Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Prog Genre?

ASocialyAwkwardPony

It seems we miss a genre section for Prog which I think would have been a nice addition. Putting it into Rock or Metal just doesn't cut it sometimes after all when there is too many tempo shifts for Rock yet not enough double kick pedal for Metal. Also a genre section for Ambient perhaps?

Not a bad idea. There's not a ton of prog tbf but there may be enough of it to discern and add it here. That include post-rock stuff as well (again, not a lot of it). Was just commenting that I've been making some pony funk/disco and yet I've never recommended adding those here.

We DO have downtempo which technically would include ambient.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I talked to a friend who also recommended Prog. An addition to pony.fm for that may be of use to several people.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

• 5 weeks later...
(edited)

This thread makes me very happy. Prepare to be overloaded with Pink Floyd. Began as Psychedelic and morphed into Rock, both under progressive respectively.

Take a guess at which one this falls under. 

And some from Dark Side after the transition.

Don't worry, People will come.

It seems we miss a genre section for Prog which I think would have been a nice addition. Putting it into Rock or Metal just doesn't cut it sometimes after all when there is too many tempo shifts for Rock yet not enough double kick pedal for Metal. Also a genre section for Ambient perhaps?

There is already a thread that encompasses Ambient. I think it is called Soundgarden's Chillout thread.

Edited by Dark Moon

This thread makes me very happy. Prepare to be overloaded with Pink Floyd. Began as Psychedelic and morphed into Rock, both under progressive respectively.

I am very sorry but I think you are misunderstanding my thread's intent. I am asking for the Pony.fm site to have it's own category for Prog music seeing how I already have a bunch of songs uploaded that I consider Prog in various forms and that it would give a easy categorization choice for any future musicians who would like to put up Prog songs. Sorry for the disappointment this fact probably makes for you =/

You should make a song thread for posting Prog songs in wherever one would do that on this forum though, would always be a good thing to have even if it wouldn't be the most active thread perhaps

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Prog is generally pretty open ended genre. Generally meaning that its a mix of rock AND electronics, often changing frequently and PROGressing with many changes as it plays on. While there is progressive house and trance, prog by itself is generally a rock oriented term and comes out from when the Beatles and Floyd really started adding the artistic concepts and then bands like Yes and King Crimson kinda made them overblown. Bands like Flaming Lips and others have kind of made it synonymous with alternative although Prog is still often used today and suitable term.

Artists like And the Rainfall (my bff) make plenty of prog-ish music tbh. I'd include it here. There's not a ton of it mind you but there's enough to justify its addition i would say.

Edited by Freewave

(edited)

What Freewave said, also artists like Tarby goes into Prog at times:

Other world famous Prog bands include Rush, Kansas, Dream Theater, Jethro Tull, Genesis and Tool just to have mentioned those.

Edited by Nightmare Lyre

• 3 weeks later...