Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Twilight's friends actually help her in the Season Four premiere?

Commander_PonyShep

29 users have voted

1. 1. Will Twilight's friends return to being resourceful to her?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

You know, one of the most disappointing things I've found in Equestria Girls is the fact that Twilight's friends couldn't accompany her into the human-world, so instead she turns to their human-counterparts, whom in my opinion are bad, BAD substitutes for their ponified selves.

This is why I hope that, in Season Four, they make the two-part premiere a save-the-world story like always.  They set up a situation where Twilight thinks she could take on something on her own, especially after becoming an alicorn princess.  Then after that, just when she realizes that she's in over her head, her friends arrive to save her, as well as teach her that, even as an alicorn princess, her true source of magical power are her friends, rather than just a fancy pair of wings alone.

Yes, I'm still upset over this, and I don't like beating you over the head about this problem as you do.  But what else can I say here?

Edited by Commander_PonyShep
  • Brohoof 1

I have this feeling that Twilight won't be all that comfortable with being a princess, being cocky has never really been her thing, if anything shes more humble, not necessarily under confident, but just more humble. I personally think she'll be adjusting to becoming an Alicorn or something, and her friends will help her, I think she will remain mostly humble, maybe they'll throw in a moment of her getting over confident who knows for sure, but I think due to Twilights character she won't be taking it all by herself unless she thinks it will endanger her friends to much. (Even then in most cases they will follow her anyways, only reason they stayed behind in EqG's is because the princesses told them to along with Twilight.)

I have hope for S4, I think it can be good, but I shall remain neutral for the sake of not having to worry about being disappointed if theres any tragedy that happens.

At the very least I can always enjoy daniel ingrams amazing music :D.

Oh and your right on the whole save the world thing, if its anything like the other premiers there will be some sort of villain, hope its a good one :D.

I know this is your "thing" and though I've never understood I'm going to give you my thoughts.

First, in the whole history of the show I can't remember a time when Twilight didn't use the help of her friends. Not wanting help was a plot point in Season 1 ep 1 & 2, but at the end she realized they she did need help. Actually AJ is far more stubborn, as is Rainbow Dash, about asking for help. If you think about it logically Celestia, being the most poweful being in Equestria, should not need help, but in fact she does, and has no problem asking for help. I just don't get why people can't accept that Twilight won't be any different.

Edited by Nature Spell
  • Brohoof 1

I know this is your "thing" and though I've never understood I'm going to give you my thoughts.

First, in the whole history of the show I can't remember a time when Twilight didn't use the help if her friends. Not wanting help was a plot point in Season 1 ep 1 & 2, but at the end she realized they she did need help. Actually AJ is far more stubborn, as is Rainbow Dash, about asking for help. If you think about it logically Celestia, being the most poweful being in Equestria, should not need help, but in fact she does and has no problem asking for help. I just don't get why people can't accept that Twilight won't be any different.

I could've mentioned this in a previous thread or two, but this is what I'm fearing.

Any moment now, MLP will go against its own core essence for the sake of restoring viewer ratings.  I've seen it before with countless other franchises, from Sega releasing Shadow the Hedgehog, complete with seriousness, nihilism, and gun violence, to Mass Effect 3 with its convoluted ending that went against every choice each player made in his or her individual playthroughs.

The Crystal Empire was a sign of that.  Twilight had to find the Crystal Heart with nopony else but Spike to help her, while her friends are left behind to stall King Sombra with the Crystal Fair.  And when you leave behind your own friends, even if it's so that they could buy you time, you know you have a problem

Same with Equestria Girls.  I know I keep saying this, but just because those five humans look like Twilight's friends, act like them, and share the same names as them, does NOT mean that they are her friends.  The only way they could be Twilight's friends is if they had memories of being ponies who hung out with Twilight a lot, and unfortunately they only have memories of being humans who never met Twilight.

Pointless poll, the source of Twilight's power is her friends, so without them she COULDN'T save the world, it's as simple as that.

Then why didn't they join Twilight through that mirror themselves?  And don't say, "because it would've upset the balance of the other world," because it's doesn't make any sense at all and isn't a good excuse.

Then why didn't they join Twilight through that mirror themselves?  And don't say, "because it would've upset the balance of the other world," because it's doesn't make any sense at all and isn't a good excuse.

1) Wasn't that explained in Equestria Girls?

2) This is the Season 4 premiere, not Equestria Girls 2. 

3) "Upsetting the balance of the other world" is a perfectly good answer, but not the one I would've put.

1) Wasn't that explained in Equestria Girls?

2) This is the Season 4 premiere, not Equestria Girls 2. 

3) "Upsetting the balance of the other world" is a perfectly good answer, but not the one I would've put.

With regard to the third part, what did you mean when you said, "not the one I would've put it"?

