Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are there any good fanfiction writers out there?

Teh Silly Luna

*coughs and raises hand*

Nah, I haven't written much pony stuff yet. Uh...TomTheHuman wrote Antrhopology, Kkat wrote Fallout Equestria, and Somber wrote Project Horizons. There are three to kick you off.

Go to FiMFiction.net if you want boatloads of writers and look for the highest rated, I suppose.

• Brohoof 3

What I want to honestly know is if there are any good fanfiction writers? I'm just asking out of the blue.

But, if there are in fact any out there on here, can I sample?

Yeah, I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for.  Are you trying to find fanfic writers within this site's membership, or are you just looking for some good fanfics?

That's a really tough question to answer because good is really quite subjective. I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect writer, although in my imagination I am one :P, so the question is what 'good' are you looking for?

Do you want grammatical perfection? What is your preference for fanfic content? These are useful things to know. :P

Some writers don't publish their fan fiction, for some acceptable reasons. Also, it's rather hard to find a good writer in this forum since we have no system to rate how good ponies are at writing.

I'm fairly decent at fan fiction, you can try out anything I've written on my FIMFiction, but my issue is I never get inspiration to write, and thus rarely end up writing anything xD;

Also, while this may be about fan fiction, it's a discussion and not displaying something you've written, so I'm going to move it to Sugarcube.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...

That's a really tough question to answer because good is really quite subjective. I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect writer, although in my imagination I am one :P, so the question is what 'good' are you looking for?

Do you want grammatical perfection? What is your preference for fanfic content? These are useful things to know. :P

Yeah, guess I didn't make myself more clear, but to make it clearer, I'm mainly just looking for how much detail you put in it, and how you're describing things to almost every small detail, and how you portray the protagonist whether he/she is good or evil, brutal or kind, mainly some of the small things portraying what he/she does everyday, and it leads to something new!

(In my opinion atleast...)

Because detail is important!

post-10712-0-03558300-1373862148.png

@,

Personally, I am not a fan of dumping all detail up front. In my opinion, describing things to the perfectly-definite level is boring for readers. What I am to do when I write a scene is give the general points needed to paint the portrait. From there, the finer details I like to leave up to the readers' imaginations. I guess you could say I'm more of seeder than a describer. There are some details you have to provide to guide the audience, but focusing too much on mundane elements that have nothing to do with the plot stands as a pretty big turn off for me.

As for character personalities, that is super specific and really depends on the situation the plot presents.  

• Brohoof 2

@,

Personally, I am not a fan of dumping all detail up front. In my opinion, describing things to the perfectly-definite level is boring for readers. What I am to do when I write a scene is give the general points needed to paint the portrait. From there, the finer details I like to leave up to the readers' imaginations. I guess you could say I'm more of seeder than a describer. There are some details you have to provide to guide the audience, but focusing too much on mundane elements that have nothing to do with the plot stands as a pretty big turn off for me.

As for character personalities, that is super specific and really depends on the situation the plot presents.  

From what your third sentence says is pretty much what I mean here, the general points in the scene, just what makes it so occasional for the reader to depict what is there, and see it in their mind. More of giving a general hint in the scene to describe it clearly, but also not too as of you to say.

Mah Bad, Mah Bad

137235299086.png

I've judged and critiqued a lot of submissions, whether it be fanfic or original content. The rule really always applies. At the moment where irrelevant detail dominates the piece, interest becomes hard to maintain. One time, I read an entry in which the activity of numerous blades of grass swaying in the wind was painstakingly detailed. I questioned the author as to what the point was. I didn't get a very good response. 

I think I’m a decent writer. I’m working on my first fan fiction right now. At least I will try my best and I always like to edit my own work at least once or twice before it is good enough for my own standards.

• Brohoof 1

@@WingMcCallister, @,

Putting details plays a certain role in fiction writing. Authors don't do that just for the sake of coolness or simply showing off their description skill. You're also playing with pacing while you're writing descriptions of a scene. A quick scene will have short description, and a calm scene will be described with details. As a proof in real life, you normally don't pay so much attention while you're in hurry (running, etc), and professionals authors must draw that experience by writing short descriptions in their fast paced scenes. The same with the opposite.

• Brohoof 1

My little dashie is a fanfic that made me cry more than any movie/tv/book/or video game ever did it has lots and lots of detail that pulls you into its world its told from the protagonist point of veiw and if it dosen't make you cry you have no soul at all end of story there are great reading that add even more effect on youtube trust me wacth the video so much more powerful than just reading it your self and don't see the remastered version I like the old one better I see almost no different but still http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o14L_0ktNhU plz see it it is one of the best fanfic in FIM!!!

