Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilie, Twili, Twily or Twiley?

Dowlphin

I keep wondering about this, and since I'm using her nickname in titles, I'd like to know.

When Shining Armor says it, it sounds like "Twiley", but isn't the "ey" ending kinda reserved for male persons? I assumed that in the same way, "i" and "ie" are for female persons and "y" fits either both or neither well.

Are there any clues that bring more certainty about this?

MLP Wiki uses "Twiley", but is that based on anything, or just assumption?

'Tis a consequence of having multiple letter configurations make the same sound. I myself use "Twily"; it just seems like the right way to me. That said, I don't feel as if "Twiley" is wrong. But, both "Twilie" and "Twili" definitely seem wrong, at least to me.

Until an official spelling is released, I'm not sure if we can make this call. I've not really noticed any hints aside from its pronunciation, which is where this problem stems from in the first place. huh.png

I use Twily. Just what first popped into my head really. That and 'Twili' reminds me of Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Which is sort of ironic now I think about it.

The first time I saw it in text, it was Twily, so that's what I prefer. The other forms feel a bit awkward to me, though that could be caused by my bias toward Twily.

• Brohoof 1

Twilie has too many vowels and I don't like it.

Twili is a race of grey-skinned mystics from a world of twilight in the Legend of Zelda

Twily I can't stop reading as "Twilly"

Twiley is weird to look at but the closet I'd say to a correct spelling of Twilights nickname

Towelie is a stoned towel on South Park

• Brohoof 2

MLP Wiki uses "Twiley", but is that based on anything, or just assumption?

Huh?  I had the same question about the spelling when I did a big report on Twilight's personality so I looked at MLP Wiki also.  In the transcripts for A Canterlot Wedding, it is spelled "Twily":  http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Transcripts/A_Canterlot_Wedding_-_Part_1

MLP Wiki says that transcripts "are transcribed by ear, sometimes with the aid of closed captions, by contributors to this wiki."

If MLP Wiki themselves is inconsistent with the spelling, that is very telling about how confusing this is.  What page did you see "Twiley" on? 

Ironically, I've never really thought much about it before. I'd have to say that, at a glance, Twiley looks the most aesthetically pleasing to me.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

A Twilight by any other name looks just as cute ;)

I myself go with Twily

I guess until something official comes out I guess you can write it how ever you want

Edited by Argumedies

"Twiley" makes the most sense to me can't really say why but i feel like thats how it should be spelt based on the sound. oh, also cos it reminds me of miley cyrus

I like the Twily the best! I think it looks the cutest and it was what I first thought it was spelled when Shining Armor called out to Twilight. ;)

Twiley just looks right to me.  As has been mentioned above, Twily just looks too much like "Twilly" (rhymes with Willie). 

Unfortunately, we'll never know unless the writers or voice actors (or anyone who's seen the scripts) says anythign.

I use Twiley. Something about looks the most "correct" to me. It just looks the most appealing to my eyes. Twily and Twili and Twilie look weird to me.

I'm a stickler for official usage, so I use "Twily," the way it is transcribed by the MLP Wiki. I believe I used to spell it as "Twiley" shortly after "A Canterlot Wedding," but I have since changed my ways.

I will accept both "Twiley" and "Twily", although myself I use "Twiley. Any other form does not please my OCD CDO.

In other words, I don't like any spelling that is not "Twiley" or "Twily".

• 8 months later...