Besides, "upsetting the balance" is no excuse for going the Dragon Ball Z route of throwing every supporting character we knew and love by the wayside, while the main-protagonist becomes the ultimate solution to everything.

Then why didn't they join Twilight through that mirror themselves? And don't say, "because it would've upset the balance of the other world," because it's doesn't make any sense at all and isn't a good excuse.

Because Meghan McCarthy wanted to write it that way and she felt it was a cool angle. Beyond that I accept what Princess Celestia said in the movie.

As far as Crystal Empire it was Twilight's test! Did you even watch the episode? I'm not trying to be mean, but she in fact didn't "save the day" Spike, Cadence and even Shining Armor can claim that, but she did the right thing and took a big step to being a princess by realizing she couldn't save the day. Each pony in that ep did their job!

Edited by Nature Spell

With regard to the third part, what did you mean when you said, "not the one I would've put it"?

Besides, "upsetting the balance" is no excuse for going the Dragon Ball Z route of throwing every supporting character we knew and love by the wayside, while the main-protagonist becomes the ultimate solution to everything.

I meant that the third part was never my actual point. And also, you're talking about Equestria Girls, yet the thread you've created is concerning the Season 4 premiere, which will NOT BE EQUESTRIA GIRLS. As far was we're all concerned, Equestria Girls will have little to no impact on the stories in Season 4. They're two completely different things.

The Crystal Empire was a sign of that.  Twilight had to find the Crystal Heart with nopony else but Spike to help her, while her friends are left behind to stall King Sombra with the Crystal Fair.  And when you leave behind your own friends, even if it's so that they could buy you time, you know you have a problem

Same with Equestria Girls.  I know I keep saying this, but just because those five humans look like Twilight's friends, act like them, and share the same names as them, does NOT mean that they are her friends.  The only way they could be Twilight's friends is if they had memories of being ponies who hung out with Twilight a lot, and unfortunately they only have memories of being humans who never met Twilight.

I am sorry, but I am going to have to disagree with you that Twilight left her friends behind when the Crystal Empire was under siege.  Sometimes it is necessary in certain situations to split up and take on different roles to fulfill one's objective and this was one such case.  This is by no means a situation where you are leaving anyone behind and it would have done little good for all of them to go searching for the Crystal Heart.

In essence, Twilight will have to reply on her friend's more than ever now that she has ascended to this new and intimidating role and Twilight would have never gotten that far without them.  

• Brohoof 2

I meant that the third part was never my actual point. And also, you're talking about Equestria Girls, yet the thread you've created is concerning the Season 4 premiere, which will NOT BE EQUESTRIA GIRLS. As far was we're all concerned, Equestria Girls will have little to no impact on the stories in Season 4. They're two completely different things.

That's not what I meant, darn it!

All I'm saying is that Twilight's friends desperately need compensation for being thrown away and replaced by humanized rip-offs of themselves.  Any compensation, SOMETHING, just so long as it doesn't involve Twilight becoming a Mary Sue while her friends become useless waste.

That's not what I meant, darn it!

All I'm saying is that Twilight's friends desperately need compensation for being thrown away and replaced by humanized rip-offs of themselves.  Any compensation, SOMETHING, just so long as it doesn't involve Twilight becoming a Mary Sue while her friends become useless waste.

No, they don't 'need compensation', you just 'want' to see them in the opener, saving the day. Which is quite alright, as we all have a favourite pony. Also, I would hardly call the human versions 'rip offs'.

Anyway, my point is that EQG and S4 are quite different, and as far as you seem to be concerned, you believe that the events of EQG and S4 will be quite intertwined, which they most certainly WILL NOT BE. Take a chill pill, and see that the events of EQG will not affect S4 or anything in the FiM universe. It was a standalone film in which there was a separate storyline.

In all fairness, you come across as quite the 'Anti-Princess Twilight' brony.

• Brohoof 1

I have this feeling that Twilight won't be all that comfortable with being a princess, being cocky has never really been her thing

Who says that Twilight would have to be cocky in order to be a good princess? She can be everything she is right now and if she ever needs to really put her words down as final, I bet she could do that by herself without sounding "cocky". If not, she could always have other ponies to do it for her.

Though I do actually not think that Twilight Sparkle will be the ruler of Equestria for a very long time. As you mentioned in your post, I think she will be far too uncomfortable with the whole leadership of a whole land-thing that she, after maybe a couple of episodes, says that she can not rule the whole Equestria. Though, I really don't want this to happen way too early in the season since it would be a little bit boring if we just got to see her as princess for a short while. I think it would be fun if we got to see one, maybe two episodes where Twilight is taught, hopefully by Celestia, how to become a good leader. I also think it would be pretty funny if she failed a couple of times at the things, or maybe over-analyze the things she has to do. As Twilight always does, haha. Also, since she got wings now, I really hope that they decided to give us a moment when we get to see Rainbow Dash teaching Twilight how to fly.