• Brohoof 1

My little dashie is a fanfic that made me cry more than any movie/tv/book/or video game ever did it has lots and lots of detail that pulls you into its world its told from the protagonist point of veiw and if it dosen't make you cry you have no soul at all end of story there are great reading that add even more effect on youtube trust me wacth the video so much more powerful than just reading it your self and don't see the remastered version I like the old one better I see almost no different but still http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o14L_0ktNhU plz see it it is one of the best fanfic in FIM!!!

I know of My Little Dasie, and have read it a while back, but I'm just looking for something to read while I'm on the forums... Mainly because I don't really feel like going on Fimfiction.net and finding one TO read for a while...

I think I’m a decent writer. I’m working on my first fan fiction right now. At least I will try my best and I always like to edit my own work at least once or twice before it is good enough for my own standards.

Hey, I might be interested in reading your fanfiction!

Maybe you can send me a sample, or maybe the first couple chapters, (depending on if it is one of those types that have multiple chapters to it) But hit me up sometime, okay? ;)

If you want to... that is... fluttershy_being_cute__with_hoody__by_in

Maybe you can send me a sample, or maybe the first couple chapters, (depending on if it is one of those types that have multiple chapters to it) But hit me up sometime, okay? ;)

I would gladly do that. It's a collaborative effort with another member so I may bring it up next time we speak to get permission. We're going to start chapter three soon.

My two favorite fanfic authors are Kkat and Doc Delray. You've probably already heard of Kkat, but Delray's pretty damn underrated for the kind of work he does.

I also fancy myself a good writer, but my one and only fanfic to date has met with some pretty mixed reactions. xD

I'm fairly decent at fan fiction, you can try out anything I've written on my FIMFiction, but my issue is I never get inspiration to write, and thus rarely end up writing anything xD;

Also, while this may be about fan fiction, it's a discussion and not displaying something you've written, so I'm going to move it to Sugarcube.

Oh, well... thank you admin, but I will indeed check out your fan fictions as well as work on my own for the mean time that I am here and else where!

But thank you for moving the topic, and I will make sure that any others that I make are in the right area so that you won't have to take the time to, I guess you can say "correct my mistakes!" XD

I would gladly do that. It's a collaborative effort with another member so I may bring it up next time we speak to get permission. We're going to start chapter three soon.

Ooh, yay! Can't wait to read chapter one of whatever you all are writing in this "collaborative" work you are doing here on your fanfiction...

Still cannot wait.

Oh wait! Yes I can, silly me!

• Brohoof 1

I find myself to be a pretty good writer, although I do admit to having issues and such still even to this day. I have a couple of stories up on my FIM account (the link is in my signature if your interested)

*Cue shy face for self promoting* 

Ooh, yay! Can't wait to read chapter one of whatever you all are writing in this "collaborative" work you are doing here on your fanfiction... Still cannot wait. Oh wait! Yes I can, silly me!

I may try to mention that to the pony I am working with soon. If he agrees then you may see some of it. I think the work overall is passable.

(edited)

Welp, the obvious big-name writer that I'm guessing somepony's already mentioned is Pen Stroke, author of Past Sins.

...as for self-promotion, if by "good writer" you mean "writer with near-perfect grammar and a distinctly enjoyable writing style", I think I may qualify. Here's a few of the best-written scenes from my fanfiction Wisp:

(Chapter 1 Intro) They are the most important method for understanding the very nature of intelligent beings; they are simple fantasies that nopony remembers nor cares for. They are shaped and designed completely by the mind; they are unfamiliar and unknown to that very same mind who gives them the gift of existence. They are the only window into their host whose image is portrayed with complete veracity; they tell useless tales with useless characters in useless settings. They are an inherent property of intelligent beings that all share; they are the most mysterious of subjects and no one has ever discovered their purpose.

I speak, of course, of dreams...

(Chapter 2 Intro) A cold winter’s night found Ponyville in slumber, silent and tranquil. Wisps of wind blew in a backdrop of snowflakes upon the peaceful town, not a blizzard nor a storm but a speckled fog. Each tiny drop of crystalline ice fluttered gently to the ground in slow motion, as if Time itself had, in a rare display of kindness, slowed down to give these ill-fated travelers a chance to take in their beautiful surroundings before they inevitably conjoined with their brethren and formed a blanket of pure white upon the peaceful buildings of Ponyville.

With collective breaths its inhabitants slept on through the uneventful night, resting happily under the caring glow of the moon, whose beautiful aura sparkled against the unbroken fields of snow. The ponies’ sleep was unperturbed and innocent; their dreams were filled with happy memories of their happy lives, and happy visions of their happy futures. Children dreamt of brave adventures in faraway lands, their parents reminisced on their hopes and dreams fulfilled long ago, and nearly all were satisfied.

