Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Why should I watch EqG?"

Tenshinohana

So, the hottest topic in the fandom right now is Equestria Girls and the hate and love it has gotten. In this post I'm going to go through of the arguments why people might/might not watch EqG. Wether you're just a pure hater or someone who doesn't know what to think, I'm going to help you with your decision.

Some of the arguments are meant for those, who just bash the movie and say "Why are they even making this... doody. Stop it right now."

Oh, and I warn you, there might be spoilers. (And some thoughts what probably will happen in the movie.)

What is Equestria Girls?

- Equestria Girls is a movie, where Twilight Sparkle goes to a humanized world to recover a crown that was stolen. Twilight Sparkle then meets one of her greatest challenges - high school. And all the mane six are humanized versions, not ponies.

Ew! Humanized Twilight Sparkle and other ponies? High school? No way!

- Yes, it might be something you might find despicable. But think about it for a minute.

The ponies in the series are adults and have different kind of problems (sometimes a little childish for adults, but hey, it's a kids' animation). Because Hasbro's trying to reel in new audiences, they have to try something that's out of the box. They're trying to reel other people who'd probably like MLP. Like pre-teen (ages 10-14) audiences.

That's why I think this is a very natural way to go, to try out a high school movie. Ponies have often been compared to humans after all, with all their human-like characteristics. Okay, they could've tried some other story lines, but after all Hasbro is also trying to haul profit, and thus created the human versions so they could make dolls and money. After all, the only color that speaks is green.

But you could "thank" for the fact, that it's a spin-off movie, not a series. And that they promised it won't affect the next season.

Okay, okay. But that still doesn't mean I want to watch the movie.

- Well, I think that's the same what you said when someone introduced you to MLP or you watched it on the Hub/internet/anywhere. But hey, it's your decision after all. You clicked this topic to read it, so I think you've got an interest in the movie...

But after all, the creators of MLP:FiM managed to make the ponies a little bit more different, a little bit more appealing. And I trust in the team, even though Lauren Faust isn't with them. I believe they try to stay true to the series with all their might. After all, the team has created something amazing before, and they can at least make some difference in high school movies! So I definetely think they deserve a chance.

But... It's a high school movie. They're probably going to find a boy... that Twi falls in love with. Eww.

- Personally, I don't think that a high school movie is a bad thing. Okay, okay, it's kinda my guilty pleasure watching high school animation movies... They're generic and in their own way very bad and predictable.

But in a way, I can work that to my advantage. But I think most of you have seen the trailer, and if you haven't, watch it: 

You can see, that the main antagonist is going to be a popular, a little bitchy girl (that's name is probably Sunset Shimmer, one of Celestia's previous apprentices that got kicked for some reason. Hey, I told you there might be some spoilers. Even tho this isn't something they've publicly announced or anything, just speculation)....

... And then there is a pretty boy. "Why does there have to be a boy?!" you might ask. Well, it's a high school movie meant for girls. Of course there's a boy. But if you look at him closely, you notice he has the same hair color and style as Shining Armor. And the same VA. This leads to believe that it might be Shiny, not some love interest. They might or might be related in the movie, but I still think he's going to be Twi's older brother -like character.

I personally believe that there would be at least one overly romantic scene in the trailer if he'd actually be a love interest.

But still, just to be realistic, that won't mean that boyfriends are out of the question. Rarity could be dreaming about the most popular senior, and Shiny probably goes to the prom with the main antagonist, etc etc. But yet again, this is only my theory. My point is, that there is a strong possibility that this won't be a generic high school movie.

But... Humans. Humanized ponies. Who can say yes to that?

- I actually think this is a very interesting concept. But it is my personal opinion. You can see in the movie trailer, that Twi is having a hard time adapting to the human world - that will bring something funny in the movie. And when you think of it, Twi's a perfectionist, so if she get's scolded by a teacher (perhaps suggests something about magic and get's laughed at, or just doesn't know anything about a subject) she'll probably go crazy. And who wouldn't want to see that again?

My point is, that if they stay true to the characters (which I believe they will do, or try their best with) it doesn't really matter if they're ponies, humans, little puppies or perhaps monkeys. The whole thing could work out pretty good. 

Meh. I just don't like the style. Reminds me too much of Bratz.

