Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your favourite music genre and why?

XxdarkrushxX

Most people have a reason for liking the music. They like certain genres because it speaks to them as well as says something about them. What genre do you mainly listen to and why?

Ill go first, I am into mostly chillstep and chill electronic because i love layered sounds and a calming and laid back atmosphere

• Brohoof 1

I have an unhealthy obsession with country music which I feel is grossly underrated. I especially love modern and pop country. I'm really sick and tired of people hating on it though. Like, yes, classic country is great and all and props to you for listening to it but y'all don't need to bash those of us who like modern country just because to you it "isN'T reaL CountRy MusIc" :dry:

I'm also tired of people hating on country music as a whole and bi**hing and whining that it's "all they hear on the radio" Don't listen to the radio then! :laugh: 

• Brohoof 1

Used to be Rock and Metal / stuff like that (REAL rock, none of this softcore stuff. IMO: a song having a guitar in it somewhere =/= Rock, and The Beatles aren't really rock either.)

But now I find myself listening to basically nothing but Orchestral stuff...or to be more specific: Video Game soundtracks, classical music / stuff like Beethoven bores me.

My favorite pop genres are Progressive/Psychedelic Rock, Classic R&B/Soul (60s/70s), British Folk/Rock, Soft Rock (70s, it turned into something else after that), and I like some Baroque Pop, too (usually the type that emphasizes actual Baroque instruments like oboe and harpsichord). On the classical side, my favorite eras are Baroque, French Impressionism, Early Music, Classic, and some late 19th/early 20th century styles.

A lot of my enjoyment for music comes from the instruments used, although that isn't the main reason for my love for some of the genres. It's one big reason I like the 60s and 70s so much in music. It was an era before the synthesizer became too mainstream and bands/groups/artists seemed to value having a variety of instruments in their music. Even the ones who didn't were rather subdued with the electronic aspects, keeping it mainly to electric guitar, bass, and the hammond organ, which are all electronic instruments that jive together really well, IMO. Progressive/Psychedelic Rock sometimes/often use more synthesizer, but I tend to like them for completely different reasons from the rest and/or find the use of synthesizers to be appropriate and neat. And plus I'm not always that harsh (there's some 80s pop that is so 80s that I actually like for example) but when I hear today's pop music over the radio there's like nothing about it that isn't electronic and it is just revolting to me.

Anyway, my enjoyment of the classical genres can actually differ quite a bit, there is a combination of instrumentation and more behind my love for each era:

Baroque: This one is very much a combination. I like the prominence of the oboe (of course!) and I love the harpsichord. I prefer the sound of it over the piano. However, Baroque music has so much more to it that makes me love it, namely the extensive and just amazing use of counterpoint and also the preference for minor keys over major keys.

Early Music: Lumping this all together is probably not for the best, as like Medieval choral music is a completely different animal from instrumental dances of the Renaissance and I love both. Beyond the Renaissance choral music (which is just heavenly gorgeous), the rest took a lot of getting used to for me, but in the end, I'd say a lot of what draws me toward Early Music is the modality and the unsettling cadences/uses of dissonance.

French Impressionism: Debussy made his music centered around beauty. So many conventions that had been built up over the centuries were tossed aside. However, Impressionism really expanded the horizons. Modality returned, as did some very Eastern influences. The instrumentation also became less bombastic versus the Romanticism era. As I said, it's all about beauty.

Classic: This was (aside from some Baroque) the bulk of my first experience with classical music. Classic era music is just a pleasure to listen to. That's not to say that it never does anything unique (the symphonies of Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven all became increasingly complex in their lifetimes), but it lacks the bombast of the Romanticism era that followed.