Only one would suffer that night.

(Chapter 8 Ending) I can see a beautiful world rising up against the abyss, full of beautiful lives woven together with the harmony of friendship. I can see the spark of life, glorious and brilliant, shining in the night from every soul united against the darkness, forming a majestic curtain of stars twinkling across the sky. A new dawn will rise, a dawn whose light shall pierce every nook and every cranny of every dream upon this wounded earth, healing it with unbreakable permanence.

Now I go to my grave not with despair but with confidence, confidence that the life within myself and within all who dare to live will be passed down, from now into eternity.

Edited by Night Shine

I may try to mention that to the pony I am working with soon. If he agrees then you may see some of it. I think the work overall is passable.

Oh, alright. For I will wait for the day to even see some of it if any at all possible! 

Either way, let the waiting commence, and the reading of others also have ago.

Welp, the obvious big-name writer that I'm guessing somepony's already mentioned is Pen Stroke, author of Past Sins.

...as for self-promotion, if by "good writer" you mean "writer with near-perfect grammar and a distinctly enjoyable writing style", I think I may qualify. Here's a few of the best-written scenes from my fanfiction Wisp:

They are the most important method for understanding the very nature of intelligent beings; they are simple fantasies that nopony remembers nor cares for. They are shaped and designed completely by the mind; they are unfamiliar and unknown to that very same mind who gives them the gift of existence. They are the only window into their host whose image is portrayed with complete veracity; they tell useless tales with useless characters in useless settings. They are an inherent property of intelligent beings that all share; they are the most mysterious of subjects and no one has ever discovered their purpose.

I speak, of course, of dreams...

A cold winter’s night found Ponyville in slumber, silent and tranquil. Wisps of wind blew in a backdrop of snowflakes upon the peaceful town, not a blizzard nor a storm but a speckled fog. Each tiny drop of crystalline ice fluttered gently to the ground in slow motion, as if Time itself had, in a rare display of kindness, slowed down to give these ill-fated travelers a chance to take in their beautiful surroundings before they inevitably conjoined with their brethren and formed a blanket of pure white upon the peaceful buildings of Ponyville.

With collective breaths its inhabitants slept on through the uneventful night, resting happily under the caring glow of the moon, whose beautiful aura sparkled against the unbroken fields of snow. The ponies’ sleep was unperturbed and innocent; their dreams were filled with happy memories of their happy lives, and happy visions of their happy futures. Children dreamt of brave adventures in faraway lands, their parents reminisced on their hopes and dreams fulfilled long ago, and nearly all were satisfied.

Only one would suffer that night.

I can see a beautiful world rising up against the abyss, full of beautiful lives woven together with the harmony of friendship. I can see the spark of life, glorious and brilliant, shining in the night from every soul united against the darkness, forming a majestic curtain of stars twinkling across the sky. A new dawn will rise, a dawn whose light shall pierce every nook and every cranny of every dream upon this wounded earth, healing it with unbreakable permanence.

Now I go to my grave not with despair but with confidence, confidence that the life within myself and within all who dare to live will be passed down, from now into eternity.

Oh wow, these are pretty good parts of your fanfictions, I read each one of the "Spoilers" and found them to be marvelous. 

I did see that you checked over them mainly for errors and any other mistakes.

But good job.

I find myself to be a pretty good writer, although I do admit to having issues and such still even to this day. I have a couple of stories up on my FIM account (the link is in my signature if your interested)

*Cue shy face for self promoting* 

If you mind telling, what sort of "issues" are you having problems with? Ideas, inspiration, character analysis, Grammar, confidence even?

• Brohoof 1

Oh wow, these are pretty good parts of your fanfictions, I read each one of the "Spoilers" and found them to be marvelous. 

I did see that you checked over them mainly for errors and any other mistakes.

But good job.

Oh, no, those weren't actual spoilers! I just use those to separate the scenes...xD

Yknow what, I think I'll just put them out of the spoilers to avoid confusion....9_6

Yes, I am good at writing fanfiction, just give me a topic and I can write about it.

I really love reading and writing and I'll just about write just about anything.

Alright, as soon as I come up with a challenge topic to come up with and write about, I will post it to you, and I guess you can try to write about it!

I will come up with a scene even, or just a topic, or anything else!

Oh, no, those weren't actual spoilers! I just use those to separate the scenes...xD

Yknow what, I think I'll just put them out of the spoilers to avoid confusion....9_6

Ah, so I see now, but I do see that you are quite a good writer as I do say myself. Yes, it did confuse me for a moment considering that it was under "spoiler"

• Brohoof 1