Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if the crown wasn't stolen, but part of a test?

Commander_PonyShep

(edited)

Remember Magical Mystery Cure?  Originally, we thought Twilight would create her own spell to reverse the cutie-mark switch-up.  However, once we saw the actual episode, she resolved the problem by having her friends restore their cutie-marks for each other, rather than outright create a new spell.  As for the spell, it wasn't really Twilight's but rather Starswirl's, which caused the cutie-mark switch-up in the first place, and that Twilight must finish it to become the new princess of Equestria.

I bet the same is said for Equestria Girls' trailer, in that it lied to us for the same reason the previews for Magical Mystery Cure lied to us.  The crown might not be stolen after all.  Instead, Twilight might have to take another test to prove herself as a true princess, namely by entering the human world, retrieving the crown, and returning with it.  And, Celestia's previous student, Sunset Shimmer, might have been the last one to take the test, but never returned from the human world for unknown reasons.

This is also probably the reason why Twilight went in the mirror alone, with no one but Spike to accompany her.  Princess Celestia felt it was Twilight's test and hers' alone, and that she should handle it on her own, with no one but not only Spike, but also those five humans who look and act like her friends.

So really, if any time the movie reveals that it was actually a test this whole time, then why did the previews and trailer lie to us and say that the crown was stolen?

Edited by Commander_PonyShep
  • Brohoof 4

Remember Magical Mystery Cure?  Originally, we thought Twilight would create her own spell to reverse the cutie-mark switch-up.  However, once we saw the actual episode, she resolved the problem by having her friends restore their cutie-marks for each other, rather than outright create a new spell.  As for the spell, it wasn't really Twilight's but rather Starswirl's, which caused the cutie-mark switch-up in the first place, and that Twilight must finish it to become the new princess of Equestria.

I bet the same is said for Equestria Girls' trailer, in that it lied to us for the same reason the previews for Magical Mystery Cure lied to us.  The crown might not be stolen after all.  Instead, Twilight might have to take another test to prove herself as a true princess, namely by entering the human world, retrieving the crown, and returning with it.  And, Celestia's previous student, Sunset Shimmer, might have been the last one to take the test, but never returned from the human world for unknown reasons.

This is also probably the reason why Twilight went in the mirror alone, with no one but Spike to accompany her.  Princess Celestia felt it was Twilight's test and hers' alone, and that she should handle it on her own, with no one but not only Spike, but also those five humans who look and act like her friends.

So really, if any time the movie reveals that it was actually a test this whole time, then why did the previews and trailer lie to us and say that the crown was stolen?

Huh you might actually be onto something there. Since the advert starts with twilight saying shes "a little nervous" witch is more like the reaction to an upcoming test as aposed to an upcoming search and retrive mission and surely if the crown had been stolen then all the mane 6 would have gone to help retrieve it and not just Twilight.

If there is anything in the previews or trailer that is revealed to be untrue, then it is undoubtedly for the purpose of concealing important plot points. Aren't people ripping on the trailer for giving away too much of the story anyway? 

As for whether it is a test or not, I have no doubt that this will be some kind of test of her abilities as a princess, the only question is whether this was orchestrated by Celestia or not. I'm inclined to doubt it, even if doing something like this wouldn't be out of character from her. I don't think Celestia has any kind of explicit influence over Sunset Shimmer.

(edited)

If there is anything in the previews or trailer that is revealed to be untrue, then it is undoubtedly for the purpose of concealing important plot points. Aren't people ripping on the trailer for giving away too much of the story anyway? 

As for whether it is a test or not, I have no doubt that this will be some kind of test of her abilities as a princess, the only question is whether this was orchestrated by Celestia or not. I'm inclined to doubt it, even if doing something like this wouldn't be out of character from her. I don't think Celestia has any kind of explicit influence over Sunset Shimmer.

Not to mention, it's apparently much easier to say that the crown was stolen, than that it was all a part of a test to prove whether or not Twilight is a true princess.

Which makes me wonder.  Didn't Twilight already take a test in Twilight Sparkle and The Crystal Heart Spell, where she had to prove herself a true leader by depending on her friends as always?

Frankly, I'd find that annoying. I'm already uncomfortable with the prospect that Celestia had planned for Twilight to overcome every antagonist (aside from the changelings, who as far as we know were not expected) and that everything was part of some test. To have Celestia still "testing" Twilight after she has become a princess would be redundant and make the new position pointless if she's still running around as Celestia's student.

