Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Windows 7/8 Ponification Guide

~Scootaloo

64 users have voted

1. 1. Would you like me to make a ponification guide for Windows XP?

• Yes
    • No

Windows 7/8 Ponification Guide

Windows 7:

Windows 7 Pony Customization Guide

Before you do any of this: Be sure to back things up just in case. I personally use EaseUS Todo Backup (relax it's free).

Custom Themes

The first thing that you should do to start customizing your computer is to apply a custom theme. I have downloaded quite a few different themes and put them into a single pack (it is 300MB-400MB). The pack has Applejack, Derpy, Fluttershy, Octavia, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Twilight Sparkle, and Vinyl Scratch (they are all very nice in my opinion, but the size is kind of large). If you want you can do a quick Google search for whichever theme you want though I advise you to go on Deviant Art and search [pony name here] windows 7 theme.

How to use:

1) First things first use the patch (file name: UniversalThemePatcher-x64.exe) and simply run it.
2) Done img-1308250-1-biggrin.png

Note: if you don't use the patch then you will not be able to use the custom themes without screwing things up badly.

Pack Download

Windows 7 Orb Changer

You know the little ball in the left hand corner (aka the Start Menu button). I have the mane 6 Start Orbs and I usually change it according to what custom theme I have like if I have my Twilight theme installed then I'll change my orb to her cutie mark.

How to use:

1) Open it up.
2) Click "Change"
3) In the "Orbs" then select the Pony you want (if the .BMP doesn't work then try the .PNG or vice versa).
4) Done!

Orb Changer Download

Log-on Screen Changer

The screen that prompts you for your password should have a blue background which is quite bland in my opinion. To change it you can use a program called "Logon Screen".

Logon Screen Download

Screensaver

A screen saver does what its name implies it saves your screen from suffering from burn in (when the same thing sits too long - look it up if you want). Well why not have a Pony screensaver?! I've only got two though Pinkie Pie trying to get into reality, and Twilight reading (and more).

Screensaver Download

Backgrounds

Of course what computer wouldn't be complete without a great background? you can find pony background easily just go to Google Images and search for whatever you want or better yet go to Deviant Art and search.

Custom Cursors

This is actually one of the easiest things to change when it comes to modding your computer. If you use the computer you're more than likely going to be seeing your cursor all the time so why not instead of a white little cursor we have Twilight Sparkle or Pinkie Pie?

How to use:

1) Download some cursors (download link below)
2) Press the Start Menu and search (in the box) "change how the cursor pointer looks" and click the top result. See here.
3) Follow along:
img-1308250-2-weE3GYf.png
4) Done!

End Result

Download Cursors

Boot Screen Customization

Note: I cannot stress enough to backup your computer with a program such as EaseUS Todo Backup (relax it's free). If you mess up something accidentally then I will not be held responsible so please backup.

Well we all know the Windows 7 Boot Screen (you know the big glowing orb thing). Well let's change it to something better. Follow along:

Download Boot Screen Changer (with a few animations)

Logon Screen Customization

Download Logon Screen Changer

Windows 8:

Windows 8 Pony Customization Guide

Beware: this guide is a WIP (Work in Progress) so if you want to see more additions comment and let me know. I'll add more to this guide later on and maybe make a video img-1308250-3-smile.png.

Bringing the Start Menu back to life

In Windows 8 sadly Microsoft thought it would be a brilliant idea to get rid of the Start Menu to make way for Metro. Thankfully though we have free third party programs like Start Menu 8 that bring it back. Unfortunately the downside is that you cannot select your own custom orbs (as of yet).

Download Start Menu 8

Get some Wallpapers

This is very simple. Just go on either to Google Images or Deviant Art and look for your favorite pony or whatever you want. Then (like in Windows 7) right click on the desktop and click personalization then change your wallpaper or make a slideshow.

Download Twilight Sparkle Wallpaper Pack (a little over 80MB) contains about 30-36 nice backgrounds.

Change Lock Screen (also applies to Start Screen)

In Windows 8 you can actually change it without any third party programs! just go to Metro and click on your avatar (profile icon) and go to personalize. Then find Lock Screen and browse for whatever image you want.

img-1308250-4-MtovYXv.png

Screen Saver

Screen savers (just Google Pinkie Pie screen saver) that were made for Windows 7 usually are compatible with Windows 8. At least this is the case for me.

