Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Going Vegetarian

Circadian

Oh boy. An edgy vegetarian!

Look at our teeth. We're meant to be omnivores. Eating both meat and vegetables. If we were supposed to only eat vegetables, we wouldn't have four fangs.

You don't know how much meat helps the system, especially the protein. Please refrain to make stupid and baseless facts as your 'points' to prove that meat is bad.

Also:

5) Eating meat causes death to other animals, obviously. And, despite attempts to make slaughter "humane", whether it be "kosher", "halal" or otherwise, it quite probably, or even certainly, causes stress and pain as well.

Boy, you just went full PETA here.

>MUH ANIMAL FEELINGS! EATING MEAT KILLS ANIMALS!!! ;__;

Oh, boo-freaking-hoo. What do you want? People to kill cows with hugs and kisses? Kill chickens while snuggling them? Are lions nice to deers when they're hunting them? No.

Why don't you complain that eating vegetables kills plants, huh? Because plants don't feel or show emotions? Double standards!

I'm feeling in a particularly unfortunate mood at the moment. And this isn't aimed directly at you, don't worry.

STOP. BEING. JERKS.

It's a lifestyle change. He's changed his lifestyle and feels honestly better for it. Now, he can't understand why we don't want to change ours, and is continually frustrated by people like us who simply won't change because meat tastes too good.

You have differing lifestyle opinions - fine! He chooses to eat spinach leaves and we choose to eat bacon - fine! Yes, the first post is preachy. He's up on a soapbox. Boo hoo. Skip it.

He's not forcing you to change your lifestyle. He can't reach through your computer screen and choke you and say, "If you eat another chicken nugget again, I'll kill you!" He's giving you reasons why you should switch to his healthier lifestyle.

Here's the reality folks: Things you read on the internet can't make you change your way of thinking. Text is a fluctuating, liquid thing that can be twisted as many ways as it's typed. It can't slap you on the cheek and go, "EAT VEGGIES OR DIE!" It's text. And it can be as harmful or as harmless as we interpret it.

Instead of looking at the words typed, look at the person behind the words. He's a grown man who's made life changing decisions that were probably difficult for him to make. You love eating meat - I love eating meat! Imagine giving up that meat because you fear for your health or the well-being of other animals. That would be a hugely difficult thing to do, and he did it. Now he's gotten his reward - he's healthier, he feels better about himself, and maybe he'll live longer. Who knows. And he's thinking, "Wow, if I can feel this good, maybe other people can!"* So he goes to an online forum board and posts this. Six bulletpoints running down why people should stop eating meat.

Why are we getting our panties (or briefs) in such a twist? The first post I made on this thread was completely for laughs, and that's still my opinion. We have opposing lifestyles, and opposing worldviews. Why does it matter?

He knows now that he can't convert people to his way of thinking because the idea of giving up something that's a staple of our lives and something we love so very much is abhorrent to us. But he's going to keep it up here because maybe someone will look at it and go, "You know, I have been eating a lot of meat lately. Maybe I should start cutting down."

Ugh. I'm sorry for ranting, I've visited some very upsetting websites today and been having a rather unpleasant afternoon. Nothing against you personally.

• Brohoof 5

I'm feeling in a particularly unfortunate mood at the moment. And this isn't aimed directly at you, don't worry.

STOP. BEING. JERKS.

It's a lifestyle change. He's changed his lifestyle and feels honestly better for it. Now, he can't understand why we don't want to change ours, and is continually frustrated by people like us who simply won't change because meat tastes too good.

You have differing lifestyle opinions - fine! He chooses to eat spinach leaves and we choose to eat bacon - fine! Yes, the first post is preachy. He's up on a soapbox. Boo hoo. Skip it.

He's not forcing you to change your lifestyle. He can't reach through your computer screen and choke you and say, "If you eat another chicken nugget again, I'll kill you!" He's giving you reasons why you should switch to his healthier lifestyle.

Here's the reality folks: Things you read on the internet can't make you change your way of thinking. Text is a fluctuating, liquid thing that can be twisted as many ways as it's typed. It can't slap you on the cheek and go, "EAT VEGGIES OR DIE!" It's text. And it can be as harmful or as harmless as we interpret it.

Instead of looking at the words typed, look at the person behind the words. He's a grown man who's made life changing decisions that were probably difficult for him to make. You love eating meat - I love eating meat! Imagine giving up that meat because you fear for your health or the well-being of other animals. That would be a hugely difficult thing to do, and he did it. Now he's gotten his reward - he's healthier, he feels better about himself, and maybe he'll live longer. Who knows. And he's thinking, "Wow, if I can feel this good, maybe other people can!"* So he goes to an online forum board and posts this. Six bulletpoints running down why people should stop eating meat.

