Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Rainbow Dash really overrated

TheMarkz0ne

(edited)

I want to apologize first for traumatizing you all with my series finale idea of the ponies being old and near death. I just thought it would be a wise lesson to tell kids. Also the dynamic of Rainbow fearing that one day she will never fly and break the sound barrier anymore. But enough of that

Pretty much is RD overrated. I can see why she is loved/hated. I think the reason why many people find RD really appealing is because she is some what more human then the others, yeah the other 5 are pretty human. But Rainbow Dash reminds me a lot of myself when I was growing up. I was cocky, liked to show off to get attention and I still have dreams of making a popular graphic novel. not really for the money, but because I want to make my mark on the world, before I am dead. I want to be remembered and that's what Rainbow Dash is basically aspiring to do. She wants to be the best, plain and simple. I think deep inside we all want to WIN. It's human nature. You can watch this excellent video that pushed me to follow my dreams. It's Goku from DBZ, but someone should make a Rainbow version

Like how Ed Edd Eddy sold cartoon network, how Mario sold Nintendo, how Pikachu sold pokemon. Rainbow Dash in my opinion sells MLP

Edited by TheMarkz0ne
  • Brohoof 4

This thread appears to be discussing MLP:FiM in some way, shape or form. Thus, it has been sentenced to Show Discussion.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

More human than the rest?

Eh, No.

More relatable, yes.

I still do consider her overrated, not as much as Fluttershy though, or Derpy >_>

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash has always been my favorite for these reasons. She wants to be the best, to be remembered and loved; but unlike everyone else she is actually willing to work for it.

Sure she may get cocky sometimes, though she can always back it up (Well, most of the time). she is confident, brave and willing to face down any challenge, she is the first person to stick up for you when the chips are down, and above everything else; she is the element of Loyalty. She would never abandon her friends or compromise her closely held ideals; even if it means giving up on her dreams. 

• Brohoof 8

(edited)

Fluttershy is clearly more overratedRainbow Dash is my second favorite pony, and a lot of that comes down to the fact that she's more openly and realistically flawed than the others (same with Best Pony Rarity). She retains lessons and character quirks better than anyone else on the show and she has the most interesting character development outside of Spike.

So yes, I actually think she deserves tons of praise, and to be frank, the presence of so many threads talking about whether she is a hated character or not means she probably isn't overrated. Just depends on which character you like more.

Oh, and she's the most iconic and marketable character outside of Twilight, so of course Hasbro is going to sell her hard.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 11

I'm not sure anyone is overrated in my book. If I like someone, I like them and if I don't I don't. I used to hate Rainbow, I thought her character was obnoxious, and I didn't relate to her even though I was a little bit tomboy myself as a child. She appeared to me as just this bland stereotype of a tomboy, which rubbed me wrong. It didn't help that even though I wasn't an active part of the fandom at the time I found out she was the one almost everyone pointed to and said 'lesbian'. Why? What makes her more like that than ANY of the others? I've never had a girlfriend that was anything like RD, and I was furious that she was so quickly dubbed the gay one. So I was determined to not like this character... However, as the series has gone on, I've really come to love her. I started understanding her character and what makes her tick and I've stopped holding the fact that just because many people lumped her into a category unfairly, doesn't mean I shouldn't like her. 

As a side note, your definition of what makes a pony more human is transferable to all other ponies. If you say RD is more human

because you related to her, then by default all people who identify more with other ponies aren't as human... which doesn't make any sense. She's more like the type of human you are, she is not more like a human than the others. I relate to Luna and Twilight more than any one because I'm a bookworm and have quite often been ostracized from my peers.

And the concept of any pony being overrated strikes an odd cord in me. The reason mass amounts of people like certain characters like RD is because they identify with them, and because of basic human nature of course we're going to exonerate and adore that which we identify with. The only thing I think is "overrated" is people liking one character over another because they're so cute... which I find to be a shallow reason to like something.

• Brohoof 5

Yes, I agree that Rainbow Dash is overrated. Never really liked her as much, but I don't hate her. I could see how others could have her as her their favorite, but I'm not one of those people.

• Brohoof 4

I used to think Rainbow Dash was a bit overrated, it is not that I didn't like her it is just that I didn't really get why she was so popular. I changed my mind about Rainbow Dash after Sleepless in Ponyville and Wonderbolt Academy to the point where she became my 3rd and then eventually 2nd favorite pony. Rainbow Dash is still a bit cocky and brash but she has grown and matured more than any of the other mane 6 and along with Applejack had the strongest showing of the mane 6 characters in season 3. We saw her softer side in agree to be a "sister" to Scootaloo and her responsible side by calling out Lightning Dust even at the risk of losing her dream of becoming a Wonderbolt.

