Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Shanks

Okay so I have said quite a few times on here that I am not a fan of twilicorn but despite my misgivings I am trying to at least look on the bright side and can think of a few ways this might still work. Before I begin though I have noticed that several critics of twilicorn have said that this could work if it is temporary but I do not agree with this. Sure the way twilicorn was introduced may have been pitifully lazy writing but to simply grant alicorn status out of nowhere and then take it away as quickly as it was given would also be lazy writing and lazy writing cannot be solved with more lazy writing.

1. Twilight as princess of friendship: this will probably happen regardless of whether or not this actually works out so it is highly unlikely that Twilight will leave her friends. Think about it, she is the element of magic which is a combination of all the other 5 elements of harmony and the title of the show is "Friendship is Magic". Expecting the princess of friendship to leave her friends would be like expecting Cadence as the princess of love to not be with Shining Armor.

Twilight if anything will need her friends more than ever as she gets used to her new responsibilities as a princess, Rainbow Dash could teach her about flying as some have pointed out for example. Rarity could teach her about some of the finer points of high society etiquette though I am sure Twilight is well versed on it being Celestia's apprentice a little sprucing up though never hurt anypony. Applejack could help her sort through all the BS, suck ups and flank kissers trying to get in good with the new princes that will inevitably come her way. Pinkie Pie could help cheer her up when she is feeling down or discouraged and maybe make it a little less likely to have Lesson Zero moment.

2. A rational explanation as to why the coronation was so abrupt: there are many different potential scenarios I have come up with in my head and most of them involve some kind of emergency. We all know that alicorns get a massive power boost so perhaps whatever threat is lurking required Twilight to take this power boost a bit sooner than Celestia had originally planned. It could be a new villain or the return of an old villain it could even link to why Celestia wanted to reform Discord. There is nothing that will completely get rid of the abrupt nature of this change but it can be smoothed over slightly with some good writing.

3. Twilight's power grows slowly over time: my biggest concern with twilicorn was that Twilight would become too powerful too fast making her a Mary Sue. But having great power dosen't mean you have complete control over it, during this one flashback scene where it showed how Twilight got her cutie mark she had a massive magic surge which not only caused Spike to hatch from his egg but to temporarily grow into a fully grown dragon. Thanks to her years of training and study she has much greater control over her powers then she did back then but turning into an alicorn is far more significant than simply slapping a pair of wings on Twilight.

We don't know how big of a power boost that Twilight got but we know that is probably fairly substantial. We saw from Magic Duel that while Twilight was far more powerful than your average unicorn still had her limitations and as a alicorn if this is done correctly will still have some limitations. Simply put if Twilight is able to perform the kind of spells Trixie did under the influence of the alicorn amulet right off the bat than I am going to be seriously pissed. If written correctly Twilight could learn to master those kinds of spells and other high level unicorn and alicorn spells gradually over the course of a few more seasons.

• Brohoof 3

See, the way I was thinking of it was that she had reached a new level in her studies, and now is the Princess of Magic. (Or friendship, seeing as friendship is magic.) I was seeing the princesses as more of rulers of a specific domain, Luna being night, Celestia being day, Cadance being love, Twilight being magic. Sort of like a Greek pantheon of gods thing, where the each rule over one specific thing. The wings aren't even that important, really. More of a side effect, seeing as she can teleport anyway.

Edited by Brosparkles

I have a theory as to what may happen and could make the Twilicorn work in a fantastic way. I don't think that this will, but I think it'd be great if it did.

So Twilight's an alicorn now right? That entails all of this extra knowledge and access to knowledge that she never had before. One day, she's just doing her studying when suddenly she comes across something that she had forgotten about for a while. Dark magic. She begins studying it in secret, in fear of what Celestia would think. She becomes so engrossed in it that it begins changing who she is. She becomes more and more angry and unsatisfied with her current knowledge and knows that there must be more. There has to be. Next thing you know, she is corrupted, just like Sombra had been, and becomes a character similar to Nightmare Moon. The episode(s) will center around the rest of the mane 6 trying to make her realize the error of her ways and, obviously, in the end, convince her to stop.

After this, Celestia deems Twilight not ready for her destiny and revokes her powers as a princess. The rest of the season revolves around Twilight striving to regain Celestia's favor and trust so she can become an alicorn once more. However, at the end of the season when presented with this choice, she declines. Why? Because she realizes that a true friend wouldn't do anything to potentially weaken her bonds with her friends and realizes that she has to be there for them all the time, like they would to her.

I don't think that the writers would go this far into it, but I can hope, right? It makes sense. However, I don't know if they'd be willing to have Twilight fail her job with all of the sadness and defeat that it brings to the show and as we know, little girls don't like sadness and defeat.

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 3

• 7 years later...

It didn't really work. Season 3 was cut in half, and most of Season 4 had Twilight's wings pasted on, and no one were referring her as a Princess. She even helped bullying Fluttershy in that Bats episode.

What didn't work was the fact that they gave Twilight an ending to arc after only 2 and a half seasons, while most other Mane 6 ponies hadn't even started their stories yet. It was a rush job, and didn't repair until long into Season 5. This is something we have to simply live with.

But it doesn't mean the episodes are bad. "Magical Mystery Cure" has some great scenes and songs in it! :squee:

You guys ask for too much...stop being spoiled. The show is good. Didn't listen to anyone about the show and watched the whole series in one go... And it was awesome then watched again with the fandoms point of view(haters)..... Some has points but all in all.... You guys just love to complain and keep on saying "my idea for this story is better." Or " it shouldve been better(20% cooler)"

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Kujamih said:

You guys ask for too much...stop being spoiled. The show is good. Didn't listen to anyone about the show and watched the whole series in one go... And it was awesome then watched again with the fandoms point of view(haters)..... Some has points but all in all.... You guys just love to complain and keep on saying "my idea for this story is better." Or " it shouldve been better(20% cooler)"

It is true that people that watched the entire series in one go seemed to not have a problem, and actually liked Magical Mystery Cure and thought Twilight was ready. DYWTBA_Universe on Youtube comes to mind; how he praised the show for actually developing Twilight where other shows wouldn't. But he started his blind reacts ~5 years later. Many Bronies had left by then because of Hasbro's decisions.

5 minutes ago, Splashee said:

It is true that people that watched the entire series in one go seemed to not have a problem, and actually liked Magical Mystery Cure and thought Twilight was ready. DYWTBA_Universe on Youtube comes to mind; how he praised the show for actually developing Twilight where other shows wouldn't. But he started his blind reacts ~5 years later. Many Bronies had left by then because of Hasbro's decisions.

Don't waste your time with a hasdrone, splashers. Dude thinks the old bronies are toxic and the fandom is better off without them.

Is a fact he didn't live through season 2 and the hiatus previous to season 3. He can't understand how it was to watch the very climax everyone expected from the very creator herself being thrown out the window due excecutive meddling and the trainwreck that came with the mood and storytelling whipplash that came afterwards and was somewhat remedied by season 6.

Is not the same to just marathon the show by yourself than to watch it each saturday on a livestream with other guys and sharing thoughts. Is not the same to just sit down and put a bunch of pony than to wait for it each week, and then wait for it for months to just get a rushed up bad season finale and a lot of plotholes within the next 2 seasons.

• Brohoof 1