Why are we getting our panties (or briefs) in such a twist? The first post I made on this thread was completely for laughs, and that's still my opinion. We have opposing lifestyles, and opposing worldviews. Why does it matter?

He knows now that he can't convert people to his way of thinking because the idea of giving up something that's a staple of our lives and something we love so very much is abhorrent to us. But he's going to keep it up here because maybe someone will look at it and go, "You know, I have been eating a lot of meat lately. Maybe I should start cutting down."

Ugh. I'm sorry for ranting, I've visited some very upsetting websites today and been having a rather unpleasant afternoon. Nothing against you personally.

I'm not trying to change his mind or criticizing him for being a vegetarian.

I'm only bothered because of the arrogant way in which he expressed his opinions.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not trying to change his mind or criticizing him for being a vegetarian.

Oh boy. An edgy vegetarian!

-snip-

Boy, you just went full PETA here.

>MUH ANIMAL FEELINGS! EATING MEAT KILLS ANIMALS!!! ;__;

Oh, boo-freaking-hoo. What do you want? People to kill cows with hugs and kisses? Kill chickens while snuggling them? Are lions nice to deers when they're hunting them? No.

Why don't you complain that eating vegetables kills plants, huh? Because plants don't feel or show emotions? Double standards!

You know what, I'm very sorry. That was a perfectly polite, non-critical post, and completely un-insulting whatsoever.

#headdesk

Yes, he's got an arrogant way of expressing his opinions. Humans, as a tendency, will do this. I tend to be arrogant occasionally when I'm talking about my opinions. He sees vegetarianism as a difficult life choice, and he made it, and now he's delighted about it.

I say good for him. Good for him for trying to make people be healthier! Yeah, he's conceited about it, but that tends to come through more strongly in text than almost any other emotion, especially when he knows the subject matter.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some fried chicken in the refrigerator that I'm going to go munch on.

• Brohoof 2

Have you ever seen a Vegan body builder?........ Neither have i. And theres probably a good reason for this.

MEAT builds muscle BETTER than VEGES!!!!

Ever see the Blue Buffalo pet food commercials?...... It basically says that to much plant proteins in ones diet is bad for carnivores and omnivores.

• Brohoof 1

Meat is damn delicious. I mean, look at this plump, juicy steak.

Steak.jpg

The fact that you're telling me I shouldn't eat meat just because it's "cruel to animals" is absurd. It's the way nature works. Do you think a hungry/desperate pack of wolves or something would hesitate to hunt you down because of it's moral values?

Edited by Mio Nishizono
  • Brohoof 3

We do need meat as part of a BALANCED diet. Fact: vegetarians are more likey to die six years before a non-vegetarian. Not biased, my vegetarian friend told me that!

I'd like to see a source on that. Everything I've read about going vegetarian (as long as you get proper nutrition) points to increased longevity.

Because plants aren't conscious. They don't have a consciousness. Besides, the reason trees have fruit is so that animals will eat it to spread the seeds.

Animals don't exist to feed us, they exist for whatever reason, nature, god made them, whatever. They exist to live and breathe and thrive, and yes, become food for predators. They do not exist solely to feed us, and I think it's rather disgusting that you think so.

Exactly. I can condone hunting. I'm not going to do it, but I can respect it.

My point is that since humanity seems to consider itself special, I think humans should be strive to rise above those baseless animal instincts. I mean, come on! We should know better!

If I don't say something, then that means I just stood by while all of these horrible things happened. In my opinion, future humans will look back at the things we did and shake their heads. I understand that the world can't change overnight, but if even one person is convinced to try it, I suceeded.

Well, these "horrible things" have kept humans alive, we didn't always kill for us to not starve, especially more now, and possibly in the future, but people still do it, it's a cheaper and easier way to get food, people starving wouldn't care what their food is, as long as it's edible and will keep them alive for another day or two (In fact, now that iI think back at the post I typed earlier, I remember little kids used to steal our chickens xD) now that I brought that up, what drived them to do it? Out of their selfish and egoist needs of eating meat? No, while we weren't too approving of little kids stealing our dinner (lol) we knew their intentions. It's edible, they'll take it.

Now, I eat meat, sure, I enjoy vegetables as well, I eat both, because I like both and both are good for me, while some do more than others, they both still manage to keep me satisfied and healthy.

• Brohoof 1

As long as your not frying your meat, or adding fats to it, a Balenced non-vegan diet is just as healthy as, and cheaper than a vegan diet. Have you seen the cost of produce nowadays? Its ridiculous.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Have you ever seen a Vegan body builder?........ Neither have i. And theres probably a good reason for this.

MEAT builds muscle BETTER than VEGES!!!!

Ever see the Blue Buffalo pet food commercials?...... It basically says that to much plant proteins in ones diet is bad for carnivores and omnivores.

Yeah, about that...