- If the style is the major thing holding you back, then that's too bad. Personally I don't mind it, and I think that usually you have to try and look past the style if it bothers you. Sometimes you can find surprising things...

What about Spike the dog? That almost shows that they don't appreciate the characters!

- When you think about it, Spike is pretty much a dog in the show. "Cutesy little Spikey-wikey", "Fetch this, fetch that"... He is a loyal assistant and friend, and that's what dogs are at their best according to my experience. And after all, he's a dragon, and the mane six are ponies. Different creatures. In the human world this is emphasized - an out-of-place little boy in a high school movie would be... Well, out of place. This opinion might be affected by the fact that I kinda dislike the character Spike, but I don't see it as "degrading" or "insulting" to the character. I think it's going to bring some new features, but still stay true to the character. As I said before, I've seen Spike as a dog-like thing to Twilight (except he can speak).

And I think the main thing why people don't like this is because Spike can't talk, and thus doesn't like the concept of Spike the dog. But I think that there are many ways to communicate, especially in an animation, so Spike the dog has the  potential to be actually an OK character. Give him a chance.

These are probably the arguments that mostly come up when you talk about this movie, and I hope you've gotten some new insights about this movie. If you have something you'd like to point out, then go ahead, answer this thread - I'd love to hear about your opinions too. After all, I am just one person, and these are my opinions.

Tl;dr - You did give MLP:FiM a chance, so you can give this a chance too. But if you find it too despicable, then you don't have to watch it. Just don't bash others if they do want to watch it - everypony is entitled to their opinion. But seriously, bashing the movie is kind of excessive. If you don't want to see the movie, just don't go watch it. Simple as that.

Hope this post even helped people to think about their true opinions about the movie~

• Brohoof 8

You did give MLP:FiM a chance, so you can give this a chance too. But if you find it too despicable, then you don't have to watch it. Just don't bash others if they do want to watch it - everypony is entitled to their opinion. But seriously, bashing the movie is kind of excessive. If you don't want to see the movie, just don't go watch it. Simple as that.

Here here! laugh.png  I agree with you completely. If people just kept an open mind toward Equestria Girls, they might actually like it! Even if the don't, I think people shouldn't get all worked up over it. Why all the hate? Why all the fighting? Whatever happened to "Love and Tolerate?" sad.png

(edited)

Whatever happened to "Love and Tolerate?" img-1473112-2-sad.png

To be honest I don't "Love and Tolerate". If i can remember correctly, I heard from some brony that it was originally a meme in 4Chan in which some people had followed.

But yet, I still look forward to Equestria Girls. Why? Cause I'm giving it a chance and not immediately "assume" the movie will be crap without watching it yet. :catface:

Edited by 9001 others
  • Brohoof 1

To be honest I don't "Love and Tolerate". If i can remember correctly, I heard from some brony that it was originally a meme in 4Chan in which some people had followed.

But yet, I still look forward to Equestria Girls. Why? Cause I'm giving it a chance and not immediately "assume" the movie will be crap without watching it yet. img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png

The first love and toleration pic was mostly of how ponies would react to a situation, but the bronies didnt take it seriously or follow it, they poked fun at the show. People seemed to have taken it more than just seriously and made it a brony rule of some sort. It's stupid in my opinion, especially when people use it in their arguments.

I don't think anyone's required to watch it, it'd be good if they gave it a chance, though.

• Brohoof 2

Personally, I do not like the high school movie angle that it appears to be taking. I think it's way overdone. Meghan and her team have shown an ability to come up with unique, original, and interesting storylines, and I wanted to see more of that here.

That being said, they may end up handling the "high school drama" theme in an original way that helps set it apart from the others. Which is why I'm definitely going to see it. If nothing else, it deserves a fair chance. :)

You can try and justify the various aspects of this movie however you want, but the fact still remains that this was entirely Hasbro's decision and the writers were forced into making this. Even Lauren Faust herself seems to be vehemently opposed to the movie.

I'm not saying that you should automatically be against it, just realize that it wasn't exactly made with the best or most reasonable intentions and woulnd't exist if not for Hasbro's greed.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not saying that you should automatically be against it, just realize that it wasn't exactly made with the best or most reasonable intentions and woulnd't exist if not for Hasbro's greed.