I would like to see Twilight Sparkle's friends help her in normal daily things, maybe with a couple of duties as a princess. I personally do not want to see the premiere of season 4 being a two parter with a new villain that you guys mention, that makes Twilight think she doesn't need help by her friends since she's a princess, or whatever. First off, I don't like the idea of Twilight thinking that she doesn't need her friends. And secondly, I don't even want the season to start off epic with villains or other things that would cause trouble or a lot of fuss. I would love if they started out the season pretty calm and slow, and continue from where season 3 and Equestria Girls. Some people, @@PoniesPlease, for example says that Equestria Girls and FiM are two completely different things and that the events in Equestria Girls will not affect the storyline of season four. Well to me they are not different things. In fact, I see Equestria Girls as a longer episode between season 3 and season 4. Will the events in Equestria Girls affect the storyline of season 4? Probably not. Though I hope that, in that "calm and slow" premiere episode I was talking about, there will be some sort of continuation from where Equestria Girls ended. Some of those things could be something like Twilight Sparkle informing Celestia what happened back in the world of humans, and telling both Celestia and her friends how things are and works in that other unknown world. But that's probably all I would want there to be. There is no need that what happened back in the human world will affect the story of season 4. Especially not since it did not affect Equestria in any way.

I feel that I'm going a bit off-topic here, but Equestria Girls and FiM should be the same thing since they were back in Equestria in the start, plus it is the same characters and you can't just make a character do something in one place, and make that character forget what they've done in another. This is why I hate mini series based off movies where the main character, in the next movie, doesn't know or is affected by what he/she has been doing in the tv-series. Anyways, since Twilight was in another universe or planet (I mean come on it can't be in the same world) and the other members of the mane 6 had their human selves there, it, to me, means that Twilight would also have her own self in that world. And I agree with OP, @@Commander_PonyShep, I don't like the idea of Twilight's friends not being able to come with her into the other world. It just seems weird to me. Personally, even though Equestria Girls was better than I expected it to be, I dislike the whole idea behind it and I think that it just makes everything confusing.

So Equestria Girls aside, during the rest after the premiere episodes, after Twilight (hopefully) have told her friends and Celestia about the human world, she would start to learn all the princess stuff. And as I said earlier, Celestia would teach her, but instead of helping her out with a villain, Twilight's friends could maybe help her out to teach her all the new things she has to learn. And not only that, maybe Twilight needs to have some sort of speech or gathering of all ponies, and her friends could help her out with that. If we do, however get some sort of new villain or another big problem for the mane 6 to face, I do, of course, hope that all six would help eachother to defeat whatever it is. please please please no more villains come on it's ridiculous.

One more thing, I thought about something I read in another thread, about Twilight becoming corrupted (read that thread for the reasons). I don't think that would ever happen in the show, (inb4 wrong wrong wrong discord made all dem ponies corrupted) but that would be very interesting to see. Twilight becomes corrupted and her friends, and maybe somepony more, would have to help her.

But I don't really understand what your question is honestly.. Because the whole show is about being kind, understanding and to help each other. Why would they not help Twilight?

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 4

@@Jokuc, I have to say that I still don't really like Equstria girls, but this was perhaps one of the most differenitiated (I hope that's the right word) opinions on the whole "affecting the canon" thing and the future of the show.

On topic:

They were always resourceful. Point.

You have your opinion and I respect that, @@Commander_PonyShep, and I agree in some way with some things you say, but this is not one of them.

And maybe my two cents on the whole "it won't affect the canon" thing.

Even if the events from Equestria Girls will never be mentioned in the show... Who wrote it? Exactly. The same person who also has a huge influence on the show. If you didn't like the style or idea of Equestria Girls (like me) you know what you maybe have to expect. Just maybe.

The events may not be directly canon, but if new things will be presented in a similar way in the new season, it will definitely give us topics for discussions.

• Brohoof 1

You know, one of the most disappointing things I've found in Equestria Girls is the fact that Twilight's friends couldn't accompany her into the human-world, so instead she turns to their human-counterparts, whom in my opinion are bad, BAD substitutes for their ponified selves.

This is why I hope that, in Season Four, they make the two-part premiere a save-the-world story like always.  They set up a situation where Twilight thinks she could take on something on her own, especially after becoming an alicorn princess.  Then after that, just when she realizes that she's in over her head, her friends arrive to save her, as well as teach her that, even as an alicorn princess, her true source of magical power are her friends, rather than just a fancy pair of wings alone.

Yes, I'm still upset over this, and I don't like beating you over the head about this problem as you do.  But what else can I say here?