The fact that you're telling me I shouldn't eat meat just because it's "cruel to animals" is absurd. It's the way nature works. Do you think a hungry/desperate pack of wolves or something would hesitate to hunt you down because of it's moral values?

You're right, they wouldn't hesitate to hunt me down, and I admit I would do my best to fight back. I'd lose, of course; but I would fight to my last breath none the less.

img-1383317-1-tumblr_lyi487hkPX1r8upkio1

However, we are fully evolved human being that have the capacity to know right from wrong, not wolves.

Edited by Circadian

I'm sorry but I tried not eating meat for about a month and it sucked. Meat is delicious. Salads are, well, not as delicious. :D :D Also killing other animals is part of nature.

• Brohoof 1

As long as your not frying your meat, or adding fats to it, a Balenced non-vegan diet is just as healthy as, and cheaper than a vegan diet. Have you seen the cost of produce nowadays? Its ridiculous.

Yup. I worked in a produce department for five years, and I was a meat eater for most of it.

It's actually cheaper to get vegetarian options. I know because I do it on a weekly basis.

Let me start this post of with a simple message: I'll eat what I want.

How about instead of pressing your own opinion on us, you keep it to yourself. Now, forgive me for any sense of hostility, but I don't like being told what I can and can't do, when I get along just fine with the things you oppose.

Oh, and it's not immoral to eat meat. Humans are animals, and as animals, nature demands that animals do what is necessary to survive, no matter how sophisticated the species. If lions eat zebras, and wolves eat elk, I don't see why humans can't eat cattle or other animals, besides this "immoral" argument you pose. It's nature, it's scary, get over it.

• Brohoof 4

It all comes down to a middle ground. If we all ate meat, then animals would go extinct. If we were all vegetarians, then animals would start overpopulating. Why not just take our halfway point and have done with it?

I know I've made that point before, but right now, 80% of the arguments against vegetarianism in this thread don't escalate beyond "But meat is tasty!". I thought I'd re-add the middle ground reasoning.

Something you all should know. Im sorry but OP is DEAD wrong, no pun intended. You cannot survive without meat and. Our bodies need the proteins to help us develop the muscle and strength needed to live past 70. Ever wonder why most vegetarians ans vegans are so scrawny and unhealthy looking? Its the ones who actually beleive fish isnt meat that are healthy. Only certain vegetables are good for you and kost fruits are fattening according to scientific research. Eating tofu is like the shakes doctors give you in the xray room to xray your lungs. Its the same as eating a big old hunk of straight dry chalk. There are very few minerals but otherwise no nutrutional value. And lettuce is just roughage. Its like eating grass and water mixed that actuallyy tastes goo most of the time. Human beings are OMNIVORES. WE NEED meat. I myself am as strictly carnivore as i possibly can be. Bambi and Thumber are delicious and add years to your life. God made animals the way they are. We were made omnivores, not herbivores. Lets not compromise our diets.for.the sake.of cartoon animals being cute

Remwmber. Meat is COOKED. It DOESNT have a face!

• Brohoof 1

How about instead of pressing your own opinion on us, you keep it to yourself. Now, forgive me for any sense of hostility, but I don't like being told what I can and can't do, when I get along just fine with the things you oppose.

Excuse me? You're on my thread. No offense, but I'll voice my opinion as much as I damn well please.

Humans eat meat because we are omnivores. Also meat is more healthier than tofu or a protein shakes. You get more out of it than artificial protein

Eww... who eats tofu on a regular basis? It's highly processed, and pretty gross except in stir fry.

Beans, chickpeas, almonds, squash, nuts, etc are all way healthier sources of protein. :)

Okay, how is this a popular post again? All I see is a veggie fanatic trying to shove their viewpoint down our throats.

As many have stated, animal eat other animals. Human are animals. If eating meat is 'oh so terrible', then why do our bodies digest it just fine? Provided it is cooked that is. I assume if we were just meant to be vegetarians, we would not have such a massive amount of our species that eats meat just fine.

I love nature and all, but animals eating other animals IS apart of nature. We just have the capability to avoid being eaten by other animals, for the most part.

• Brohoof 2

Look at our teeth.

Our teeth are of herbivorous nature. Yes, we have canines, but very few people have canines that are anything like a carnivore's canines

Eating meat has been proven to shorten human lifespans. 

Our bodies become stressed when digesting meat and they say that humans lose about 10 years of life if they are omnivorous.  Our bodies cannot properly digest meat and thus do not get the nutritional abundance that meat gives to carnivores.

I am not vouching for vegetarians, since I cannot claim to be one.  However, science says these things, so I'd just like to mention them too.  I don't want to be a vegetarian because I like burgers too much to say no, however, I rarely eat meat and such because it is really expensive and as stated, really unnecessary for a fully balanced diet and delicious meals.

Edit:  I can't deny bacon, ever, at all....