Note: More will be added later, but just remember backup files.

If you don't like Windows 8:

img-1308250-5-qrAHDFQ.jpg

This is pretty much all three of my blog posts merged together for the sake of making things easier img-1308250-6-smile.png. I added a poll to see if anyone wants me to do an XP guide. Also if anyone wants me to add something post and tell me.

Background Packs (works with just about any OS):

Twilight Sparkle Pack

Pinkie Pie Pack

Assorted (compiled by ??Harmonic Revelations??)

Other:

Also look into Desktop Ponies.

Edited by ~Scootaloo
  • Brohoof 15

While I already had a screensaver, custom cursor, backround, a theme for google chrome and desktop ponies, I never had this other stuff and I never got around to looking up how to do it. So thank you :D

: glad to help and give you some new ideas! most of them customization's are fairly simple, but the one thing that I advise you be careful with is changing the boot animation. Just remember to backup :)

: glad to help and give you some new ideas! most of them customization's are fairly simple, but the one thing that I advise you be careful with is changing the boot animation. Just remember to backup smile.png

I'm a idiot so I didn't back up biggrin.png I restarted my computer because once I changed the orb, the icons on the taskbar went away so I wanted to restart. It worked fine though! but may I suggest to add ''Download desktop ponies'' in this guide? I think a lot of people would love that. ( nothing like having pinkie pie jump across your screen or watching how god damn adorable she is when you tell her to sleep )

This is basically my reaction to how she looked when I told her to stop moving and sleep

awww-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-16

Edited by Gamer Brony

Gamer Brony: glad to help and give you some new ideas! most of them customization's are fairly simple, but the one thing that I advise you be careful with is changing the boot animation. Just remember to backup

These are badass. I got a Pinkie Pie cursor, a Pinkie Pie windows startup and a Pinkie Pie Start menu icon. I might get something more later. Bet you can't guess which pony :P 

A truly epic guide to continuing down the path into madness that is ponies.

*Takes a deep, satisfying puff on pipe*

Like I said, epic guide, but you should totally add changing your start up sound, by the way. My custom start up sound isn't pony-related, but it would be awesome to have Pinkie saying "Hi, I'm Pinkie Pie!" when one starts up their computer.

Just something to consider adding.

This sounds like a pretty cool thing to do, however I'm a closet brony and I'm probably going to avoid doing this.

just wondering, does this work on windows Vista? I assume it probably does, just asking. Since thats what I have(i know crap but yeah :P.)

Looks pretty cool though, good job making it :).

This guide is incredibly shocking, especially since it takes god-like powers to successfully do anything with Windows 8.

I have already ponified my Windows 7 experience drastically, and currently my all-ponies background slideshow is about 2,000 images large.

• Brohoof 1

A truly epic guide to continuing down the path into madness that is ponies.

*Takes a deep, satisfying puff on pipe*

Like I said, epic guide, but you should totally add changing your start up sound, by the way. My custom start up sound isn't pony-related, but it would be awesome to have Pinkie saying "Hi, I'm Pinkie Pie!" when one starts up their computer.

Just something to consider adding.

I'll add it :)

This sounds like a pretty cool thing to do, however I'm a closet brony and I'm probably going to avoid doing this.

just wondering, does this work on windows Vista? I assume it probably does, just asking. Since thats what I have(i know crap but yeah tongue.png.)

Looks pretty cool though, good job making it smile.png.

Be proud of being a brony - it is your computer they have no business judging what you do to it.

This guide is incredibly shocking, especially since it takes god-like powers to successfully do anything with Windows 8.

I have already ponified my Windows 7 experience drastically, and currently my all-ponies background slideshow is about 2,000 images large.

Sorry HR, but really Windows 8 is not the best OS for Ponification as of yet... seeing as all I did here was compile some good tools.

Also you should upload those 2k+ photos so we can all see. Or zip them up:

hJTpCJF.png

^of course don't compress just store XD.

• Brohoof 1

I'll add it img-1309955-1-smile.png

Be proud of being a brony - it is your computer they have no business judging what you do to it.

