Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favourite Musical Instrument

Celtore

So I was playing my clarinet a bit earlier today and I wondered what everypony else's favourite instrument was. I checked for any older topics and I couldnt seem to find one, so here we are now!

While instinctively I would go with the clarinet after playing it for six to seven years, I have to say that the violin has to be my favourite instrument. I tried practicing with a cheap violin, but I didn't really have the time to actually master it. I was already playing the clarinet and you know, picking up a new instrument during exam period in high school is not a good idea.

None the less, I really like the sound of the violin and really just any string in general. In high school, I was in the school band and it was one of two musical groups, the other being the string section. I used to sit outside the door listening to how great their music sounded on the way to my math class. It just always sounded great and I could tell they put a lot of effort into it compared to my group.

So anyway, time to open the floor. It doesn't matter if you play this instrument or even if it's something a little more unique like the theremin. If you like a certain instrument, feel free to post about it and explain (or not) why you like it.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 4

i keep changing my favorite instrument. First it was the guitar due to the way i could express myself. Then I changed it to the piano due to the constant finger moving. Then i switched over to the accordion for some reason. Right now im really digging the drums with the double kick peddle. I can switch from heavy metal to freestyle rapping which is a nice refreshing change of pace.

• Brohoof 2

Oh man this is tough for me. I'd have to go with the piano. I took lessons when I was in 4th-6th grade, but after that I quit. However, seeing how I have perfect pitch, and intermediate piano-playing skills, I'm able to play nicely-sounding things from improvisation. I also play the guitar, but I'm much better at the piano. And then I've always loved the Tuba. I played it in the Middle School band, but it became a pain in the ass to haul around.

I'd say the piano is my favorite instrument.

• Brohoof 1

I can't pick just one! I'd say my top favorites are the ones displayed in my signature banner, and pretty much in that order as well. It's actually very hard for me to put them in order at this point, so the order is actually in playing them: Bassoon is my main instrument, tenor saxophone I'm learning, and oboe I'm not yet learning. lol

Bassoon used to definitively be my favorite instrument. However, oddly enough before I even began playing it, I fell in love with the saxophone and oboe. This was not expected, especially not with the saxophone. For my first woodwind I chose clarinet over saxophone because I just didn't think I liked the saxophone. However, then I played it just a little bit and I have never understood why I was so closed to it at first. I ended up not really liking the clarinet. As for the oboe, it just kind of came. Oddly enough I may have to credit Les Miserables for that, because I became obsessed with that musical, and it featured a lot of oboe (and English horn, but I didn't know that at the time, I thought they were the same thing), and that made me realized exactly how amazing the oboe sounded.

When I say those are my favorite three instruments, I should probably specify further as they are actually families of instruments... So these are my favorites of the families:

1. Bassoon

2. Tenor Saxophone

- Baritone Saxophone

- Alto Saxophone

3. English horn

- Baroque Oboe

- Oboe

Even though the bassoon is my main instrument and I don't plan on ever changing that, I now believe that the English horn is the most beautiful of the instruments. I recently found out that the origin of the title "English horn" actually isn't that it's of English origin; it's not. Apparently it getting to being called "English" was a corruption of what it, or a predecessor, was once called... Angel's horn. That's where I was going with all of that... xD

It's a fitting title. When I first heard the instrument I was really fascinated by it because to me when played in a certain range it sounded like a combination of a bassoon and oboe, but clearly it has a very distinct sound. And it's sooo beautiful. I wish I had an excuse to play it, but I don't. D:

So those are my top favorite instruments. I really love all woodwind/brass instruments, though. I do not like how underrated and underused they are these days. A band with a consistent trumpet, trombone, saxophone section is pretty much automatically more awesome than any other band for me. =P

Can't believe I just 'promoted' the English horn over my own beloved instrument. I should be ashamed of myself... So here, have some bassoon... my favorite of the concerti for bassoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLTHkGUyzms

• Brohoof 1

Well my favourite instrument to play is the bass guitar or more specifically my electro acoustic bass guitar, after that its my harmonica.