• Brohoof 3

Frankly, I'd find that annoying. I'm already uncomfortable with the prospect that Celestia had planned for Twilight to overcome every antagonist (aside from the changelings, who as far as we know were not expected) and that everything was part of some test. To have Celestia still "testing" Twilight after she has become a princess would be redundant and make the new position pointless if she's still running around as Celestia's student.

That's the way I felt when I read the title of the topic. I hope this is not another freaking test, or else Celestia is getting to obsessive levels with this constant testing of her faithful student.

I'm not against Sunset Shimmer being a former student of Celestia's, but this being another test would be ridiculous. I think this should probably fall under a real mission that Celestia has for her newest Princess, and that's about it.

• Brohoof 1

That's the way I felt when I read the title of the topic. I hope this is not another freaking test, or else Celestia is getting to obsessive levels with this constant testing of her faithful student.

I'm not against Sunset Shimmer being a former student of Celestia's, but this being another test would be ridiculous. I think this should probably fall under a real mission that Celestia has for her newest Princess, and that's about it.

Think back to Twilight Sparkle and The Crystal Heart Spell.  Wasn't that another test in and of itself, where for her to unlock the titular spell she has to learn what it takes to be a true leader?

And besides, plot-holes are inevitable when writing stories.  They can never be erased from the story, and when a writer tries to get rid of them, he/she could end up inadvertently creating more plot-holes.  It's why writers instead choose to at least minimize the amount of plot-holes, rather than try to get rid of them all while inadvertently creating several more.  This show had plenty of plot-holes, for example, from the girls teaching Rainbow Dash about humility at the expense of their own in Mysterious Mare Do Well, to Spike acting ridiculously out-of-character in Spike At Your Service.

Think back to Twilight Sparkle and The Crystal Heart Spell.  Wasn't that another test in and of itself, where for her to unlock the titular spell she has to learn what it takes to be a true leader?

And besides, plot-holes are inevitable when writing stories.  They can never be erased from the story, and when a writer tries to get rid of them, he/she could end up inadvertently creating more plot-holes.  It's why writers instead choose to at least minimize the amount of plot-holes, rather than try to get rid of them all while inadvertently creating several more.  This show had plenty of plot-holes, for example, from the girls teaching Rainbow Dash about humility at the expense of their own in Mysterious Mare Do Well, to Spike acting ridiculously out-of-character in Spike At Your Service.

Yes... yes it was. Which is why this being another test would be ridiculous.

And I never mentioned plot holes at all. I merely was saying this being another test would be going overboard on Celestia's part. It's like she has this whole filly's life planned out from the beginning and we can only watch as Twilight is molded into the pony Celestia wants her to be. I have no issue with the tests that have come up thus far in the story, but it would be kind of weird to keep on having all of these plots simply be more and more tests from Celestia. So I'm not bashing the writers at this point, and, since this isn't even part of the mane series, it doesn't bother me that much. I'm simply saying that if is indeed another test, I just find that ridiculous.

• Brohoof 3

And I never mentioned plot holes at all. I merely was saying this being another test would be going overboard on Celestia's part. It's like she has this whole filly's life planned out from the beginning and we can only watch as Twilight is molded into the pony Celestia wants her to be. I have no issue with the tests that have come up thus far in the story, but it would be kind of weird to keep on having all of these plots simply be more and more tests from Celestia. So I'm not bashing the writers at this point, and, since this isn't even part of the mane series, it doesn't bother me that much. I'm simply saying that if is indeed another test, I just find that ridiculous.

What he said. This isn't about plot holes, it's about a repetitive framing device that serves no purpose then to have us question how effective Celestia is.

Twilight should be past that stuff now. She should be going on missions, not her teacher's assignments.

Again, let's not forget about Twilight Sparkle and The Crystal Heart Spell.  The whole story revolved around her taking another test: Find out what it takes to be a true leader, and in the process unlock the Crystal Heart Spell.

What he said. This isn't about plot holes, it's about a repetitive framing device that serves no purpose then to have us question how effective Celestia is.

Twilight should be past that stuff now. She should be going on missions, not her teacher's assignments.

Again, Twilight Sparkle and The Crystal Heart Spell.