Well, what you described as your ideal premiere is basically what happened in EqG. Twilight left her friends and tried to take on this new world alone, but realized that she could never succeed without them. One of the main themes of EqG was that you can find friendship anywhere, so I liked that it didn't just have Twilight relying on her OLD friendships, but also building completely NEW ones.

• Brohoof 1

I believe the most obvious explanation for why Twilight's friends didn't follow her into the portal, is because Meghan didn't want to focus on six different characters having to adjust to a new universe. Lets say they did do what you suggest, and have Twilight bring her friends through the portal. From an "In-universe" stand-point, it makes sense. However from a writing standpoint, I would say it's an absolute nightmare.

Think about it, this movie had a little over an hour to present it's plot and solve the problem. Splitting the focus of the story in six different directions would've taken it's toll on the integrity of the plot, and the film would've lost it's focus. I could understand if it was only two or three characters crossing over, but you're talking about six different characters.

They managed to keep the theme of the show by keeping the mane six in their alternate forms. Nothing about the alternate characters makes them seem any less "real" than their pony versions, and they had a great deal to do with the plot. With their help Twilight defeated the big-bad.

Now, i'm not saying I was the biggest fan of EqG, but I certainly did feel that it reinforced the idea that the mane six still have a major role to play in Twilight's future. And if one thing's for sure, Twilight certainly did not come across as a Mary Sue, which seems to be everyone's favorite doomsday word to throw around nowadays.

Edited by TheGr3ml1n
  • Brohoof 3

Actually I always liked the idea of Sombra's horn turning Twilight evil and making her harm everypony. and then her friends somehow help her find her true self back and reclaim her own body.

Its like when Lich controlled the Princess and made her nearly destroy the Candy Kingdom in Adventure time. we already seen Sombras horn fying away so why not?

a_somber_meeting_by_omny87-d5yb8pk.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Really I hope Twilight doesn't save the day in the premiere. I hope it's the other mane 5 that do so. I love Twilight but to be honest she getting to much attention lately. MMC & EG were both way to Twilight focused and the preview of the premiere only showed Twilight vs Nightmare moon alone. I just kinda sick of Twilight doing things on her own. Let her firends beat the bad guy that would be nice to see.

Really I do hope that the rest of the cast really get their moment in the premiere.  That was a part of the problem with the Crystal Empire- it was all the Twilight Sparkle show and the rest were just there on the sidelines.  What made the Season 1 and 2 premieres so great was that they all had their moment- even against Discord, they were antagonists for a good portion of the story, but they all had their chance in the spotlight at times. 

A great way to show that this won't be the Alicorn Twilight Show would be to show this from the get go in the premiere.  In fact, at some point I;d love to see an epic 2 part finale/premiere that truly is an ensemble piece.

• Brohoof 2

Why the hell wouldn't they? They've done it every single time. In all honesty, Commander Ponyshep, every topic I've seen from you has been worrying about upcoming canon in some way or another. Can't you just relax a bit?

Of course, Twilight's friends will help her. They have helped her defeat Discord, Nightmare Moon, and other villains even when Twilight is an alicorn they are still able to help her overcome the odds to save the world. If they didn't help her, Twilight would have to enlist others to help her or she would do it on her own.

Twilights friends have always helped her and always well always help her. Weather it's big like beating Nightmare Moon or Discord or even doing something small like helping her keep the Crystal Ponies clam while she finds out where the Crystal Heart is. Twilight well never be as big headed as Trixie and well always want her friends help. Alicorn powers or no alicorn powers.

Also, you really need to stop with this whole, well Twilight's friends be helpful anymore? You have made this same topic like 4 or 5 times in the Equestria Girls section and now you are asking the same question in the show area. And you are getting the same answers. Twilights friends well not be throw away side-characters and well be used in the show to help her. Also EQG is not cannon to MLP season. Just like most anime shows get a movie, they don't affect the show at all. It's just a fun story to tell and not have it connect to the show. So you just need to move on with this and except what has happened.

Sorry if I'm being a downer right now, but I just felt like saying this.  

Edited by pinkiefan1287

Even if the events from Equestria Girls will never be mentioned in the show... Who wrote it? Exactly. The same person who also has a huge influence on the show. If you didn't like the style or idea of Equestria Girls (like me) you know what you maybe have to expect. Just maybe.

I-I want to scream.

Really I hope Twilight doesn't save the day in the premiere. I hope it's the other mane 5 that do so. I love Twilight but to be honest she getting to much attention lately. MMC & EG were both way to Twilight focused and the preview of the premiere only showed Twilight vs Nightmare moon alone. I just kinda sick of Twilight doing things on her own. Let her firends beat the bad guy that would be nice to see.

Well she is the main character. But I do totally understand what you mean.

@OP

Let's hope so. It's been a while since they've done something besides cover Twi's ass and since this is a teams how they'll need to do more than that in the future.

• Brohoof 1