But my favourite instrument over all is the balalaika :)

• Brohoof 2

That is such a hard question because I love so many instruments! But even though it's pretty generic, I adore the piano. I think it has a beautiful sound when it's played right, and the best part is when played with both hands the sound is so full. There is nothing missing in it, it sounds like perfection.

• Brohoof 1

I would have to say the drum set, because I've been playing it for seven years.  I have so much fun whenever I get to play it, and would love to form a band just to play it even more.  I also like the guitar and saxophone, and would like to learn how to play those.  My favorite model of guitar is a tie between the Gibson Les Paul and the Duesenberg Double Cat, and my favorite drum brand is either Remo or Pearl.

• Brohoof 1

I would say the piano, it is sounds beautiful is one of the most versatile instruments around and a lot of fun to play. I first took lessons at age 12 and joined the band and later the jazz band in high school and have composed some songs.

• Brohoof 1

Been a viola player since high school and a violin player since elementary school (currently in college). I am skilled in both but I enjoy the Viola's darker tones more than the Violin's bright pitches. Therefore, viola is my favorite instrument. 

• Brohoof 1

I love synthesizers

I've been only playing them for a little while

But I just love them, the flexibility

And all of the parameters that are tweakable

With knobs, all of those Oscillators, VCOs, ADSRs

Oh yes that's the stuff for me.

And I just love all of the sounds that you can make

With just one synth, and how each synth

Has a different set of parameters to tweak

And even a different sound

It just makes synths the snowflakes of musical instruments

And I also have been considering to pick up my electric guitar again

Since I used to love to play it so much, and I've gotten back into hardcore music

• Brohoof 1

My personal favourite has to be the guitar. I usually prefer acoustics, but I do have a lot of fun with my BC Rich. I've been meaning to pick up other instruments, but there's just something about playing a guitar that really connects with me.

• Brohoof 1

Guitar easily.

But specifically it would be The Ibanez RGA7

Very versatile guitar, really good neck, thin body, comfortable to play, can be left standard or easily drop tuned without need for super thick strings.

Easily my all time favorite guitar.

Plays anything from Avenged Sevenfold to Emmure, and does it excellently.

• Brohoof 2

I'm going to have to go with the piano on this one. Sure it isn't an awesome Rainbow Dash approved instrument (her favorite instrument would probably be the electric guitar, or the drums  :wub:) but the piano goes so well with just about anything.

I began taking piano lessons when I was 7 years old and still continue to play to this day. I've tried learning other instruments like the guitar and the violin, but I always end up going back to the piano.

The piano is the basic instrument that many musicians know how to play. If you can play the piano, then you can learn and master just about any other instrument ^_^.   

• Brohoof 1

Well considering the fact its the only instrument I fluently play I'd have to go with trumpet :P. I never have played much of any other instruments, I mean I have a guitar in my room thats kinda oldish that I play around with, but I have almost no knowledge on playing it :P. I'm working on trying to learn it abit though. I use to be able to play very basic stuff on piano, but my mom sold our piano for whatever reason so yeah :/.

But trumpet is my baby <3 AND NOBODY TOUCHES MY BABY!

Oh and I also thought about learning the drums one time, but considering how terrible I am at Rhythm's and subdividing I just kinda gave up on trying that.

Edited by Zygen
  • Brohoof 1

My favorite instruments are (in no particular order):

The Cello

165px-Cello_front_side.png

The Violin

159px-Violin_VL100.jpg

The Hurdy Gurdy

SH07710E_hurdygurdy.jpg

The Harpsichord

Oman_harpsichord.jpg

The Piano

manufactuer_boston.png

Out of these instruments, I only own a violin. I also have a keyboard, which is kind of like a piano I guess. Plus, it has a couple of harpsichord settings.  :P

• Brohoof 3

Definitely the Bass, More specifically the 5-string electric bass! It's extremely awesome with the one lower string and it perfect for playing metal and rock giving that Low B! Rock on Suckas'!

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
It's gotta' be my computer setup and music. There's nothing like sitting back and letting your thoughts just sort of "explode" onto a canvas of silence.

I enjoy every moment that I have headphones on. :)

Edited by CloudFyre
  • Brohoof 2