And besides, Meghan McCarthy said that Twilight still has a lot more to learn even as a princess.  She's new to the idea of leading her own kingdom, so Celestia had to send her on another test to familiarize herself with the concept of leadership, even if it means turning into a human and interacting with five more humans resembling her friends.

Again, let's not forget about Twilight Sparkle and The Crystal Heart Spell.  The whole story revolved around her taking another test: Find out what it takes to be a true leader, and in the process unlock the Crystal Heart Spell.

Yes, well, just because a particular trope has happened before doesn't mean we are fine with it now. I felt that was the weakest part of that book, actually. Why couldn't have Twilight just have initiative and just sought out that info for herself instead of having it be part of somebody else's plan for her?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yes, well, just because a particular trope has happened before doesn't mean we are fine with it now. I felt that was the weakest part of that book, actually. Why couldn't have Twilight just have initiative and just sought out that info for herself instead of having it be part of somebody else's plan for her?

Even then, it's the only logical explanation as to why Twilight went into the mirror alone.  If the crown was actually stolen, Twilight could've brought her friends with her.

Even then, it's the only logical explanation as to why Twilight went into the mirror alone.  If the crown was actually stolen, Twilight could've brought her friends with her.

What if you have to be an Alicorn to enter the mirror? I guess that wouldn't explain why Spike can go with her, but it would explain why nopony else could. Celestia and Luna have duties with the sun and moon, and Cadance needs to rule over the Crystal Empire, so they'd all be too busy to do it themselves. Or maybe the mirror has rules, like only two living beings at a time or something.

I'm not completely sure. But I'd dislike it if it was yet another test from Celestia. Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't ruin the movie for me, but it would bother me a little. 

This is true.

I'm just a bit tired of the whole "this was actually a test, LAWL" thing. It's been played out, and like I said, it's a bit creepy to think that Celestia has this all planned out. What, did she chuck the damn thing into the mirror herself?

Sunset Shimmer enters Equestria, steals the crown, and then returns to Earth. Twilight Sparkle in hot pursuit.

I'm just glad Sunset Shimmer is actually a thing.

(edited)

This is true.

I'm just a bit tired of the whole "this was actually a test, LAWL" thing. It's been played out, and like I said, it's a bit creepy to think that Celestia has this all planned out. What, did she chuck the damn thing into the mirror herself?

When you think about it, though, it does seem a bit redundant.  Same way with Twilight Sparkle and The Crystal Heart Spell; to become a leader, she had to unlock the Crystal Heart Spell by proving herself as one, even though she already became a full-fledged leader.  So now she took one post-coronation test in a novel, but has to take another by turning human and meeting humanized versions of her friends?

But then again, think about Twilight taking post-coronation tests as moving up from college to grad-school.  If her coronation was graduating college, then her time spent as a princess is going through grad-school.

Also...

Sunset Shimmer enters Equestria, steals the crown, and then returns to Earth. Twilight Sparkle in hot pursuit.

I'm just glad Sunset Shimmer is actually a thing.

That was a joke, right?  How can Sunset enter Equestria and steal the crown, but then try to win it at a prom-queen competition?  And besides, I thought Sunset was one of Celestia's past students, who probably entered the mirror as part of her test, but never returned and stayed in the human-world as the stereotypical mean-girl.

If it really is a test, then Celestia needs to get a life. Seriously, she needs to stop putting Twilight through all these arguably threatening tasks. She's faced dangerous opponents like Discord and Sombra so Twilight has nothing left to prove to Equestria and Celstia that she's a fit ruler.

Plus, if the entire thing was a test from the start and Celestia knew all along that Sunset Shimmer was going to be corrupted and stay in the human world to prove a point to Twilight, than she really needs to stop putting ponies in positions like this to train a sucessor. It's kinda selfish.

• Brohoof 1

If it really is a test, then Celestia needs to get a life. Seriously, she needs to stop putting Twilight through all these arguably threatening tasks. She's faced dangerous opponents like Discord and Sombra so Twilight has nothing left to prove to Equestria and Celstia that she's a fit ruler.

Plus, if the entire thing was a test from the start and Celestia knew all along that Sunset Shimmer was going to be corrupted and stay in the human world to prove a point to Twilight, than she really needs to stop putting ponies in positions like this to train a sucessor. It's kinda selfish.