Late 19th/Early 20th century: Like Early Music, a lot of this took a lot of getting used to. Not so much the music of say Holst or Vaughan-Williams, who were very British and very British Folk influenced. But stuff like Stravinsky. The first time I heard Rite of Spring, there was no way I though I was going to ever care for it. It was just so wild. I heard of it only because of the famous bassoon solo in the beginning, but then I got to play the piece and that's when I began to become won over. Especially the beginning of Part II, which is just peak beauty for the Stravinsky style (alongside parts of Firebird). I love the music I love from this era, but what followed it kind of takes it down for me. Music got a bit too...atonal after this. lol

4 hours ago, Lucky Bells said:

I'm also tired of people hating on country music as a whole and bi**hing and whining that it's "all they hear on the radio" Don't listen to the radio then! 

I would never willingly listen to a station that plays country music. The problem is that country music has always been forced on me in circumstances where I can't get away from it, like my workplace. We're not allowed to wear headphones to block out the crappy music they play over the stereos, so when they play country music (and they do frequently) we have to deal with it.

Everyone having their own tastes in music is great! I just think that country is such a love it or hate it genre and should not be played in general public spaces like Target or Walmart. I have genres that I adore that I also would understand people finding them grating if they were played in public places (Early Music, British Folk. etc.). I understand that those genres won't be played when I go out to public places. Country music should be no different.

I mean, if I go to the restaurant Texas Roadhouse and they're playing country music, that's one thing. It is a stereotypical 'country' restaurant. I understand it there... But as I said, Target? Can we not... Please?

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Envy said:

Everyone having their own tastes in music is great! I just think that country is such a love it or hate it genre and should not be played in general public spaces like Target or Walmart. I have genres that I adore that I also would understand people finding them grating if they were played in public places (Early Music, British Folk. etc.). I understand that those genres won't be played when I go out to public places. Country music should be no different.

I mean, if I go to the restaurant Texas Roadhouse and they're playing country music, that's one thing. It is a stereotypical 'country' restaurant. I understand it there... But as I said, Target? Can we not... Please?

Okay.....well, you do make a fair point I guess. :LunaMCM:

• Brohoof 1

I love a very wide range of what alternative rock has to offer, as well as a fair amount of other music that could be classified as "rock" from across the past several decades. I love guitar-based music, just that classic formula of vocals, guitar(s), bass, drums, and the optional keyboards/synths. There are a few more experimental exceptions that I love, such as Radiohead, but I just dig the sound in general.

I love some other genres, like synthwave, classic country, ambient, a bit of metal, a bit of blues, a bit of electronica, a bit of chiptune, a bit of classical/orchestral... I'm getting into J-Pop as well... but rock, especially alternative, is near and dear to me.

7 hours ago, Splashee said:

Video game music! Yes, the cute and catchy ones!

I like that too, but I really like rock cause it’s energetic, catchy, and sometimes it helps to relieve my anger (and sometimes I feel like a rebel listening to songs with a bit of screaming in them :Daydreaming:)

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t necessarily have a favorite genre of music. If I hear a song that I like, I download it. I don’t pay attention to the genre it falls under. I do really enjoy Chillstep, though!

Three main ones; Jazz/swing, rock, and Opera/classic why?

Expanding-Brain.thumb.jpg.a0fdbac2e0198cea1a194d1d49996696.jpg

My sub is indie, foreign, funk/pop, and anthem 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...

I listen to a wide variety of music, but my go-to is classic rock.  It's music I grew up with and takes me back to simpler times in my life.  

• Brohoof 1

Rock is my go-to. Mostly because it's something I can load up at anything and unwind with. I have to been in a certain mood for some other genres. :rarity:

• Brohoof 1

• The title was changed to Your favourite music genre and why?
(edited)

Drum and bass, it's the most versatile EDM genre by far. And dunno it captures my attention more often than other genres which I still love

Of course it started as rave and club but it's been influenced by everything from rock to funk to bossa nova and even orchestra.

Hmm, kinda want to see if someone's done surf rock with dnb yet :ooh:

Edited by Trot Shuffle
Accidentally removed a sentence :3
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...