Furry discussion thread

Discordian

How do you feel about furries?  

260 users have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about furries?

• They're pretty cool
    • So weird.
    • Fluttershy is a furry!

I'm also a furry though I'm not much into it like I am MLP, but I never actually had a problem with them but then again I am more accepting then most people and the fandom doesn't bother me... For the most part lol, people are going to hate that which they do not understand so hate is going to come no matter what.

Human nature is honestly all I can find in terms of 'research'

also I found this quote:

"My choice is what I choose to do, and if I'm causing no harm, it shouldn't bother you. Your choice is who you choose to be, and if you're causing no harm, it shouldn't bother me." - Ben Harper

And I find that more people would be better off if they believed in that quote.

• Brohoof 3

As most people said, people will hate what they don't understand/something that is "weird" or "different".

If haters got there info from csi, godhatesfurries.com, American Dad or anything else they shouldn't be taken seriously and are just closed minded.

As a furry myself, some stereotypes are true. Like how mot furries are gay. If people hate them for being gay then that is just homophobic and will backfire on them. But I strongly believe that most furries aren't into yiff.

As a furry myself, some stereotypes are true. Like how mot furries are gay. If people hate them for being gay then that is just homophobic and will backfire on them. But I strongly believe that most furries aren't into yiff.

actually, most furries are straight, i believe. there was a poll about this on the largest furry community on the net about what your sexuality were, and the straight option won by a long shot. being gay ranked up pretty closely, however.
  • Brohoof 1

actually, most furries are straight, i believe. there was a poll about this on the largest furry community on the net about what your sexuality were, and the straight option won by a long shot. being gay ranked up pretty closely, however.

I don't know to be honest, but at Anthrocon 2012 there was a lot of gay couples. :/ But like I said it doesn't matter if they're gay or not, hating furries because they're gay is quite homophobic.

I don't know to be honest, but at Anthrocon 2012 there was a lot of gay couples. :/ But like I said it doesn't matter if they're gay or not, hating furries because they're gay is quite homophobic.

i think the reason there were a lot of gay couples there is because furries as a whole is generally considered to be more open and accepting about sexuality because of their oddball status. like, why condemn gay couples when you're in a fandom that's condemned by other people? kinda like on these forums, too: i can count at least 3 gay couples on this forum that has been open about it: me and Feather Spiral, Kyronea and Tich, and Nico and Klopp. 2 of these couples being a couple of moderators, even!

Well, I think to an extent, yes. We like a species of animal a lot, and we can be each other/both. A brony can be a furry and vice versa.

I don't know much about furries so I can't really add more than that :|

We distinguish each other with said animal, like we like to have profile pics, dress-up/cosplay etc

Edited by Matus

Well actually we are more similar then different in our fandoms. We both have fan-art, we both have fanfics, and we both are really large fandoms. The differences are they enjoy anthro animals, whereas we enjoy technicolor ponies. So yeah I guess you could say were similar, but definitely not the same.

Edited by dusty soul
  • Brohoof 2

Well actually we are more similar then different in our fandoms. We both have fan-art, we both have fanfics, and we both are really large fandoms. The differences are they enjoy anthro animals, whereas we enjoy technicolor ponies. So yeah I guess you could say were similar, but definitely not the same.

Yes, but 'anthro' doesn't mean "walk on two legs", it means they have human features and the ponies clearly have that.

They do share a few similar characterists I believe, but one thing is one thing and another is another. Saying that "you're a brony, therefore you're a furry" is very wrong.

That's the third thread about this that I've seen already. :|

I really think this discussion shouldn't go any further, because it creates more fuss than it should.

Edited by DrizzleSTAR
  • Brohoof 5

No, they are two different fandoms. Not all fandoms go together just because they seem the same. Pokemon and Digimon fandoms are completely different, but are about the same exact game and show, but with differences.

Edited by Devin McCourty
Backseat moderation.
  • Brohoof 7

I've been around the furry fandom, and in my personal opinion: bronies are a lot like furries but with less drama, depression, creepy animal sex, and public embarrassment.

So in other words, better.

That being said, bronies are not furries. Sure we have more similarities than differences, but we are still two seperate fandoms. Edited by Jadefire
  • Brohoof 5

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNI2EznJEMI

I've been around the furry fandom, and in my personal opinion: bronies are a lot like furries but with less drama, depression, creepy animal sex, and public embarrassment.

So in other words, better.

What do you mean by "creepy animal sex"? :|

I seriously don't understand why people say that. It's starting to bother me.

• Brohoof 1

What do you mean by "creepy animal sex"? :|

I seriously don't understand why people say that. It's starting to bother me.

It's because the bulk of the furry fandom is very sexual and often extremely heavily fetished and kinky. This severely irks a large number of people on the internet (including bronies) as most mainstream people view sex between two sapient anthropomorphic animals as no different than beastiality.

The two fandoms are similar in that they are accepting and friendly, for the most part. I suppose they are also similar in that it both deals with talking animals, but that's really it. A brony likes MLP. A furry is interested in anthropomorphic animals in some way. That is what separates them. They are also similar in that they create a persona. For bronies it is a "ponysona" and for furries it is a "fursona".

It's because the bulk of the furry fandom is very sexual and often extremely heavily fetished and kinky. This severely irks a large number of people on the internet (including bronies) as most mainstream people view sex between two sapient anthropomorphic animals as no different than beastiality.

Last time I checked, the MLP fandom has a large sexual side as well. A majority of furries are not into sexual things. Just like a majority of bronies do not like the fact that there is art that sexualizes the characters.

Edited by Elric
  • Brohoof 4

The two fandoms are similar in that they are accepting and friendly, for the most part. I suppose they are also similar in that it both deals with talking animals, but that's really it. A brony likes MLP. A furry is interested in anthropomorphic animals in some way. That is what separates them.

[/background][/size][/font][/color]

Last time I checked, the MLP fandom has a sexual side as well. A majority of furries are not into sexual things. Just like a majority of bronies do not like the fact that there is art that sexualizes the characters.

-thumbs up- thank you, I agree with this. :3

People tend to pay too much attention to the negative side, especially when it come to furries. ugh.

• Brohoof 1

How often is this gonna be asked?

Once again, bronies are not furries. Yes, you can be both. Yes, they both have some good similarities between each other, but being a brony does not make you a furry.

Someone on this forum in a different thread said something along the lines of: "You are only a brony/furry if you choose to accept being called and identified by that.". And I agree with them 100%

• Brohoof 2

Someone on this forum in a different thread said something along the lines of: "You are only a brony/furry if you choose to accept being called and identified by that.". And I agree with them 100%

That would be me who said that. You are only a fan of something if you consider yourself one. Bronies are only Bronies if they consider themselves one. Furries are only furries if they consider themselves one. Someone could be interested in anthropomorphic animals and not consider themselves a Furry. I don't really consider myself a Brony, only a casual fan of the show.

• Brohoof 2

They are not the same group, even if they have people from both doesn't make them the same thing... Bronies have interest in the show MLP; FIM not directly anthropomorphic art therefore they are not furries... they are bronies unless that said brony is a furry,,, but NOT ALL ARE FURRIES.

enough said.

• Brohoof 2

Well, both are fans of anthro stuff (yes, the ponies are technically anthro), and they both have a type of character to represent them (fursonas and bronies), but besides that, no. Sure, they both have original art/music, but so does every fandom.

So no, bronies aren't technically furries just because they're a brony.

Plus, part of being in a fandom is wanting to identify yourself with the fandom.

• Brohoof 1