That sounds interesting. You do know why other animals also eat meat right? Meat does not shorten our lifespans, nor add stress to our digestion, quite simply because we would not have adapted to eat meat if that was the case. At some point, a few million years ago, the ancestors who consumed other organisms won an important battle, that of survival. It was beneficial to eat meat, and naturally, the beings most efficient at digesting the meat, absorbing all of the nutrients, would survive over the beings that didn't. The genes carried on. You have canine teeth.(yes, not as many as carnivores, but thats because we're omnivores.) You have lost the ability to use your appendix, etc. Humans are perfectly capable of digesting meat efficiently. Otherwise, we wouldn't have adapted to eat it.

This "meat is murder" lark is not a sign of people trying to overcome some sort of fundemental "evilness" applied to humans by humans, but rather a bunch of people trying to adjust their social reputation. Think about it. Would you become a vegan if you were never ever, under any circumstances allowed to display it and tell people about it? No. it's all about telling people. It's about your image. you are genetically programmed to care about what others think of you, because, its a survival instinct. To work succesfully in a group, you must establish your image and person in order to maintain trust,= cooperation.

• Brohoof 1

The Basic Argument

1) Eating meat is not at all required for health.

2) There is no nutrient in meat that cannot be found in a vegetarian diet.

3) There is no disease where eating meat is required for the treatment or cure of the disease.

4) Therefore, eating meat is absolutely unnecessary.

5) Eating meat causes death to other animals, obviously. And, despite attempts to make slaughter "humane", whether it be "kosher", "halal" or otherwise, it quite probably, or even certainly, causes stress and pain as well.

6) There is more than enough cruelty in the world as it is; no sane person can deny this. There is no need to add to the world's cruelty, unnecessarily.

DISCLAIMER: If you are a dependant in your household you probably can't safely make the transition to vegetarian. Those that are considered dependent shouldn't be too hard on themselves. However, you can try making an effort to eat healthier. img-1380400-1-wink.png

Also, some countries haven't developed to the point where people can sustain themselves without meat. Though, if you have the internet, that's probably not the case.

That's ironic. (I think.) 

I am a vegatatrian! Not a vegan, a vegatarian. I eat ice cream. 

It is a good diet. And, here is a shocker, bacon is disgusting!

Nice post. I've been a vegetarian for years, but am constantly bugged by my mom about eating "healthier foods". <___> Funny thing is I seem to be healthier than all my siblings. X3

• Brohoof 1

Excuse me? You're on my thread. No offense, but I'll voice my opinion as much as I damn well please.

It's fine that you voice your opinion, but when you say that everyone should give up on their own desires and agree with yours, simply because of your beliefs, that's when you're going too far, regardless of whether or not you are the thread creator. Oh, and by the way, once you post a thread, it becomes the website's thread, for all to see and reply.

If that is not what you intended, then I am sorry. However, in my eyes, it seemed like that is what you were implying.

Edited by III New Moon III
  • Brohoof 3

Alright I just read the entire thread and I gotta say there's some interesting stuff in here. To be honest I'd probably switch over to being a vegetarian because yeah you guys are right it does kill animals and there really isn't any justification for that other than they taste delicious, which to be brutally honest they freaking do and that's the main reason I'm not is because in my current household everybody prefers meat to vegetables so unless I want to starve to death I'd have to eat the greasy double cheeseburger from five guys.

I realize that animals are alive but so are the plants whose fruit and whose bodies we eat. Its the way of life and nature that if we take and respect the life of another creature it gives life to us. Nature isnt disney. The animals we hunt are driven by pure instinct. Their intelligence tells them they must survive.

But they also know they must eventually die. Just as the fish succums to the eagle and the zebra falls prey to the lions paw, we humans follow in the pawprints of our brothers, the wolves, who taught us many years ago to look into the eyes of our prey as it dies and be thankful for the things it gives to us. To hunt for a meal is to survive. To kill just to kill is to lose yourself to lust. All that we humans

know is one big circle. All creatures are born and we all eat. Grass grows. The herbivores eaters eat the grass. They are eaten by the carnivores and the omnivores. When we die our bodies become the grass and the plants

And the cycle begins again. Its life.

• Brohoof 1

Okay, how is this a popular post again? All I see is a veggie fanatic trying to shove their viewpoint down our throats.

As many have stated, animal eat other animals. Human are animals. If eating meat is 'oh so terrible', then why do our bodies digest it just fine? Provided it is cooked that is. I assume if we were just meant to be vegetarians, we would not have such a massive amount of our species that eats meat just fine.

I love nature and all, but animals eating other animals IS apart of nature. We just have the capability to avoid being eaten by other animals, for the most part.

Sounds like my brother. XD

AAAANYWAY, I am a vegatarian, (Not a vegan.) and I don't yell out, IM A VEGETARIAN! That would be stupid. XD