• Brohoof 1

The reason I love RD so much is because she is what I wish I could be. I'm too shy to be confident, and I have an almost crippling fear of failure. RD is everything I wish I could be. She's an adventure-loving speed demon who doesn't answer to anyone. She is free to follow her dream of being a wonderbolt, and nopony tries to stop her.

That is a short thesis on why RD is undoubtedly best pony.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Rainbow Dash is the Bender of My Little Pony.

We just need to make her a crippling alcoholic and a compulsive gambler and then we'll be set. 

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm going to look so biased tongue.png

Anyhow, I don't really like the term overrated, even if I can understand why others would use it. It burns me up to see Sleepless in Ponyville losing to Magic Duel in best episode polls. However this is more due to difference in taste than anything. All of the Mane Six are extremely high-quality characters, and while some are underappreciated (even Rainbow Dash sometimes, believe it or not), I don't think any of them are appreciated more than they should be. For example, I like Twilight a lot, however she is my least favorite of the Mane Six. She is apparently the most popular character in the entire series, if this recent study is reliable. (Go to page 56 of you're curious.)

http://herdcensus.com/

I don't think she's overrated, as she is an excellent character, and saying that she is would amount to saying that my preferences or tastes are superior to those of others. The same goes for Rainbow Dash. The quality of her character and how she's developed over the course of the series justifies her reception in my opinion.

I also agree with what has been said above. Rainbow Dash's flaws make her feel more human to me.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 6

Rainbow Dash? Overrated? Nah. :D She IS awesome. She earned her love.

She's proven that she works and practices hard to be where she is, she's honest, she is a good, caring friend, and she has a strong personality.

Rainbow Dash for next alicorn (after Applejack).

I think overrating happens to ponies we know little to nothing about. To be overrated, Rainbow Dash would need to secretly be a terrible pony.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

None of the Mane Six ponies are overrated. They're all underrated.

Rainbow Dash is a great character. There's a reason so many people like her. I admit, I find it a bit unfair when I see so many Dash fans compared to the other main characters, but Dash is a very polarizing character meaning she's a love-or-hate character, so you're going to see a LOT of people who like her as their favorite as well as people who say she's their least favorite. This doesn't mean Rainbow doesn't deserve all of the love she gets, it just means that the other characters are more underrated than Dash, and are deserving of more Brony love. So yeah, get on it Bronies. tongue.png

I have to say though, there's more than one way to look at Dash in terms of being "human." It's true, she can be a bit of a jerk and she has some obvious negative qualities, (laziness, impatience, arrogance, etc) meaning she's still got a lot to learn and is believable as a result. However, she's also a bit superhuman in how athletic, brave, fast, and downright dangerous she can be. She's the action-hero of the group, and in that respect she's not as relatable as say, Applejack or Fluttershy. For me, those two are the most relatable. They live simplistic but happy lives, and while they have talents, they're not flank-kicking awesome daredevils who can pull off a sonic boom. And they sure as heck aren't alicorn princesses with godlike magical powers.

But no, Dash is not overrated. She's just not as underrated if anything.

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 4

More human than the rest?

Eh, No.

More relatable, yes.

I still do consider her overrated, not as much as Fluttershy though, or Derpy >_>

GASP fluttershy isn't over-rated!!!!!

I want to apologize first for traumatizing you all with my series finale idea of the ponies being old and near death. I just thought it would be a wise lesson to tell kids. Also the dynamic of Rainbow fearing that one day she will never fly and break the sound barrier anymore. But enough of that

Pretty much is RD overrated. I can see why she is loved/hated. I think the reason why many people find RD really appealing is because she is some what more human then the others, yeah the other 5 are pretty human. But Rainbow Dash reminds me a lot of myself when I was growing up. I was cocky, liked to show off to get attention and I still have dreams of making a popular graphic novel. not really for the money, but because I want to make my mark on the world, before I am dead. I want to be remembered and that's what Rainbow Dash is basically aspiring to do. She wants to be the best, plain and simple. I think deep inside we all want to WIN. It's human nature. You can watch this excellent video that pushed me to follow my dreams. It's Goku from DBZ, but someone should make a Rainbow version

Like how Ed Edd Eddy sold cartoon network, how Mario sold Nintendo, how Pikachu sold pokemon. Rainbow Dash in my opinion sells MLP

I really didn't like rd until sonic rainboom, and then rd became my number 2 fave char. In season 2 especially the reading episode, she became way more relatable.

