Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Am I the only person who thinks that Mario ISN'T that great a videogame hero?

Sazama Ichida

(edited)

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate him either. And I loved his games when I was a kid. I mean who wouldn't? The Paper Mario games were awesome. But I think that he's just "meh". I just really don't get what's so amazing about him...Why do so many people like him so much and worship him so much? I just think he's way too overworshiped and overrated. I really don't see what's so great about him and why he's so famous...And why do people prefer him over all the other videogame heroes? And I think it's much more fun to slash up monsters with a sword or shoot them up with a gun or actually be able to punch and kick than it is to run around stomping on turtles and living mushrooms. Plus we've also got the fact that he's dead in only one hit...I find that very LAME...

Mario really isn't as interesting as other videogame heroes are either in my opinion. I think a hero with a backstory about his family getting murdered or a swordsman who was born and raised to protect peace or whatever is way cooler in my opinion. Also, Gigantic swords, gravity-defying spiky hair, superhuman powers/abilities, torturous back-story, etc. now THAT's what I call a hero. Ex. Cloud, Sora, Ichigo, Goku etc. (Yeah I know Goku and Ichigo are not exactly videogame characters but you get the point.)

Edited by Asbel Lhant
  • Brohoof 7

Well, I think that the reason he IS such a good hero is because in truth, he really isn't. Where else can you see a fat Italian plumber pounding monsters and saving princesses? Nowhere, really. The creators took something completely boring and average, and were able to warp it into some great hero. Does he have a backstory? No, not really. Does he have a motive for trying to save Peach? No, not really. Do we know where or how he got his powers No, not really. I think he's such a good hero for the exact opposite reason: because he's not.

• Brohoof 1

Mario is highly overrated and his brand is over used, had they not brought out a new Mario game every 10 second I'm sure his value would have remained, but the constant spam of games waters down the true essence of Mario. The old games were great, but the new ones are meh.

Mario isn't that great as a video-game hero, because all the games use the same format: Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach; Mario has to save her. It's getting old. The only Mario games I really enjoy is the spinoffs, like Mario Kart, or Mario Tennis.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm not such a big fan either. The games were pretty solid back in the 80's and 90's and Paper and Galaxy were nice spins on it but the truth of the matter is he could easily be replaced. But he's iconic, and trying to dethrone him is pointless as there is a army of rabid Nintendo fanboys (and girls) that will defend him regardless of how good the arguments are.

In my eyes te est video game protagonist I've come across was Jade from Beyond Good and Evil.

Edited by Fridge

Well... He's child friendly, and currently the oldest video-game character still getting new games. He represents Classic gaming, and the end of the Video Game Crash of the 80's. After Atari and their competitors went bust, Nintendo burst onto the scene with Mario and stole the show, dominating the market for childrens games ever since. Of course, he's been doing exactly the same thing for over 20 years now... Saving Princess Peach from her "stalker with a crush" Bowser, just for some cake... No, seriously... That's his motivation...

That's why people idolize him... Not that it makes him a great hero... He's a Plumber (Originally he was a Carpenter) who saves a hopeless princess once every week... Super Mario 3D land actually made fun of this, with Mario, at the end of his most recent adventure, presumably having just had cake, saying goodbye to Peach... Only for her to get kidnapped again immediately... Way to go Mario! You saved the princess and forgot to set up any defences!

Of course there are much better heroes... But they usually don't last as long. All of the Pokemon heroes only lasted their respective generations, the only thing remaining the same being the Pokemon themselves. But then there's characters like Kirby (who's a pink, bulemic black hole of a badass... What was Nintendo thinking?) who are timeless.

Mario himself isn't very special. And no he isn't some sort of hero. But the games with him are awesome, and that for some reason automatically makes him a video game legend = hero.

• Brohoof 1

Mario isn't a great hero. His games are what makes him popular.

He doesn't have much of a backstory, and there isn't much plot. Which means you get to jump straight into the games.

He doesn't have much motive, making the game less complicated.

He doesn't have most heroes qualities.

This is because Mario games are intended for all ages. Nintendo tries to limit the plot and story so that the kiddies can jump straight into the games.

• Brohoof 1

Mario sure isn't a chivarly-themed, picture perfect and good looking hero, but then again. he never was supposed to be. I guess that's the charm about him that also made him so popular in the first place.

He's being badass by NOT being badass, cool looking and always virtuoso.

So yeah, in terms of what an ideal hero is supposed to be, Mario sure doesn't fit the bill

What could be more heroic than an average Italian plumber that goes out of his way to rescue the princess on a daily basis. He's like an everyday hero, decidedly average in every way and yet he still pulls off amazing feats. And Mario does get super powers from the power ups: he can toss fireballs (fire flower), fly (tanooki suit, wing cap), become invulnerable (starman, metal cap) etc. And let's not forget that iconic appearance: blue overalls, red shirt, gloves, cap; no need to change when he goes off on another rescue mission, stomping bad guys is his second job. And most importantly, that 'stache; Cloud, Sora, Ichigo, and Goku are barefaced babies compared to the manliest of manly men, Mario.  

Mario's also a well rounded person. He goes golfing and go-karting, plays tennis every now and then. I'm pretty sure he went to the Olympic games too. He's quite the athlete. 

His games are pretty straight forward and the later ones are really easy. Despite that, I still find Mario games enjoyable for its more casual experience. He's not a system seller for me, but I still find interest in his games. 

I think what makes Mario so great is that he is a very unique and bizarre character in a series that dosen't seem to take itself very seriously. Think about it a fat Italian plumber eats mushrooms to grow bigger, flowers to shoot fireballs and stars for temporary invincibility it sounds like one hell of an acid trip.

Well, he's classic, and rooted in the history of video games whether anyone likes it or not. While he is definitely overused, I always enjoy the 3D platformers that come out. Sure, the story maybe the same thing over and over again(I certainly agree that they need to work on that), but the games are usually pretty fun. He's personally not really my favorite game hero either, but I usually enjoy his games. :)

Well, Mario is the mascot of Nintendo. And although I do agree, it's like other game companie's heroes. Like Microsoft's Master Chief, he can get killed by a bucket of water. Seem all gaming heroes can be killed pretty easily. =/

Mario isn't that great as a video-game hero, because all the games use the same format: Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach; Mario has to save her. It's getting old. The only Mario games I really enjoy is the spinoffs, like Mario Kart, or Mario Tennis.

Try the second two Paper Mario games and Mario and Luigi RPG. They have a great story without having to go back on the whole 'Bowser kidnaps peach' thing. Especially Super Paper Mario. I don't care what people say about the actual gameplay, Super Paper Mario had an amazing story for a Mario game.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

I never understood what is so great about Mario games yet everyone says they are like best games ever they are maybe little above average at best but honestly I probably couldn't even finish them they seem so boring.

• 2 years later...