Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Vegetarian, Vegan, Pescetarian?

Meeps

Does anyone here subscribe to one of the above ways of eating? Why/what got you into such a diet choice, or were you raised on it? Do you think you'll continue on eating the way you do for the rest of your life?

Just wondering if anyone here is a vegan, vegetarian, pescetarian, or any others! :P

Growing up i pretty much ate anything but recently I have gone off red and white meat such as chicken and steak. I do like my seafood but I generally don't eat meat that much. Once every 2 weeks I'll have meat, at the most. I usually have big feeds of fish when I go camping but that's pretty much it. 

• Brohoof 2

I tried vegetarian for a while because I don't like the inhumane ways they kill animals, but a combination of lack of control of my diet and lack of commitment meant I had to stop. But when I move out on my own, I plan on eating vegetarian at least one month a year. I have a lot of respect for people who can eat like that consistently.

• Brohoof 3

I eat what I want, whenever I want tbh. I don't really see a point in limiting myself.

I need my meat, not just because i like to eat it, but meat actually has certain things that fruits and vegetables don't have, like a high rate of proteins, which are important for the building of your muscles and organs.

Not saying that you shouldn't eat fruits and vegetables, but meat is more important then some people might believe.

• Brohoof 1

I've been a vegetarian since may of this year but I gave up eggs and dairy in june.  I feel a bit better about myself and have lost 10 pounds since then, I honestly can't tell you why I became a vegetarian, it just felt like the right thing to do at the time.

• Brohoof 3

Actually, when it comes to meat, I don't eat beef! Hot dog pork, and chicken, yes, but no seafood!

Carrots, celery, lettuce broccoli are my favorite veggies, but no tomatoes or spinach!

Any kind of pasta is still my most favorite type of food! If put in a spaghetti factory, I'd have the whole emptied out by the end of the day!

12 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Actually, when it comes to meat, I don't eat beef! Hot dog pork, and chicken, yes, but no seafood!

Carrots, celery, lettuce broccoli are my favorite veggies, but no tomatoes or spinach!

Any kind of pasta is still my most favorite type of food! If put in a spaghetti factory, I'd have the whole emptied out by the end of the day!

So your eating habits are all based on taste? Or do you hate the texture of foods like tomatoes?

16 hours ago, ShadowDash13 said:

I tried vegetarian for a while because I don't like the inhumane ways they kill animals, but a combination of lack of control of my diet and lack of commitment meant I had to stop. But when I move out on my own, I plan on eating vegetarian at least one month a year. I have a lot of respect for people who can eat like that consistently.

That honesty though! It's cool that you decided to try something new, even if it didn't work out for you. Did you find you felt any different when you tried vegetarian? I do know of a few people who only eat free range/grass fed animals raised by farmers they know, but I understand that this way of eating meat can be both costly and inacessible to some people! 

12 hours ago, Thuja said:

I've been a vegetarian since may of this year but I gave up eggs and dairy in june.  I feel a bit better about myself and have lost 10 pounds since then, I honestly can't tell you why I became a vegetarian, it just felt like the right thing to do at the time.

Do you work out at all, or do you attribute the weight loss to your diet? When I was vegetarian/pescetarian, my activity levels were the same, but I was a lean, mean machine. I felt "lighter" than I do now that I'm back to being an omnivore, and I honestly kind of miss the feeling!

12 hours ago, Dukefancypants said:

I never ate meat in my life I gave up eggs three years ago

If you don't mind me asking, does not eating meat have to do with a religion for you?

(edited)

Don't plants technically feel pain? The smell of freshly cut grass is the blades of grass screaming in agony getting lawn-mowed.

Either way, I eat both meat and vegetables. I would love to see if there's a vegetable dish out there that tastes better than meat dishes. My problem every now and then with vegetables has always been the taste or lack therof in comparison to meat.

Since I adhere to my religion, meat eating is restricted. I can't eat pork, an animal that is not slaughtered under my religious practices, and an animal that is already dead. The animal must be slaughtered for our sustenance with respect that its a creation of The God of Abraham just as much as Humans under the religious practices I adhere to.

So, I eat meat on a conservative basis. But, I would be happy and willing for Vegans and Vegetarians to craft the finest vegetable-based delicacies so I can focus my diet on eating that mostly.

Edited by ZethaPonderer
  • Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Meeps said:

Do you work out at all, or do you attribute the weight loss to your diet? When I was vegetarian/pescetarian, my activity levels were the same, but I was a lean, mean machine. I felt "lighter" than I do now that I'm back to being an omnivore, and I honestly kind of miss the feeling!