I did mention that this is out of Hasbro's greed, but when you think of it... MLP:FiM wouldn't exist if Hasbro wasn't greedy. Sometimes greed is a good thing, and greed sometimes makes things happen. Greed isn't always a bad thing in my opinion at all... After all, if you don't have money, the world might stop turning (not literally, ofc, but that's just how the world works). 

Everypony needs a little bit of greed, just to make things happen.

I did mention that this is out of Hasbro's greed, but when you think of it... MLP:FiM wouldn't exist if Hasbro wasn't greedy. Sometimes greed is a good thing, and greed sometimes makes things happen. Greed isn't always a bad thing in my opinion at all... After all, if you don't have money, the world might stop turning (not literally, ofc, but that's just how the world works). 

Everypony needs a little bit of greed, just to make things happen.

This is completely different though. Even if FiM is made for the sake of making money, it's at least a decent show that has good writing and original material. EqG isn't anywhere near as good as FiM is, and, again, the writers and creators of the show don't even want this to see the light of day. It's saying something when the person who created this series is against this movie. Hasbro has taken away all the writers' power and independence and are dumbing the show down because they think they'll make more money that way.

This is completely different though. Even if FiM is made for the sake of making money, it's at least a decent show that has good writing and original material. EqG isn't anywhere near as good as FiM is, and, again, the writers and creators of the show don't even want this to see the light of day. It's saying something when the person who created this series is against this movie. Hasbro has taken away all the writers' power and independence and are dumbing the show down because they think they'll make more money that way.

Wait, where were the writers and such against the show? All I've seen is writers and creators being annoyed at bronies for not giving it a chance. Or getting upset at the backlash itself.

Wait, where were the writers and such against the show? All I've seen is writers and creators being annoyed at bronies for not giving it a chance. Or getting upset at the backlash itself.

https://twitter.com/Fyre_flye

Take a good look at her post about "American Girls". Does it not seem as though Faust is indirectly expressing her disapproval of EqG? She made this post immediately following the release of the EqG trailer.

My top 5 reasons for going to see Equestria Girls.

1. You are a brony, you gave this "girl" cartoon a chance, so why not this?

2. The original voice acting cast is coming back, which just sold me right off the get go.

3. Written by Meghan McCarthy, who's my favorite writer of the show.

4. Daniel Ingram, who makes great music is gonna be writing almost all of it for Equestria Girls.

5. The Art. The original concept art was horrible, but they changed it. Hasbro listened to us and changed their design.

This is gonna be one hell of a movie, you should watch it. :) /)

I disagree with the Spike dog thing. What you said about him and his personality is true but that shouldn't mean he should be a dog in the actual movie. That's like saying Rainbow Dash is strong, fast, and prideful so make her a lion or something. Anyway, I think it would have been more plausible to just make him a young boy. After all; he's around the age of the CMC and they are present within the high school so in my opinion; Spike being a dog is more out of place than him being a regular boy.

Thanks for that write-up - I enjoyed it. And I think the writing, directing, and musical talent will end up doing a good job with whatever premise they're handed. They've proved themselves before.

It's showing in a theater within walking distance of where I live, so it's pretty tempting. I said in another thread that this might be the only opportunity to see my favorite Mane6 characters on a big screen, even if they're only in it for a few minutes. Everything else aside, that's the most compelling reason I can think of to see it in June...

https://twitter.com/Fyre_flye

Take a good look at her post about "American Girls". Does it not seem as though Faust is indirectly expressing her disapproval of EqG? She made this post immediately following the release of the EqG trailer.

Not really, no. She seems to be directly talking about how Mattel (Hasbro's direct competitor) has turned a product line that included historical dolls of various 'races', into a homogenous white-only, modern-only line with little to differentiate individual dolls from one another.

Unless you're saying that Equestria Girls is being similarly homogenized, I'm not getting the connection other than the similar name.

Thanks for that write-up - I enjoyed it. And I think the writing, directing, and musical talent will end up doing a good job with whatever premise they're handed. They've proved themselves before.

The writers have already shown they can take something that doesn't sound too good and make it great. For me they proved themselves in Canterlot wedding. When I first saw that trailer that described a wedding and Twilight's brother who no one knew existed I instantly thought it was going to be rubbish but I was proven wrong and now it's my favourite episode. I may not be too keen on the whole high school concept but I am going to give this movie a chance it may become an instant favourite.

• Brohoof 2