Sorry HR, but really Windows 8 is not the best OS for Ponification as of yet... seeing as all I did here was compile some good tools.

Also you should upload those 2k+ photos so we can all see. Or zip them up:

img-1309955-2-hJTpCJF.png

^of course don't compress just store XD.

I will do just that, also, I run Windows 7 Home Premium, not Windows 8.

I only know of Windows 8 because my brother is unfortunate enough to own a computer that runs it, poor sap.

I will in fact zip up the pictures and upload them soon. Since they are HD and quite large files, I think I'll just pick the best to avoid having an absolutely huge upload. Plus I have a bunch that aren't really that good/are too similar to each other, so I picked the ones I'd recommend to everyone. I'm uploading them now.

Edit" I have finally done it. I have compiled the best pony wallpapers I could find, and put them into a simple pack. This only covers a fraction of the wallpapers in my collection, but they are the best.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8xg66naxb80ilsx

Edited by ┼☼Harmonic Revelations☼┼

: Nice smile.png. I re-uploaded the .zip to a more reliable hosting site (mediafire has a bad habit of deleting files/accounts tongue.png).

Here is the link: http://filewinds.com/833d8h2v885q/Wallpaper_slideshow.zip.html

So yeah, if you want to do so, if you like the Wallpaper choice and what-not, feel free to use the pack in your guide for customization. Most of those Wallpapers are HD, which is really nice.

I'm so sad, I can't use MLP themes, backgrounds, start orb things, etc. because the only computer I have is my school laptop, and teachers and people behind me (I sit in the front of the class) would ask about it.

@Eragonrde12: Meh. It is yours to use, and all of these modifications can be rolled back with ease. Who cares if your peers see your kick ass Ponified computer?

Updates

I added a Pinkie Pie wallpaper pack to the first post smile.png

Yeah, I might do it then, also I'm HOPING to build a computer that can run games faster than my sucky school laptop. Now where's a fast way for 2 13-year-olds (I'm doing this with a friend) to earn over $1,000huh.png?

EDIT: actually for any of this to actually run I need administrator password permission, and the computer guy at my school probably won't do the password just so I can ponify my school laptop.sad.png

Edited by Eragonrde12

Wow, this looks cool. I'm definitely going to put this onto my laptop in the morning ;)

I've always wanted to go deeper into customizing my laptop, but I've always been too lazy to look up how lol.

I did nearly everthing whats possible I even changed my error sounds and changed my destop icons to ponies!

And I just love the Desktop Ponies I have RD Walking all over my screen the whole day !

Your thread was realy helpful thanks! img-1317440-1-laugh.png

Edited by RollingPony

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My family shares a computer. we each have our own user but my question is will any of these carry on to other user because my dad hates mlp and will get all pissy if it carries on to his

an account would be set with one theme. It would be changed when the user is switched. But administrator permission is needed to install the themes.

But Windows 8 is very hard to hack open and change the files to the theme you like. So idk whether I should go for Windows 8 when I get a new computer as I want my computer ponified.

Edited by JasperLee93 -Loyalty

an account would be set with one theme. It would be changed when the user is switched. But administrator permission is needed to install the themes.

But Windows 8 is very hard to hack open and change the files to the theme you like. So idk whether I should go for Windows 8 when I get a new computer as I want my computer ponified.

You just zombied a thread. I recommend against it; make sure to check the post dates.

In-topic, Windows 8 can be a pain to customize, but it is vastly better than Windows 7 in terms of stability and performance, at least in my experience. It may be worth the trouble.

I have everything ponified on my PC including the Windows orb, except for logon/start up screen.

I'll be doing the log in screen soon.

You just zombied a thread. I recommend against it; make sure to check the post dates.

In-topic, Windows 8 can be a pain to customize, but it is vastly better than Windows 7 in terms of stability and performance, at least in my experience. It may be worth the trouble.

If you read the forum rules /FAQ it's actually encouraged to necro threads.

Great set of guides! Although I knew how to do a few of the modifications already, there were some that I hadn't taken the time to look up or learn about. I'm very happy with my new Pinkie Pie cursor. I'm surprised there isn't a guide for changing sounds. That was the first thing I did when I was in the mood for customizing my OS.