firefly's founding them, she conjurs up an image of the Wonderbolts insignia- which has a lignting bolt that looks like Firefly's of G1's cutie mark. Which is the same pony people wrongly presume as being RD's mom.

Actually I take it back. I swear THOUGHT I saw her in the background, but I can't seem to find it.

Maybe it was just my imagination.

But you know, many of the Wonderbolts have lightning shaped cutie marks.

Also Firefly had two lighting bolts for a cutie mark I believe.

It's cool though if you don't believe it to be the case.

Like I said, it's just a headcanon. You can think up someone else to be her mom if you want.

I'm pretty sure Lauren herself said that she pictures Firefly as RD's mom. That's probably where most of that headcanon comes from

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/06/lauren-faust-ponychan-q-compiled.html

I'm pretty sure Lauren herself said that she pictures Firefly as RD's mom. That's probably where most of that headcanon comes from

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/06/lauren-faust-ponychan-q-compiled.html

So here's Faust's quote:

Q: Ok, I have a question for Faust on behalf of /mlp/

Did you ever made any sketch or character concept of A.J, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy's parents, or they were just meant to stay offscreen?

We often ponder what could have been in contrast of what actually happened.

A: I did want AJ's parents to have passed away, but I never defined it (when I was running it) because I didn't think they would allow it. I was holding out to see if those restrictions would change. I had hoped to make RD's mom G1 Firefly. I never did sketch any of the parents, and only had vague ideas of who they were or what they did. For details like that I would usually wait until a story warranted a definition, then define it according to the needs of the story. Rarity's parents, for example, where never planned until we needed then for the episode. Neither were Pinkie Pie's

I don't think what Faust "had hoped" to make reality is the case anymore. Unfortunately, she no longer has a hand in MLP's development, and hasn't for quite some time now. The show staff and comic writers alike have both said that comic canon is canon until the show disproves it. However, Firefly is also stated in the show, in an era that supports what was said in Testing, Testing 123.

Faust herself said that she didn't sketch out the parents and only had a vague idea of who she wanted them to be, but that never came to light, so unfortunately, it doesn't count, if it's based off a hope and not actual evidence.

As I said, there can be more than one Firefly if it's an historical name.

Also the pegasus in the comic you shared doesn't have a cutie mark or look like a general.

Nor is it stated to be Firefly. So it shouldn't really count as evidence if you use your own standards.

Something else just occurred to me.

The Wonderbolts were formed right after Luna's banishment. That was 1000 years ago.

Now my train of thought might get tangled here, but stick with me.

The character with the damaged eye in the scan you posted is Inkwell.

Inkwell is alive in the present day (at least as far as I can tell) as an elderly mare.

You see her fighting next to that pink pegasus you hypothesize to be General Firefly.

But that can't be General Firefly, because she was alive during the time of Luna's banishment.

Inkwell is certainly not young, but if she's alive right now, she certainly wasn't around during Luna's banishment.

That may have gotten weird, but my point is that that fight in the comic you presented happened a lot more recently than the formation of the Wonderbolts did. So I'm going to say that is NOT General Firefly.

ya I never understood that I personally think Rainbow Dreams is her mom (white mare, Fluttershy like eyes and rainbow hair sort of similar to Celestia's).

do you have a picture? I don't think I've ever even heard of Rainbow Dreams.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, back in the early 90s My Little Pony Tales & My Little Pony + Friends were on free TV when I got off work, so I used to watch them while eating breakfast.  IIRC, G1 Firefly was the 1st pony to fly over the rainbow & bring back Megan (+ was a daredevil flyer in general)

The G1 & G2 ponies were way too far in the past to be the parents of any living pony.  Still, as several others have said, it is probably a famous Pegasus name & there were many Pegasi named Firefly

Still, it is my head canon that the G1 Firefly was a distant ancestor of Dash :D

Edited by sweetolebob18
  • Brohoof 1

do you have a picture? I don't think I've ever even heard of Rainbow Dreams.

I can't find it now, but I'm pretty sure I've heard of her before...and I'm pretty sure that she's a fancharacter :wacko:

• 1 year later...

I don't know why. People like to make fan theories and continuities. I can see her as a possible ancestor, but the original Rainbow Dash is more likely to be her mom.

People like to connect things. Even though the 2 generations are completely separate, some people like to think that G1 is a prequel to G4, even though nothing adds up.

It makes more sense then people who think G4 is a prequel to G1. Especially since Tirek and the Smooze were brought back. Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

To be honest Rainbow Dash's parents have already been shown which the mother is not Fire Fly, but in fact Rainbow Shine and Rainbow Dash mostly takes after her father, but Fire Fly was a part of the wonder bolts being one of the original generals which was said in an episode, but Fire Fly did have a baby which in generation one is baby Fire Fly and she came out of a mirror as all the babies in generation 1 did, but I can't really say why people think that due to everybody has their own reasoning behind it, but the biggest thing is probably due to Rainbow Dash was going to be Fire Fly, but  Hasbro was unable to do that due to after the generation 1 ponies were made the molds were sold off to other companies to focus more on the European market, but when Hasbro went to get the rights the companies claimed copyright so Hasbro was unable to get the rights to them and Lauren Faust had to change the designs, but Hasbro is slowly getting the rights back to some of them which why you see some of them within the show like Moondancer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
On 2015-02-14 at 10:23 PM, ShadOBabe said:

As I said, there can be more than one Firefly if it's an historical name.

Also the pegasus in the comic you shared doesn't have a cutie mark or look like a general.

Nor is it stated to be Firefly. So it shouldn't really count as evidence if you use your own standards.

Maybe firefly is the past life of rainbow dash

image.thumb.png.ca56a94dbbcc5ebe01a5eccee00bbbc0.png

• 1 month later...