She may be a tad over-rated, but fluttershy might be concidered over-rated aswell, I love them both so much... But I love all ponies.. But fluttershy is my number 1

post-14701-0-06451000-1367425891.jpg

I do think she is somewhat overrated. My favourite pony is Fluttershy as a mane 6, and Derpy Hooves.

I just love Derpy because she's rather like me, as is Fluttershy. Rainbow Dash is a bit too assertive for my liking, too bossy, and like...a show off. Which is why I don't like Trixie very much.

Rainbow Dash has always been my favorite for these reasons. She wants to be the best, to be remembered and loved; but unlike everyone else she is actually willing to work for it.

Sure she may get cocky sometimes, though she can always back it up (Well, most of the time). she is confident, brave and willing to face down any challenge, she is the first person to stick up for you when the chips are down, and above everything else; she is the element of Loyalty. She would never abandon her friends or compromise her closely held ideals; even if it means giving up on her dreams. 

Funny thing is, this is *exactly* the reason why I like Rarity best.  Just change Loyalty to Generosity. 

To me, I don't really feel comfortable using the term "overrated".  Different people have different opinions, and not one of them rates "incorrectly" because that's how they feel.  You can't say that somone's opinion is "wrong", provided that they're not based on lies. 

As for me, she's my least favorite of the mane Six. But that's just a personality thing.  I can see the qualities in her that others admire, and if you like her the best, that's great,  but her pushy and in your face style just isn't for me. 

• Brohoof 4

I don't think she's overrated, I don't think any of the mane 6 are overrated(or deserve to be called as such). They're the main characters, the ones we root for so it's only natural to see them be the most popular characters in the show. Granted, I think some of them deserve as much fans as others, and sometimes they can be very underappreciated and deserve more credit(including Rainbow Dash). But in all I don't think there should be a problem with her being one of the show's most popular characters

Personally, the only characters I think are truely overrated are the ones that have ginormous followings despite only being a one-shot or only make an appearance for a couple seconds or one episode to the point where it determines the quality of the episode, like Derpy or Trixie

• Brohoof 1

I always held the belief that no pony was really "overrated" because as always it's an opinion question and there is no substantial evidence to back a claim either for or against the statement that Rainbow Dash is overrated.

• Brohoof 1

I always held the belief that no pony was really "overrated" because as always it's an opinion question and there is no substantial evidence to back a claim either for or against the statement that Rainbow Dash is overrated.

I agree and it applies to the mane 6 and the other main ponies. The bigger issue I think is that many ponies need more backstory. I'd love to see Celestia and Luna a young fillies as Twilight put it in her Hot Minute.

(edited)

I honestly don't think she is. 

She has done lot's of cool things like saving the Wonderbolts and saving her friends when they were in danger so I think she has earned her fanbase. 

Edited by NightOwl
  • Brohoof 2

Rainbow Dash is not my favorite character but I can definitely see her appeal. In a way, she's very much the kind of character you'd see starring in cartoons aimed at young boys. She's driven, spunky, cocky, and a daredevil but she's also a compassionate hero archetype. She even represents loyalty.

I assume she appeals to a lot of bronies through nostalgia and admiration. She has every quality men are taught to strive for, and it's all packaged in a nonthreatening female pony. Best of all, she's just geeky/fangirlish enough to make her endearing.

She also has what might be the most unique mane in the whole show. :P

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Her and Fluttershy are without a doubt the most over exposed ponies in the fandom. It gets annoying when everyone outside the fandom thinks I just love Dash and think Shy is the cutest thing in the universe, just because I'm in this community.

• 7 months later...

Well, I was going to make a topic about this, but I searched and one already existed :okiedokielokie:

Anyway, yes; I like her, but she is horribly overrated; her domination in the merch department flat out irritates me, the fact I'm seeing a quantity over quality type thing in her episodes (so many, yet, not many very good ones) and how most of her fanbase strikes me as elitist and looks down on the other ponies.

She's got so much attention and so many fans, but, quite frankly, she's not any better than any of the other ponies. 

"20% Cooler" is one of the worst things to happen to the fandom, and the Sonic Rainboom is one of the worst things to happen to the show, in my opinion.

I'm sorry, but as much as I like her, she's just not as great as she's made out to be by the fandom.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39

Even though she is my second favorite out of the mane six (though I'm thinking third since I'm starting to like Twilight better), I will say yes she is overrated. Most pony merch I see at Hot Topic has either Derpy or Rainbow Dash. Come on, where is the Pinkie merch when you need it?

I don't think that Rainbow Dash is overrated, hear me out I'm not being biased about this.

Her episodes this season haven't really been the best, but I still think that even with her popularity she is still a good character. From what we've seen in the past from her, you could say that when it comes to the merchandise department she is a bit too overpopulated.