Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favourite Musical Instrument

Celtore

I love to listen to the guitar, drums and cello. I've also played the cello in the past. I wish I had a cello so I could play now but I only ever got to play with school-owned instruments and from what I know the cello can be a REALLY expensive instrument to just buy, let alone maintain.

Another thing I love to listen to but isn't strictly an instrument (depending on your definition) is electronic music. I'm particularly a fan of atmospherics.

• Brohoof 1

I used to play the piano when I was younger. I don't play an instrument anymore, but I still love listening to it.

My favorite is probably the drums, though. I'm a huge Foo Fighters fan, and I absolutely love listening to Dave Grohl play the drums like he did on their debut album, and in Nirvana of course.

These are two songs from the aforementioned debut album that I absolutely love the drums on.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oh I guess I didn't put in WHY I love those things.

For guitar, because I listen to metal, I love the visceral feeling I get when hearing them. I absolutely adore the electric guitar used in a lot of metal. Not much one for acoustic guitar but that could just be because a lot of music that uses it doesn't know how to do anything but strum the strings a little. The lack of technicality bogs most acoustic guitar players down.

For drums, they add a definition to everything else. It's like the backbone of the rest of the music. Without drums a lot of metal would sound pretty empty and formless.

For the cello, I love the silky sound when played through notes that are drawn out. The cello is best when played with a slightly somber tone. The way the sound of the cello dips is just so beautiful.

And then there's atmospherics. More often than not they make me feel like I'm flying. Trance being one of my favorite electronic genres I love the way they glide so smoothly through the song and make music breakdown transition so smoothly instead of sounding like a stop and go. Atmospherics are the adhesive that holds Trance together.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 1

I enjoy instrumental jazz, so it's no surprise that I love the saxophone; such a cool instrument.  Wish I owned one (that I would likely struggle to make pleasing sounds with lol).  And my love for the compositions of J.S. Bach ultimately led to my love for the harpsichord.  I'd much rather hear one of Bach's English Suites or a fugue from either book of his The Well-Tempered Clavier performed on harpsichord than on piano.

I can or have played keyboard and sopranino / soprano / alto recorder.  Just...  Not especially well lol.  So I can't claim that any of those rank amongst my favorites.

• Brohoof 1

• 10 months later...

I'd have to go with the piano, mostly due to the fact that I've played it since I was seven years old. It just holds a certain magic in the keys, such that every time I am in a room with a piano my first instinct is to sit down and play it.

In the right hands (not mine), a guitar can also be a magical instrument, so it gets an honorable mention.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Played the clarinet, soon to be taught the drums, and wanting to play the bass guitar :3! Along with the piano.

Edited by Daiy
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

It depends on the mood I'm in, but it's usually either the violin or bagpipes. The problem (not really) with violin is that it can have so many differant moods. With bagpipes, it's either militairy or folk.

Uilleann pipes are best instrument

Edited by TopQuark
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

It depends on the mood I'm in, but it's usually either the violin or bagpipes. The problem (not really) with violin is that it can have so many differant moods. With bagpipes, it's either militairy or folk.

Why not both in one?

I do love my Hurdy Gurdy, no seriously this is the coolest instrument ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypuaJLHK_LQ

Edited by HunterTSN
  • Brohoof 1

Guitar is probably on of my favorite instruments. I really like the way the strings shake in their ways, (A bit weird but still :P)

Other than that I really like the violin but only with when multiple together. Not that I don't like just one violin, I just admire them more in groups when they are like in an orchestra. Such sweet sound!!!!

That's about unless ye count singing as an instrumental way. I like that too :3

• Brohoof 1

If the cutie mark on my OC/Ponysona didn't ring a bell,

The Pipe Organ is my most favourite musical instrument. :)

I loved it ever since I was a toddler for crying out loud.

It was because of these organ solos down below that I love the Pipe Organ so much. I suggest you give them a listen (and watch also. Since the whole performance was also my main inspiration for cinematography and video production):

(From 2:56 - 5:17)

(From 13:48 - 17:36) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW9vL9GEmkU

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 1

Despite metal being my favorite genre of music, the acoustic guitar is a much better instrument than the electric guitar IMO. It's more portable, I like the way it sounds and feels, and acoustic instruments in general are cool.

• Brohoof 1

Bass Guitar. Such an underrated instrument. A lot of times bassists play very simply only to support the guitar, but when played to it's full extent, it's the best there is!

• Brohoof 1