Agreed.

Also, while I always assumed Sunset was the one behind all this, was there some recent confirmation that she totally is, or is everyone just assuming that as well?

Again, if Twilight's coronation is graduating college, then her post-coronation tests are graduate school.  The reason?  Because she's new to leading Equestria, and has a lot more to learn.

Besides, the last time she had to take a post-coronation test, it was in Twilight Sparkle and The Crystal Heart Spell.  In order to unlock the spell of the book's title, she had to prove herself a true leader, namely by depending on her friends like she always does. It's appropriate that entering the human-world to recover a crown would be another post-coronation test to prepare her to become a full-fledged leader.

Honestly, I hope, that one day, we get a "Celestia's born out of idealism but cruel master plan unveiled episode".

For serious, is it Twilight's destiny to be a princess and Celestia needed to enforce her, or is it because she enforced her, that Twilight's destiny is being a princess? Is it Celestia's or destiny's will, that all of that happened?

If the whole thing with the crown is just another test, what does Celestia want? Make Twilight her succesor, a pony who just doesn't want to disappoint her mentor? Having a struggling Deus ex machina everytime, a new threat appears?

That's the only question that returns to my mind frequently when thinking about the show's future episodes: What the hay is Celestia's plan?

• Brohoof 1

That was a joke, right? How can Sunset enter Equestria and steal the crown, but then try to win it at a prom-queen competition? And besides, I thought Sunset was one of Celestia's past students, who probably entered the mirror as part of her test, but never returned and stayed in the human-world as the stereotypical mean-girl.

Granted, I haven't exactly been following Equestria Girls so I didn't know that part. Thanks for spoiling it though in your quest for validation.

Adventure-Time-Eat-It-Gif.gif

• Brohoof 1

It would be pretty dishonest and manipulative for it to secretly be a test. Secrecy implies mistrust and undermines genuine communication. As much as I disliked the Crystal Empire opener, at least Celestia was upfront about the testing. 

Besides the treachery, there are also practical problems. What the heck would Celestia be testing about Twilight? What does she do if Twilight fails? Would there be some sort of big de-coronation ceremony where Twilight's crown is ceremonially taken away and her title of Princess revoked?

In addition, Twilight's getting closer to being Celestia's equal. I doubt the Sun Princess wants a co-ruler who's been taught that it's A-OK to secretly "test" people with life-threatening experiences. She might find herself the subject at some point.

• Brohoof 2

I think the crown being stolen but as part of a test, could really start some distrust. To me, I don't think Celestia has anything else to teach Twilight as this point. But for now, we can only have speculations on what will happen.

(edited)

I think the crown being stolen but as part of a test, could really start some distrust. To me, I don't think Celestia has anything else to teach Twilight as this point. But for now, we can only have speculations on what will happen.

I'm not saying that the crown was both stolen and part of a test.  I'm saying that the crown was not stolen, and that it had been in the human-world since the beginning, with nopony stealing it.  For Twilight, she has to recover the crown from the human-world as part of her princess test, much like when she had to uncover the Crystal Heart Spell by learning about the qualities of a true leader.

Yes, it would be redundant to give Twilight post-coronation tests, but she's new to the idea of leading her own kingdom, so, she has to be given more tests to prove herself a true leader.

I'm not saying that the crown was both stolen and part of a test.  I'm saying that the crown was not stolen, and that it had been in the human-world since the beginning, with nopony stealing it.  For Twilight, she has to recover the crown from the human-world as part of her princess test, much like when she had to uncover the Crystal Heart Spell by learning about the qualities of a true leader.

Yes, it would be redundant to give Twilight post-coronation tests, but she's new to the idea of leading her own kingdom, so, she has to be given more tests to prove herself a true leader.

Wait... so Princess Celestia is a dirty thief now too? If the crown wasn't tossed into the human world, that means that it's not Celestia's and doesn't belong in the pony world at all. Meaning that essentially Twilight is being sent to steal a crown that she shouldn't be stealing. Sure, Sunset Shimmer isn't a good person, but that doesn't give the ponies the right to steal a crown from another Universe for no apparent reason-

Wait... perhaps this is part of the test for proving whether or not Twilight would make a good Princess! After all, one of the mane duties of Government is to steal from the people.

*Smiles coyly*