gaming Saddest/Most Emotional music in a game?

ActFast231

Final Fantasy has many songs that are worthy. This one here is on of my favorites.

The Metal Gear series has lots too. Here's one from MGS4

And I will go ahead and put this here because the music works very well during a certain part in this next video.

If you have not played Gears of War 3, do not open the spoiler.

When the piano arrangement of Mad World starts playing during Dom's sacrifice.

Edited by Mr. Dash

My choice for the most emotional music in a game would have to be from:

Dynasty Warriors 4

The battle of Yi Ling. 3 years earlier, Wu forces allied with the Wei forces at Fan Castle, the Wu forces managed to trap and then kill Guan Yu. This caused a huge amount of grief for Liu Bei, who was Shu's ruler, who also was Guan Yu's sworn brother, his other sworn brother, Zhang Fei would later be killed by his own troops, who would flee to join Wu. This enraged Liu Bei so much that he declared war on Wu, and they clashed at Yi Ling in the year 222.

This soundtrack evokes the emotion of revenge. As the motive of the battle was for Shu to avenge Guan Yu and Zhang Fei and destroy Wu in the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2th7qmkjVM

These, both from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2: Time and Darkness. This is right after the you and your Partner defeat Dialga, and you start to fade from existence, because the timeline from which you existed was no longer so. And your Partner is forced to return home alone. Without you, his/her best friend, after having just watched you fade into nothingness.

The second is when he gets to where he first met you, and remembers all the good times the two of you had, before you left his life forever.

There's this, also from Pokemon, but from Black and White, and could be taken as sadder, in the context that solely sadness is portrayed.

And this from the original PMD, similarly themed to the first two videos, in that it follows the Partner losing the Player.

Edited by Flareon
  • Brohoof 1

Again, Zelda, but whatever... feel the feels. Wonderful soundtrack over here ^

Really old, but still... but for a girl who's always wanted to fly, and finally got her dream not in the way she was thinking but still gets to glide in the clouds (if you know what I mean) it hurts you in the feels to.

Probably better for your ears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV-BMn5Pnbs&safe=active

As for bittersweet, these are wonderful too:

These, both from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2: Time and Darkness. This is right after the you and your Partner defeat Dialga, and you start to fade from existence, because the timeline from which you existed was no longer so. And your Partner is forced to return home alone. Without you, his/her best friend, after having just watched you fade into nothingness.

The second is when he gets to where he first met you, and remembers all the good times the two of you had, before you left his life forever.

YES. All of my yes. This is my second saddest video game track, because you just don't see it coming. The game started so welcoming, chibi-like and had the innocent spin-off feel to it, getting you geared up for a pleasant arcade-style strategy game - then it turned into a really thick battle for your life. And you get so close to your adorable partner <3 It was so sad to see my character have to leave my partner Piplup all alone.

I especially loved the end credits. The music combined climactic, bittersweet and finalist moods, it went "There was a price, but you did it! You completed the game!"

Edited by Flipturn ツ
  • Brohoof 1

YES. All of my yes. This is my second saddest video game track, because you just don't see it coming. The game started so welcoming, chibi-like and had the innocent spin-off feel to it, getting you geared up for a pleasant arcade-style strategy game - then it turned into a really thick battle for your life. And you get so close to your adorable partner <3 It was so sad to see my character have to leave my partner Piplup all alone.

I especially loved the end credits. The music combined climactic, bittersweet and finalist moods, it went "There was a price, but you did it! You completed the game!"

IKR? I actually cried the first time I got to that point. Not kidding. I was a Munchlax, and my partner a Turtwig the first time. It's seriously surprising how mature these spin-off Pokemon games end up being. Generally Pokemon are fairly innocent, but PMD 2 was surprisingly deep and had surprisingly dark undertones in general. Surriusly. I wish more Pokemon games, especially the main series ones, would go this way more often.

This music is actually better than your usual sad music too, because it still has a sense of beauty and hope to it that makes just... That much stronger. It actually invokes the fondness and nostalgia that the partner surely feels, mixed in with just the right amount of sadness for it to utterly invoke the strongest sincere case of the feels. Right? This game's soundtrack was masterfully done, just in general.

You don't need words to tell a story. And this music proves that.

Like I said, I just love like every single song from those games. I'm a real sucker for good video game music. Besides that, though, honestly, I'd almost say that I almost like these spinoffs more than the legit series.

Now I seriously want to play PMD 2: Sky again, but I don't know where my DS is, and my XL is broken. So I'll have to settle for FireRed.

Edited by Flareon
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...