Just from diet, I haven't worked out since earlier this year.  I haven't changed anything but my diet.

• Brohoof 1

My sister is actually a Vegetarian,but as for me,No,I am not.

But I do prefer to eat things with more vegetables,Because I really don't like to gain weight from eating any type of fattening meat.

On July 30, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Lucky Bolt said:

I eat anything really, although I limit myself on the fattening/unhealthy stuff 

same here ^_^

On 7/30/2017 at 8:21 AM, Niko said:

I eat what I want, whenever I want tbh. I don't really see a point in limiting myself.

Out of curiosity, what's your favorite food?

1 hour ago, Meeps said:

Out of curiosity, what's your favorite food?

Uh that's a really difficult question to answer really. I can really eat anything, but the fast food stuff is where it's at I think.

1 hour ago, Princess Moony said:

Speaking of vegetarians :adorkable:I just found out,that japan used to be a vegetarian country thanks to a religion >~> they didn't eat meat for 1,200 years until westerners came >~< Here's a link to a article :wacko:

https://www.kikkoman.co.jp/kiifc/foodculture/pdf_09/e_002_008.pdf

Very interesting, I guess it also had something to do with Buddhism. I think a lot of cultures, especially in the past, had much more veggie-based diets than we do now simply because many people raised their own food and couldn't afford /didn't want to consume too much.

• Brohoof 1

Speaking of vegetarians :adorkable:I just found out,that japan used to be a vegetarian country thanks to a religion >~> they didn't eat meat for 1,200 years until westerners came >~< Here's a link to a article :wacko:

In India they do not eat meat for even longer time.

• Brohoof 1

It's pretty interesting seeing all the varied answers and looking at the numbers based on religion/personal choice/culture.

On 8/9/2017 at 1:02 AM, Fluttershy Friend said:

In India they do not eat meat for even longer time.

True, not sure if all of India or just parts of it though.

• Brohoof 1

It doesn't help. Unless you want less oxygen to your blood cells (which means you will get sleepy most of the time). b12 vitamins is in meat, unless you wanna get it from shots or b12 pills in medicine considering some vegetarians argue that it exists in bacteria so that way some avoid it. But then again if you choose that lifestyle you have to live with it for the rest of your life, which i assume some can do by taking it in tablet forms of some sort each day. (whether this actual have functional bi effects i have zero idea about but i'm not gonna try it to find out)

Thats atleast what i read online. So either way if you are serious about this then atleast see a doctor and hear about it, don't start your own course, b12 is essentially important. Whether this is healthy or not i have no idea about. Or you can just ignore it and just eat meat, healthy ones atleast.

In either case eat when you need to and live a good healthy life that way.

Edited by SunshineFlow
  • Brohoof 1

On 9.8.2017 at 5:08 AM, Princess Moony said:

https://www.kikkoman.co.jp/kiifc/foodculture/pdf_09/e_002_008.pdf

That seems impossible to me. I mean refraining ok maybe thats possible but your body needs b12 which essentially is either in meat or dairy products (though i can't stand dairy products to be honest) but atleast for a religious buddhist it would work. I can't imagine samurais fighting in that state, they would essentially feel sleepy if they atleast didn't eat right

Though i have heard Buddhism in terms of religion is vegetarian, how in some forms i have no idea about. Like do they eat dairy products for example? I am a tad bit ignorant on it, but i doubt japanese soldiers would all be buddhists, and isn't Japan's state religion Shintoism. Thats not buddhism, even if buddhism has had a impact too on Japanese culture

Either case here is a link for it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_vegetarianism#Japanese_traditions

Blaming westerners for. Imperialism, bigotry, intolerance and racism in the past before after WW2 when self reflection and owning up to mistakes became a thing. Ok that i can sort of get. But the food ethics i am sorry thats a bit too much XD

I also read this if buddhism originally prohibeted meat and if it was very pro vegetarianism as some vegans would say. The answer seems to be "maybe, maybe not" its not clear really.. For example what animals is allowed to eat, what intentions you have seems to be the moral compass really. The sects divided over it so it seems to depend how seriously you take it. To me it doesn't seem to really be about vegetarianism, it just seems to give up material goods and live a simple life and be a grateful humble human being. Which is why it says "if something is slaughtered to give food to a village or family its ok". So it really just depends how you see it.
https://www.thoughtco.com/buddhism-and-vegetarianism-449731

Atleast it condemns extremist attitude towards the goal. But really i think calling buddhism vegan would just be misleading since the goal is much more bigger than an agenda rule of thumb. I just recommend reading that link if you wanna know about it. Its very informative.

Edited by SunshineFlow